Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kahn -v- Garcia - 14th July **spoilers inside**

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Kirby wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about mental strength in the way you mean it. You are talking about "heart" and determination and having the will to get back up etc. etc. and how all the will in the world doesn't matter if he gets caught clean.

I am not talking about that. I'm talking about having the intelligence to realise what you did wrong. Outside of the ring. He will either be told by roach or realise himself that if he wants to be a top fighter he needs to stop pandering to the masses and looking for flashy shots and play "boring" keep away for 12 rounds. He can win if he does that. And I think this is the fight that might finally make him realise that.

Precisely. He's not going to become a defensive technician ala mayweather, but if he cops on by actually listening to Roach, i'm confident he'll come back to win another world title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I see Khan is back to doing what he does best again which is talking nonsense.

I don't know where he goes from here, i can't see Garcia giving him a rematch as i can see Garcia wanting to move on to bigger and better things. A lot of fights will open up for him now.

Khan will always fall short, he's an inherently flawed fighter.

He insists on getting dragged into tear ups with other boxers when he doesn't have the ability.

He has no chin.

He's deluded.

These are things that have been there since day one and these are things that will never change at this stage. I think he'll defiantly fight again but he can put any aspirations of superstardom behind him as he just doesn't have the tools. At this stage he's been well and truly found out, and by mediocre opposition at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,705 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I
    . At this stage he's been well and truly found out, and by mediocre opposition at that.

I don't think Garcia is anything great, but he is not a mediocre fighter He is a champ at 140 lbs. Khan has met the top rated men. They may not be as good as past champs, but they are still the best we have today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I would echo that sentiment. In today's era of extreme protection of fighters and their records, you have divisions where the cream doesn't always rise to the top. Garcia isn't exactly a brilliant fighter but you can only beat whats put in front of you.

Khan's next fight will tell the story really. If he makes the same old mistakes than his career will end up going down the tube. If he learns from them and goes back to the in-out style that he is good at, he can recover and win another world title.

Time will tell.

I'd like to see Khan maybe try get JMM or The Ghost, Robert Guerrero. JMM being such a big name, and Guerrero being known and a top rated fighter. Khan can beat both. JMM doesn't have the size, youth or punch to beat Khan. Guerrerro may be a little too small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

walshb wrote: »
    I'd like to see Khan maybe try get JMM or The Ghost, Robert Guerrero. JMM being such a big name, and Guerrero being known and a top rated fighter. Khan can beat both. JMM doesn't have the size, youth or punch to beat Khan. Guerrerro may be a little too small.

MY GUESS WOULD BE a 5-6 month break for khan, then an easy enough fight at welterweight and in 12 months if our friend pauli is still champ, another easy title for khan,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

was it not the thinking of many that Garcia would not have the punch.

was it not the thinking of many that Garcia would not have the punch.

No. I think he was known to have fairly heavy hands. Put it this way, I would say Khan's chances of being knocked out vs. JMM would be less. Juan is not an aggressive and heavy hitter. The shot that dropped Khan in rd 3 was bang on the money, heavy, and in an odd place. Possibly deadened a nerve in his neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

After a defeat as bad as this one, I think Khan would be wise to stay away from an opponent of such class as JMM.

If he loses his next fight there will be massive,massive pressure on him. I wouldn't be surprised to see a very beatable opponent picked for him, but then again people were saying that about Garcia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

If Khan loses his next fight, his career is screwed..

Cant ever see him getting a superfight now (Mayweather, Pacquiao etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Khan & Haye will be on Ringside at 6 on SS2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

No. I think he was known to have fairly heavy hands. Put it this way, I would say Khan's chances of being knocked out vs. JMM would be less. Juan is not an aggressive and heavy hitter. The shot that dropped Khan in rd 3 was bang on the money, heavy, and in an odd place. Possibly deadened a nerve in his neck.

Garcia is an average hitter, certainly not a big puncher.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

And really, Get him back in with Bredis prescott to avenge his defeat, this would sell and would be a legite match up, they probably won't take it though due to Prescotts power.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Prescotts power.

More Khan's chin!:)

cowzerp wrote: »
    Garcia is an average hitter, certainly not a big puncher.

Yes, I wouldn't be ready to say that Garcia was some real heavy hitter. Good hitter. Heavy enough hands.

Prescott would jump at the chance of a Khan rematch imo, purely for the payday if nothing else as he's little more than a journeyman these days.

Would Khan be up for it though? For some reason, I doubt it.

I see Garcia now has a rematch with Morales in October, don't see much point in this really but guess this means no rematch with Garcia for Khan, at least not until 2013 anyway.(That is, if Khan even wants one.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

I see Garcia now has a rematch with Morales in October, don't see much point in this really but guess this means no rematch with Garcia for Khan, at least not until 2013 anyway.(That is, if Khan even wants one.)

Khan doesn't deserve a rematch. He got KTFO; it's not like he lost a close decision. If Khan beat Garcia he wouldn't have given him a rematch.

But yes, the Morales rematch is pointless. I feel like De La Hoya is using Morales.

Advertisement