Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Anyone else having a problem with Skype on this phone? Takes a long time to sign in and then keeps signing itself out.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

oceanclub wrote: »
    Anyone else having a problem with Skype on this phone? Takes a long time to sign in and then keeps signing itself out.

P.

It's much worse with the most recent Skype update. I reverted to an older version & it's much better.

These updates seem to use a lot more processing power. So when you multi task Skype disconnects. I have never had a problem whilst on a call.

Has anyone managed to move apps on to the sd card?

I have tried but I get a message that it's not possible on my device.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not really answering your question but Link2SD lets you move apps to the unused internal 2GB storage which IME is preferable.

I have this infuriating problem that every time I reboot the phone my ringtone gets reset to nothing.

Not really answering your question but Link2SD lets you move apps to the unused internal 2GB storage which IME is preferable.

I have this infuriating problem that every time I reboot the phone my ringtone gets reset to nothing.

Have you tried using a ring tone management app?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Is Link2SD the best solution for the G300? There are so many "Apps 2 SD Card" apps it's a confusing choice. some say they don't work with Android V 4 etc.

I've got a permanent message saying "Low on Space" so I need some sort of solution ASAP!!!

Ben

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Discodog wrote: »
    Have you tried using a ring tone management app?

I have not, but I will now consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

I think you need Cyda's Link2Int for this to work, as in utilise the internal 2GB, and init.d support for the scripts.

There is a thread here about it, but it is not as simple as just installing Link2SD....it needs this to work, and it works on most Stock ROM's, and CM9/10.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/359125-mod-link2int-v11-use-2gb-internal-as-app-storage-tested-with-cm9cm10cm101-0312/

You also need root, and a custom ROM, AFAIK??

I have it on my wifes phone, using Cyda's Stock+ ROM, and it gives no trouble, all apps are linked to the Internal SD [2GB] which would otherwise be unused when you have an external SD mounted.......leaving the SD Card to store media, music, and data...

it is cool.

Sometimes you get a Default Storage problem, as in it switches to Internal, it should be set to External for this to work...but you can just re-boot, it should be OK....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

is it ok to lob ths question in here?

i've liked this phone since i got it at christmas and the update that came out in february speeded up scrolling and sd card access tenfold. but now it's developed a problem - the speaker doesn't work. if i use headphones i can hear mp3s, but not youtube vids or ringtones or alarms.

without headphones i can't hear any sound. when it rings it vibrates alright but no ringtone. no sound from playing mp3s, recording video, not even a shutter sound when i use the camera.

any ideas? the only modding i've done is unlock it from vodafone so i could use my 3 sim, and as i said it was all good till two days ago. if i bring it back to the vodafone shop will having unlocked it void the warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭kindalen

hi,
    my phone keeps freezing when using touchpal to type a whatsapp message. restarting the phone solves issue for a short time.

any ideas?

thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Simi

artyeva wrote: »
    is it ok to lob ths question in here?

i've liked this phone since i got it at christmas and the update that came out in february speeded up scrolling and sd card access tenfold. but now it's developed a problem - the speaker doesn't work. if i use headphones i can hear mp3s, but not youtube vids or ringtones or alarms.

without headphones i can't hear any sound. when it rings it vibrates alright but no ringtone. no sound from playing mp3s, recording video, not even a shutter sound when i use the camera.

any ideas? the only modding i've done is unlock it from vodafone so i could use my 3 sim, and as i said it was all good till two days ago. if i bring it back to the vodafone shop will having unlocked it void the warranty?

No, bring it back. They won't notice the difference if you're still running official firmware.

Try a factory reset first to see if that helps. You're going to lose all your apps/data either way so it's worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

kindalen wrote: »
    hi,
    my phone keeps freezing when using touchpal to type a whatsapp message. restarting the phone solves issue for a short time.

any ideas?

thanks.

I did'nt like touchpal, so I downloaded the free version of Big Buttons and that works with any messaging app.

Simi wrote: »
    No, bring it back. They won't notice the difference if you're still running official firmware.

Try a factory reset first to see if that helps. You're going to lose all your apps/data either way so it's worth a shot.

tried a factory reset already, no joy. dammit. the ones in the local vodafone shop are.... well i'd probably have a more coherent conversation with my cat than try and explain a technical issue to them. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Does this phone take ages to charge or is it just me?

MarkR wrote: »
    I installed cyanogenmod 9 yesterday. 10 is still a bit buggy seemingly. Haven't had much of a chance to play around with it yet, but seems ok.

Hi MarkR, are you still happy with CM9? I'm about to flash my first ROM on the G300 and want to go with whatever delivers the fastest processing performance for playing movies/music, gives the best battery life and has the best wi-fi and GPS signal for using to track jogging etc.

Cheers,

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi MarkR, are you still happy with CM9? I'm about to flash my first ROM on the G300 and want to go with whatever delivers the fastest processing performance for playing movies/music, gives the best battery life and has the best wi-fi and GPS signal for using to track jogging etc.

