Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭newg300

TM and Khannie, thanks.

Modaco is down for me at the minute.

Should I still update the firmware, and then proceed with what Khannie has linked to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

newg300 wrote: »
    TM and Khannie, thanks.

Modaco is down for me at the minute.

Should I still update the firmware, and then proceed with what Khannie has linked to?
    Yes. You'll have to install a stock ICS rom anyway to get the 2030 baseband before you install Infusion. It might as well be the official update as any other.

Cheers, thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Khannie wrote: »
    Read this. Choose the custom rom route. Infusion rom is the I went with and it is very tasty. Well worth the effort. The stock rom is filthy. Horrible waste of good hardware to run it IMO.

(at your own risk etc.)

I take it the phone runs much better on this Infusion rom than the VF ICS one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Technique

Has anyone else noticed the phone more sluggish since the ICS update?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Technique wrote: »

Yes, also the browser force closes fairly often

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just got my unlock code but no instructions. Do you just insert the new sim & enter the code? If so then will it still work if you put the original sim back in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Discodog wrote: »
    Just got my unlock code but no instructions. Do you just insert the new sim & enter the code? If so then will it still work if you put the original sim back in?
    Yes and yes. ;)

Stick a non Vodafone SIM into it and switch it on. It may prompt for the SIM PIN which you enter from the SIM details that you got. Then it should soon after ask for the NAC/network unlock PIN which Vodafone (or ebay? ;)) gave you. Enter this and your phone is then unlocked for use on any network including Vodafone. And the unlock is permanent and unaffected by any messing around you do with custom ROMs etc. Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Yes removing the widgets from the home screens help a lot though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

I don't know why people want to update to ics?

I've tried every rom for this phone don't upgrade,
    imo, it is a waste of time there is no 2d hwa on ics.

Phone runs alot better on ginger bread and now there
    is overclock for it

• Advertisement

0066ad wrote: »
    I don't know why people want to update to ics?

I've tried every rom for this phone don't upgrade,
    imo, it is a waste of time there is no 2d hwa on ics.

Phone runs alot better on ginger bread and now there
    is overclock for it
    There's no UI acceleration on GB either, plus the oc kernals work just as well on ICS. People want ICS because it's better than GB, especially a stock GB. If you think GB is faster then you must have had a bad installation because Infusion B06 is a hell of a lot faster than GB.

Adyx wrote: »
    There's no UI acceleration on GB either, plus the oc kernals work just as well on ICS. People want ICS because it's better than GB, especially a stock GB. If you think GB is faster then you must have had a bad installation because Infusion B06 is a hell of a lot faster than GB.

I've had all the infusions roms on my phone, i've had all the ics roms on my
    phone.The best imo was was favaroo which was just a stripped down
    version off ics.

Why does gb get a higher score on antutu for 2d graphics? Look at huawei
    device uk facebook, nothing but complaints from people giving out about
    the crappy version off ics that they have giving out ota. huawei themselves have even took the version from their website and said it
    shouldn't have been leaked and they still have bugs to fix.

I'm running atomicmod with overclock kernel the phone has never been as
    fast, you should try it and see the difference yourself, you will be quite
    impressed with it i guarantee

Downgrading has never been as simple,no middle package, no iemi number
    hack, it's just a case off getting any b8xx update app, put it into a folder
    called dload and place it on the root off your sd card and then force it
    to downgrade by holding vol +/- while switching your phone off, it only
    takes a couple off minutes :)

I've had all the infusions roms on my phone, i've had all the ics roms on my
    phone.The best imo was was favaroo which was just a stripped down
    version off ics.

Why does gb get a higher score on antutu for 2d graphics? Look at huawei
    device uk facebook, nothing but complaints from people giving out about
    the crappy version off ics that they have giving out ota. huawei themselves have even took the version from their website and said it
    shouldn't have been leaked and they still have bugs to fix.

I'm running atomicmod with overclock kernel the phone has never been as
    fast, you should try it and see the difference yourself, you will be quite
    impressed with it i guarantee

Downgrading has never been as simple,no middle package, no iemi number
    hack, it's just a case off getting any b8xx update app, put it into a folder
    called dload and place it on the root off your sd card and then force it
    to downgrade by holding vol +/- while switching your phone off, it only
    takes a couple off minutes :)
    AnTuTu means nothing. There is no hardware UI acceleration in GB. Why do you think everyone was begging Huawei to include it in ICS? Also it hasn't been released OTA in the UK yet, which is why Huawei took it down. My phone is now faster and has a much better battery life on ICS than it ever did on any GB rom with the added bonus that my rom still has active development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Whats the best program to root this? I have the ICS update I still have this for another while so wouldnt mind rooting it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

