Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers and their summer holidays

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Aineoil wrote: »
    O Conaire wrote a collection of short stories in Irish called Scothscéalta. It used to be on the course for Leaving Cert.:)

Who knew.

Are you stalking me Aineoil? Be careful, ladies fall in love with me very fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Boombastic wrote: »
    And your inability to defend the length of holidays shows your obvious superiority and education.

You havn't really been following the replies have you, basically (yet again) the summer holidays thing are a legacy issue and teachers get paid on a 9/12 pro rata basis.

If you want me to work the summer Im all for it. Presume you are happy to give me a pay rise too.

Btw teachers dont get paid for the summer..

9/12

Answer that.

Also, what is your occupation?

^^The children in class use the diversion tactic too when they don't want to discuss the topic presented

Awaiting reply...

If you dont want to have to think to much then the Liveline thread should suit your hot air, failing that why dont you try posting in the Croke Park 2 thread in the Teaching forum...I'm sure you could help the teachers understand the lay of the land in education..

So...seeing as teachers dont get paid for the summer, would you be in agreement to pay them accordingly if they work for it?

What's you own profession BTW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Armelodie wrote: »
    Awaiting reply...

If you dont want to have to think to much then the Liveline thread should suit your hot air, failing that why dont you try posting in the Croke Park 2 thread in the Teaching forum...I'm sure you could help the teachers understand the lay of the land in education..

So...seeing as teachers dont get paid for the summer, would you be in agreement to pay them accordingly if they work for it?

What's you own profession BTW?

I don't know what reply you are waiting for as you haven't asked me a question, unless it's the one about should you be paid more? The answer to that is no. The salary you receive is enough compensation for a 39 hour week with statutory holidays.

I don't know
    what reply you are waiting for as you haven't asked me a question, unless it's the one about should you be paid more? The answer to that is no.

Ok thanks for the first part, you want us to work a month or two for no extra pay.. I can see the points shooting up for teaching allready, I know lets ship in teachers from eastern europe to do the jobs no one wants, like in the private sector services industry...
    The salary you receive is enough compensation for a 39 hour week with statutory holidays.

What's your own profession BTW? also tell me how much you earn just so we can be really fair, and then Ill be the judge of the 'salary' you receive.

Would you be advocating a system like cuba where a surgeon gets the same as the cleaner?

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for the first part, you want us to work a month or two for no extra pay.. I can see the points shooting up for teaching allready, I know lets ship in teachers from eastern europe to do the jobs no one wants, like in the private sector services industry...

What's your own profession BTW? also tell me how much you earn just so we can be really fair, and then Ill be the judge of the 'salary' you receive.

Would you be advocating a system like cuba where a surgeon gets the same as the cleaner?

No but I would like a system where a teacher is paid less than a Garda, who work shifts throughout the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

No but I would like a system where a teacher is paid less than a Garda, who work shifts throughout the year

I wouldn't. Gardaí are overpaid. They too get perks,,,e.g. retire at 55.

The reserve force proves that almost anyone can be a garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Rightwing wrote: »

Gardai are not even close to over payed

Rightwing wrote: »

Ok so Rightwing what is your profession again, just so we can compare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

:)

Yeah and Pádraic O Conaire was executed......you did re-quote that.

• Advertisement

Ah they are, but it's still less than what a teacher starts on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

My English would spell that as 'paid'. Hope this helps for future reference.

Ah they are, but it's still less than what a teacher starts on

In what sense are Gardai overpayed? Considering the job they do they really don't get enough imo

I know a few young Gardai struggling to get by on their salaries, really struggling

In what sense are Gardai overpayed? Considering the job they do they really don't get enough imo

I know a few young Gardai struggling to get by on their salaries, really struggling

But they don't have as hard a job as teachers

But they don't have as hard a job as teachers

In your opinion maybe

In your opinion maybe

No in the governments opinion, hence the difference in salaries and time worked

:)

Yeah and Pádraic O Conaire was executed......you did re-quote that.

This person didn't even see the mistake.

Would it make any difference that a teacher has to do more than 5 years training (UNPAID) before starting off on a part time basis which is often the same as the dole. Do this for about 5 years then maybe hope for something more secure like a 14 hour CID as there are no permanent posts any more..
    Also a guard gets paid during their 2 years training and starts off on a permanent rate the same as all his graduating peers.

I believe (and know personally) that the guards do a hell of a risky job with serious risks to life, but you can see from the above example that you can't compare the two professions ...apples and oranges...
    Dont nurses and dentists and doctors get paid during their block realease? Most if the lads I knew who did apprenticeships through FAS also got paid...So how about it ?

Fair is fair?

Or is your response, ah shur ye get too much allready?

What's your own bread and butter btw, just so we can compare?

Would it make any difference that a teacher has to do more than 5 years training (UNPAID) before starting off on a part time basis which is often the same as the dole. Do this for about 5 years then maybe hope for something more secure like a 14 hour CID as there are no permanent posts any more..
    Also a guard gets paid during their 2 years training and starts off on a permanent rate the same as all his graduating peers.

I believe (and know personally) that the guards do a hell of a risky job with serious risks to life, but you can see from the above example that you can't compare the two professions ...apples and oranges...
    Dont nurses and dentists and doctors get paid during their block realease? Most if the lads I knew who did apprenticeships through FAS also got paid...So how about it ?

