Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

TM wrote: »
    I'm seeing it at €129.99 on their website:

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones-and-plans/phones/pay-as-you-go/phone-details/huawei-ascend-g300

With €20 off for porting another provider's number and €12.50 from BeThrifty that means you should be able to get it for a net €97.49?

WTF!!! Just changed to €149.99? Is anybody seeing it for €129.99? I cleared my cookies etc. just in case it adjusts the price based on other activity on their site...

I got it for £65 in Tesco in the North, supposed to be £80 in store but bought a packet of crisps with it and got £15 off. That's nearly half the price of what vodafone Ireland sells it for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I got it for £65 in Tesco in the North, supposed to be £80 in store but bought a packet of crisps with it and got £15 off. That's nearly half the price of what vodafone Ireland sells it for.

WTF??????? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Amazingfun wrote: »
    What category did you find it in?

I am looking under 'phones and Broadband' and 'mobiles' and am not sure how to find it....? (I am on Bethrifty, just registered.
    I went to PAYG mobiles and filtered by Android and got a it a few times yesterday in work but so far today can't get it from home... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Can you just unlock it (e.g. via ebay or DC Unlocker unlock code) and use it in down here no hassle?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I've been messing about with B936....lovely!....very stable, ICS is a major update from Ginger Bread, tons of features and toys and tweaks.

Btw....all these apps work on the G300: http://www.teamandroid.com/2012/04/29/huawei-apps-android-phone-download/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Wcool

About ICS:

Is there a way to get rid of the Google Search bar which is showing on all 5 panes?? Bit of overkill. If you disable it in Apps, you can't seem to re-use the space that is created.

TM wrote: »
    Can you just unlock it (e.g. via ebay or DC Unlocker unlock code) and use it in down here no hassle?

Yea you can buy an unlock code on ebay for a fiver or if you go into a vodafone store up there you might be lucky enough for them to give you an unlock code.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Same here, popped up and bought one today - £65. I think it's something like spend £20 or £30 in the shop and you get £15 off any phone.

As a side note, this is my first android phone, anyone mind telling me what I should be doing? Can't help but notice how full of vodafone crap it is, so I'll want to be debranding it pretty soon. Don't know much about custom ROMS on phones, so will be lurking on modaco, but my main question is, should I wait until I have the phone unlocked before I mess with the rom?

Kazuma wrote: »
    Same here, popped up and bought one today - £65. I think it's something like spend £20 or £30 in the shop and you get £15 off any phone.

As a side note, this is my first android phone, anyone mind telling me what I should be doing? Can't help but notice how full of vodafone crap it is, so I'll want to be debranding it pretty soon. Don't know much about custom ROMS on phones, so will be lurking on modaco, but my main question is, should I wait until I have the phone unlocked before I mess with the rom?

You can do whatever you want with it, no need to be unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

You can do whatever you want with it, no need to be unlocked.

Next question, what should I do with it? :pac:

Just not sure what the advantages of things are, stock rom or custom, essential programs I should install, that sort of thing. I have used android phones before but I've never owned one, so I don't really know where to start!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Blue Crystal

Can anyone point me towards instructions on installing ICS?

Kazuma wrote: »
    Next question, what should I do with it? :pac:

Just not sure what the advantages of things are, stock rom or custom, essential programs I should install, that sort of thing. I have used android phones before but I've never owned one, so I don't really know where to start!

I'd say put ICS on it, root it and install the apps you need. If you use a lot of free apps with ads get AdAway on the store. Get whatever you find useful I suppose like Facebook/Twitter/Google Googles/Google Chrome/News 360 etc.

Here's a good list of apps: http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/top-200-best-android-apps-2012-693696

http://www.modaco.com/topic/355583-guide-how-to-install-and-root-ics-403-on-the-g300/

Or wait on Vodafone to release theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Have a read here
    http://www.modaco.com/topic/355583-guide-how-to-install-and-root-ics-403-on-the-g300/

There's a new version of Infusion ICS out today. Personally I like it. It's based on B934.
    http://www.modaco.com/topic/355994-rom-infusion-b934-ics-403-updated-to-b070912-no-ota/

You need to install B926 or B927 first of all if it's your first loading of an ICS rom,something to do with a change in the baseband.

