Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Hi Everyone on this thread.

Bought this phone 2 weeks ago from vodafone i got it unlocked by buying a unlock code from ebay

I have noticed that the volume and ringtone are very low i.e if you leave the phone down or in your pocket you wont hear it ringing when somone is ringing you

Dont know if the unlock has caused this

Any help would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Are you on Gingerbread or ICS? Check About phone. I think that this may be a known issue with some or all stock ROMs. Some or all custom ROMs may address this. Certainly not a problem for me on Stock+.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Thanks TM will have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

TM wrote: »
    You mean you stayed on the 109808 GB baseband and installed Stock+ directly on top? I didn't think that you could do that since Stock+ is stock ICS (hence 2030 baseband) based. I know that in the last few days a few new mods have appeared from jsevi83 to allow ICS to run on the GB (109808) baseband and GB on the ICS (2030) baseband which solves a lot of problems - in particular makes downgrading/upgrading between ROM versions a lot easier and also holds out the prospect of no more G3 reboots if you run ICS with the original GB bootloader which is inherently unlocked. Haven't tried any of this yet myself though.

Backing up the IMEI is really only necessary for those operations that require you to zero it (or which might unilaterally change it?). No harm in doing a 5irom backup now but recent developments (see above) may render IMEI hacking and backups unnecessary. The IMEI is always on the phone itself and box but I'm not sure if it's easy to get it into 5irom format if you need to restore it. I'd do the backup just in case. Minimal hassle for something that may be very important later or may remain unused. :)
    You mean you stayed on the 109808 GB baseband and installed Stock+ directly on top?

Jesus no....sorry....

I was just responding to your post regarding how you had upgraded to ICS via OTA and went to Stock+ [eventually :) ] for the benefit of Cereal Number....just to let him/her know there is a way without actually needing to remove/freeze Voda bloatware, etc.
    Originally Posted by TM
    Actually I did the stock Vodafone ota update to ics&2030 baseband and then rooted etc then installed custom Roms. Infusion then cm9 then cm10.1 and now stock+.

I took the same path over a very long night!!!

But I see what you are saying regarding the bootloader problem, which seems to be the source of these 3G reboots.....

but....but....there is newz from Modaco
    Redflake wrote:
    Just to say I'm running this on gb baseband. Will report if I get any reboots. All seems OK so far.

And, even more interesting, this thread.......a method via CWM flash, to re-lock the ICS bootloader for Stock based ROM's, like Stock+ !!!!....from jsevi83
    I made a zip to relock the bootloader in ICS for those who have a lot of reboots related to 3G. The zip installs ICS B952 original bootloader, stock recovery and stock boot.img, so it only works for roms based on ICS stock (like Lightning, slim, Infusion, Stock Plus, etc) and you won't be able to use overclock. It doesn't work for CyanogenMod roms because of the boot.img, so DO NOT install this in CyanogenMod roms or your phone won't boot.

INSTRUCTIONS: Download the zip, copy it to your sdcard, reboot to recovery, install the zip and reboot your phone.

DOWNLOAD: http://www.solidfile...m/d/d45bd0471b/

This device and Dev Community just keeps on giving!!!! :)

Anyone have the meteor mms settings?

I think you should set up a separate MMS APN....here are Meteors own settings according to their Rep Colm.......here
    Internet APN

Name: Meteor Data
    APN: data.mymeteor.ie
    Proxy: <Not set>
    Port: <Not set>
    Username: <Not set>
    Password: <Not set>
    Server: <Not set>
    MMSC: <Not set>
    MMS proxy: <Not set>
    MMS port: <Not set>
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 03
    Authentication type: PAP
    APN type: default,supl
    APN protocol IPv4
    Bearer Unspecified

MMS APN:

Name: Meteor MMS
    APN: mms.mymeteor.ie
    Proxy: <Not set>
    Port: <Not set>
    Username: my
    Password: wap
    Server: <Not set>
    MMSC: http://mms.mymeteor.ie
    MMS proxy: 10.85.85.85
    MMS port: 8799
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 03
    Authentication type: PAP
    APN type: mms
    APN protocol IPv4
    Bearer Unspecified

• Advertisement

irishpancake - yeah - saw all the interesting news on MoDaCo over the past few days from jsevi83. Looks interesting. Right now I toggle to 2G from 3G when not using the faster data in order to avoid reboots and to save battery but sometimes I forget so if jsevi83's stuff works to address the "3G reboot" problem then that'll be great. I just haven't tried it yet. My current plan is to do a clean install of Stock+ R6 (still on R4) and then try that stuff out.

