Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No chance considering they are locked down to low res due to the backgrounds.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Damn that's a pity.

Playing tears to tiara 2 and enjoying it but the amount of dialog in it is insane .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Tears to Tiara is more visual novel with RPG elements. There'll be loads more text to come!

With regards to the ff HD remakes, it's kind of squares fault for not holding on to their art assets and source which would have made a HD remake of those PS1 games very cost effective. I'd really love to see a Vita release of FF12 in HD, I'd take a PS4 one as well but Vita would be ideal. Apparently they have all the art assets and textures in that game rendered in super high detail and then lowered the quality for the final release. They had it running with high res assets at a trades how on development pcs. I'd love to see that version released.

Anyway speaking of PS1 RPGs I had the worst hangover ever on Friday and needed some comfort gaming and a vita tv to mess around with so started up FFVII again. The whole Midgar section is just weird. Its design is so schizophrenic, first it's an RPG then there's a weird minigame and the next thing it's nearly a point and click adventure. It's pretty damn great and feels like no other RPG. The humour and weird allusions should feel out of place but it adds to the weirdness of the place, it's quite eccentric. It's something that passed over my head since it was one of the first RPGs I played.

I'm at Junon now and it's turned into quite a normal RPG now, basically a carbon copy of Phantasy Star IVs first act and the battle system is just not very good. You're given too much mp and there's really not a whole lot of strategy to handling materia other than load everyone up with the good stuff and theres so little difference in characters that selection doesnt mean much. Too much mp means you can spam magic with no regards to resource management. It's not awful, something like Legend if Dragoon would be in that category with a battle system that kills the game stone dead, just a bit of a missed opportunity. The amount of customisation doesn't lead to a gloriously broken system like ffV, tactics or 8. Playing the US version helps loads as well due to the much faster pace. Anyway I can see myself playing through to the end of this play through so it's not all bad!

Anyone see the news from square enix about their restructure, only usgamer seemed to have covered it. The Japanese side seem to be just consolidating around final fantasy and kingdom hearts when it comes to HD games. The main focus will be on medium budget games on the handhelds, buoyed by the success of Bravely Default and other handheld games and also focusing on a lot of mobile development. Nothing to bad there, squares best stuff has been on handheld and it will do no good for them to kill themselves on HD games. Square have done some pretty crappy mobile stuff but also done some really excellent mobile games as well including the exceptional chaos rings games. I think it's good that square are wishing up and playing to their strengths and hopefully it means a higher output of games as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I was reading this when I was on my lunch there, and to be honest, my first impression is I'm a little disappointed that they are going the "Nintendo" route of "If its not an existing successful IP, we won't be making a big deal of it".

I know they've crapped out a few duds but I liked the fact they keep trying.
    But I think I'm going to have to get Bravely Default soon, I only heard about the upcoming sequel this morning!

P.S. Still loving freedom wars!

• Advertisement

Update on ffvii, The first trip to Junon is fantastically bonkers as well. Considering how terrible the development of the game supposedly was on the developers it's great to see they were still having a lot of fun and throwing in a lot of throw away comedy elements.

RedXIV wrote: »
    I was reading this when I was on my lunch there, and to be honest, my first impression is I'm a little disappointed that they are going the "Nintendo" route of "If its not an existing successful IP, we won't be making a big deal of it".

I know they've crapped out a few duds but I liked the fact they keep trying.
    But I think I'm going to have to get Bravely Default soon, I only heard about the upcoming sequel this morning!

P.S. Still loving freedom wars!

It kind of makes sense though. Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts are te only two ips they have that sell well in Japan and the West. With budgets the way they are they're the only two safe bets they have. It's far better than them going entirely mobile. The more adventurous stuff will be coming to handheld and its probably there that they will introduce new IP.

It's kind of like what Nintendo do. They get criticised for not creating new IP yet they make dozens of new IP games as smaller projects to see what catches before blowing them up to big franchises. They make far more new IP than other companies.

One good thing to take from this is that square have noticed the market for their Japanese games in the west. Both bravely Default and TWEWY near bombed in Japan and sold way better in the west. It means we will hopefully not miss out on titles like Dragon Quest VII. The HD release of type 0 is a direct result of this and they are considering a dq7 release. Also the newest game directors, the guys behind Ff14 and 15 are very much about creating products to appeal to both western and Japanese tastes.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Update on ffvii, The first trip to Junon is fantastically bonkers as well. Considering how terrible the development of the game supposedly was on the developers it's great to see they were still having a lot of fun and throwing in a lot of throw away comedy elements.

I think this is one of the main reasons I'll always have a soft spot for FFVII. Yes there may be something about to destroy the planet and yes a ship full of people got massacred but when you get moments like the TV announcer screaming:
    "WHAT WAS THE SOLDIER DOING! SOMEONE GIVE HIM A BOMB!"
    **Received 'Grenade'!**

It just adds a nice comic level to it that reminds you not to take it TOO seriously.

It kind of makes sense though. Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts are te only two ips they have that sell well in Japan and the West. With budgets the way they are they're the only two safe bets they have. It's far better than them going entirely mobile. The more adventurous stuff will be coming to handheld and its probably there that they will introduce new IP.

It's kind of like what Nintendo do. They get criticised for not creating new IP yet they make dozens of new IP games as smaller projects to see what catches before blowing them up to big franchises. They make far more new IP than other companies.

One good thing to take from this is that square have noticed the market for their Japanese games in the west. Both bravely Default and TWEWY near bombed in Japan and sold way better in the west. It means we will hopefully not miss out on titles like Dragon Quest VII. The HD release of type 0 is a direct result of this and they are considering a dq7 release. Also the newest game directors, the guys behind Ff14 and 15 are very much about creating products to appeal to both western and Japanese tastes.

