Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

Hi expert Ascend'ers,
    I have this phone rooted and running CyanogenMod 9.1 (i think!)
    On my older phones I used the speakerphone a lot at my desk and in the car for handsfree operation. However, with this phone I cannot work out how to turn on the handsfree speaker option when making or receiving a call. On the interface there is an icon of a speaker that can be toggled on/off with the appropriate lighting of the icon taking place but it appears to have no impact on allowing the voice of the caller to be transmitted via the speaker. I gues I am missing an obvious setting soemwhere but to date I cannot locate it.

Any clues? If I can get it to work then I can use Skyvi as a handsfree device in the car without having to buy a bluetooth thingy. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 catskin

Hi all,

First time poster on something mobile related. I bought this phone from Vodafone for my wife. I then got the phone unlocked as we wanted to use a Tesco Mobile Sim Only plan. I have inserted the Tesco SIM and my wife can make calls and texts with no problems. However she cannot seem to get a internet connection. We don't have a WiFi connection at home so I want to get the 3G internet connection working. The data connection setting is switched on so I'm not sure what other settings I need to configure in order to get the Internet working. Can you someone please advise?

p.s. I am not very tech savy when it comes to mobile devises

Thanks
    Catskin

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

catskin wrote: »
    Hi all,

First time poster on something mobile related. I bought this phone from Vodafone for my wife. I then got the phone unlocked as we wanted to use a Tesco Mobile Sim Only plan. I have inserted the Tesco SIM and my wife can make calls and texts with no problems. However she cannot seem to get a internet connection. We don't have a WiFi connection at home so I want to get the 3G internet connection working. The data connection setting is switched on so I'm not sure what other settings I need to configure in order to get the Internet working. Can you someone please advise?

p.s. I am not very tech savy when it comes to mobile devises

Thanks
    Catskin

you need to set up the Tesco APN:
    http://www.tescomobile.ie/helpandsupport/phone-settings.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭yelselseivad

I have had a Huawei Ascent 300 since June and have found it great. I wanted to get my mom a phone so checked BEFORE I bought hers that she could hear the calls coming in on mine e.g that the volume was loud enough. I got her a Huawei for Mother's day and she kept missing calls. I thought she just was having trouble getting used to it but when I compared her's and mine there was a significant difference in volume. Both phones seem to be on the same settings so I wasn't sure what the problem was. I returned it to the store and let them hear the difference in volume between the two, which both assistants acknowledged. They send hers off to be checked. It came back today saying that no faults were detected. Where do I go from here? I have bought a phone for my mom that she can't hear to answer calls. I'm not giving her mine either as I can't hear her phone ringing either. I'd really appreciate some suggestions as to where to go to from here. I left the phone in the store and asked them to see if they could come up with a solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,850 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have had a Huawei Ascent 300 since June and have found it great. I wanted to get my mom a phone so checked BEFORE I bought hers that she could hear the calls coming in on mine e.g that the volume was loud enough. I got her a Huawei for Mother's day and she kept missing calls. I thought she just was having trouble getting used to it but when I compared her's and mine there was a significant of difference in volume. Both phones seem to be on the same settings so I wasn't sure what the problem was. I returned it to the store and let them hear the difference in volume between the two, which both assistants acknowledged. They send hers off to be checked. It came back today saying that no faults were detected. Where do I go from here? I have bought a phone for my mom that she can't hear to answer calls. I'm not giving her mine either as I can't hear her phone ringing either. I'd really appreciate some suggestions as to where to go to from here. I left the phone in the store and asked them to see if they could come up with a solution.

Check that it's on the latest firmware. Mine improved after updating.

If all else fails then try an app called Sanity. You can set it to default to speaker for all calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Posted this thread in BA, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056913375

According to a few posters in the last couple of pages,they are being offered the G300 for €59.99 from VF as the original phone (Smart 2) is out of stock.Anyone who gets Dunnes value club mailings should check them for a voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I have had a Huawei Ascent 300 since June and have found it great. I wanted to get my mom a phone so checked BEFORE I bought hers that she could hear the calls coming in on mine e.g that the volume was loud enough. I got her a Huawei for Mother's day and she kept missing calls. I thought she just was having trouble getting used to it but when I compared her's and mine there was a significant difference in volume. Both phones seem to be on the same settings so I wasn't sure what the problem was. I returned it to the store and let them hear the difference in volume between the two, which both assistants acknowledged. They send hers off to be checked. It came back today saying that no faults were detected. Where do I go from here? I have bought a phone for my mom that she can't hear to answer calls. I'm not giving her mine either as I can't hear her phone ringing either. I'd really appreciate some suggestions as to where to go to from here. I left the phone in the store and asked them to see if they could come up with a solution.