Just wondering (and apologies if you already said so but...) have you tried Slim, Lightning and/or AtomicMod at all? After running Stock+ for a week or two now it seems pretty good but as ever I'm always wondering if I'm missing out on something even better! :D I do like the CM ROMs but there seemed to be too many outstanding issues for me to use them on a daily basis.

irishpancake - yeah - saw all the interesting news on MoDaCo over the past few days from jsevi83. Looks interesting. Right now I toggle to 2G from 3G when not using the faster data in order to avoid reboots and to save battery but sometimes I forget so if jsevi83's stuff works to address the "3G reboot" problem then that'll be great. I just haven't tried it yet. My current plan is to do a clean install of Stock+ R6 (still on R4) and then try that stuff out.

Just wondering (and apologies if you already said so but...) have you tried Slim, Lightning and/or AtomicMod at all? After running Stock+ for a week or two now it seems pretty good but as ever I'm always wondering if I'm missing out on something even better! :D I do like the CM ROMs but there seemed to be too many outstanding issues for me to use them on a daily basis.

Hi TM..

This phone reminds me so much of my olde trusty ZTE Blade/OSF.

The Dev community have embraced it.

But that was my phone....believe or not my son has to still and loves it.

I would need to prise the Ascend from Mrs. Pancakes hands to try other ROMs :-!

However, in the dead of night.... all things are possible :-)

BTW.. I am of the opinion that staying on 2g is much of battery friendly... you can toggle when needed.

Just a small query.

I have set the Wifi in Advanced Settings under "Keep Wifi on during sleep" to "Never"

This worked in Stock GB ROMs to let phone deep sleep when screen timed out.

However on this ROM Stock+ 6, Wifi stays on, so needs to be switched off beforehand.

Have you seen this on Stock+ 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Hey, Irish, have to agree with you re the Blade. This G 300 is like Blade 2:). Extremely cutomisable. I see on Modaco, there's a Baidu repack. Have to say I found the Chinese repacks were more solid than the others. That is until Cyda came along with Stock+.

BTW.. I am of the opinion that staying on 2g is much of battery friendly... you can toggle when needed.
    Definitely. Using 2G normally and 3G only on demand when needed I get about 2 days from a charge. Almost double what I get if I leave 3G on always.
    I have set the Wifi in Advanced Settings under "Keep Wifi on during sleep" to "Never"

This worked in Stock GB ROMs to let phone deep sleep when screen timed out.

However on this ROM Stock+ 6, Wifi stays on, so needs to be switched off beforehand.

Have you seen this on Stock+ 4?
    Yes - see MoDaCo. That's me. :D

Definitely. Using 2G normally and 3G only on demand when needed I get about 2 days from a charge. Almost double what I get if I leave 3G on always.

Yes - see MoDaCo. That's me. :D

You dalyer?? get outta here!!

Anyways, I think this app .....suggested by zece on MoDaCo will solve the WiFi refusal to sleep problem....at least it seems to do so!!

Over 99% Deep Sleep last night, and Battery was same as when the phone went to sleep....53% both times. [Sleep and Wake]. 7 hours straight.....

It's just a pity I can't get Cyda interested enough to look into why the system setting does not work as expected!!

[Basically told me to f*** off and try another ROM....which I will!!!]

