Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kahn -v- Garcia - 14th July **spoilers inside**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

I'll sleep like a baby tonight and wake up refreshed tomorrow, looking forward to a new day of enjoying the freshly shattered jaw of a Sky Sports hypejob, that most detestable breed. Always hated Khan and his arrogant, deluded notions.

Sleep tight gentlemen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Khan wasnt getting out fast enough, and didnt stick to the gameplan which freddie roach said was short straight combos and get out... Khan fought poorly, even in the opening rounds he was a whisker away from getting caught on so many exchanges leaving himself planted forward. Frustrating because he could beat garcia if he only had a brain.

Also as the sky guys were saying, the footage of khans camp looked questionable.. the absence of roach and a tear up sparring session where hes repeatedly getting clipped, and his stand in trainer communicating ineffectively through the s&c guy.. the whole thing just seemed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,004 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I will watch the fight later. I saw Garcia only once, against a blown up and ancient Morales. Garcia didn't look great, and I figured that if Morales can go 12 and be competitive, then Khan should have too much speed and youth.

Khan's punch resistance seemd to have improved. I mean, he took some good whacks vs. Maidana and LP and survived and fought back. Is Garcia a very heavy hitter?

Either way, as we all knew, Khan isn't a fighter. He has not got the natura PRO instincts, and this is every bit as detrimental to him as his chin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

walshb wrote: »
    I will watch the fight later. I saw Garcia only once, against a blown up and ancient Morales. Garcia didn't look great, and I figured that if Morales can go 12 and be competitive, then Khan should have too much speed and youth.

Khan's punch resistance seemd to have improved. I mean, he took some good whacks vs. Maidana and LP and survived and fought back. Is Garcia a very heavy hitter?

Either way, as we all knew, Khan isn't a fighter. He has not got the natura PRO instincts, and this is every bit as detrimental to him as his chin.

why did you come to the thread?

efb wrote: »
    why did you come to the thread?

?

I assume you mean that I have spoiled the result for myself?

Yeah, I was going to leave it but couldn't resist. Same with the Haye fight. Haven't seen it. Both fights recorded, not seen yet, and I know the results!

• Advertisement

?

I assume you mean that I have spoiled the result for myself?

Yeah, I was going to leave it but couldn't resist. Same with the Hasye fight. Haven't seen it. Both fights recorded, not seen yet, and I know the results!

yes, I meant for yourself.

Im the same though, I'll often check to see if the fight was any good before committing to watching it.

yes, I meant for yourself.

Im the same though, I'll often check to see if the fight was any good before committing to watching it.

But in my case I have both recorded. So I don't have to go searching for the fights. I tried. Just decided I had to know the results. Ah well. I can still enjoy both.

But in my case I have both recorded. So I don't have to go searching for the fights. I tried. Just decided I had to know the results. Ah well. I can still enjoy both.

yeah, I've a few fights on the sky plus that have never been watched due to the post fight reviews!

yeah, I've a few fights on the sky plus that have never been watched due to the post fight reviews!

Yeah, but Khan fights I will always watch. The Haye-Chisora affair I will watch too, regardless of reviews etc. I still have to watch the Kell Brook fight from two weeks ago. A hell of a scrap from all reports, and yet very little mentioned on the forum about it.

Yeah, but Khan fights I will always watch. The Haye-Chisora affair I will watch too, regardless of reviews etc. I still have to watch the Kell Brook fight from two weeks ago. A hell iof a scrap from all reports, and yet very little mentioned on the forum about it.

yeah I heard that too, prob still on sky anytime!

http://go.sky.com/vod/content/SKYSPORTS/Browse_by_Genre/Boxing/content/videoId/3af66d1859c58310VgnVCM1000000b43150a________/l/l/content/774/videoDetailsPage.do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Khan's legs were completely gone after the first knockdown, he was doing the same short circuit dance we've seen before. Soon as that happened it was only a matter of time, he should have been on his bike the entire 4th round but he stood directly in front of Garcia for portions of the round. Only one outcome, there can be no dispute of the stoppage, to fight on would have been dangerous and lead to a full *seeing stars and green clovers* knockout.

It does serve Khan right for taking his opponent too lightly, not the first time he's been calling out the Mayweathers and Bradly's of this world, at a higher division than what he fights in. All before he has dealt with the fighter in front of him. If he can't deal with the power of the likes of Prescott and Garcia at these weights, how is he going to deal with fighters who weigh alot more than 147 on fight night? The simple answer is he wouldn't, concussive knockouts would be what he has to look forward to.

No sympathy however, I have Khan down as a very stupid person, outside of the ring, but also in the way he fights, does himself no favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

I like Khan's fights, his flaw of punch resistence makes for unpredictible fights. Can never understand how knowlegeble boxing fans hate Khan because of his "hype" or "talking himself up" when this is very much a part of boxing...