I gather from your post that you have only the Stock firmware on Mum's phone. If you could root it or get it rooted, you could put a custom rom on it. Most of the current custom roms have solved the volume issue. Have a look at http://www.modaco.com/forum/650-huawei-ascend-g300-g300modacocom/. There's a power of advice on that forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Theres a free app here that has some very loud ringtones. It might solve it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 catskin

loyatemu wrote: »
    Thanks, that worked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Just a heads up for those with the Ascend G300, and who have not yet SIM/Network unlocked the phone.

If you want to save a little money, and you want to unlock, apparently flashing CM10.1 will SIM/Network Unlock the phone.....

See this Modaco thread, and further info how to check SIM lack status on G300....

see here for how to check SIM/Network lock status on your Ascend G300...from my post on Modaco....
    Did you find out if that if you upgrade to CM 10 and then maybe change again to Meijarom will the phone still be unlocked?

My brother got the phone for 60 quid with that Dunnes voucher!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

clonadlad wrote: »
    Did you find out if that if you upgrade to CM 10 and then maybe change again to Meijarom will the phone still be unlocked?

I was on CM10 and switched to Stock+ and my phone is not unlocked. Then again, I never checked if it was unlocked on CM10 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

clonadlad wrote: »

Adyx wrote: »
    I was on CM10 and switched to Stock+ and my phone is not unlocked. Then again, I never checked if it was unlocked on CM10 either.

Dunno really, just I picked that up on Modaco, and that's why I said apparently!!! :p

Don't think it's permanent Network unlock though, you could try my method, which I linked to check, it works to check, and unlocking is very cheap, like less than a tenner!!!
    Are you saying it's a permanent SIM/network unlock??

If you flash another ROM, will you be Network locked again??

What does *#*#2846579#*#* show...

you should get Testing screen...

with Menu containing MMITest_II and ProjectMenu

Click on ProjectMenu.....then you get 5 options

Click 3. Network setting

another Menu opens called NetSetting

Click 2. SIM card lock state query

You will get a pop-up showing your SIM card lock state.....see pic

Screenshot_2013-03-24-14-43-56.jpg

Mine shows SIMLOCK_DEACTIVE as expected, I paid for it.....

What does a phone with CM10.1 show??

anyone?

Or will the above only work on Stock or Stock based ROM's??

Maybe the above will help anyone who wants to find out their current lock status!!

My missus is on Stock +, very happy with it, and won't allow me any more messin with her phone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭yelselseivad

If I root it will that void the guarantee? Also, how difficult is it to do?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If I make a nandroid backup of my phone (on CyanogenMod 9.1) and then load Stock+, can I come back to CM9.1 just by restoring the backup?

Also, If I put on Stock+ will I be able to use Link2SD to use the internal 2GB space as I currently do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

If I root it will that void the guarantee? Also, how difficult is it to do?
    It's a bit of a grey area I think, VF might say yes but it's totally reversible should you need to ever return the phone. It's very easy to do, check out some of the guides on Modaco.
    If I make a nandroid backup of my phone (on CyanogenMod 9.1) and then load Stock+, can I come back to CM9.1 just by restoring the backup?

Also, If I put on Stock+ will I be able to use Link2SD to use the internal 2GB space as I currently do?
    I haven't tried it with those two particular roms, but I don't see why not - I have done it with other roms. Just make sure to do the usual wipes before restoring the backups. Stock+ comes with Link2SD installed so I would say yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Quick question about this phone please.

My phone constantly tells me i have no space on my virtual memory.

I downloaded three seperate app to sd apps but they all say not compatible with this phone.

I also deleted the majority of my apps and my phone memory is now 40% used and 60% free but i still keep ketting messages stating out of virtual memory and unable to install updates.

Anyone know what i'm doing wrong? I have not done anything fance to the phone its not rooted or modded in any way? Very frustrating. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi guys,

Just bought one of these from VF on PAYG. I updated the software straight away and I'm now on 4.0.3.

The ring volume seems very low but I know this is a bit of an issue.

I'd appreciate some tips on increasing the ring volume (is there an app?) and maximising battery life other than selecting 2g networks only which I've already done.

Great phone for the money.

Also, has anyone used these spare batteries and charger? http://www.ebay.ie/itm/With-Tracking-Q733-2X-Battery-Charger-For-Huawei-Ascend-G300-U8815-U8818-M660-/400375472689?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item5d383ce231#ht_820wt_1163

Cheers,

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

What Recovery are you using?? Certainly make a Nandroid.

Make sure you do all wipes before flashing Stock based ROM after having a CM ROM.

Wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, and wipe dalvik cache, then go into mounts & storage and format system.

If you are using Stock+ or other Stock based ROM, use Link2Int, [Link to Internal] which is Cyda's take on Link2SD, and is probably what you mean....

it is included as a separate flashable zip in the Stock + thread on Modaco.

To go back to CM, just restore your Nandroid, no need to wipe, the Restore process takes care of the wipes.