Hmm just having a read through there, any advice on not bricking my phone?

Also is google play still accessible?

Hmm just having a read through there, any advice on not bricking my phone?

Also is google play still accessible?

Yep google play is there.
    I had never rooted a phone before this.
    I installed B927 rom & then went to Infusion B934?
    The only advice I would give is to read the instructions carefully & take your time.

jgbyr wrote: »
    Yep google play is there.
    I had never rooted a phone before this.
    I installed B927 rom & then went to Infusion B934?
    The only advice I would give is to read the instructions carefully & take your time.

Hmm might be patient and just wait for the OTA update, any word on it coming anytime soon?

There's a thread om ModaCo which is saying the end of October for ICS but I don't know how true that is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Hey guys, any idea how many tries at unlocking it you get before you hardlock the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭enviro

I like the lineup of Huawei smartphones. Anyone got a link to a site that sells these phones? I was directed to vmall from the manufacturer site but it is difficult to navigate with the Google Chinese to English translation.

I was looking at the 10" tablet device in particular, I've been impressed by the G300 since I got it and would like to get the tablet as well. Works out €270 plus what ever duty/shipping would be charged. Ok value imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

My screen is now damaged after 6 weeks,was in my pocket while driving and now theres a mark with a halo :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Wcool

This is the only major gripe I have with the phone. I could keep my ZTE Blade in my backpocket with no issues. The Ascend got a dent in the LCD screen as if the LCD was sticking to the gorilla glass.
    I managed to rub the dent out but from now on I keep the phone in my breast pocket rather than my back pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I think it's a fairly widespread problem with this phone. It happened to mine, went away by itself, came back and again went away, hopefully it'll stay away this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

So from those that have made the change from B934 to B936, is there any noticeable difference? Only went to B934 this week and fairly satisfied with it as things are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Adyx wrote: »
    I think it's a fairly widespread problem with this phone. It happened to mine, went away by itself, came back and again went away, hopefully it'll stay away this time.

Seems to be...

http://www.modaco.com/topic/353701-intermittent-blob-appearing-inside-the-screen/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭marathonic

Is anyone tempted by this?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HUAWEI-Shine-U8836D-G500-Pro-MTK6577-Dual-Core-4-3-QHD-mobile-phone-Dual-SIM-Daul/613867811.html

I'm living near, and working in, Northern Ireland and, via www.TopCashBack.com, can get a 6-month sim-only contract with Talk Mobile for an effective price of under £2.50 per month.

I ring Northern numbers quite frequently and am looking for a dual-sim phone. Based on my research, the above seems the top of the range for dual-sim.

I'm VERRRY tempted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Adyx wrote: »

same here seems when I charged it it went away

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yugioh

Has happened to me twice in about three weeks. I think it's just pressure on the screen but it goes away every time without problem.

I have a different problem though. I've updated to 934 but the phone is generally quite slow and feels buggy with apps not especially solid or secure.

Has anyone else found there phone to be like this? Any tips to counteract the problem as it can be quite annoying sometimes with basic functions not working sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Mine goes away when I pinch it front and back. One day it took ages to go away though. I think heat/pressure is a factor. As someone said on that other forum, seems to be the LCD and Glass seperating/sticking when in the pocket. Doesn't happen to me otherwise.

• Advertisement

Yugioh wrote: »
    Has happened to me twice in about three weeks. I think it's just pressure on the screen but it goes away every time without problem.

I have a different problem though. I've updated to 934 but the phone is generally quite slow and feels buggy with apps not especially solid or secure.

Has anyone else found there phone to be like this? Any tips to counteract the problem as it can be quite annoying sometimes with basic functions not working sometimes.

Wipe the phone.

Advertisement