It does make sense, If you stamp Final Fantasy on something, there's a good chance I'll pick it up, the name has that kind of pull, even the MMOs, and I don't like MMOs. My kids are in love with kingdom hearts too, having played the start of the first one about 250 times by now, so I can see that sticking around too.

I think its something I need to address though that I very rarely look at SE's handheld games though. Which is a shame as there is some gems out there that I'd know I'd enjoy. I can't help it though, when I think handheld, I'm thinking pokemon or Phoneix Wright :D

But I am sold on Type 0 though, and since I probably won't beat Freedom wars until its out, it might lead in nicely for me!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Hardcore Gamer gave it a 3.5/5, from reading other reviews the main gripes are just about lack of appealing characters and boring dungeons, which was the same problems with the DS version, still looking forward to getting it hopefully by next Monday as it has a great combat system and an interesting story.
    Tales of Hearts R is a straightforward RPG with a heart of gold. It has a fascinating plot that’s unfortunately populated with a less than compelling cast and spotty character development. A game is only as good as its protagonist, and the ineptly named Kor Meteor is arguably one of the worst in the series. Dungeon designs are also dry and far too simplistic, requiring little thought to get through, but thankfully the combat redeems most of its regrettable qualities. Progression is done well as grinding is almost never needed, while the battle system offers a fair amount of variety depending how characters are developed. While flawed in some places, Tales of Hearts R is still a meaty package that should please dedicated fans.

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/11/10/review-tales-of-hearts-r/116539/

Few more Tales of Hearts R reviews

Gaming Trend - 95/100
    Hardcore Gamer - 3.5/5
    EGM - 8/10
    Gamesided - 7.5/10
    N4G - 4.5/5
    PSU - 8.5/0
    CG Magazine - 7/10
    Game Informer - 7/10
    RPGamer - 3.5/5

Ff10 has far and away the worst end game of any of the final fantasys. Lots of endless grinding, doing tasks that have no relation to the main game mechanics to unlock super weapons and then looking for rare monsters for the monster arena. It's a lot of busy work.

This thread has been moved to games due to the jrpg forum closing soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Has anyone here played FF Type 0?

Finally (no pun intended) getting to play this and really enjoying it, despite a diabolically bad first few hours (information overload).

One thing I've noticed - the game does not *reward* you very well. Just finished Corsi Cave (a typical test-your-might-early-in-the-game cave) after a few hours of grinding and it gives me a megalixir :mad: Thanks, because the 100 potions and ethers I have can't do that! Yet I looked at a video on youtube and the guy gets a decent accessory from the last chest.

Does it have random items in chests or something?

I think most of us are waiting for the HD release of it hin English next year before we play it. I heard it's pretty good but hard. I'm interested in it since the new guy in charge of FF15 was the lead.

Ff10 has far and away the worst end game of any of the final fantasys. Lots of endless grinding, doing tasks that have no relation to the main game mechanics to unlock super weapons and then looking for rare monsters for the monster arena. It's a lot of busy work.

Hmm, I'm actually enjoying the power levelling now. Got 3 characters that have completed the grid and I'm not changing the grid and maxing stats. One annoying thing is levels and stat spheres are very easy to get but the common spheres you need to fill them now have become a rare commodity.

I'm guys are totally beasting everything. I went to Besaid and finally after over a decade I've trounced Dark Valefor. It seems after a certain point stat bonuses exponentially affect damage output and defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Just noticed SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 are going for €2.69 each on PS Store. Not Vita compatible unfortunately but well worth that price.

Tactics Ogre is also going for a tenner (and is Vita compatible).

Word of warning before you pay money for Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2. Both are really poor PAL conversions and should be bought from the US Store.

Correction the second game has 60Hz mode.

Any of ye 3DS Owners play persona Q yet? Its getting great reviews.

My friend has picked me up a US special edition so it will be a while before he sends it. Can't wait to play it. A mixture of the two best RPGs of the last decade (Persona and Etrian Odyssey for the uninformed :P) seems like the perfect marriage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Wasn't on my radar at all but the reviews are pretty amazing for such a blatant cash-grab. (That said Atlus generally do fanservice cash grabs a lot better than most other companies).
    I just have to finish P3P, Persona 4 and EOIV before I can get to it so I guess I'll know how good it is in about 2 years.

The joys of liking JRPGs. You have a pile of shame and a XSeed, Nippon Ichi, Atlus pile of shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Ive alot of jrpg to catch up to that I forgot to buy

Disgaea games on the vita
    atelier games
    persona q

and they say the genre is dead :L:L:L:L

Etrian Odyssey x Mystery Dungeon has been announced

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/match-of-the-millennium-atlus-announces-etrian-odyssey-x-mystery-dungeon

A combination of the best dungeo crawler with the best rogue like around sounds like a hardcore RPG players dream.

That sounds pretty cool

All Dark Aeons destroyed and my stats are as high as they can go. Think I'm ready for Penance once I bride 99 megaelixirs. If he annoys me woo much I might just Zanmato him and be done with FFX :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

All Dark Aeons destroyed and my stats are as high as they can go. Think I'm ready for Penance once I bride 99 megaelixirs. If he annoys me woo much I might just Zanmato him and be done with FFX :)
    Do you not use the auto-x-potion strategy?

Evade wrote: »
    Do you not use the auto-x-potion strategy?

I've not even tried the battle yet but hoping that megaelixirs will keep my MP and health topped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

I've not even tried the battle yet but hoping that megaelixirs will keep my MP and health topped up.
    Rikku's mix that give you 0 MP cost is essential for this battle.

• Advertisement

Ah I didn't level up Rikku. Sure it will be grand. I've loads of those 3 star things. I'll try it my own way see how that goes.

Advertisement