Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hi guys. I want to try some JRPGs but i don't know where to start. I have a PS3, PS4 and a 3DS. Any recommendations (bearing in mind this is uncharted territory for me)? I know I could look up 'top ten' lists online but I've grown very suspicious of a lot of those sites. I'd much prefer getting advice on forums like this. Cheers

The tales of games are good, In particular symphonia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I'll learn how to pronounce each title first, then move onto the actual gameplay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Picked up FFXIII and FFXIII-2 in the Steam sale. I had FFXIII before on the PS3 but never finished it, I think I'm enjoying it more this time around. Some of the voice actors are mildly irritating though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The voice acting is great, it's just hard to do anything with such awful dialogue (which while bad is aparrently a massive step up from the japanese original).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

The Digimon: Redigitize psp fan translation is out now. Looking forward to relieving my childhood of training my digimon non-stop only to get a poop monster.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The voice acting is great, it's just hard to do anything with such awful dialogue (which while bad is aparrently a massive step up from the japanese original).

The dialog has always been somewhat sketchy in FF games though. It's part of the charm. It's more the tone of some of the voices that bugs me, though not in any serious way.

The aussie accents seem a bit out of place. I can see what they were doing with aussie accents for the people from Pulse but it felt kind of jarring.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The aussie accents seem a bit out of place. I can see what they were doing with aussie accents for the people from Pulse but it felt kind of jarring.

They did the same in the Japanese original, they had a Osaka/kansai-ben accent/dialect.

Usually in anime they do a southern (US) accent when they are dubbing over kansai-ben.

Got it wrong, it was Okinawan in the Japanese.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

it's a lot less australian in 13-3 isn't it?

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    They did the same in the Japanese original, they had a Osaka/kansai-ben accent/dialect.

Usually in anime they do a southern (US) accent when they are dubbing over kansai-ben.

Got it wrong, it was Okinawan in the Japanese.

Osaka accent is more for the crazy people. The Japanese people find the laid back nature of the Osakan's very weird. After being in Japan I find the rest of Japan weird and Osakans somewhat normal :) Most of the japanese commedians come from there. Usually you get a Brooklyn accent when they are dubbed or in some cases like Ni No Kuni they go for something wierder like Welsh in that case.

Australian is actually quite a good fit for Okinawan since Okinawa is made up of the japanese southern pacific islands, plenty of surfer dudes there. Kudos to the localisation team then for going for it :) I take it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Osaka accent is more for the crazy people. The Japanese people find the laid back nature of the Osakan's very weird. After being in Japan I find the rest of Japan weird and Osakans somewhat normal :) Most of the japanese commedians come from there. Usually you get a Brooklyn accent when they are dubbed or in some cases like Ni No Kuni they go for something wierder like Welsh in that case.

Australian is actually quite a good fit for Okinawan since Okinawa is made up of the japanese southern pacific islands, plenty of surfer dudes there. Kudos to the localisation team then for going for it :) I take it back.

Most examples I can think of either ignored it or went for a southern american accent.

Anyone not that impressed by Kingdom Hearts 3? It still looks very early in development and it's lost the cartoony look of the originals and now looks like every other unreal engine game. Also, Tangled, who even remembers that film let alone cares about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Suikoden 3 is out on PSN this week, first time ever being released in europe!

It's not the best game in the series but still worth checking out

I enjoyed it until the obviously rushed ending where the three person perspective storytelling didn't pay off. I was also a massive Suikoden fanboy at the time as well. it's probably got the best pay off in the series for finding all 108 stars of destiny, the extra chapter you get is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Anyone not that impressed by Kingdom Hearts 3? It still looks very early in development and it's lost the cartoony look of the originals and now looks like every other unreal engine game. Also, Tangled, who even remembers that film let alone cares about it?

:( I love that movie.

I wish I had time to plsy the first two Kingdom Hearts games.

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I wish I had time to plsy the first two Kingdom Hearts games.
    No, you really don't wish that!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ar Nosurge Plus: Ode to an Unborn Star Is out for vita this week, I have it for ps3 but never got too play as she died :'( so will pick it up I'd say :).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

This could probably go in the retro section but I thought it would be applicable here too. I'm currently playing through Chrono Trigger for the first time and I now have access to multiple characters. Is it recommended to level up multiple characters by swapping them in and out or can I carry on with my favourites? I don't want to snooker myself down the line if another low experienced character is required for a particular area, boss etc.

