Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Not sure if this is related to teh phone, swype, boards or something else but am wondering if anyone else gets the same.

If I'm entering a post and go back to correct a word, the cursor will jump around and start writing at the beginning of the message, moving words about. It's impossible to go back to the original cursor position as it just jumps back again to the beginning. Basically it's impossible to correct a typo on touch.boards.ie

Happens all the time, but less so on Opera Mobile for me anyway....

it's a pain,to be sure, but with Opera seems to be mitigated by the interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Nah, I'd be buying it to use it as a North phone pretty much to use 3g during work in the north.

I have an iPhone 3gs as a south phone, but the network is pretty terrible in the north.

curry-muff wrote: »
    Nah, I'd be buying it to use it as a North phone pretty much to use 3g during work in the north.

I have an iPhone 3gs as a south phone, but the network is pretty terrible in the north.

What?? no comprende mate

About the Ascend 300.....

You could still buy in the South, just get Voda to post it to you, unlock Network/SIM, and use wherever you like...

Unless you wanna pay for just the pleasure of getting it locked to Vodafone UK, that's how it comes anywhere in the UK, including NI.

You're still going to need to unlock for O2 anywhere!

And the Ascend is available (2) in Argos Newry (The Quays) for customer pick-up, order on-line...and Armagh (1) and other places I didn't check.....

for £84.99 [€100]....and from Amazon, free post to Ireland or UK, for £84.99

still dearer than the South, just!! if you exclude the discount from fatcheese....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

What?? no comprende mate

About the Ascend 300.....

You could still buy in the South, just get Voda to post it to you, unlock Network/SIM, and use wherever you like...

Unless you wanna pay for just the pleasure of getting it locked to Vodafone UK, that's how it comes anywhere in the UK, including NI.

You're still going to need to unlock for O2 anywhere!

And the Ascend is available (2) in Argos Newry (The Quays) for customer pick-up, order on-line...and Armagh (1) and other places I didn't check.....

for £84.99 [€100]....and from Amazon, free post to Ireland or UK, for £84.99

still dearer than the South, just!! if you exclude the discount from fatcheese....

Sorry, guess I didn't make it very clear.

I live on the Donegal/Derry border and carry 2 phones at all times, one o2 IRL and one o2 UK.

My south phone is an iPhone and I rarely use it tbh, the reception for o2 UK is better where I live than o2 IRL.

My north phone at the minute is pretty crappy, so I'm looking to upgrade to a newer model and keep my o2 UK sim. I was just debating whether to get the Ace 2 or the Ascend g300. I initially set myself a budget of £150 and narrowed it down to those two.

From what you guys are saying I the £45 difference in price is swinging me towards the g300, but it means heading to Letterkenny to get one and I work in Derry every day so I've been trying to force myself to justify spending more on the Ace 2.

curry-muff wrote: »

Sorry, guess I didn't make it very clear.

I live on the Donegal/Derry border and carry 2 phones at all times, one o2 IRL and one o2 UK.

My south phone is an iPhone and I rarely use it tbh, the reception for o2 UK is better where I live than o2 IRL.

My north phone at the minute is pretty crappy, so I'm looking to upgrade to a newer model and keep my o2 UK sim. I was just debating whether to get the Ace 2 or the Ascend g300. I initially set myself a budget of £150 and narrowed it down to those two.

From what you guys are saying I the £45 difference in price is swinging me towards the g300, but it means heading to Letterkenny to get one and I work in Derry every day so I've been trying to force myself to justify spending more on the Ace 2.

Ohhhhh I get you now. If its a business thing, I would probably go with the Ace 2.....

and if you are not into unlocking, rooting, custom ROMs etc, the Ace has better out of the box specs, with a dual core processor, and perhaps better support. I am not sure if it will have ICS, or Gingerbread, but there should be an upgrade path, if you want.

Certainly the g300 is a great little piece of kit, and there is a good dev community, producing ROMs, and hacks that Huawei never intended for this phone, but there are niggles with every new solution.

So, I would bite hard and shell out extra, for a better user experience out of the box.

Hope this helped, and sorry for the misunderstandings, it's just that guys like me like hacking, etc, and we forget ppl actually buy phones for making calls, texting, etc.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Just a heads up for those with the Ascend G300, and who have not yet SIM/Network unlocked the phone.

If you want to save a little money, and you want to unlock, apparently flashing CM10.1 will SIM/Network Unlock the phone.....

See this Modaco thread, and further info how to check SIM lack status on G300....

see here for how to check SIM/Network lock status on your Ascend G300...from my post on Modaco....
    kyan31 wrote:
    What's weird is CM10.1 was never designed to unlock the phone, it was pretty much an accident I believe

Are you saying it's a permanent SIM/network unlock??

If you flash another ROM, will you be Network locked again??

