Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭J.R.

http://www.teamandroid.com/2012/10/07/update-huawei-ascend-g300-android-40-ics-firmware-official-ota-method/2/

I updated mine today

didn't have to go through all the steps above

just checked for upgrades

backed up files

clicked update

phone did the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

My understanding is that the link that you posted is for updating to the original Huawei stock ROM. What you updated to over the air is presumably the vodafone branded one. Slightly different. But if it works for you or others all well and good - stick with it. Just that some people like to mess around with custom ROMs and the anecdotal reports strongly suggest that they can give better features and performance. Horses for courses... :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭mark_79

Hello folks,

I'm in a bit of trouble. I updated to Android 4.0.3 this morning by way of an official Vodafone notification. Before doing so I emptied everything from my sd card to my PC, updated the OS and then dragged everything back onto the sd card. I restarted the phone but its not recognising any of the data (pics, contacts, emails, apps, etc).

What have I done wrong?

I tried going into settings and hitting restore but the phone tells me no backup data can be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

mark_79 wrote: »
    Hello folks,

I'm in a bit of trouble. I updated to Android 4.0.3 this morning by way of an official Vodafone notification. Before doing so I emptied everything from my sd card to my PC, updated the OS and then dragged everything back onto the sd card. I restarted the phone but its not recognising any of the data (pics, contacts, emails, apps, etc).

What have I done wrong?

I tried going into settings and hitting restore but the phone tells me no backup data can be found.

Go to settings - storage. Make sure sd card is set as default.

Cheers. That's got my personal data back but it looks as if the phone is still refusing to recognise my apps. They are listed at storage/sd card/misc and all I can do is select them to be deleted :(

Will I have to re-download the lot?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure that you can just do a drag and drop backup of apps like this. I think you should have backed them up and restored them with a backup tool such as Titanium Backup. You may well gave to download/install them anew.

Cheers. That's got my personal data back but it looks as if the phone is still refusing to recognise my apps. They are listed at storage/sd card/misc and all I can do is select them to be deleted :(

Will I have to re-download the lot?

You have to download again. I use my backup pro to back up the apps & data. I think only the app data is stored on the card unless you specifically move the lot to the card.

Thought I might have to do that. I only have a 2gb sd card and there wasn't enough room to backup so I thought I'd be clever and just drag & drop.

Obviously not :rolleyes:

Must remember to get myself a new 32gb one.

Cheers.

Edit: Hooray! Just synced my phone to my gmail account which was registered on Google play and they are all listed and ready to re-download. Much handier than having to trawl through the store and download from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I'm trying to choose between the Huawei and this unbranded, oversized model which seems to be getting rave reviews on Amazon;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-tablet-MTK6575-Cortex-standby/dp/B0081FCY46/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349883369&sr=8-2

How do people find the Huawei for internet browsing and video watching generally? Those are the two most important features for me, so I'm undecided on whether to go for the bigger screen or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Columbia wrote: »
    I'm trying to choose between the Huawei and this unbranded, oversized model which seems to be getting rave reviews on Amazon;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-tablet-MTK6575-Cortex-standby/dp/B0081FCY46/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349883369&sr=8-2

How do people find the Huawei for internet browsing and video watching generally? Those are the two most important features for me, so I'm undecided on whether to go for the bigger screen or not.

Do not get that unbranded one! I wasted 200 euro on one,the sound on calls is terrible and viber doesnt work,so if you wanna buy one I have 1 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Got one of these phones on Vodafone and really like it. I am a 3ireland customer and have unlocked the G300 but cant access 3internet through the 3g setting. Do I have to change any setting to do this? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

TM wrote: »

thanks , will try.

first link worked for me. thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Has anyone managed to move apps to the SD card? I installed app2sd but it doesn't work.

Discodog wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to move apps to the SD card? I installed app2sd but it doesn't work.

You need to change the settings from internal SD to external I think.

You need to change the settings from internal SD to external I think.

There is an option in settings to make the sd card the default storage but I wouldn't want to move every app.

Do you mean change the settings on the phone or on the app2sdcard app?

There is an option in settings to make the sd card the default storage but I wouldn't want to move every app.

Do you mean change the settings on the phone or on the app2sdcard app?

the phone

I changed the storage settings on the phone to sd card as default & now app2sd works fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

I bought one of these phones for the other half (her first Android phone) and it's rather nice, and my San Francisco looks positively primitive now.

I haven't rooted or upgraded the ROM yet - but I might do that soon as I think the keyboard in the Vodafone firmware is really cr*p. Or is that standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Tango One

positron wrote: »
    I bought one of these phones for the other half (her first Android phone) and it's rather nice, and my San Francisco looks positively primitive now.

