Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Adyx wrote: »
    What issues are you having? There might be an easier fix.

Storage sometimes defaults to internal after a reboot. I did reformat it as suggested by tillaz.
    Scanner apps shut down with an error message bout the camera. Again this is intermittent.
    The main issue I have is when I receive calls it takes bout 10 seconds for the name to appear on screen. At first you only see a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

jgbyr wrote: »
    Storage sometimes defaults to internal after a reboot. I did reformat it as suggested by tillaz.
    Scanner apps shut down with an error message bout the camera. Again this is intermittent.
    The main issue I have is when I receive calls it takes bout 10 seconds for the name to appear on screen. At first you only see a number.
    Yeah, I'm still getting that storage thing too but I was getting that on other ICS roms too before I switched to Infusion so it's likely Huawei's fault. I very rarely reboot though so I don't mind it as much.

I don't normally use a scanner app but I just re-installed Barcode Scanner and so far it's working ok but that doesn't mean anything since it's an intermittent error.

I can't say I've noticed the caller id issue either. I've read people suggest adjusting the CPU settings to a minimum of 480MHz instead of 320MHz so that the phone "wakes up" faster if it's asleep when you get a call though. Shouldn't have any major affect on the battery either.

There's another update to Infusion due soon so your issues might get fixed in that. Other than that it looks like a full update, all the wipes and re-install infusion is the way to go. At least with the unlockbootloader.exe it covers the unlock and rooting in one. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

lads ill be getting a Galaxy s3 next week so if you know anyone that might want my Ascend let me know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭phonejacker

when i try to install the lastest update in firmware upgrade it says "insufficient free space on the microSD card. please clean up the memory" but iv got 0.91 gb free on my sd card out of 4gb? how much free memory do i need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think about 500mb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭phonejacker

BostonB wrote: »
    I think about 500mb

i have 900mb free on the sd cards and 2.05gb on the internal memory(local) so im not sure what the problem is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

lads ill be getting a Galaxy s3 next week so if you know anyone that might want my Ascend let me know :)
    What are you looking for for it? Is this your wanted ad?

http://www.adverts.ie/mobile-phones/wanted-galaxy-s3-money-my-phone/2110017

TM wrote: »
    What are you looking for for it? Is this your wanted ad?

http://www.adverts.ie/mobile-phones/wanted-galaxy-s3-money-my-phone/2110017

The very one :D for a fellow Boardsie id sell for 90,I doubt anyone will want money plus the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nucleardublin

I think about 500mb

i have 900mb free on the sd cards and 2.05gb on the internal memory(local) so im not sure what the problem is

You need a 4GB card with 2GB free to install the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

No you don't I've only a 2gb card in and I was able to install it. When I first tried it it said I had insufficient space but after I deleted a few things it was ok. I think it needed about 900mb free before it worked, maybe it was a little bit more though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Blue Crystal

I see theres an update of circa 300MB that will erase the sd card, is this ICS?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The very one :D for a fellow Boardsie id sell for 90,I doubt anyone will want money plus the phone.

is it unlocked?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

loyatemu wrote: »
    is it unlocked?

yup and has the ICS update :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I updated to ICS and can't seem to retrieve my apps despite backing up the phone when prompted.

Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

I updated to ICS and can't seem to retrieve my apps despite backing up the phone when prompted.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Same thing happened to me, I ended up re downloading all the apps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Im definitely finding the official ics update a lot slower

Its improved a bit on mine once I've got rid of all but the simplest of widgets. Still not as fast as 2.3.6 IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

Discovered a transparent spot on my screen this morning, measuring about an inch by half an inch. Screen functions perfectly and when I touch the spot it appears to get slightly bigger and when I release contact it returns to the original size.
    The phone didn't fall or anything like that but I'm curious to hear if anyone else has experienced a similar problem?
    Going to bring it back to store since it appears to be a fault and the phone is less than 28 days old. Disappointed but hopefully I'll get some comeback from Vodafone or the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

enviro wrote: »
    Discovered a transparent spot on my screen this morning, measuring about an inch by half an inch. Screen functions perfectly and when I touch the spot it appears to get slightly bigger and when I release contact it returns to the original size.
    The phone didn't fall or anything like that but I'm curious to hear if anyone else has experienced a similar problem?
    Going to bring it back to store since it appears to be a fault and the phone is less than 28 days old. Disappointed but hopefully I'll get some comeback from Vodafone or the manufacturer.
    It's a fairly common problem. It appears to be caused by the screen pressing against the digitiser. Some people have had success "massaging" the blob, others have used suction cups. Thread here. It went away on its own for me. It's definitely a manufacturing fault though and I'd say Vodafone are very aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

Thanks, I'll check out that link now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

The remote USSD hack also effects the G300!
    Here is a stopgap fix: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mulliner.telstop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Direct download for the fix .apk file: http://t.co/MlxE5Yuu

Hmm installed ICS OTA, and lost all internet functionality for meteor, even after I re entered the settings, am i missing anything?

Hmm installed ICS OTA, and lost all internet functionality for meteor, even after I re entered the settings, am i missing anything?

Meteor have been having problems lately,but the settings meteor give on their site are actually wrong,http://tech-n-life.com/index.php/2009/12/support-sunday-set-up-android-data-connection-settings-in-ireland-android/

follow that link for the proper settings.

Meteor have been having problems lately,but the settings meteor give on their site are actually wrong,http://tech-n-life.com/index.php/2009/12/support-sunday-set-up-android-data-connection-settings-in-ireland-android/

follow that link for the proper settings.

Legend

Vodafone have reduced it to €130 again it seems:

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones-and-plans/phones/pay-as-you-go

With €20 off for porting another operator's number and €12.50 cashback (eventually!) if you go via www.bethrifty.ie that means you can get it for an effective €97.50 now. Although if you're not sticking with Vodafone you'll probably have to pay another €6 or so to get an unlock code (e.g. via eBay).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

TM wrote: »
    Vodafone have reduced it to €130 again it seems:

I wonder are Vodafone coming to the end of their stock of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Installed B940 to this the other day and got the wifi bug. Going to isntall B934 over it, can I then upgrade to B940 again to get wifi working or should I just leave B934 on it ?
    What's the major differences between B934 and B940 if any ?

I wonder are Vodafone coming to the end of their stock of these?
    I guess it's possible. Anybody know if they or anybody else will be getting the G330 soon and at what sort of price point?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The spot is condensation. It will clear if you leave the phone in a warm room. You will see it gradually reduce in size.

Advertisement