Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

Yeah loads from the last tournament. On YouTube I'm sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Domonator

Yeah loads from the last tournament. On YouTube I'm sure?

I meant from the weekly casuals, any of those? I know a bloke who would record our matches years ago and he uploaded them to Youtube. It's good for new players as they can see the level of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MazManZero

For tournaments - You got BrianVonDoom's channel. - Doom's Channel

Just look through the playlists and you'll find some Tekken vids.

Other than that, I tend to upload fights every now and again on my channel (YT Channel is simply MazManZero) but it's more just me sounding like a thick drunk rather than displaying decent Tekken fights. :V

Edit: Weekly casual stuff though, no.

Good stuff. Ah I really miss playing Tekken now, raging I sold my PS3. Does Patrick (The Witch) still play?

Yeah he does, but not regularly. I'm sure if you were there he'd show up though.

• Advertisement

Might try and source a cheap second hand PS3 and a copy of TTT2. I've never played the latest installment in the series so I'd get whooped easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

Good stuff. Ah I really miss playing Tekken now, raging I sold my PS3. Does Patrick (The Witch) still play?

Hi! Yeah, I'm still part of the fighting game community but have kind of dropped Tekken. I will definitely play if you come to casuals though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

so on that note, is anybody available to come on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Doubt I can sorry, pretty broke atm to travel down.

@Dominator, hope we can have you back in the scene *Bows*

And yeah, we have a few tourney vids flying around on BrianVonDoom's channel for all of us, I used to stream a lot of online but not anymore due to moving out.

I went over to London recently and I played loads of people in a row for about 3/4 hours, can be found here - http://www.twitch.tv/thewonderpark/b/545688454 starts at 31:20 :)

Also, just a matter of interest, how many of you would be interested in trying to revive the TTT2 ranbats? I'm up for running it in Sept or so. Can be a monthly thing if we can keep the numbers consistent.

I'd be up for ranbats. Are you thinking of streaming this as well?

• Advertisement

Sorry I can't come in tomorrow, I have a bunch of study to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ixayek_usurper

MazManZero wrote: »
    ... but it's more just me sounding like a thick drunk rather than displaying decent Tekken fights. :V
    Drunken tekken you say!?! :eek:

+1 sub! :D
    ;)
    Nearest time that I'll be available to head into Dublin is the end of this month.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Get the tournaments working right and there's no reason why I couldn't stream more from them.

Copying my post from KTA here on why I think Asuka is really underrated.
    She's arguably the hardest character to open up because of all of her defensive options, ss2, cancans, 2+3 punch parry, i10 CH HC kdn string, b3, db2 (to crush highs clean) etc.

She has tons of safe CH launchers to keep you in check at range 2 with d2 (leaves them OC, really good for clipping movement), uf3 (safe low crush mid launcher that's really hard to whiff punish) ss4 (again really hard to whiff punish) and harass you with db3, ff2 HC strings (tracks to weak side if they try stepping d2/db3 as well as uf3 for weak side) WS1+2 as well at this range which basically kills you if it lands. F4 which is a + on block homing move which gives a combo on NH

She also has a really stupid wall game with d1+2 (unseeable low) giving 40+ dmg and oki, db3 leaving her +4 OC point blank, db1+2 giving a free +8 on block that they can't bdc, can't bdc fc df2 while on CH will win her the round and you can't really step it, ff3 for safe homing mid that wallsplats, SS2 for wallsplatting after strings to make them respect her (think Bob ss1+2), ff2 HC strings, both options wallsplats. On top of all that, she has a i12 wallsplat punish.

She's also an insanely safe character, having safe launchers, safe CH launchers (albeit being a little bad on block), her main lows are > -13 (db3, fc df2 and generic d4) so the i13 WS trio can't even launch her, uf3 is really hard to whiff punish and abusable etc. You have to work really hard to get around a safe Asuka.

She has the easiest and one of the strongest whiff punishers as well with f2, she works as an amazing assist character for a lot of characters with her ability to create red life off nearly all of her launchers.

