Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kahn -v- Garcia - 14th July **spoilers inside**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

no excuses from that one. Caught cold and didn't get to recover. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,948 ✭✭✭✭CSF

All this talk of Khan's career being over is ridiculous. At 25, for a fighter of his obvious natural ability, he'll bounce back from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

About bloody time it's stopped. The referee and Khan's corner should be ashamed of themselves.

I don't think you could be too hard on the ref. That blow came very late in the third.

The ref gave Kahn the chance to get it together, and when he saw that he wasn't coming back from it he stopped it. Good reffing, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

Khan's career is now over, nowhere to go from here at his age. That fight should have been called by the ref in the third. Shameful referee decision and the corner too.

CSF wrote: »
    All this talk of Khan's career being over is ridiculous. At 25, for a fighter of his obvious natural ability, he'll bounce back from this.

But how far has he been set back? A year or two? 147 pounds will never happen for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

I Hate to say I told you so (clearly I don't)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71736575&postcount=461

Also, once a chin is exposed there's no going back.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68516074&postcount=3

nummnutts wrote: »
    I don't think you could be too hard on the ref. That blow came very late in the third.

The ref gave Kahn the chance to get it together, and when he saw that he wasn't coming back from it he stopped it. Good reffing, imo.

He gave him a few chances that shouldn't have been given. Khan could barely raise his hands twice and was sent in. On the second last one he was adjusting his belt when the ref gave them the all clear because he thought that's what the ref was asking for when he was getting him to raise his gloves. He was done and if the referee couldn't see it his corner should've.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭soap1978

I thought sky commentators where very poor at calling the fight.

He gave him a few chances that shouldn't have been given. Khan could barely raise his hands twice and was sent in. On the second last one he was adjusting his belt when the ref gave them the all clear because he thought that's what the ref was asking for when he was getting him to raise his gloves. He was done and if the referee couldn't see it his corner should've.

Exactly, Khan did not know where he was at the end of the second. Corner should have called it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Amir's major achievement was winning those titles, he was never gonna be retaining em for long tbh - with the added factor that is the litmus latino test. theyre tough, can't be brawling w/ those guys

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »

His career isn't over but he will never achieve anything decent. His confidence is destroyed, moving up to 147 is pointless, they are two heavy handed. I knew Khan was in trouble early on because his shots were just falling on Garcia's gloves and couldn't drive through, ie just a natural size difference in the bones. Garcia was 150 on the night.

Khan's problem is that he has inherent flaws which are near impossible to overcome at this stage.

BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA! Should it have been stopped? Good lad Amir, last bit of respect blown there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

These US TV interviews were stupid. Talking to a guy who was beaten, he was giving credit to Garcia and the interviewer kept at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Predictable.

A big puncher will always trouble Khan and Garcia is a heavy puncher.

Khan started fast which was expected but none of his punches were hurting Garcia and i always felt Garcia had the power to hurt him, after that first KO it was always going to be over soon.

Khan is over hyped and lives in a dream world, he talked of a Mayweather fight before this for god's sake which is simply insane. I don't no where he goes from here to be honest, he wont ever be a world beater, but at 25 he will fight again but will constantly get found out imo.

The Sky lads seemed to think Garcia was doing badly while he was doing the canny and sneaky stuff and blocking up.

As limited as Khan is, his style would be awkward for Mayweather.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,948 ✭✭✭✭CSF

But how far has he been set back? A year or two? 147 pounds will never happen for him
    Probably not as far as someone less high-profile as him might suffer. 2 decent wins against decent opponents and you'll hear that talk of Mayweather approaching again, assuming Mayweather sticks with it long enough.

Whether Khan mentally has it to get it back together is another thing though, he seems to do really stupid things.

The Sky lads seemed to think Garcia was doing badly while he was doing the canny and sneaky stuff and blocking up.

It's been a long time since I listened to them about anything. 100% clueless. Don't get me started. HBO is the only channel I don't mute.

Forgot about that knockdown the referee gave when Khan didn't even make it to the ground.

It's been a long time since I listened to them about anything. 100% clueless. Don't get me started. HBO is the only channel I don't mute.

"He's losing control now" I think they said at the end of the 2nd. He was taking half-punches while bodyshotting and lowblowing and throwing the odd hopeful bomb.

• Advertisement

"He's losing control now" I think they said at the end of the 2nd. He was taking half-punches while bodyshotting and lowblowing and throwing the odd hopeful bomb.
    he wasn't hittin him much in first to rounds but what he did hit him with was good hard hits and where hurting khan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

delighted.

the guys so easy not to like.

Exactly, Khan did not know where he was at the end of the second. Corner should have called it

those ears, wobbling is an overly familiar sight

Good to watch on the offence but man he gets dropped.. should probs go back down a division else needs to learn to pace himself here, as it was looking to catch him early anticipating garcia to settle was probably right

soap1978 wrote: »
    he wasn't hittin him much in first to rounds but what he did hit him with was good hard hits and where hurting khan

He wasn't landing much but he was doing what he was always gonna do.

Also apart from McCrory the Sky after-fight panel is decent. Johnny Nelson and Barry McGuigan sighing loudly every time he opens his mouth. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

beaten like a red headed step child

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Khan, wants to win over the US audiences by going to war, but can't take a big punch, left himself wide open ever time he went in, Garcia knew he just had to bide his time and the opportunity would present itself.

McCrory is a joke of an analyst- saying what Sky want to hear no doubt, but no-one apart from the Khan posse and idiots would buy it.

McGuigan and Nelson far more honest, McGuigan just a little more diplomatic about it.

Where next for Amir Khan??? The Next flight leaving for Botlon has a ticket with his name on it. UK domestic fights if he doesn't pack it in.

Where next for Amir Khan??? The Next flight leaving for Botlon has a ticket with his name on it. UK domestic fights if he doesn't pack it in.[/QUOTE]
    I think brook could be in line for putting the next nail in the coffin of khans boxing career

I think khan's big realization touched down tonight, like the forlorn expression on the sky presenter as he left us somethin to the effect of amir's career being in the dust

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭section4

predictable result, khan simply cannot exchange punches with some one who is even average power punch for punch, it has always been the case. The only 2 times he has fought a hungry fighter on the way up who has never been beat he has been sparked twice. It was clear from the first round that it was only a matter of time before garcia started to catch khan and when he did what would happen.
    I have said it before and say it again khan is completely overhyped and has been lucky to achieve what he has.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

what khan you say a mere con

Advertisement