Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

oceanclub wrote: »
    I figure this thread is probably the best place to post: my wife is currently on Vodafone billpay with a non-smartphone but wants something she can use for browsing/Skype/Facebook. My plan was to get her a Huawei G300 online from Vodafone PAYG (€119.99), then get it unlocked (I can do this thru eBay for sure?) then get her the €20-per-month SIM only plan from Three.

Anyone see any flaws in this? I've been complaints about the phone's memory (I'm an iPHone user so have no real experience of Android) but I presume Android 2.3 + 512 MB would be enough for her usage?

P.
    I bought one off amazon a few weeks ago for €90. Think it might have increased in price since. The phone came loaded with 4.0 ice cream sandwich.
    I managed to get it unlocked on ebay for around 7 euro. Took around a day to arrive.
    Good phone for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I posted on the g510 thread but it's worth repeating here. I have had my g300 for almost a year & it's not rooted.

Switching to ADW launcher transformed the phone as did changing from Dolphin to Boat Mini. Many apps seem to be designed for high end phones whereas ADW & Boat Mini get the best out of slower processors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

For anyone looking to unlock the G300, this may be of interest:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/362050-modaco-approved-huawei-unlock-codes-request-here/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Any idea how to get Google talk on stock+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi Folks, had a Browse here
    for rom for my G300

http://www.modaco.com/forum/737-huawei-ascend-g300-development/

A lot of Roms there, can anyone recommend a stable , fast JBean Rom, please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi Folks, had a Browse here
    for rom for my G300

http://www.modaco.com/forum/737-huawei-ascend-g300-development/

A lot of Roms there, can anyone recommend a stable , fast JBean Rom, please

Infusion or Stock +. Found both to be very stable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

OK, a funny problem and I don't think i asked about it here before. A few weeks ago the sound dropped on my G300. Ringtones are barely audible, music played at a low rate, message tones, alarms, everything except call volume unless it's on loudspeaker.

I have it rooted so no point going back to the shop, but I have changed ROM since it happened to see if it was a software issue and it doesn't seem to be. I'm now on CM10.1 JB.

Jayop wrote: »
    OK, a funny problem and I don't think i asked about it here before. A few weeks ago the sound dropped on my G300. Ringtones are barely audible, music played at a low rate, message tones, alarms, everything except call volume unless it's on loudspeaker.

I have it rooted so no point going back to the shop, but I have changed ROM since it happened to see if it was a software issue and it doesn't seem to be. I'm now on CM10.1 JB.

Install Volume Plus apk. You'll get it here http://www.filecrop.com/volume-plus-apk.html.

The first one on the list is the latest version.

Thanks for that!

I downloaded that app and put my main volume up to 20. The sound quality was terrible though. I there's 2 speakers would it be possible one of them is goosed?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think I'm ready to get rid of this phone. It's been nothing but heartache from day one. Lagging constantly, forever losing the SD card and just being unresponsive... I think I need to find something with internal storage next time.

• Advertisement

It was a nice introduction into the wonderful world of android for me too, but I think when I get a few quid together during the summer I'll upgrade a few levels. Might be able to pick up an S3 for a decent price now the S4 is out??

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It was a nice introduction into the wonderful world of android for me too, but I think when I get a few quid together during the summer I'll upgrade a few levels. Might be able to pick up an S3 for a decent price now the S4 is out??

€250 trade in so probably €300 or so.

€300 for a second hand phone would break my heart but what can you do? I don't use it enough to justify paying for a contract so up front ready to go is the only way for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

Very interested in having this as a cheap second or maybe as my actual phone, Available spends will decide.
    Anyone heard of / bought them from here?

http://www.geekbuying.com/category/SmartPhones-315/?c=1054&v=411

Quackhart wrote: »
    Very interested in having this as a cheap second or maybe as my actual phone, Available spends will decide.
    Anyone heard of / bought them from here?

http://www.geekbuying.com/category/SmartPhones-315/?c=1054&v=411

IMHO, I think you should get the G300. It is now £94.99 on amazon.co.uk. You'll have to unlock it & de-vodafone it, but there's a great guide to that on www.modacom.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

is the G510 not a better option now? Its dual-core, bigger screen, can be had for €130

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

IMHO, I think you should get the G300. It is now £94.99 on amazon.co.uk. You'll have to unlock it & de-vodafone it, but there's a great guide to that on www.modacom.com.

Or pick one up on adverts.ie,

loyatemu wrote: »
    is the G510 not a better option now? Its dual-core, bigger screen, can be had for €130

IS there much of a modding community on that? If not you could be stuck with stock. That may not be an issue for you but I wouldn't be happy with it.