Great game though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Pac1Man wrote: »
    This could probably go in the retro section but I thought it would be applicable here too. I'm currently playing through Chrono Trigger for the first time and I now have access to multiple characters. Is it recommended to level up multiple characters by swapping them in and out or can I carry on with my favourites? I don't want to snooker myself down the line if another low experienced character is required for a particular area, boss etc.

Great game though!

It does not make much of a difference as if I remember correctly members not in your party still gain exp, its something like 75% of the exp gained by your active party members, so just use the characters you feel the most comfortable with.

• Advertisement

Swap them in and out. The game is a walk in the park so you should be fine. The most fun you get out of the battle system is mixing up party compositions to see what crazy combo attacks you can do. You don't want to miss out on that.

There is currently a Atlus sale going on on the US PSN store.

Got to the world map in FF7 using the fan translation. The only amazing thing about it it seems is how spot on the original translation was. Even some of the most awkward lines in it are barely changed.

It looks like Hori jumped the gun a bit or we will be seeing Dragon Quest 7&8 coming west, Jérémie Kermarrec has done French localisation for a few SE games.

zaeop6g.png
    AmvFFOQ.png

Nice really glad DQ7 remake is coming because the original version just isn't that good while I hear the remake is excellent. Fingers crossed for the DQM remakes as well. Apparently it was the usgamer poll that changed SE's mind about this and also resulted in Type-0 getting released. I'm liking this new SE that is give new producers a chance to shine and listening to fans.

Late game in FFXIII and it has gotten a bit monotonous. The combat and levelling systems have become pretty stale, I don't think I can be bothered to complete the Cie'th stone missions and such. I'm just going to finish the story and be done with it, which is a shame, because historically I have found I never tire of FF games.

Late game in FFXIII and it has gotten a bit monotonous. The combat and levelling systems have become pretty stale, I don't think I can be bothered to complete the Cie'th stone missions and such. I'm just going to finish the story and be done with it, which is a shame, because historically I have found I never tire of FF games.

Oh you're not going to get on with it there either. It gets linear and annoying again once you leave Pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Oh you're not going to get on with it there either. It gets linear and annoying again once you leave Pulse.

trhe whole thing is linear and annoying, pulse is like a half glass of water to a man stuck in the desert a week.

Go play FF 13-3 instead. now that my friend is a game

I can forgive the linearity as long as there's plot, characters and good mechanics to keep it going. Unfortunately XIII disappoints on all fronts.

The world they built is great and I like the lore, but the plot and characters are a bit flat and devoid of nuance. There's no supporting cast to speak of and no memorable antagonists.

The battle and levelling systems are meh. All right for a while but with no lasting appeal. The monsters aren't as varied as I would have hoped either. A lot of re-skinning and renaming going on.
    trhe whole thing is linear and annoying, pulse is like a half glass of water to a man stuck in the desert a week.

Go play FF 13-3 instead. now that my friend is a game

I plan to play the three of them in order. 2 is already lined up and ready to go.

• Advertisement

I can forgive the linearity as long as there's plot, characters and good mechanics to keep it going.

RPGs for me don't need plot, they need the mechanics and variety mostly. FF13 has one of the best battle systems of all time but it's just exhausting going from one corridor to the next doing nothing but battling the same enemies and often the same formations. The levelling up system also means you literally have no choice in how your characters level up.

I'm playing FFVII at the moment trying out the fan translation. That game has one of the worst battle systems of a FF game, is extremely linear and has a pretty crappy plot. However it's nicely paced out with activities to break up the fighting and random battle encounters are low since the dungeons are small. The materia system is really simplistic as well but at least it gives the player some choice, even if the only choice really is to load up on the best stuff. There's at least min maxing with double and triple growth weapons.

I really believe it's the pacing of FF7 that keeps it going and keeps it fun despite everything else going against it. Eemy formations don't get time to get boring, you're always aiming for that next materia level up and there's diversions between fight heavy sections to break it up (even if all the mini games are out and out pish). FF13 is just and exhausting series of battles and there's no character development because the levelling up system is as linear as the game (and don't get me started on the weapon levelling up system which seems utterly useless and unnecessary).

You'll be happy to know the sequels are a huge improvement with FF13-3 being fantastic.

Advertisement