Fair is fair?

Or is your response, ah shur ye get too much allready?

What's your own bread and butter btw, just so we can compare?

5 years unpaid training. Where do they do this? If you are referring to studying a college, they get the same grants as other students. Teaching practice in the classroom-this is part of your training, you can't learn everything from a book. By that logic science students should get paid for attending labs. Availability of permanent jobs is a different issue and if the school year was extended it would create more positions. What's the educational benefit of such long holidays for children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

5 years unpaid training. Where do they do this? If you are referring to studying a college, they get the same grants as other students.

I get no grants. I have to work part-time on the weekends to fund my training.
    Teaching practice in the classroom-this is part of your training, you can't learn everything from a book.

Nobody is saying it's not part of the training, but the Gardai do get paid as part of their training, teachers don't and student-teachers (like myself) also have to fund their own resources.
    Availability of permanent jobs is a different issue and if the school year was extended it would create more positions.

How on Earth did you come up with this?

I think it's fair to say your post was torn to threads. When suggesting that I get grants "like every other student" shows you haven't only got a clue about the education system, but you haven't a clue about teacher training as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

If you're talking about doing a teaching degree as your first undergraduate degree, it's subsidised by the government. You may still pay registration fees etc but they're comparatively little compared to the UK, where fees can be 10k (sterling) a year. Not everyone gets grants but your average student gets their fees paid.

Why would you argue with someone who re-quotes that Padraic O Conaire was involved in 1916? If you want to debate, know your subject area.

Mods, this is relevant, because if a person is not acquainted with all the information on a particular area or question, they should refrain from posting, unless it's a question out of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Why would you argue with someone who re-quotes that Padraic O Conaire was involved in 1916? If you want to debate, know your subject area.

Mods, this is relevant, because if a person is not acquainted with all the information on a particular area or question, they should refrain from posting, unless it's a question out of interest.

After Hours is a discussion forum. People are perfectly entitled to contribute as they see fit as long as their posts don't violate the charter.

LizT wrote: »
    If you're talking about doing a teaching degree as your first undergraduate degree, it's subsidised by the government. You may still pay registration fees etc but they're comparatively little compared to the UK, where fees can be 10k (sterling) a year. Not everyone gets grants but your average student gets their fees paid.

Students in the UK also have various options in which they can pay their fees, such as the student loan scheme.

Fees are comparatively little in comparison to the UK, nobody's denying that, but for someone like me who has to pay an extra few grand to live in the area, it's still a lot of money. That poster said that teachers "get the same grants as other students" and I was disgusted that teachers could be dismissed like that, just like I'd be disgusted if it was said about medical students, or nursing students or even jam-making students who don't "get the same grants as other students".

Would nt you also say that a guard or a nurse or a doctor also gets their fees subsidised (what's the fees for templemore btw?)... BUT... They also get paid whilst training on the job...? Correct me if I'm wrong but fas apprenticeships got paid on block release too, no?

do teachers?

I never got the college grant either btw !

andyman wrote: »
    Students in the UK also have various options in which they can pay their fees, such as the student loan scheme.

Fees are comparatively little in comparison to the UK, nobody's denying that, but for someone like me who has to pay an extra few grand to live in the area, it's still a lot of money. That poster said that teachers "get the same grants as other students" and I was disgusted that teachers could be dismissed like that, just like I'd be disgusted if it was said about medical students, or nursing students or even jam-making students who don't "get the same grants as other students".

I didn't say everyone receives grants but that everyone has the same opportunity to apply for them and if they meet the criteria, they will receive one. I'm guessing no matter what you choose to study in college your financial position would have been similar for the duration of the course. Teachers are not special in that regard.

It always comes back to the money with the teachers. How about the effect of long holidays on a child's development?

Firstly, dont even mention UK fees...have a look at entrance jobs for teachers in the uk..Permanent positions straight off and a lot of the ones ive looked at offer to pay for any further training costs... In ireland teaching has become a part time profession, even for people well into their fifth year after leaving college.

Would nt you also say that a guard or a nurse or a doctor also gets their fees subsidised (what's the fees for templemore btw?)... BUT... They also get paid whilst training on the job...? Correct me if I'm wrong but fas apprenticeships got paid on block release too, no?

do teachers?

I never got the college grant either btw !

..... In ireland teaching has become a part time profession, even for people well into their fifth year after leaving college.. !

Sure what else would it be only part time if your contact is for 22 hours / week, 174 days of the year?

I didn't say everyone receives grants but that everyone has the same opportunity to apply for them and if they meet the criteria, they will receive one. I'm guessing no matter what you choose to study in college your financial position would have been similar for the duration of the course. Teachers are not special in that regard.

It always comes back to the money with the teachers. How about the effect of long holidays on a child's development?

Everyone has the opportunity to play for the lotto also, doesn't mean they all win it.

Speaking of the effect of long holidays on childhood development, have you any research to help us along seeing as you raised the issue. It sounds like..."you teachers and your money would somebody PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!"

what's your own profession btw?

• Advertisement

Btw, LizT, I'm reporting you for plagiarism for stealing my "Location:" without relevant citing and referencing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement