Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairable Dripping Atomiser (RDA)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Yeah, there's always the risk that your tank won't fit......then you have to spend more on a tank....

Actually you're right anyway - the killer is not available yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Spent an hour redoing wicks/coils into the ceramic cups for my spiral last night, as most of the ones I had made before weren't firing at all right in it.

Even one of the new one I made last night and using now isn't as good as before or the ones you can buy... think I am missing a trick with them.

Looking at it here, I reckon I have the wick length right, perhaps just the wrong amount of turns on the coil, 4 and 5, it looks a bit 'loose' around the wick tbh.

How do you get a nice tight coil around the wick, I've been using a sewing needle to hold it in place., 2mm wick, .2 kanthal. Don't think I *need* NR wire like the ones you buy, as some of the coils I've made before have worked great.

Anyone else rebuilding these? If so, what wick size, wire size, method?

Thanks *nods*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Lucutus wrote: »
    How do you get a nice tight coil around the wick, I've been using a sewing needle to hold it in place., 2mm wick, .2 kanthal. Don't think I *need* NR wire like the ones you buy, as some of the coils I've made before have worked great.
    Sewing needle should do the job perfectly. You don't want to wind it too tight, if the coils are digging into the wick they will choke it and the juice won't flow through as easily. The pressure from you winding the coil around the wick/needle should make it plenty tight enough.

I haven't used a spiral, so don't know how well this would work, but one thing you could try is doubling up the wick so you end up with effectively 4mm. On a Clockworks RDA I use 1mm doubled twice to give me 4x1mm and it works fantastically, I use 3x1mm sometimes and it's still pretty good but not noticeably not quite as good, so I'd imagine 1x2mm could be a bit borderline.

Oh yea, doubling up the wick alright, loop at one end to go around the base.

Found a vid that goes through the same steps as I do, albeit in a long winded way, when you've done a few in a row it gets a lot quicker...

Here's the original one I saw, putting in the ceramic cup into the base is very easy using this way to get the wick wrapped around inside:

Thought I'd make one last splurge.............and I've just received the Spiral Dripper. I've had a good vape off of it and it performs very well and I can see that it wont be very prone to leaks which were my issues with both the Bulli and Clockworks RDA. Lovely vapes but leaked like sieves through the air holes.

It's almost like a hybrid of both, the volume of the RDA and the flavour and vapour of the Bulli. Nice little kit and the size is quite compact.

Not sure what diameter wick it's built with? Probably have a look at some of the above vids when I get a chance. Not spending any more for a good while on stuff.....the only think that I might spend on in future is the Killer but I'll wait till theres a lot more info from some guinea pig like Digby first.......and I know Digby will end up buying it!

• Advertisement

I use 2mm wick, for the coil, 4 wraps of .20 kanthal.

Get a pack of replacement cup assemblies so you have 5 ceramic cups to reuse.

Yeah - the website wouldnt let me order any when I bought it and it still wont let me. Tells me to select resistance but theres nothing in there when I try to do that. Maybe theres none in stock?

Aye, I've noticed that on ESI when they are out of stock, same for juices, can't select strengh to proceed. Website needs some work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭unblvlblkult

Hi,

I've had a Herb RDA for a while now and it's been working out great in general. €9 from the irish vendor I got it from and it's been much easier to use than the phoenix I had previously. In the last couple of weeks however I've been having issues with it where-by flavour is tainted and seems like it's not wicking properly until I re-build and then it's fine for a couple of days after. When I got this first a coil would last me at least a couple of weeks at a stretch but now I'm getting half a week before I need to do a full clean and re-coil.
    Any suggestions as to what is going on
    Thanks!

Have you got a link to the device? Havent heard of a 'Herb' RDA before myself.

• Advertisement

http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/rebuildable-atomizers/191-herb-rebuildable-atomizer.html

Couldn't find reference to it anywhere else on the WWW. was tring to find out info about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

When I got this first a coil would last me at least a couple of weeks at a stretch but now I'm getting half a week before I need to do a full clean and re-coil.
    Any suggestions as to what is going on
    Thanks!

A couple of weeks if you're using cotton or silica is astounding, and would either mean you were barely hitting it or you vaped at low wattage.
    Have you increased your voltage at all?
    Has the device gone from being a periphery device to your main vape?
    Half a week out of a device used every day would be pretty average for silica or cotton builds.

I would try disassembling that and cleaning the whole lot in hot water/cheap vodka to make sure all the contacts etc are clean and just rebuild it again.

Have you changed juice recently? Some are sweeter than others and can gunk up your coil, leading to a slightly burnt taste much faster.

The fact both of us can't find any other info about it online is kinda telling in itself though!