Only downsides I can see really is her bad i10 punisher (rest of her standing is really good), poor WS punishment (but this encourages using cancans to crush lows rather than block them), a mediocre range 0 game and kinda meh TA fillers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I hate fighting Asuka for those reasons. She's so hard to open up with all her defensive options. B3 (I think it is) is an incredible defensive move, as well baiting for whiff punishes with a simple launch like f2. I think Jack's df2 is the only better whiff punisher that can be done as easily?

Fair play on giving some insight. I don't like when people have the attitude like "I play X and he's such a **** character but I'm still unreal with him. lol". I've been saying for a while that Yoshi is underrated too. He has very useful moves like 3~4 high crush (I think it's called) that isn't launch punishable and I can get 104 dmg out of with Paul. Granted it's quite slow but some moves go unnoticed by a lot of players. Some other launches are great too like f*d,df1, ff4, df1 when crouching, and of course flash.

I think Lei is seriously underrated as well.

Drunken tekken you say!?! :eek:

+1 sub! :D
    ;)
    Nearest time that I'll be available to head into Dublin is the end of this month.

I don't mean I'm drink, I just mean I sound drunk (like all the time). You should know this by now on how I act when I play Tekken. :V

Edit: Also Neil I won't be around tomorrow I'm afraid. Next week though I can make it (just as long as more people are around). Message me on PSN for a few games also if you want; I'll be playing FFX HD for the next while as it is, but don't mind a few games every now and again.

@Fergus:
    Asuka's a great char., no doubt. She's got some seriosuly good BS. Loads of safe launchers, really great defensive tools, a launcher throw. She is one of the biggest pain's in the ass to break down as an attacking player and can turn the tide so easily (and for such little risk!) with b+3 and reversals,
    but, do you not think that breaking down a turtle is her weakness?
    (aside from the other weaknesses you've mentioned)
    Also,
    Is f,f+2 really HC?
    MazManZero wrote: »
    I don't mean I'm drink, I just mean I sound drunk (like all the time). You should know this by now on how I act when I play Tekken. :V
    And that's even more of a reason to watch you play drunk! :P
    I do it all the time tbh man (play drunk).
    Or, atleast, I did when I played really regularly back in the T6 days.
    Subbed to your channel anyways :)

Yeah ff2 is really HC.

If you can't break grabs (which most people cannot), then she's not so bad at breaking down turtles. Especially considering that she gets really good oki off her generic grabs.

Although db3 leaves you a little far away for comfortable followups I think. You have to be a little creative using d4 in order to break people open. Followup with ss2, FR (launcher grab), FC df2, SS etc... as I say, be creative. But it's just that that limits her, you have to be creative. Take a character like Devil Jin, he does not have to be creative to open people up. Db2 is very very safe for how much frame advantage it gives. His Hell sweep, although unsafe gives similar advantage, with amazing mixup options.

Just a quick example as to her situation with turtles.

With db3, it creates enough pushback so you can f2 whiff punish any buttons they try, so you can treat that as your "frame trap" : P and do more db3s or use the hesitation to start f2~d offense.

Yeah with Asuka, her offense is pretty unconventional, she has all the tools to break you down with (+ making them really respect her upclose due to her ss2 and cancans in particular) . She's not amazing at it like Bob or Hwo/Baek or Mishimas etc. but it does the job on top of all her other strengths.

Yeah ff2 is really HC.

If you can't break grabs (which most people cannot), then she's not so bad at breaking down turtles. Especially considering that she gets really good oki off her generic grabs.
    But what about peeps that can break grabs? :P
    Yeah ff2 is really HC.
    ...Take a character like Devil Jin, he does not have to be creative to open people up. Db2 is very very safe for how much frame advantage it gives. His Hell sweep, although unsafe gives similar advantage, with amazing mixup options.
    DVJ is just so good IMO. d/b+2 is ridiculuous!! The fact that it's only -12 is just plain stupid!!
    What annoys the most is that DVJ gets all these great attacks that put the Opp. in negative frames, and then he doesn't even have to take a risk afterwards to launch you and go can with safe BS like d/f+2 and b+4.
    Fergus_ wrote: »
    Yeah with Asuka, her offense is pretty unconventional, she has all the tools to break you down with (+ making them really respect her upclose due to her ss2 and cancans in particular)
    I definitely respect her up close. IMO thats where she pis$e$ me the f#£k off err "shines". Esp. when you have your opponent backed against the wall.
    But it's getting in there that I think she lacks. Like when her HP is low and the opp. is sitting pretty, she has a tough time IMO.
    In fairness to yourself and skeering, you both use f+2~d very well (which has it's risk, it's kinda like baek d/f+3~f but better!) but outside of that attack/strat, do you guys not feel that she has a tough job closing the distance? It's not like ya can just do f,f+2 on it's own to get in their face.