IS there much of a modding community on that? If not you could be stuck with stock. That may not be an issue for you but I wouldn't be happy with it.

Yea, sfa modding community yet anyway. Nothing in compoarision to the G300. 4 new OS released this week alone:)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭newg300

Been a while since I posted in here. Just wondering what is considered to be the best ROM these days? Currently still on Infusion B07 and feeling like a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭robbe

Hi,

Not sure if this has been covered here already but I couldn't find it - have a Ascend 300 with Vodafone. Used mainly at home and have disabled data roaming, at least 5\6 times a day I get a pop up asking me to switch off the Wi-Fi to verify settings (its a Vodafone message) - however when I do this nothing happens and I keep getting the same message - driving me mental! Anyone encountered this before? The message says 'to correctly identify you we need you to be connected over the Vodafone network, not WiFi. Please go to settings and turn WiFi off' - however when you do this the message reappears.....any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

robbe wrote: »
    Hi,

Not sure if this has been covered here already but I couldn't find it - have a Ascend 300 with Vodafone. Used mainly at home and have disabled data roaming, at least 5\6 times a day I get a pop up asking me to switch off the Wi-Fi to verify settings (its a Vodafone message) - however when I do this nothing happens and I keep getting the same message - driving me mental! Anyone encountered this before? The message says 'to correctly identify you we need you to be connected over the Vodafone network, not WiFi. Please go to settings and turn WiFi off' - however when you do this the message reappears.....any ideas?

I get the same bloody thing on my Samsung Note 2. Would love to kow how to disable it!!

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

BenThere wrote: »
    I get the same bloody thing on my Samsung Note 2. Would love to kow how to disable it!!

Ben
    turn off WiFi and enable data.it just does a check and confirms your settings are correct and sends you a message to say its done.
    disable data and turn on WiFi again.
    you won't get it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

you need to enable data when you turn WiFi off
    robbe wrote: »
    Hi,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Yea, sfa modding community yet anyway. Nothing in compoarision to the G300. 4 new OS released this week alone:)

swings and roundabouts really - the stock ROMs for the G300 are pretty poor, but most of the custom ROMs are based on stock, and the CM-based ROMS aren't very stable.

The whole point of modding the G300 (and the OSF before it) is to try and squeeze the most out of what is a very cheap phone. Might be better to start off with a better phone in the first place (given that they're the same price).

Guys,

Just got one of these as a 'weekend' phone for leisure and travel.

I'd like to squeeze as much as I can out of it in terms of speed and battery life.

I'm familiar with rooting and flashing ROMS from other phones.

Is there an app which roots this device?

What ROM is giving the best speed/battery combination?

Cheers,

Ben

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I installed cyanogenmod 9 yesterday. 10 is still a bit buggy seemingly. Haven't had much of a chance to play around with it yet, but seems ok.

MarkR wrote: »
    I installed cyanogenmod 9 yesterday. 10 is still a bit buggy seemingly. Haven't had much of a chance to play around with it yet, but seems ok.

Hi MarkR,

What benefits does CM9 have over stock? Is the installation process straightforward? do I have to root first or will the ROM flashing process also root the phone? Is there a dummies guide tutorial? I've looked on http://www.modaco.com/topic/359115-ics-404-cyanogenmod-91-rom-last-updated-2804 but can't see the installation instructions :confused:

BTW my G300 is the Huawei U8815, running stock Android Version 4.0.3, Baseband 2030.

If CM9 will give me the most processing performance and best battery life I'll be flashing it, once I figure out how to!!

Ben

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi MarkR,

What benefits does CM9 have over stock? Is the installation process straightforward? do I have to root first or will the ROM flashing process also root the phone? Is there a dummies guide tutorial? I've looked on http://www.modaco.com/topic/359115-ics-404-cyanogenmod-91-rom-last-updated-2804 but can't see the installation instructions :confused:

BTW my G300 is the Huawei U8815, running stock Android Version 4.0.3, Baseband 2030.

If CM9 will give me the most processing performance and best battery life I'll be flashing it, once I figure out how to!!

Ben

I found the original OS a bit laggy and lacked some features that I liked.
    Here's a great guide. Worked for me 100%.

http://huaweig300.com/huawei-g300-install-a-custom-jelly-bean-ics-rom-from-scratch/

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »
    I found the original OS a bit laggy and lacked some features that I liked.
    Here's a great guide. Worked for me 100%.

http://huaweig300.com/huawei-g300-install-a-custom-jelly-bean-ics-rom-from-scratch/

Thanks Mark, appreciate it.

One more niggly question I have about this little device is how can I set it so that the three menu/control buttons below the screen remain on as long as the device is unlocked??

Ben

Advertisement