I haven't rooted or upgraded the ROM yet - but I might do that soon as I think the keyboard in the Vodafone firmware is really cr*p. Or is that standard?

Yeah the keyboard is really bad it's the worst I've seen on any android phone. Get SwiftKey its really is a great app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

Tango One wrote: »
    Get SwiftKey its really is a great app

+1 it transforms the experience with the phone... Got it when it was reduced in the play store sale but imo it is still good value at €3.99

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭newg300

Finally got around to sticking Infusion on it, so thanks to whoever posted the step-by-step guide a few pages back. It made the whole thing very easy.

Now, to look into Swiftkey and a few other things to get even more out of it. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Tango One

newg300 wrote: »
    Finally got around to sticking Infusion on it, so thanks to whoever posted the step-by-step guide a few pages back. It made the whole thing very easy.

Now, to look into Swiftkey and a few other things to get even more out of it. Any recommendations?
    How are you finding Infusion so far going to put it on a friends g300, is it worth it.

How is everybody finding ICS? My phone has been a wee bit sluggish since the upgrade, especially web browsing. Noticing plenty of delays of 2 or 3 seconds when opening or closing certain apps too :(

Think I might revert to gingerbread.

How is everybody finding ICS? My phone has been a wee bit sluggish since the upgrade, especially web browsing. Noticing plenty of delays of 2 or 3 seconds when opening or closing certain apps too :(

Think I might revert to gingerbread.

Mine can be a bit slow but it's loaded to the hilt with apps, live wallpaper & large widgets. I think that it performs pretty well. I certainly wouldn't be switching back.

I think that some of the apparent lag is depends on how apps are closed. I have also noticed that widgets will sometimes refresh when certain apps are closed.

Given that it's a €100 phone I am very pleased with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭newg300

Tango One wrote: »
    How are you finding Infusion so far going to put it on a friends g300, is it worth it.

I have found it to be an improvement.

Haven't noticed the sluggishness others have, but I'm not running any widgets and only a few apps as I haven't had time to find widgets that suit.

I see an update to B08 is available now, anyone done it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

newg300 wrote: »
    I have found it to be an improvement.

Haven't noticed the sluggishness others have, but I'm not running any widgets and only a few apps as I haven't had time to find widgets that suit.

I see an update to B08 is available now, anyone done it yet?
    Yep just installed it last night. I did find the homescreens to be slightly sluggish on B07 and I only use 2 homescreens and 2 widgets. I'm glad to say B08 is so far much better. Battery life seems much the same. The default storage issue seems to be fixed - one thing to watch out for is your SD card card will be labelled Internal whereas the actual internal 2.05GB storage will now be labelled SD Card.

He's also done something to I presume the build.prop because a lot more games and apps are available in the Play Store that were previously marked as incompatible. Mini Motor Racing is also working properly again for me since it was broken on ICS. GTA 3 is still listed as incompatible though despite the fact that it actually works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Adyx wrote: »
    Yep just installed it last night. I did find the homescreens to be slightly sluggish on B07 and I only use 2 homescreens and 2 widgets. I'm glad to say B08 is so far much better. Battery life seems much the same. The default storage issue seems to be fixed - one thing to watch out for is your SD card card will be labelled Internal whereas the actual internal 2.05GB storage will now be labelled SD Card.

He's also done something to I presume the build.prop because a lot more games and apps are available in the Play Store that were previously marked as incompatible. Mini Motor Racing is also working properly again for me since it was broken on ICS. GTA 3 is still listed as incompatible though despite the fact that it actually works fine.

I keep getting an error when I try to download...

"Invalid ROM (InfusG300) & device (hwu8815) combo!"

Anyone know what's wrong?
    ROM is currently Infusion B07 & Device is hwu8815

OTA Updater ID is InfusG300

Thanks!

keredern wrote: »
    I keep getting an error when I try to download...

"Invalid ROM (InfusG300) & device (hwu8815) combo!"

Anyone know what's wrong?
    ROM is currently Infusion B07 & Device is hwu8815

OTA Updater ID is InfusG300

Thanks!

It's not available ota. Download it from the first page of the thread. Future versions can be downloaded ota.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

B08 is available OTA if you're currently on B07. It worked fine for me.

keredern, check to make sure your SD card is set as default instead of internal storage. Other than that I don't know. InfusG300 sounds right but I can't remember what my device was listed as. If that doesn't work, you could just download and flash it manually as jgbyr said. Even using the OTA method all the usual wipes are necessary so you'd have to backup your apps and data anyway.

Advertisement