TM wrote: »

I followed this the other night & it was easy peasy!!! :)

I've never attempted a root or ROM change before & really don't have a clue but it was so well explained, I managed it with no problems at all!!!:eek:

Delighted with myself!! :D

Think I will give that guide a go myself. Rooting will allow me to remove all the Vodafone stuff, won't it?

newg300 wrote: »
    Think I will give that guide a go myself. Rooting will allow me to remove all the Vodafone stuff, won't it?
    Yes. Root allows you to install a custom ROM which will not have the Vodafone stuff. Just follow the guide(s) linked above. Infusion seems to be a popular ICS ROM at the moment. Going to try it myself soon.

Just to point out, you don't need to install a custom rom if you just want to get rid of the Vodafone bloat. Titanium backup or Rom Toolbox will allow you to uninstall system apps on a rooted phone. Just be careful what you get rid of.

It's easy to get rid of root, getting back to a completely stock rom is harder and custom roms will void your warranty. That said, I really do recommend Infusion myself!

• Advertisement

Good point about a custom ROM not being essential to removing Vodafone stuff.
    getting back to a completely stock rom is harder
    Just curious - why is that? Can you not just do a backup of the stock ROM image (e.g. with ClockworkMod Recovery or whatever ROM manager is normally used here) and keep that in case you need to revert to stock? Is there also something about the IMEI possibly getting erased/zeroized on a downgrade but in that case you backup first and restore if needed? Or are there other issues at play here...?

TM wrote: »
    Good point about a custom ROM not being essential to removing Vodafone stuff.

Just curious - why is that? Can you not just do a backup of the stock ROM image (e.g. with ClockworkMod Recovery or whatever ROM manager is normally used here) and keep that in case you need to revert to stock? Is there also something about the IMEI possibly getting erased/zeroized on a downgrade but in that case you backup first and restore if needed? Or are there other issues at play here...?
    Well I haven't tried it myself so maybe it has gotten easier. There seem to be quite a few threads on Modaco about it but I haven't really read them. I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe the problem was getting the stock recovery back. It was really only an issue for people who needed to return the phone to Vodafone. But then, this was back when pretty much the only rom choice was official or B888. There was a lot of discussion about losing your IMEI alright though and I made sure I made backups!

OK - thanks. Just curious (and still a little bit wary!)... :)

Well the way I see it, the phone is not operating as designed with a stock Vodafone branded rom so that's the warranty out the window already. :P The very idea of having some crap demo game or spammy app on my rom that I can't uninstall without rooting is disgraceful to me. I'd much rather take my chances and void my warranty. I'm fairly comfortable doing repairs like replacing the screen etc. though and I understand why others would want to keep their warranty. At least rooting is completely reversible and it's easy enough to do as well.

OK, I rooted my phine with the above method and all is working. But how do I actually remove the demo games and vodafone stuff?

See Adyx's post earlier about doing this with the stock ROM:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81137784&postcount=711

Or install a custom ROM which will not have the Vodafone "extras"

Thanks again TM

AnTuTu means nothing. There is no hardware UI acceleration in GB. Why do you think everyone was begging Huawei to include it in ICS? Also it hasn't been released OTA in the UK yet, which is why Huawei took it down. My phone is now faster and has a much better battery life on ICS than it ever did on any GB rom with the added bonus that my rom still has active development.

Where did i mention gb has hardware ui? just said it done better on the 2d
    graphics on antutu, and the main advantage you said, is that ics will include hardware ui which it doesn't. so what makes it better?

I've seen your comments that you haven't downgraded yet, for me it
    doesn't matter what rom still has active development as long as the phone
    is still in development i can change roms any time

i would rather have a bug free rom on my phone even if it is gingerbread.

Is anybody else here disappointed after the upgrade to ics??????

Where did i mention gb has hardware ui? just said it done better on the 2d
    graphics on antutu, and the main advantage you said, is that ics will include hardware ui which it doesn't. so what makes it better?

I've seen your comments that you haven't downgraded yet, for me it
    doesn't matter what rom still has active development as long as the phone
    is still in development i can change roms any time

i would rather have a bug free rom on my phone even if it is gingerbread.

Is anybody else here disappointed after the upgrade to ics??????
    I never said ICS would include hardware UI acceleration. Huawei and Vodafone did say that, which is why other people were expecting it. Even at that I also never said it would be the major advantage over GB.

I haven't downgraded yet, nor will I be. Why would I when I already have a very fast, efficient and bug-free rom? The only way is up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Is there any decent Stock ICS Rom out yet ?

Advertisement