Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,007 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Making my way through SMTIV. Think I'm about level 40 now, nearly 30 hours in.

It really is rather good but I hate the world map so bloody much. Never have a clue where I'm going.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ya ......freedom wars is decking awesome!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Making my way through SMTIV. Think I'm about level 40 now, nearly 30 hours in.

It really is rather good but I hate the world map so bloody much. Never have a clue where I'm going.

Yeah it really is the worst world map in a long time. I found myself looking up a faq a few times just to figure out where to go. At least the world map music is incredible! It's the only complaint I have about the game. There is a side quest that unlocks a flying mode of transport but it's also utterly useless since you can only set down in set places that are miles from anything.
    Ya ......freedom wars is decking awesome!

Must get back into that game, loved what I played of it. Unfortunately I started Rorona plus which will be taking my time. Amazing how a few simple changes can turn a great game into a fantastic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Just spotted on Hotukdeals.com SMTIV will be €12.99 for a week from Thursday onwards on 3DS store, will be buying myself as I haven't gotten round to doing so yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Just spotted on Hotukdeals.com SMTIV will be for a week from Thursday onwards on 3DS store, will be buying myself as I haven't gotten round to doing so yet.

Oooh, will have to pick that up
    and never play it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Fuuuuuu...I just bought it a few days ago! (and haven't played it yet!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Valkyria Chronicles is currently half price on Steam, it is a steal for just €9.99.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rpgamer' best of 2014 is out

http://www.rpgamer.com/awards/2014/

Not great for JRPGs really with only the ever dependable Atelier games getting a mention with Escher and Logy and tales of hearts which to be honest is only there since there's not much else on Vita it's quite dominate by western RPGs. Bravely Default is there but it's a 2013 game for Europe. Child of Light got a few mentions, although I thought it was really poor, while FFX13-3 got in the most disappointing, I'd be more inclined to put it in the most surprisingly good category. It's not been a great year for japanese RPGs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Surprised to see tales of heart r get best vita rpg.

Surprised to see tales of heart r get best vita rpg.

Me too. There wasn't a whole lot on Vita but thought they might give it to Atelier Rorona plus which is just fantastic. They don't allow remakes or reissues though. There wasn't a whole lot else on Vita.

I think they forgot Freedom Wars which was amazing from the little I played of it.

• Advertisement

Or freedom wars :p :pac:

I would of had Freedom Wars, Akiba's Trip, Alchemist of Arland and Demon Gaze ahead of Tales Of Heart R, it was not a bad game but found it more on par with Mind Zero, Destiny of Spirits and Conception II.

ps3 just died on me damn :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finished the 3rd dungeon in Persona Q, and around 35 hours in. Have to say it's one hell of a timesink - and I think I mean that in a good way :pac: Just the right balance has been struck between old-school design and some smartly judged concessions to accessibility and modern norms.

I'd almost say the Persona system is too in-depth given you now have to manage an entire party's skills and subpersonas. Fusion therefore creates a frankly dizzying amount of possibilities, with all manner of ****ed-up crossbreeding :p You could spend hours in the Velvet Room fretting about the next decision.

Also: Mahamaon and Mamudoon are hilariously broken with Naoto. Standard enemies - and even some FOEs! - fall first turn 95% of the time.

Does it use the Shin Megami Tensei IV fusion system (I presume it does). It's been streamlined so much that it's an absolute blast to use and has none of the random nonsense or having to choose each fusion individually to see what you get. They better use it in every SMT from now on!

I only got my special edition of Persona Q recently so not played it and I want to get through Rorona plus which is so addictive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No idea if it's the same, just now trying to manage Personas for six characters at a time (seven depending on your party) is quite a time-consuming process!

New Bravely Second Trailer.

any of ye getting criminal girls this week?

any of ye getting criminal girls this week?

Yep, waiting on VGP for it, not the sort of game I will be playing in public though, the fanservice is a bit crazy in it.

I had no interest in Criminal Girls until I heard the Etrian Odyssey guy is in charge.

• Advertisement

Frankly I refuse to buy any of that condescending, embarrassing and above all lazy fan service horse**** regardless of who is making it.

Depressing that sort of rubbish accounts for a significant proportion of the Japanese games travelling West these days.

There was a new neptunia game released last week too.

Frankly I refuse to buy any of that condescending, embarrassing and above all lazy fan service horse**** regardless of who is making it.

Depressing that sort of rubbish accounts for a significant proportion of the Japanese games travelling West these days.

It's amazing, we are getting the weirdest nichiest japanese RPGs coming over to the West, stuff like Senran Kagura, Criminal Girls and fecking Otome games of all things and yet Squaresoft won't release anything without Final Fantasy in the name in the west, even Dragon Quest stuff, stuff that would have been a sure thing a few years ago. Even some Final Fantasy games aren't making it either. Even Nintendo had to publish Bravely Default because Square didn't want anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Suikoden and Suikoden 2 are both up on the EU psn store now for a very reasonable(and cheaper than US store) €4.99 each.

Suikoden and Suikoden 2 are both up on the EU psn store now for a very reasonable(and cheaper than US store) €4.99 each.

Balls, I paid nearly €18 for both off the US store, oh well at least they did not disappoint :D

Xenji wrote: »
    Balls, I paid nearly €18 for both off the US store, oh well at least they did not disappoint :D

Could be a pricing glitch. IIRC Suikoden 2 initially went up on the US store for $4.99, the download to vita problem is also back with the EU release. Will check when finished download if it is the less buggy PAL version or the NTSC version, hoping its PAL as it doesn't have the US flag on the store image like the other NTSC ps1 games.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's amazing, we are getting the weirdest nichiest japanese RPGs coming over to the West, stuff like Senran Kagura, Criminal Girls and fecking Otome games of all things and yet Squaresoft won't release anything without Final Fantasy in the name in the west, even Dragon Quest stuff, stuff that would have been a sure thing a few years ago. Even some Final Fantasy games aren't making it either. Even Nintendo had to publish Bravely Default because Square didn't want anything to do with it.

I would much prefer if we got the likes of god eater etc

Yeah me too. A lot of the stuff that is coming out like conception 2 and the like I could live without and rather take the more left field Square titles.

They just love too tease us

bastards :D

• Advertisement

Just checked Suikoden II and it is the PAL version, pricing is correct too according to the PS blog.

Also according to the PS blog Criminal Girls: Invite Only is blocked from the Irish PS Store along with the usual Aus and NZ.

Advertisement