What does *#*#2846579#*#* show...

you should get Testing screen...

with Menu containing MMITest_II and ProjectMenu

Click on ProjectMenu.....then you get 5 options

Click 3. Network setting

another Menu opens called NetSetting

Click 2. SIM card lock state query

You will get a pop-up showing your SIM card lock state.....see pic

Screenshot_2013-03-24-14-43-56.jpg

Mine shows SIMLOCK_DEACTIVE as expected, I paid for it.....

What does a phone with CM10.1 show??

anyone?

Or will the above only work on Stock or Stock based ROM's??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Not sure if this is related to teh phone, swype, boards or something else but am wondering if anyone else gets the same.

If I'm entering a post and go back to correct a word, the cursor will jump around and start writing at the beginning of the message, moving words about. It's impossible to go back to the original cursor position as it just jumps back again to the beginning. Basically it's impossible to correct a typo on touch.boards.ie
    I sometimes get odd behaviour with the cursor like that - e.g. no matter where I tap the cursor goes somewhere else. I don't get it unilaterally selecting or deleting text though. I am using Swype but seem to recall this happening on the stock keyboard as well. I'm on Stock+ R2. I also seem to recall getting this on CM10.1 but I may be mistaken...

TM wrote: »
    I sometimes get odd behaviour with the cursor like that - e.g. no matter where I tap the cursor goes somewhere else. I don't get it unilaterally selecting or deleting text though. I am using Swype but seem to recall this happening on the stock keyboard as well. I'm on Stock+ R2. I also seem to recall getting this on CM10.1 but I may be mistaken...

Generally doesn't happen using Opera Mobile with the touch site for me....

shocking with default and Boat browsers.

Maybe worth a try.

Why no Tapatalk or even Forum Runner plugins for Boards is the question... Revenue??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Just a heads up for those with the Ascend G300, and who have not yet SIM/Network unlocked the phone.

If you want to save a little money, and you want to unlock, apparently flashing CM10.1 will SIM/Network Unlock the phone.....

See this Modaco thread, and further info how to check SIM lack status on G300....

see here for how to check SIM/Network lock status on your Ascend G300...from my post on Modaco....
    If this does work, it doesn't persist after removing CM10.1

Adyx wrote: »
    If this does work, it doesn't persist after removing CM10.1

Thanks for that, I don't know, just saying what was said on Modaco....I never used CM10!!

unfortunately the young guys there don't seem to want to answer (hard) questions??...

Only one guy really confirmed it, said it worked for him on CM10.

Did you have to pay for SIM unlock??

Not that it is expensive mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Thanks for that, I don't know, just saying what was said on Modaco....I never used CM10!!

unfortunately the young guys there don't seem to want to answer (hard) questions??...

Only one guy really confirmed it, said it worked for him on CM10.

Did you have to pay for SIM unlock??

Not that it is expensive mind.
    Oh I didn't unlock at all so I'm not bothered. I'm with Vodafone I just checked to see if it worked for the sake of it. :) I was on CM10.1 but I'm on Stock+ now and it says it's still locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

girlfriend has one of these

it won't recognise the Micro SD card she has inserted. it has all her music on it
    how can I solve this for her??

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    girlfriend has one of these

it won't recognise the Micro SD card she has inserted. it has all her music on it
    how can I solve this for her??

She has a Micro SDHC card, like this....

00532_image1.jpg

did it come with an adaptor like the one pictured?

Have you tried it on a Laptop, if it has a card reader??

What are you getting on the phone, like what's showing in settings/storage?

What happens when you connect phone to Laptop by USB, do you get USB connected showing on your phone, Green Android Man, something like below...USB Debugging should be checked!!

USB_connected_android_1.png

You should see both your Internal SD, and your External SD, like so:

USB.jpg

Any of this help??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I'm thinking of getting one of these phones today. Does anyone know can you use it to "tether" to a iPad as in sharing its Internet with other wireless devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

Unlocking isn't too hard http://www.modaco.com/topic/358599-how-to-free-sim-unlock-your-g300/page__hl__%20unlock
    Mine was locked to vodafone uk, and that did the trick for me.

I'm thinking of getting one of these phones today. Does anyone know can you use it to "tether" to a iPad as in sharing its Internet with other wireless devices?

The wifi tether works on CM9 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

The wifi tether works on CM9 for me.[/Quote]
    Thanks but what is "CM9"?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

CyanogenMod, its a rom.

It should probably work on the standard rom as well provided your mobile provider hasn't blocked access to it.

