Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Value if those old copies are going to take a bit of a nosedive due to the psn release though.

unfortunately digital releases never have an effect on physical copy prices.

Good that it is coming out so more people can play it. It's probably the best RPG on PS1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Watching a lets play of xenosaga

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/12/06/replay-xenosaga-episode-one.aspx

I'll never understand why episodes 1 and 3 never got released over here but episode two did :S

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Watching a lets play of xenosaga

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/12/06/replay-xenosaga-episode-one.aspx

I'll never understand why episodes 1 and 3 never got released over here but episode two did :S

Yeah, bit silly. Have 1 & 3 anyway, still had to dl the first one despite having a legit US copy as my ps2 mod doesn't support dual layer discs :(. Ep1 is great, ep3 is a bit of a mess though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought episode 1 was really bad myself but not s bad as episode 2. I couldn't even finish that one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Yeah, bit silly. Have 1 & 3 anyway, still had to dl the first one despite having a legit US copy as my ps2 mod doesn't support dual layer discs :(. Ep1 is great, ep3 is a bit of a mess though.

Where did you download it from? I wish I'd gotten my ps2 chipped, I could have played all these games then.

• Advertisement

Where did you download it from? I wish I'd gotten my ps2 chipped, I could have played all these games then.

Dl'd a compressed single layer version from a site that can't be mentioned here, but there was also a program to split a legit over a 3 backup discs so it could be played(couldn't figure out how to use it with my copy) on a modded ps2. Dual layer PS2 imports were a right pain as most mods couldn't read them as they only supported a max TOC of 4.7gb.

(You don't need to chip a PS2 to play import games, the older big ones could do it with an action replay max and a usb stick without much trouble. Not going to mention the program on the usb or how to use it for obvious reasons.(feel free to remove if inappropriate)).

I've mine chipped so it reads anything. You can soft mod a PS2 now and boot games from hard disk without opening up the machine. It's highly recommended considering how bad the ps2 laser is.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

FF VII was the biggest troll of the PS Experience presser.

yeah that was an AMAZING level of trolling lol

I might have been annoyed if I wasnt so over the moon about Yakuza 5

It's going to be the crappy pc port as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

What were Sony thinking... "Oh I know... our final fantasy games have been getting worse and worse every year, for years... with next years one being about a boyband..." " So lets re-release FF7, but lets make a port of a port because we could not be arsed doing it properly"

No thanks Sony...

• Advertisement

Squaresoft (not Sony) release one disappointing Final Fantasy with XIII (and I definitely wouldn't call it bad) and everyone claims their games have been getting worse for ages, ignoring the fact that XIII-2 and XIII-3 are damn fine RPGs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Squaresoft (not Sony) release one disappointing Final Fantasy with XIII (and I definitely wouldn't call it bad)

I wouldn't call it bad either - that's a bit generous ;)

I still don't think it was that bad. It was hard to play in long stretches until you got to pulse but the battle system was the best in years and that soundtrack was great. It didn't lend itself well to being played for stretches of 2 hours, it probably would have worked better as a handheld game.

I've played worse RPGs that get highly praised, such as Ni No Kuni.

I loved 13,thought lightning was an awesome hero,it looked great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Squaresoft (not Sony) release one disappointing Final Fantasy with XIII (and I definitely wouldn't call it bad) and everyone claims their games have been getting worse for ages, ignoring the fact that XIII-2 and XIII-3 are damn fine RPGs.

I genuinely do not know if i played 13-3. Which one is it??

I genuinely do not know if i played 13-3. Which one is it??

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. It was released back in February this year.

I actually saw it gamestop for a tenner today , was tempted to get it actually

I actually saw it gamestop for a tenner today , was tempted to get it actually

A tenner? Feck it's 15 in every other Gamestop. Definitely worth buying unles you get annoyed by games with time limits that ensure you can't get everything on your first go.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Suikdoden 1 and 2 have been confirmed by Konami for a January release in Europe on PSN. Nice to see, especially since I sold off my disc copies during a summer clear-out.

