Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭LowOdour

The U8815_Vodafone_b893 firmware update got pushed to my phone today. Anybody else get this and install it? Have stopped it for now myself, wondering if anyone has had any issues with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've had that for a few weeks I haven't noticed any issues or changes for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nucleardublin

when is the ics update due for this anyone?

Update from Huawei is that ICS is due to be rolled out this Friday. There is a small update to B895 to install a Backup APP and then you can update to ICS version B936.

Due to the size of he file you need a 4GB SD card with at least 2GB free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,669 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

LowOdour wrote: »
    The U8815_Vodafone_b893 firmware update got pushed to my phone today. Anybody else get this and install it? Have stopped it for now myself, wondering if anyone has had any issues with it

The b893 was put on my phone during a vodafone in-house repair due to the phone sometimes resetting itself to factory (quite an annoying bug actually)

Anyway to cut a long story short it HAS solved the problem (it hasn't reset since I got it back 2 weeks ago whereas before it was happening 3 times weekly)

However some noticeable changes

- Battery life has decreased to less than a day on a full charge with minimal use
    - The phone does not read battery level correctly (it went from from 40% to 4% and back up to 12% back to 39% there a few days ago)
    - Touch screen seems less sensitive
    - Slow movement across using in-phone menu almost as if the processor is underclocked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

great Price, especially since Voda are charging 149 E here, rip off Ireland, at it's best

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

k123456 wrote: »
    great Price, especially since Voda are charging 149 E here, rip off Ireland, at it's best

It's especially bad that Vodafone increased the price even before ics is available.

Vodafone UK I think have a official ICS update out. Anyone confirm that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

BostonB wrote: »
    Vodafone UK I think have a official ICS update out. Anyone confirm that?

Saw this on Modaco

http://www.modaco.com/topic/357489-official-ics-england/page__st__180

"Looks like huawei have made a cock up or something is going on.
    The ICS rom has been pulled from their site and a guy over on facebook got this reply from huawei"

"Hi. Just to clarify Huawei UK's position on G 300 / ICS, following a number of comments today, both here and on other forums. The Android software updates recently posted on a Huawei website were not final versions of software for the G 300, and were not intended to be made available. They have been removed. An official ICS upgrade for G 300 customers in the UK is still being tested by Huawei and Vodafone UK. We are working with Vodafone UK to release the correct update as soon as possible. We will notify you of its availability here, as soon as we can. Thanks for your patience."

Ouch someone had a bad day there!

• Advertisement

This suggests the official update is today. I've not looked for it yet, I don't have a VF sim in my phone at the moment.

http://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/12812-ascend-g300-owners-whos-got-ics/page__view__findpost__p__67582

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

ICS has arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Discodog wrote: »
    ICS has arrived
    Pfft, I've had ICS on mine for months. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Adyx wrote: »
    Pfft, I've had ICS on mine for months. :pac:

I'm using that Russian B940 ROM....works great!

Whats new on B940?

The official VF rom is an upgrade to B895 then B936_F becomes available. 386mb download.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Whats new on B940?

The official VF rom is an upgrade to B895 then B936_F becomes available. 386mb download.

Yeah, takes about an hour, all in...loving it!!:)

Had to remove SIM & reboot afterwards as phone had no signal & wouldn't take or make calls, though??

All fine now though!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

downloaded the ics update and i cant find any of my apps, do i have to download them all again? any help appreciated thanks

wilser wrote: »
    downloaded the ics update and i cant find any of my apps, do i have to download them all again? any help appreciated thanks

Did you select the app back up option when upgrading?

If so, just go into your apps & run the restore function in 'All Backup'.

Mine automatically downloaded after I updated, though! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

keredern wrote: »

yes selected all back up ,but the apps and also my messages and call logs arent there

I didn't bother with the backup. Though I probably should have as l forgot a few things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I updated this last night and used the back up, worked great! Really liking ICS so far, some handy features. Anyone know if it's possible to create folders on the App Drawer? I can't work out how to do it!

The stock keyboard prediction seems dire. I've been using swift key trial. What are others using? This ICS update seems a little bit slower in some areas than the 2.3.6. Did people with rooted phones find the later than B936 roms faster? Or did debranding help aswell?

wilser wrote: »
    keredern wrote: »

yes selected all back up ,but the apps and also my messages and call logs arent there

I'm sorry, I've no idea how to help! :(

The 'All backup' worked flawlessly for me.

If you have an earlier backup on you computer, perhaps you could resort to this?

Are you certain the restore function isn't available when you access 'All backup'?

Give it another try, it may appear mysteriously!

Good luck! :)

The stock keyboard prediction seems dire. I've been using swift key trial. What are others using? This ICS update seems a little bit slower in some areas than the 2.3.6. Did people with rooted phones find the later than B936 roms faster? Or did debranding help aswell?

Definitely agree...slower accessing & managing emails for one. :(

Pity...

I've been using SwiftKey exclusively on this and my previous phone. It seems to often be on sale but it's well worth the full price I paid.

I have the Infusion B05 rom on my phone. It's based on the B934 rom which was leaked weeks ago. I've had no performance issues at all. It's very fast with great battery life. It's been a while since I had a VF branded rom but I don't remember there being that much bloat anyway was there? To be honest VF and Huawei are a joke at this stage and I'm glad I didn't wait for them to release this. If you're prepared to accept the consequences regarding your warranty, then a custom rom is definitely the way to go.

If not, then a 3rd party launcher like Apex or Nova might be a bit speedier.

I've been using SwiftKey exclusively on this and my previous phone. It seems to often be on sale but it's well worth the full price I paid.

I have the Infusion B05 rom on my phone. It's based on the B934 rom which was leaked weeks ago. I've had no performance issues at all. It's very fast with great battery life. It's been a while since I had a VF branded rom but I don't remember there being that much bloat anyway was there? To be honest VF and Huawei are a joke at this stage and I'm glad I didn't wait for them to release this. If you're prepared to accept the consequences regarding your warranty, then a custom rom is definitely the way to go.

If not, then a 3rd party launcher like Apex or Nova might be a bit speedier.

Was it the b936 zip that you used. I have infusion b5 also but originally I had b927. I think for it to run smoothly I need 936 but don't know which version. Thanks

jgbyr wrote: »
    Was it the b936 zip that you used. I have infusion b5 also but originally I had b927. I think for it to run smoothly I need 936 but don't know which version. Thanks
    No I went from B926 to Infusion and then just installed the various Infusion updates as they appeared. I seem to be one of the lucky ones who hasn't had any problems.

If you're having problems, might be no harm to try installing a stock rom first using the update.app method rather than the zip. You can get the update.app for B936 here under the Full Update heading. I don't think there's any difference between this and the Vodafone branded B936 apart from the VF bloat. You will have to unlock your bootloader again and re-install CWM and re-root though.

No I went from B926 to Infusion and then just installed the various Infusion updates as they appeared. I seem to be one of the lucky ones who hasn't had any problems.

If you're having problems, might be no harm to try installing a stock rom first using the update.app method rather than the zip. You can get the update.app for B936 here under the Full Update heading. I don't think there's any difference between this and the Vodafone branded B936 apart from the VF bloat. You will have to unlock your bootloader again and re-install CWM and re-root though.

Thanks. Will have a look at that. B927 was stock but I'm having a few small issues. Will have a look at the link you gave & decide if it's worth the hassle.
    Thanks again.

What issues are you having? There might be an easier fix.

• Advertisement

Im definitely finding the official ics update a lot slower

Advertisement