These guys are fragile, he already went off in a huff once, so I don't want to push him too much, it's such a small thing!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Noticed a few of you posting on Modaco. I have been trying the Stock+ rom for the past few weeks. Have found it grand but recently noticed that battery life isn't great. I have always used an app,Greenpower,to control my data connections,which has worked fine. It didn't seem to help on Stock+ though. I have reverted back to Infusion & have noticed an improvement once again. Anyone else noticed a big drain on stock+ compared to Infusion. I saw that Irishpancake has issues with wifi.

You dalyer?? get outta here!!
    ;)
    Anyways, I think this app .....suggested by zece on MoDaCo will solve the WiFi refusal to sleep problem....at least it seems to do so!!

Over 99% Deep Sleep last night, and Battery was same as when the phone went to sleep....53% both times. [Sleep and Wake]. 7 hours straight.....
    I tried that and it does seem to work alright.
    It's just a pity I can't get Cyda interested enough to look into why the system setting does not work as expected!!

These guys are fragile, he already went off in a huff once, so I don't want to push him too much, it's such a small thing!!!
    Ah - I suppose there's a bit of prima donna-ism going on sometimes (read some of the IRC transcripts to see what some developers think of some pleb users! :D) and sometimes people do overreact on message boards (e.g. Cyda's huff that you mention). I know his post was a bit abrupt but I wouldn't take it personally. And besides it seems to me so far that Stock+ is one of the better and more usable ROMs available.... But I'm always open to correction and persuasion.
    jgbyr wrote: »
    Noticed a few of you posting on Modaco. I have been trying the Stock+ rom for the past few weeks. Have found it grand but recently noticed that battery life isn't great. I have always used an app,Greenpower,to control my data connections,which has worked fine. It didn't seem to help on Stock+ though. I have reverted back to Infusion & have noticed an improvement once again. Anyone else noticed a big drain on stock+ compared to Infusion. I saw that Irishpancake has issues with wifi.

Noticed a few of you posting on Modaco. I have been trying the Stock+ rom for the past few weeks. Have found it grand but recently noticed that battery life isn't great.
    Do you mean that it was OK but then disimproved? Maybe try investigating battery drains using Better Battery Stats (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1179809), CPU Spy etc.? I found that real battery killers were 3G (I stay on 2G and just toggle to 3G when needed and also to avoid 3G reboots because I haven't yet done the ICS on GB baseband/bootloader hack from jsevi83 yet) and Google location services/Latitude being enabled. On Stock+ I get about 2 days from charge now but I guess that I am a light enough user in terms of calls, texts, browsing and other apps.
    I have always used an app,Greenpower,to control my data connections,which has worked fine.
    Must check that out.
    It didn't seem to help on Stock+ though. I have reverted back to Infusion & have noticed an improvement once again. Anyone else noticed a big drain on stock+ compared to Infusion. I saw that Irishpancake has issues with wifi.
    As I say I reckon you'd need to investigate a bit to see why things seem to be worse on Stock+.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Which one will you do ?? F*** off or try another rom ??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

How much can you get these for now ?
    looking to port a number aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Ste- wrote: »
    How much can you get these for now ?
    looking to port a number aswell.

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones-and-plans/phones/pay-as-you-go/phone-details/huawei-ascend-g300

Do you mean that it was OK but then disimproved? Maybe try investigating battery drains using Better Battery Stats (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1179809), CPU Spy etc.? I found that real battery killers were 3G (I stay on 2G and just toggle to 3G when needed and also to avoid 3G reboots because I haven't yet done the ICS on GB baseband/bootloader hack from jsevi83 yet) and Google location services/Latitude being enabled. On Stock+ I get about 2 days from charge now but I guess that I am a light enough user in terms of calls, texts, browsing and other apps.

Must check that out.

As I say I reckon you'd need to investigate a bit to see why things seem to be worse on Stock+.
    Funnily enough since going back to infusion I'm finding battery is lasting longer. I'm quite a heavy user.

eamonnq wrote: »
    Which one will you do ?? F*** off or try another rom ??:D

Ahhh now!! neither....