Maybe try a phoenix from ESI or splash out on a spiral dripper pro?

Couple of week smay be at a stretch but certainly over one week. Had a phoenix before and they were horrible to work with/use. only change I've made recently is to use silica wick instead of cotton. They lasted much longer initially (cotton just disintegrates within a week). Generally using the same liquid all the time (currently H.o.L Guevara).
    Just wondering could this be a case of chrome being worn away and base metal tainting juice (does this even happen)?

Just thinking I rebuilt this friday evening about 7 and the performance dropped sunday. May have run it a little dry toward the end of the match (stress was getting to me) before I topped it up. Could this have damaged/burned the wick hence the taste?

Could be that.

Could also be the chrome wearing away and the juice turning green from the copper, but you'd notice that (unless you vape only green liquids).

Could be lots of things.
    If you vape with it a lot I'd expect gunking/flavour-drop within a few days. Especially using eBaron's juices.
    The only way around that is SS mesh, or more regular recoiling.

grindle wrote: »
    Could be that.

Could also be the chrome wearing away and the juice turning green from the copper, but you'd notice that (unless you vape only green liquids).

Could be lots of things.
    If you vape with it a lot I'd expect gunking/flavour-drop within a few days. Especially using eBaron's juices.
    The only way around that is SS mesh, or more regular recoiling.

Within 2 days of last re-coil tho? Been using el toro stuff for a while and never had this hassle.
    Think I might change device - should I stick with RDA and gor for spiral or change and go for AGA-T. Recommendations please...:D

Jaysus, when I'm vaping El Toro it's every 2-3 days. Find cotton easier to replace so I just do that. Takes 1-2 mins.

Only get an AGA if you need or want a tank.

Within 2 days of last re-coil tho? Been using el toro stuff for a while and never had this hassle.
    Think I might change device - should I stick with RDA and gor for spiral or change and go for AGA-T. Recommendations please...:D

I've had a Bulli and Clockworks RDA for a good while and just got the spiral today. I think the spiral has the flavour and draw of the Bulli with the volume of the RDA. If I was recommending a dripper to somebody who's taking up dripping I'd recommend the spiral but if you've already got a Bulli or RDA I don't think there's a huge difference in the spiral over them. All three are quality really.

Only have the "Herb" Repairable Dripping Atomiser (as linked above) not Clockworks. It's a fairly cheap yolk and probably not stainless steel.
    Not sure what to do.

How does mesh wick work in a dripping atty? Is it a case of standing the coil and SS mesh wick vertically?

• Advertisement

No, you can make the same as a normal wick and have a tail of mesh that sits in the juice, or just rub some cotton fluff on the edges of a small mesh wick, that'll bring the juice to the mesh

Thanks all.

Feeling guilty. I have just blown my vaping budget for the next couple of months on a AGA T & a Spiral. Will get some mesh at some point. taste of this thing is just pants now and I'm convinced it's the device not performing as it was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I've had a Bulli and Clockworks RDA for a good while and just got the spiral today. I think the spiral has the flavour and draw of the Bulli with the volume of the RDA. If I was recommending a dripper to somebody who's taking up dripping I'd recommend the spiral but if you've already got a Bulli or RDA I don't think there's a huge difference in the spiral over them. All three are quality really.

flavour AND draw of the bulli? really?

well now that is tempting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Go on, you know your just looking for a reason to buy one. :D

if only i'd read this thread before I paid for the bins this morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Tough decision, live in squalor with a sexy dripping atomizer or in a clean and healthy environment with a plain old dripper.

i dunno about clean or healthy but there'll be less crisp packets on the floor come friday

For me, yeah. It's just like the Bulli when you've got that perfect amount of juice on the coil. You know that 2 x tokes that are not a little bit flooded and not a little bit under moist? Not having to line up the airhole and no leaks is another bonus too. To be fair though, it's not much better than either the Bulli or RDA, it just seems to have the best if both of the individual atties. I didn't rebuild it yet either so that could be a pain while the other 2 are pretty straightforward when your coiling mojo is actually on form......

id just like the volume of the rda but with the performance of the bulli. the vape out of the rda is just... missing something. plus the spiral/pro (cant decide which i'd prefer) is about as tiny as the rda. much as I love the bulli it's just so damn long

• Advertisement

I'm exactly the same! Love the flavour of the Bulli but the length is pretty long and tends to leak. Also, it can only hold a few drops to get the best vape. The RDA has the volume, small in length and tends to leak. The spiral has the volume, flavour, compactness and doesn't leak......if I was starting out on the dripping route, the spiral is the one to go for.....

At the same time, it doesn't vape any better than the Bulli or RDA at their best.

Advertisement