IrishHomer wrote: »

You can tether without any restrictions with Tesco Mobile....

in fact, if you are on Tesco PAYG, and top up by €25 a month, you get €25 extra for calls that month[that's €50!!!], you can call other Tesco mobiles for free, you can send unlimited texts to any number in Ireland, and have unlimited Data for the month.... [**fair use policy below**]

**http://www.tescomobile.ie/tcs-unlimited-text-and-data-offer.aspx
    As with our Double Value credit priceplan, your Bonus credit expires after 30 days from the date of top up. Your actual top up value credit will not expire other than in accordance with general terms and conditions.
    A fair usage limit applies to the 30 day period succeeding your top up of 5,000 texts to mobile phones in the Republic of Ireland.
    A fair usage limit applies to the 30 day period succeeding your top up of 15GB of data used in the Republic of Ireland.
    A fair usage limit applies to the 30 day period succeeding your top up of 300 minutes of calls per day to Tesco Mobile while in the Republic of Ireland.

If still on Vodafone and stock ROM, Tethering and Hotspot are apparently allowed, they have very good guides linked below. These are worth looking at if you are new to this phone!!!

WiFi Hotspot:

http://deviceguides.vodafone.ie/web/huawei-ascend-g300/customise/wi-fi/use-your-phone-as-wi-fi-hotspot/

Tethering via USB:

http://deviceguides.vodafone.ie/web/huawei-ascend-g300/customise/connecting-phone-and-computer/use-tethering/

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Hi Guys

I have one off these and the ringer volume is woeful does anybody know a way to get the ringer volume to increase i have got loudringtones from the app store but there isnt much difference

Thanks in advance

bob50 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I have one off these and the ringer volume is woeful does anybody know a way to get the ringer volume to increase i have got loudringtones from the app store but there isnt much difference

Thanks in advance

What version are you running, did you update via OTA?? [Over The Air from Huawei]. Custom or Stock ROM, GB or ICS/JB??

This issue was supposed to have been fixed long ago, AFAIK.

There is an App called Volume Control + you could try...

Also, another one the ModaCo guys used to recommend, but I think dev has abandoned the Play Store version...

try it from here, it's the devs blog, with a d/l link....this is the link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56466503/BetaBuilds/VolumePlus1.8.1.0BETA.apk

needs to be side-loaded, so allow Unknown Sources in Settings/Applications!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 banana_skin

the €20 discount for switching your [Tesco] number..

Apologies in advance for the pure newbie question(s), but I'm going to ask anyway.

To get the Tesco number to avail of the discount, I order a free sim from the webpage, does this have a new number, that I will then port over to Vodafone for the €20 off? Or does this have the same number as I currently have, in which case would I need the racier €2.50 :eek: SIM? (as I'd like to keep my current number on my current network)

And to bring an end to my stupidity, would I have to activate the Tesco SIM to enable it to be ported. I'd need to send a text or ring from that SIM to activate? In which case I'd have to put some credit into it....correct?

Apologies in advance for the pure newbie question(s), but I'm going to ask anyway.

To get the Tesco number to avail of the discount, I order a free sim from the webpage, does this have a new number, that I will then port over to Vodafone for the €20 off? Or does this have the same number as I currently have, in which case would I need the racier €2.50 :eek: SIM? (as I'd like to keep my current number on my current network)

And to bring an end to my stupidity, would I have to activate the Tesco SIM to enable it to be ported. I'd need to send a text or ring from that SIM to activate? In which case I'd have to put some credit into it....correct?

OK... You are just using the Tesco SIM for the discount... 20 is 20!!!

So you can port the Tesco number to Vodafone!!! If you want to. [edit you will have to!!]

You will get a Vodafone SIM with the phone, which will not be enabled until you port your Tesco number. [Incorrect now I think]

Now u got a SIM with a Vodafone 089 number....:O

but you may have your own SIM.... I don't know your Network, but if Vodafone, just stick in your existing SIM.... no need to Network/SIM unlock phone unless you want or need to.

If another Network, you will need to SIM unlock to use your existing SIM.. It costs about €6/7.00 on eBay.....very cheap.

I forget if there's more to it, I'll check and get back to you. Ok

EDIT, after I got sick 2-2 loss to Austria.......OMG!!!

So, you need to have your Tesco SIM in an unlocked or a Tesco locked phone and active when ordering your Ascend from Vodafone, they check by sending a SMS message with a security code to the Tesco number!!! see pic below: [you will have to enter this in code the order form!!!]

switch_voda.jpg

Your Current Mobile means the Tesco number with the free SIM!!!

So, you will need access to an unlocked phone....for the scenario above to work.

There may be another way, by going into a Vodafone shop, with your Tesco SIM, buying the phone there, and porting the Tesco number there and then.

Sorry for any confusion, it is a while since I did this, and I had access to an unlocked old Nokia phone, which i used for the Tesco SIM porting to Voda.

When I got the phone, I SIM unlocked the Ascend on eBay, and just used my own SIM in the new phone.