Cheers,

Ben
    As much as I love CM9 I couldn't keep it on my phone. It was constantly losing the signal to the point where I was missing calls and texts about work and from people buying my stuff on Adverts. No matter where I was, I often had no signal at all.

I never had any such issues with previous stock based roms such as Infusion so as limiting as they are I'm back on Stock+ now. I have mine set up to over or under-clock depending on demand so I get pretty decent speed and battery life.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I put a stock+ rom on instead, I was having issues with bluetooth on cm9.

So far, so good on stock+

Damm :( Went ahead and flashed CM9 last night.

Downloading Stock+ right now and will flash it over CM9 based on what you both said about CM9.

Cheers,

Ben

Adyx wrote: »
    I have mine set up to over or under-clock depending on demand so I get pretty decent speed and battery life.

I tried different settings using the NoFrills app but anytime the NoFrills app made changes the phone rebooted and kept rebooting.

Is there some liitle trick I need to know about in order to use the NoFrills app to tweak performance?

If I leave the NoFrills app alone the phone doesn't reset.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I had problems with Stock+ (playing music seemed to hog the phone's resources to the point where if I tried to do anything else at the same time the music stuttered or stopped altogether).

so I went back to the new nightly version of CM10.1 and its a lot more stable than previous versions - haven't had a single crash or random reboot in the week or so I've been running it.

ultimately though, the phone itself is showing its price, it won run any graphically-heavy games (e.g. temple run) and is prone to slowing down randomly (same on every ROM I've tried) - I'd no longer recommend it to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

BenThere wrote: »
    I tried different settings using the NoFrills app but anytime the NoFrills app made changes the phone rebooted and kept rebooting.

Is there some liitle trick I need to know about in order to use the NoFrills app to tweak performance?

If I leave the NoFrills app alone the phone doesn't reset.

Ben
    As far as I remember I didn't use the No Frills App, I used either Pimp My Rom or ROM Toolbox Pro. Don't go overboard with the overclock - I think the developer of Stock+ got to about 1.19GHz before it became unstable. Don't underclock too much either (mine is set to 480MHz Min) because it can slow down things like answering a call when the phone is asleep. You can use Pimp My Rom to make sure you have init.d support which might solve the issue with the No Frills app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Adyx wrote: »
    As much as I love CM9 I couldn't keep it on my phone. It was constantly losing the signal to the point where I was missing calls and texts about work and from people buying my stuff on Adverts. No matter where I was, I often had no signal at all.

I never had any such issues with previous stock based roms such as Infusion so as limiting as they are I'm back on Stock+ now. I have mine set up to over or under-clock depending on demand so I get pretty decent speed and battery life.

I've been having this problem since I first put a ROM on my phone. If this stock+ cures it then I'm on board. It's been driving me crazy to the point where I'm almost going to get rid of an otherwise good phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

A little bit of bad news for G300 Roms. Kyan 31, a developer who posts on modaco.com, has ceased developing. His lappy died this evening and he dose'nt expect to get another one anytime soon. After all, he is only 14. Has developed , the Lightening, Electra & Tesla Roms. Link: http://www.modaco.com/forum/737-huawei-ascend-g300-development/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

My wife's had this phone for a few months now, and honestly I'm wondering if I'm missing something but she hates it. She's by no means a power users and just wanted a smartphone that runs Facebook and email it keeps running out memory/slowing to a crawl.

The phone currently has the default apps, Facebook and Dropbox running by default when it reboots. After a fresh reboot, the phone has 264MB used, 123MB free. If I start up FB, it's then 324MB used, 63 MB free. Any subsequent use just starts using up memory 'til it needs to be rebooted again. Any suggestions?

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

I have one of these that I'm selling. I got it unlocked after buying but what I would like to know is if I do a factory reset on it will it have to be unlocked by the buyer or does it keep the unlock.

it keeps the unlock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

oceanclub wrote: »
    My wife's had this phone for a few months now, and honestly I'm wondering if I'm missing something but she hates it. She's by no means a power users and just wanted a smartphone that runs Facebook and email it keeps running out memory/slowing to a crawl.

The phone currently has the default apps, Facebook and Dropbox running by default when it reboots. After a fresh reboot, the phone has 264MB used, 123MB free. If I start up FB, it's then 324MB used, 63 MB free. Any subsequent use just starts using up memory 'til it needs to be rebooted again. Any suggestions?

P.

I think the best way to get real value from these phones is to stick on a custom rom, am more than happy with mine and think that they are great phones (for the price!!).

Am considering going mad and getting a quad-core Chinese phone though as an upgrade (even though I don't actually need it!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Anyone else having trouble with the battery.It just will not charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Anyone else having trouble with the battery.It just will not charge.

I got a replacement battery for my one, and decided to go with a long-life battery, well worth it, even if it did make the phone a bit bigger.

Got my quad-core from China recently so have stopped using the G300 for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Well had this phone for a year or so now and only starting to give me trouble now, it has become very sluggish and lots of apps crashing.

Going to wipe and reflash stock+, but what other roms are people using?

Advertisement