I get his abruptness.....:P

I have been that soldier.....and I was gettin paid :cool:

Funnily enough since going back to infusion I'm finding battery is lasting longer. I'm quite a heavy user.
    Haven't used it in a while. Is Infusion on par with Stock+ in terms of stability and functionality? For example unlike CM10.1 I haven't found any issue with Stock+ that causes me problems...

What weight are you?? :D

Seriously, when I had to get weighed before recent surgery I woz shocked...nobody told me!!!! [blame the wife!!!!]

That's what I get for spending soooo much time in front of screens, posture, pains in me thumb, RSI, etc. etc

• Advertisement

Haven't used it in a while. Is Infusion on par with Stock+ in terms of stability and functionality? For example unlike CM10.1 I haven't found any issue with Stock+ that causes me problems...

I haven't really noticed a huge difference between the two. Both seem very stable to me. I suppose it's just my own preference. Cyda is still working away on Stock + though. I think we have seen the end of infusion unless Tillaz gets another phone.

I think yer man Tilaz seems to be very helpful dev.....was he one of the first to bring out an ICS custom ROM?? and continued to support it, with OTA and all!!

And no phone for most of the time? unreal!!!

Actually Daz is good too, I used ROM by him on another phone, the ZTE Crescent, and it was gas, following the twists and turns on a nightly basis as the development continued, public problem solving, like a mystery novel.....

a lot of the same guys have turned up with the Ascend!!!

Honest to God lads, throw them a tenner if you can afford it, they put in trojan work, for nada, so a pint or two won't hurt us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Considering buying one of these up North tomorrow. Is it still the best value for money phone around?

It's either this at £100 or the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 at £129.

With the Ace 2 I could get it on o2 (My own network) and not have to bother unlocking it.

I haven't really checked the specs of the Ace 2 out yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Simi

curry-muff wrote: »
    Considering buying one of these up North tomorrow. Is it still the best value for money phone around?

With the Ace 2 I could get it on o2 (My own network) and not have to bother unlocking it.

To be honest the ace 2 is a better phone in almost every respect. It's only downside is the smaller screen.

The ascend is a nice phone, but the stock firmware is just plain bad and the cyanogenmod ports just aren't far enough along to be a viable alternative.

Are you going North just for this??

Cos it's available for less from Vodafone here, basically €100 if you port a number, say from a free Tesco Sim.

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones-and-plans/phones/pay-as-you-go/phone-details/huawei-ascend-g300

And there is further discount available through another website, forget the name will post link when I check.

So going North would be expensive unless you have another reason.

****EDIT****

That site is fatcheese...

http://www.fatcheese.ie/cashback/vodafone-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

If the Ace 2 is 129 sterling then you are buying it in the UK and as such the phone would be locked to O2 UK and so won't work on O2 Ireland's network

If the Ace 2 is 129 sterling then you are buying it in the UK and as such the phone would be locked to O2 UK and so won't work on O2 Ireland's network

Ah they can be network/sim unlocked.

http://www.cellunlocker.net/blog/2012/11/unlock-samsung-galaxy-ace-2-ii-i8160-how-to-unlock-galaxy-ace-ii-2-gt-i8160-by-unlock-code/

Sometimes they aren't even locked.... you can get this app and check without even trying your own network sim

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lidroid.sgs.secretcode

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Ah they can be network/sim unlocked.

Ah I know they can be unlocked however the user said that he could just buy the Ace 2 without worrying about unlocking it where this mightn't be the case so just wanted to point it out before he pulled the trigger

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not sure if this is related to teh phone, swype, boards or something else but am wondering if anyone else gets the same.

If I'm entering a post and go back to correct a word, the cursor will jump around and start writing at the beginning of the message, moving words about. It's impossible to go back to the original cursor position as it just jumps back again to the beginning. Basically it's impossible to correct a typo on touch.boards.ie

• Advertisement

Ah I know they can be unlocked however the user said that he could just buy the Ace 2 without worrying about unlocking it where this mightn't be the case so just wanted to point it out before he pulled the trigger

Yer right there boss....sorry!! :o

I should learn to read before I post...

I just have!! Cheers :D

Advertisement