A tenner? Feck it's 15 in every other Gamestop. Definitely worth buying unles you get annoyed by games with time limits that ensure you can't get everything on your first go.

I should have got it actually,it was on sale

• Advertisement

Suikdoden 1 and 2 have been confirmed by Konami for a January release in Europe on PSN. Nice to see, especially since I sold off my disc copies during a summer clear-out.

If you dont mind me asking did ya get much for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sold the two of them together for €140 but the cover and manual of Suikoden was in pretty poor condition.

Sold the two of them together for €140 but the cover and manual of Suikoden was in pretty poor condition.

That's not a bad price actually

Suikoden 1 and 2 are kind of weird to recommend. I'd normally say get the US version always since it's far superior. However the translation of Suikoden 2 is really poor for the US version, in one case an entire town is left untranslated (the translation was carried out in just 2 weeks). The European version has a much better translation.

Also there's no point getting Suikoden 1 from the US store and 2 from the EU one since you can port a save to Suikoden 2 but a US saev won't work on a EU copy.

This is one of the very rare occasions I'd recommend the EU version over the US one. Despite the borders mesing up the aspect ratio and the slower gameplay it's better to get the better translation.

Suikoden 1 and 2 are kind of weird to recommend. I'd normally say get the US version always since it's far superior. However the translation of Suikoden 2 is really poor for the US version, in one case an entire town is left untranslated (the translation was carried out in just 2 weeks). The European version has a much better translation.

Also there's no point getting Suikoden 1 from the US store and 2 from the EU one since you can port a save to Suikoden 2 but a US saev won't work on a EU copy.

This is one of the very rare occasions I'd recommend the EU version over the US one. Despite the borders mesing up the aspect ratio and the slower gameplay it's better to get the better translation.

In all honesty its probably the US version that gets released here. I would still recommend waiting for the EU release if you have a vita with an EU account on it. Will probably wait now myself.

In all honesty its probably the US version that gets released here. I would still recommend waiting for the EU release if you have a vita with an EU account on it. Will probably wait now myself.

The bugginess of the US version was what kept the game delayed for so long, the EU version is a lot more stable. I've only seen the Resident Evils released here as the US versions, I wish more companies would do that because it's a joke playing the terrible EU versions in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

because they didnt release a lot else?
    I wouldnt be as annoyed with 13 if I got a good front mission, instead of the "evolved" garbage :(
    Parasite eve 3 was terrible too and Dragon Quest 10 is a: a weak mmo and b: not even available in english
    They're probably also getting a bit of Flak for how bad Star Ocean 4 was despite that being tri ace's fault

Ah now I thought Third Birthday was fun once you ignored the story and how they managed to moe-ify Aya Brea. You're kind of selectively looking at the bad stuff as well and not at the good, I've already mentioned the FFXIII sequels. They managed to turn around FF14 from their biggest financial disaster ever to one of the best MMO's around. Their collaborations for handheld games produced some amazing games such as Bravel Default. They maanged to make a Kingdom Hearts game that didn't suck absolute balls with Birth by Sleep which also brings up how they are bringing new talent up through the studio. They also funded the excellent Nier and took a chance on Matsuno again with Tactics Ogre remake. Their Dragon Quest releases have been amazing as well and Squaresofts only crime is not bringing over DQ7 and the Monsters remakes, that really is the only thing they have done that is heinous. Even their mobile releases have produced some gold with Chaos Rings.

It really isn't all that bad and the whole Square Eix have gone to the pits thing just reeks of Hyperbole when you actually examine their output.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

final fantasy a realm reborn is an amazing MMO and I dont like the genre that much but my gawd it took incredible forces outside this world to remove me from that game in the first week of playing

**** the subscription though , really dont wanna keep forking out money to play it , but I miss it already ;_;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=949072

Apparently NIS need the next Disgaea to sell 150k in Japan to stay in business. Welp.

Advertisement