Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kahn -v- Garcia - 14th July **spoilers inside**

Options
  • 23-05-2012 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Surprised there's no thread on this already. Should be a good fight. I know Kahn isn't very well regarded in these here parts but his fights are usually entertaining. I've thoroughly enjoyed his last two (Peterson & Maidana).

Garcia is the WBC champion, and the only way he is clear to fight Kahn is if the fight is some kind of unification bout - so Kahn has to get the one or both of the belts back from the (very dodgy) Peterson fight, or Kahn v Garcia can't happen.
    "If he [Khan] doesn't get his belts back, we can't fight. A unification bout is the only fight that can not let me fight my mandatory."

If you say nothing else about Kahn, at least he goes after the best fighters in his weight devision.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭duagre

Yeah as a sub fight, this is a really good one. Garcia isn't much of a puncher, despite his decent KO ratio, he's not stopped any of his better opponents. He relies more on his hand speed and elusiveness. To beat Khan, you really need the power to get him rattled. I reckon Amir will prove a skill level above him and win wide or maybe even force a stoppage late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

It's an interesting fight for sure, despite my annoyance with the petulant side of Khan, dude is fighting guys of worth.

This fight hinges on whether he can get the titles back off of Peterson because they won't sanction it unless it's a unification. So nothing sorted yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

It should be a good fight but it is one where Khan should win comfortably enough on points. It is good promoting putting them together because if Khan wins and Garcia is very competitive then both fighters reputaton would be enhanced.
    If Khan dominates then he would be back on the road to being a great fighter.
    If Garcia causes an upset it would be the making of him as a top level fighter. He hasn't really lived up to the hype so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

[QUOTE=Frankie Lee;78856369
    If Khan dominates then he would be back on the road to being a great fighter.
    [/QUOTE]

I don't agree with that at all. Khan is in his prime years now. Pacman and Mayweather are whom I would classify as great fighters, three or four years past their prime , and they would beat Khan in their sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

sxt wrote: »
    I don't agree with that at all. Khan is in his prime years now. Pacman and Mayweather are whom I would classify as great fighters, three or four years past their prime , and they would beat Khan in their sleep

I didn't actually mean to say that Khan will be considered a great fighter but meant that a good win against Garcia would help him be marketed as one. Personally I think he will lose again especially when he moves up to 147 and faces someone like Devon Alexander or Bradley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

sxt wrote: »

Khan hardly in his prime, he'll probably campaign at 147 for a large duration of his career, and he's hasn't even had a fight yet. He's still got a lot to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,705 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Khan will win this comfortably I think. Garcia isn't up to much as regards being a real threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

Nobody else looking forward to this? Should be a good fight.

Kahn has got the WBA belt back, not sure where the IBF are with regard to investigation into the Peterson fight after he admitted taking drugs, but if Kahn wins, he will have held three of the four major belts at 140. Bradley is ducking, according to Kahn so he wants to move up to 147 if he wins.

Could be counting his chickens a bit early!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

I'm looking forward to it tonight, the build-up shows on sky have been good.

Danny Garcia's old man is a character!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Thank God its on sky sports. Sick of crappy streams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

Khan annoys me with his talk of fighting Mayweather, he's been at it again before this fight.
    Really shouldn't be talking about future opponents before he's even put Garcia away. Did it before the Peterson fight and that didn't exactly turn out well.

That being said, I do hope he wins and moves up to welterweight.

Who's staying up girls? 4am I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Yep, I'll be staying up. 4am is the time Khan has posted on Twitter anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

ya ill be watching it, alarm on for 3am, dont think ill be on the laptop, ill be in a semi coma for awhile,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Record on Sky-will watch tomorrow, Hopefully it's a good scrap.

Remember not to put spoilers in Thread titles etc after the fight..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I reckon Khan's got an easy nights work ahead of him here, his footspeed, handspeed and ability to put shots together in combination will leave Garcia Bedazzled. Garcia's slim hope of victory comes from landing a big counter similar to the one he caught Morales with (when Morales was well on top and landing at will), but that really would surprise me.

Hoping for a good performance from Jamie Kavanagh on the undercard.

Big Ears wrote: »
    I reckon Khan's got an easy nights work ahead of him here, his footspeed, handspeed and ability to put shots together in combination will leave Garcia Bedazzled. Garcia's slim hope of victory comes from landing a big counter similar to the one he caught Morales with (when Morales was well on top and landing at will), but that really would surprise me.

Hoping for a good performance from Jamie Kavanagh on the undercard.

I hate to slate Irish fighters but Kavanagh has nowhere near enough talent to achieve anything. He will never surpass journeyman status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

What time does this go live?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I hate to slate Irish fighters but Kavanagh has nowhere near enough talent to achieve anything. He will never surpass journeyman status.

I've missed Kavanagh's fight
    He won 80-72 on all cards
    but will watch it later. I'm not expecting Kavanagh to get to World level or even fringe World level in truth, but he seems a nice chap and I like the way he goes about his business in both his training and during his fights, so I'm hoping for him to become as good as he can be.

He really, really lacks power, which is a serious problem, that combined with his defence being somewhat leaky at times is a serious problem. But I think with a bit more schooling, a return back home to this side of the Atlantic could prove useful in the future if the Irish boxing scene was to pick back up again. I'm not sure how up for that he'd be though considering he's lived a very different lifestyle from that in Ireland from the age of 12 (well I assume from having lived in Spain).

With good match making and some development I think he could reach European level. But that won't be much use if he stays in America and ends up in wars with teak tough journeymen on under-cards who shorten careers and inflict cuts on nice pale skinned lads like ourselves from Ireland.

Big Ears wrote: »
    I've missed Kavanagh's fight
    He won 80-72 on all cards
    but will watch it later. I'm not expecting Kavanagh to get to World level or even fringe World level in truth, but he seems a nice chap and I like the way he goes about his business in both his training and during his fights, so I'm hoping for him to become as good as he can be.

He really, really lacks power, which is a serious problem, that combined with his defence being somewhat leaky at times is a serious problem. But I think with a bit more schooling, a return back home to this side of the Atlantic could prove useful in the future if the Irish boxing scene was to pick back up again. I'm not sure how up for that he'd be though considering he's lived a very different lifestyle from that in Ireland from the age of 12 (well I assume from having lived in Spain).

With good match making and some development I think he could reach European level. But that won't be much use if he stays in America and ends up in wars with teak tough journeymen on under-cards who shorten careers and inflict cuts on nice pale skinned lads like ourselves from Ireland.

Agreed mostly, but you can't teach power and he doesn't have enough to hurt anyone with even half a chin, nor the boxing skills to beat anyone with half an idea of how to box. You can only teach so much, but good luck to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Kento

Anyone have any legal links to see this? ;)

Khan can never complain about anything ever again for that to be let go. He was completely out of it and couldn't even raise his gloves. From a moral point of view I feel bad to be watching this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Wow. What a punch. Khan is out of it.

It's ****in barbaric to let this go on.

He's actually punched himself out.

About bloody time it's stopped. The referee and Khan's corner should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Booom! Laters, Amir.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Walsh, Still rate Khan so high?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Devastating loss for him.

• Advertisement

lol

Advertisement