Khan is young enough to go on however the way in which he seems unable to take heavy punches would make me worry about his long term health...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

I was at the fight, and fair play to the ref he could (maybe even should) have stopped the fight a lot sooner. And credit to Khan for going back for more punishment when he knew the game was up. I genuinely thought he'd stopped at the end of the third but was glad to see more
    of the same in the 4th. Good fight

john47832 wrote: »
    I like Khan's fights, his flaw of punch resistence makes for unpredictible fights. Can never understand how knowlegeble boxing fans hate Khan because of his "hype" or "talking himself up" when this is very much a part of boxing...

Khan is young enough to go on however the way in which he seems unable to take heavy punches would make me worry about his long term health...

I don't understand the hate either. He'c confident, ambitious, and yes, cocky, that is boxing and boxers a lot of the time.

As for him: Has a lot of talent, but lacks the innate fundamentals and clamness and poise needed for real tough pro boxing. Then the chin just is not sturdy enough to withstand solid shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Tha marketing lads have some job on their hands to promote Khans next fight!

Yeah, but Khan fights I will always watch. The Haye-Chisora affair I will watch too, regardless of reviews etc. I still have to watch the Kell Brook fight from two weeks ago. A hell of a scrap from all reports, and yet very little mentioned on the forum about it.

Just watched the fight- cheers for the heads up- I think the old man was watching it- a fight he'd have really enjoyed.

Lads, if you have Sky Digital, with a sports sub- get on that link and watch that fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭corny

Khan made Garcia look very ordinary early but he'll always, and i mean always, be vulnerable to a fighter with power. Shame because he's a nice fighter to watch.

He should patent that wobble he goes into when caught!

Just watched the fight- cheers for the heads up- I think the old man was watching it- a fight he'd have really enjoyed.

Lads, if you have Sky Digital, with a sports sub- get on that link and watch that fight!

Now I really need to see it. I put aside Tuesday to watch it. Think I'll get to it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

corny wrote: »
    Khan made Garcia look very ordinary early but he'll always, and i mean always, be vulnerable to a fighter with power. Shame because he's a nice fighter to watch.

He should patent that wobble he goes into when caught!

but what i read on here before the fight is that Garcia has no power and it will be an easy win for Khan, if this is the case Khans days boxing at the top level is over,

especially after reading the first page on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Just watched the khan fight, after the first knockdown he basically fought the rest of the fight knocked out on his feet, that's the last time khan will make big news if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Khan Vs Ortiz next maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Tough call for Khan now, who does he fight next? He badly needs a win now if he is to continue in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Anyone watch this with the HBO commentary? I know people were saying Sky weren't great, Khan is one of their hype jobs, but I can't say the standard across the water is very good, I've been unimpressed with the last few HBO fights I've watched for bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

I think just got a bit reckless last night. He mistook Garcia's inactivity for submission and kept trying to pour it on, despite his inability to hurt Garcia with some shots that landed flush. He really should have tidied it up a bit but he didn't and left one too many openings.

A shame in a way because he looked very sharp and strong early on, not that I felt too sorry for him admittedly. Long way back for him now. No big payday with Floyd on the horizon that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭soap1978

Kahn needs to leave roach and maybe get someone like mayweathers father to coach him,look at mayweathers defence,also does anyone think the body punches where hurting kahn and u started to drop his hands in the 3rd round.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I find it puzzling how Garcia was able to do what Maidana wasn't. I didn't think Garcia was that big of a puncher. I kind of feel sorry for Khan to be honest. He was in line to face Mayweather, now he has to start again.

I find it puzzling how Garcia was able to do what Maidana wasn't. I didn't think Garcia was that big of a puncher. I kind of feel sorry for Khan to be honest. He was in line to face Mayweather, now he has to start again.

Without having seen the fight maybe Garcia's shots were crisper and cleaner. Maidana's shots are crude, telegraphed and wider. Plus, Khan was hanging on for dear life vs. Maidana too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Brook was exposed as the latest in a long line of Sky Sports hypejobs. No skills, no defence, no power. Your buddy Khan would take care of him easily. Could be something for Khan down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Kahn

58722.jpg

Khan

khan2_2277210b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭corny

Without having seen the fight maybe Garcia's shots were crisper and cleaner. Maidana's shots are crude, telegraphed and wider. Plus, Khan was hanging on for dear life vs. Maidana too.

They weren't really. For me he got really lucky. Khan should have realised that fella was on the slippery slope to being stopped. Khans shots didn't stagger him or anything but you could see he was becoming more and more reckless (desperate) with the wild swings. He swung a few times in the third and was nowhere near the target. Unfortunately for Khan the one that got through he just didn't see coming and like you alluded to they're the shots that really wobble him.

Last night exposed the two of them for me.

Advertisement