The last day we spoke Eoin you were talking about why peeps don't really have a reason to duck against asuka.
    Do you feel she needs better low's or more BS high's?

• Advertisement

The thing that annoys me most about Devil Jin is the tracking on his EWGF. You can pre-emptively ssr Hei's and Kaz's EWGF if you're up in their grill but DVJ always catches me, you pretty much have to keep at mid range and swl if you want to evade him. I think that's what decides him as the best of the three Mishimas.

Well, to be honest Hei db2 would be very nice to have. But she has a surprisingly decent FC game, so that actually (believe it or not) might make her too good lol.

I was happy with the addition of ff2, that was the main thing that she needed I think. A good natural mid string. Anything more now could be asking a lot. She has decent lows with 3~4 and d1+2, if you abuse them with grabs people will start to duck. Abuse db3 and people will start parrying also (range 1 or 2 I think?). Then d2 ad uf3 come into play.

ff3 is actually a nice move to cover range. It's so bad on block though that you're really stuck after.

Macal wrote: »
    .... I think that's what decides him as the best of the three Mishimas.
    I can see where your coming from but I dont think that's what set's him apart from the other mishima's.
    DVJ is the most balanced of the mishima's, the best pokes (IMO), great get out jail BS with u+4/reversals/b+3 and safe CH launchers. His tracking is probably the worst of the lot though.

@Fergus and Skeering
    Some info courtesy of noodals HC thread:
    [the info is in the form;

attack command (hit catagories) 'properties'
    Input frames/frames on block
    Latest possible input frame for the attack to come out/latest frame for the string to be NC/Latest frames for NCc
    ]

Asuka
    f,f+2,1 (m,h) NC
    15(16~)/-5
    28/26/26

Asuka
    f,f+2,1+2 (m,m) NC
    15(16~)/-13
    18/18/18

See:
    http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126224&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

And just so you to give a measure of input standards, average human 'reaction to stimulus then hit input' is about 13f, but that's discounting a few factors. From looking at the data that noodalls provided for various attacks, I'd say and easy to HC attack is about 9f.
    So, Asuka f,f+2,1+2 is not HC. f,f+2,1 is.
    ... Anything more now could be asking a lot. ...
    It's interesting the way ya responded man. I think prior to TTT2 coming out, everyone was all BUFF MY CHAR but now that a lot of the lower/mid tiered char's such as us Hwo/asuka/raven etc players have gotten a lot of the things we'd wished for, we now don't want the characters to be OP. That would take away from the credit we get as players, win or lose, in matches.
    We don't want every Tom, Dick and Jason Sally playing our characters.

FF3 is amazing to make them respect Asuka's approach, hit them with it a few times at range 2/3 and bam, you got them respecting her f2~d approach for free offense.

I know I haven't played her in T6 or T6 competitively but ff2 is a godsend, especially that it tracks to her weak side, so you can bully with db3 and d2 and sometimes throw out ff2/ff3/uf3 to keep them in check if they're stepping the other way and HC ff2,1 as Usurper said.

It's funny, people were all saying initially that ff2 wasn't so good because every extension of it is punishable.

"Ah no you can't just throw out ff2 all day, people will duck the high and punish the first first hit on block"

People like that need to actually play real games more.

A little early to say, but anyone going to casuals on Saturday?

I'm pretty confident I'll be available

Any others available for casuals tomorrow?

I shall be available.

• Advertisement

Won't be around sorry, too broke for bus :(

Advertisement