What version are you running, did you update via OTA?? [Over The Air from Huawei]. Custom or Stock ROM, GB or ICS/JB??

This issue was supposed to have been fixed long ago, AFAIK.

There is an App called Volume Control + you could try...

Also, another one the ModaCo guys used to recommend, but I think dev has abandoned the Play Store version...

try it from here, it's the devs blog, with a d/l link....this is the link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56466503/BetaBuilds/VolumePlus1.8.1.0BETA.apk

needs to be side-loaded, so allow Unknown Sources in Settings/Applications!!!

Hi Irishpancake, thanks for your advice its running android 4.0.3 version 2030
    I done a ota when i got the phone didnt fix it
    The volume control + didnt make any difference

I can get into devs blog but cant open the file

Sorry for been a pain on this and i know ur upset with the football result.
    any other options ?

Thanks bob

how do you do a

Hi Irishpancake, thanks for your advice its running android 4.0.3 version 2030
    I done a ota when i got the phone didnt fix it
    The volume control + didnt make any difference

I can get into devs blog but cant open the file

Sorry for been a pain on this and i know ur upset with the football result.
    any other options ?

Thanks bob

how do you do a

I am in even more pain now, watching Vincent Browne on telly, with Brendan Burgess making me wanna puke!!!

Anyway, the file you are talking about is the VolumePlus1.8.1.0BETA.apk??

Did you download it with your computer/laptop or your phone??

It is an Android Application Package file...

so you need it on your phone, to install it as an App.

If you downloaded it with your Phone Browser, it should be in the Download folder, and probably should have prompted you for install. If on your PC, you could transfer it via USB connection to the SD card, and run it with your file manager on the phone.

I don't know which one you use, if any, so let me know and I will help. If you just download it again on the phone, it should prompt for installation once downloaded....so I would try that if you have any problems.

You do need to have Unknown Sources enabled[checked].

You won't be able to open, or do anything with this file on a Windows PC/Lappy, unless you are using special software for apks. OK.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

My phone is lagging to death. Not sure if it's my music app (N7) or the ROM (CM9) or what.
    Is CM10 usable yet or would I be better going with Stock+ (is that JB or ICS?) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm on CM10.1 - was nice and quick when I installed it but has gone very slow now. I uninstalled Google+ which seems to be a bit of a resource hog and its a bit better, but I had the same issue on Infusion and I'm coming to the conclusion that the G300 just doesn't like ICS or JB, and in general is a bit underpowered.

My phone is lagging to death. Not sure if it's my music app (N7) or the ROM (CM9) or what.
    Is CM10 usable yet or would I be better going with Stock+ (is that JB or ICS?) ?

Stock+ is definitely the way to go....but the Dev Cyda is moving on, so the current version may be the last :(

CM needs more work, and it is a WIP, always!!!

It is ICS, based on Huawei Stock ICS ROM, and it has incorporated some stuff from V6 Supercharger, so it's pretty well optimised and fast.

You can optimise further, and overclock, using No Frills app, setting Max CPU speed to 1.19GHz, and using Governor to SmartassV2, and I/O scheduler to noop.

There is also now a way to unlock the Bootloader, if you e-mail Huawei they will send you a procedure, so it helps with random re-boots, caused by the bootloader being used on custom ICS, which is for originally for GB.[Ginger Bread, not England!!!]

It's all in the MoDaCo Ascend g300 forum!!!

There are new ROM's coming along all the time, so it's a little bit like the days of the ZTE Blade....definitely a phone for hackers, but can also be used as an everyday device.

Morning Irishpancake

Thanks for your help i done what you said but no difference Maybe its supposed to have a low ringtone ?

The only other thing i can think off is when i got the phone i bought one off these unlock codes from ebay which worked to unlock it and maybe thats causing the low ringer ?

any other tips will i would be much obliged

thanks bob

Morning Irishpancake

Thanks for your help i done what you said but no difference Maybe its supposed to have a low ringtone ?

The only other thing i can think off is when i got the phone i bought one off these unlock codes from ebay which worked to unlock it and maybe thats causing the low ringer ?

any other tips will i would be much obliged

thanks bob

No chance SIM unlock is causing this, whatsoever.

That's it I'm afraid, unless you need to go to these lads....joke!!

homepage_shocked_banner.jpg

Or, perhaps flashing a custom ROM, like Stock+.....there is no volume issue on my wifes phone running it, AFAIK....but maybe she won't tell me....:P

I'll just show you from her phone screen cap, what the Sound settings show:

Screenshot_2013-03-28-23-27-28.png

It's up to the max, and it would deafen ya!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I second what IrishP is saying. StockPlus is the dogs b****x of a rom. It is in the top 2 of the roms developed for this device, IMHO. Comes complete with Google Apps (Gapps). You won't go far wrong with it. And the call volume is top drawer.

Advertisement