[Make sure you make a Nandroid also if you want to have a copy of your Stock + ROM.]

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lockster

Hi All, I'm just looking for some advice. My wife has been using my old Galaxy S1 for over a year but she managed to drop it at the weekend and smash the screen. She's on O2 pay as you go and doesn't want to switch networks. So I was looking at the possibility of getting a G300 from Amazon and then using ebay to get an unlock code perhaps from this guy;

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Huawei-ASCEND-unlock-code-G600-G330-Y100-Y200-G300-U8650-U8652-U8665-858-U8815-/181089884067?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a29cc57a3#ht_1271wt_1037

Is this straight forward enough?

The other option is to get a Sony Xperia J from Carphone Warehouse for €159.

So my question is how does the G300 compare to the old Galaxy S1 and also against the Xperia J?

Thanks

• Advertisement

What Recovery are you using?? Certainly make a Nandroid.

Make sure you do all wipes before flashing Stock based ROM after having a CM ROM.

Wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, and wipe dalvik cache, then go into mounts & storage and format system.

If you are using Stock+ or other Stock based ROM, use Link2Int, [Link to Internal] which is Cyda's take on Link2SD, and is probably what you mean....

it is included as a separate flashable zip in the Stock + thread on Modaco.

To go back to CM, just restore your Nandroid, no need to wipe, the Restore process takes care of the wipes.

[Make sure you make a Nandroid also if you want to have a copy of your Stock + ROM.]

Thanks, pancs, exactly the details I needed :)

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just bought one of these from VF on PAYG. I updated the software straight away and I'm now on 4.0.3.

The ring volume seems very low but I know this is a bit of an issue.

I'd appreciate some tips on increasing the ring volume (is there an app?) and maximising battery life other than selecting 2g networks only which I've already done.

Great phone for the money.

Also, has anyone used these spare batteries and charger? http://www.ebay.ie/itm/With-Tracking-Q733-2X-Battery-Charger-For-Huawei-Ascend-G300-U8815-U8818-M660-/400375472689?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item5d383ce231#ht_820wt_1163

Cheers,

Ben

This app
    might help with the low ringtone volume.

Lockster wrote: »
    Hi All, I'm just looking for some advice. My wife has been using my old Galaxy S1 for over a year but she managed to drop it at the weekend and smash the screen. She's on O2 pay as you go and doesn't want to switch networks. So I was looking at the possibility of getting a G300 from Amazon and then using ebay to get an unlock code perhaps from this guy;

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Huawei-ASCEND-unlock-code-G600-G330-Y100-Y200-G300-U8650-U8652-U8665-858-U8815-/181089884067?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a29cc57a3#ht_1271wt_1037

Is this straight forward enough?

This process is very straightforward. The Ebay seller will look for the phone's IMEI and the network its locked on to and then will email the unlock code to you. I got one of these unlocked at Christmas by a different Ebay seller and there were no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭kindalen

My battery life has just really bad all of a sudden. Was abroad and only change to phone, i think, is changed apn settings.
    Am on three, any ideas? Barely getting 24hrs with low use.

I installed stock+ as the phone has become unusably slow on cm9. I'm confused once more about linking apps to the internal partition. Link2sd seems to think there is no partition and the Martin post of the phone is nearly full.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I installed stock+ as the phone has become unusably slow on cm9. I'm confused once more about linking apps to the internal partition. Link2sd seems to think there is no partition and the Martin post of the phone is nearly full.

The wha ???

had to google that bit

Found This, not sure he can help ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I figure this thread is probably the best place to post: my wife is currently on Vodafone billpay with a non-smartphone but wants something she can use for browsing/Skype/Facebook. My plan was to get her a Huawei G300 online from Vodafone PAYG (€119.99), then get it unlocked (I can do this thru eBay for sure?) then get her the €20-per-month SIM only plan from Three.

Anyone see any flaws in this? I've been complaints about the phone's memory (I'm an iPHone user so have no real experience of Android) but I presume Android 2.3 + 512 MB would be enough for her usage?

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭phonejacker

The notification sound has suddenly stopped working on my huawei g 300 phone (when you receive a text message). if you select vibrate and ring, it only vibrates. all the other sounds work like phone call ringtone, touch sounds, screen lock sounds work. have tried restarting phone, different ringtone but no success?

eamonnq wrote: »
    The wha ???

had to google that bit

Found This, not sure he can help ??

Hehe, that used to say 'main partition' but autocorrect mustn't have liked it.

• Advertisement

The notification sound has suddenly stopped working on my huawei g 300 phone (when you receive a text message). if you select vibrate and ring, it only vibrates. all the other sounds work like phone call ringtone, touch sounds, screen lock sounds work. have tried restarting phone, different ringtone but no success?

I had the same problem with a month ago so I posted on here. I was advised by an op to install gosms which I did and it solved the problem.

Advertisement