Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers and their summer holidays

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Armelodie wrote: »
    Is your position so week that you resort to .. :rolleyes: as a response?

So anyway what is your occupation?

When I hear someone mention joe duffy,,,,I know I'm wasting my time with said individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

No you sheep, the cutbacks are due to a cut in PTR. The school can't afford to put on all those classes for that period. Have you heard there is a moritorium on recruitment also? Probably not..

If it makes you feel any better the teachers will be staying on doing rediculous Croke Park hours having buzzword bingo meetings.... Wouldn't you prefer these teachers to be teaching at this time?

You can't be overworked if you dont have a job!

The extra 33 hours a year ? One school was surprised that they couldn't use it for mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Boombastic wrote: »
    The extra 33 hours a year ? One school was surprised that they couldn't use it for mass.

Link to that?

Link to that?

Podcast todays liveline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Believe me , teachers actually want to teach but when they are told they have to have meetings for another 33 hours they will do anything to stay out of meetings.(I'm sure private sector folk agree that meetings for the sake of filling time are insulting). These 33 hrs were a way of appeasing the rabble so unions could claim that the hours worked have increased without extra pay (god forbid any students would be taught with this time).

Would you prefer if teachers used this time to teach?

• Advertisement

Believe me , teachers actually want to teach but when they are told they have to have meetings for another 33 hours they will do anything to stay out of meetings.(I'm sure private sector folk agree that meetings for the sake of filling time are insulting). These 33 hrs were a way of appeasing the rabble so unions could claim that the hours worked have increased without extra pay (god forbid any students would be taught with this time).

Would you prefer if teachers used this time to teach?

Less than an hour a week meeting to discuss all the goings on in a school and to keep staff informed of new developments seems reasonable. Teachers do not work in isolation.

Rightwing wrote: »
    When I hear someone mention joe duffy,,,,I know I'm wasting my time with said individual.

Well as you can see from Bombastics posts above the rabble is alive and welll on JOE DUFFY...

You should ring in Rightwing as an educational expert seeing as how you are qualified in "Went to school once"..

BTW what is your other occupation besides educational consultancy work?

Rightwing wrote: »

Well as you can see from Bombastics posts above the rabble is alive and welll on JOE DUFFY...

You should ring in Rightwing as an educational expert seeing as how you are qualified in "Went to school once"..

Yep it's the moaning teachers platform, quite entertaining to hear how hard done by they feel

Less than an hour a week meeting to discuss all the goings on in a school and to keep staff informed of new developments seems reasonable. Teachers do not work in isolation.

Teachers are already timetabled for meetings.

• Advertisement

Teachers are already timetabled for meetings.

Good. Is that included in the 22 hours? Is that departmental meetings or whole school?

I'd agree with teachers on this one. No point making someone do something for the sake of it, little more than window dressing imo. If it doesn't add to productivity, don't implement it.

Yep it's the moaning teachers platform, quite entertaining to hear how hard done by they feel

I think it is you who feel hard done by, if you read the title and OP it wasn't teachers moaning. Teachers here are attempting to set the record straight from the uninformed numpties who think they know it all because they went to school.

Ill bet you brag to your mates about how you rise teachers, when in fact our position is easy to defend except from populist nonsense spouters like yourself who are immune to logic.

You probably havn't changed much from school then.

I think it is you who feel hard done by, if you read the title and OP it wasn't teachers moaning. Teachers here are attempting to set the record straight from the uninformed numpties who think they know it all because they went to school.

Ill bet you brag to your mates about how you rise teachers, when in fact our position is easy to defend except from populist nonsense spouters like yourself who are immune to logic.

You probably havn't changed much from school then.

And your inability to defend the length of holidays shows your obvious superiority and education.

And your inability to defend the length of holidays shows your obvious superiority and education.

Well in fairness, no one can defend the indefensible. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Are those damned teachers still on the doss!!?? (There must be a Hitler YouTube clip for this craziness)

They should be made build roads or break rocks or teach thick kids during their holidays.

Our esteemed executed 1916 patriot Padraic O'Conaire would be spinning in his grave!

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Are those damned teachers still on the doss!!?? (There must be a Hitler YouTube clip for this craziness)

They should be made build roads or break rocks or teach thick kids during their holidays.

Our esteemed executed 1916 patriot Padraic O'Conaire would be spinning in his grave!

Did Hitler make the Jews work for 174 days a year, 22 hours a week?. .. That's inhumane. Teachers should bring their case to the European courts of human rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

1916 patriot Padraic O'Conaire???

Padraic O'Conaire wasn't executed

Close down the schools then.

Certainly close down small schools.

Which is more efficient, 1 supermarket or about 6 local corner shops?

Any school with less than 100 pupils should face the axe.

Aineoil wrote: »
    1916 patriot Padraic O'Conaire???

Padraic O'Conaire wasn't executed

My point exactly - they didn't teach me enough!! I meant the teacher lad...the gay lad...

• Advertisement

My point exactly - they didn't teach me enough!! I meant the teacher lad...the gay lad...

The teacher who had enough time to write 26 books, 473 stories, 237 essays and 6 plays during his holidays?

Shakes head
    Well on a positive note you remember something about Patrick Pearse

Shakes head
    Well on a positive note you remember something about Patrick Pearse

Didn't they chop his head off in Eyre Square or did I get that wrong?

Didn't they chop his head off in Eyre Square or did I get that wrong?

The statue of Pádraic O Conaire in Eyre Square was beheaded in 1999.:eek:

The statue of Pádraic O Conaire in Eyre Square was beheaded in 1999.:eek:

Poor bastard, he didn't deserve that.

Poor bastard, he didn't deserve that.

Maybe some people had issues with Scothscéalta while at school?:D

^^The children in class use the diversion tactic too when they don't want to discuss the topic presented

^^The children in class use the diversion tactic too when they don't want to discuss the topic presented

I don't want to discuss the topic. I just saw something wrong on the internet.:D

• Advertisement

O Conaire wrote a collection of short stories in Irish called Scothscéalta. It used to be on the course for Leaving Cert.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement