Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insanity Workout: Anyone try it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Sorry if it's been asked before...

Is insanity available on an app for IPad or anything like that?

Don't have a laptop / DVD player at the minute so looking to see if it's available on App Store.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

Have started this up recently. Yeah it's tough! Proper tough.

I'm still on week 1. No stiffness or soreness as of yet and I'm getting through most of the exercises (except those bloody holds in Cardio Recovery). Tough but enjoyable. Pure Cardio today so I'll see how that goes (EDIT: Nothing easy here. Took a few small breaks, probably more than I'd like but that will improve).

Fitness is my main aim with weight loss a close second. Must get my diet in order for it. I have no intention of following the strict meal plan that accompanies it but I will use the calorie calculations and try to get my diet in order. I'll need to up my protein intake.

Great thread (after the bullsh*t at the start). Anyone else doing it at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Still doing it 3 or 4 times a week. Not doing the 60 days challenge obviously but I mix it up with more other cardio work to keep the body guessing.

Did you find that it improved your fitness a lot 2nd Row? Did you find you improved much on other cardio as a result of Insanity?

One week finished. It's extremely tough at times but I'm really liking it, no fear of stopping just yet. The day I'm least looking forward to again is Cardio Recovery. I failed in a lot of that but google tells me I'm not alone. With most of the cardio exercises I can 'dig deep' and force out a few more reps but with some of the stretches/holds in Cardio Recovery it's just a case of not being physically able, which is a little frustrating.

Today is rest day but I think I'll get in the next exercise. I have a free day and am keen to do some sort of exercise. Plus it will be more convenient to take a rest day tomorrow or Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Have completed week one about 3 times in last 6 weeks. Start week 2 and the miss a day or two and as Shaun T recommends repeat the week.

Total dose if I don't do it before work I struggle to fit it in at night problem with the morning session is your starving and have no energy.

• Advertisement

I actually started week one again this week as I had been away on holidays after starting it previously. But if I was you I'd just move on if it's becoming a repeated thing. If you get Insanity finished you won't be too worried about a few days of a break you took here or there. It's not something anybody is going to ask about. It mightn't be ideal but it's far from the end of the world. Repeatedly starting week one is going to get boring and unprogressive (is that a word?). Pushing on might help with motivation.

How are you finding recovery? Are you taking supplements or protein?

I'm trying to up my protein intake and have been taking a protein shake each workout. Recovery has been fine so far, no effects the next morning at all. Feel a very slight bit of stiffness after this morning's workout but I'll have a rest day tomorrow so no worries.

Did you find that it improved your fitness a lot 2nd Row? Did you find you improved much on other cardio as a result of Insanity?

Yes. I felt a marked improvement in my cardio. A couple of weeks into the challenge and it just took off. By the end of it I was finding the sessions much easier.
    I also felt it when playing rugby. So much so that at the end of a game of rugby I'd be thinking 'I must have been s**t today because I don't feel tired or too sweaty"

kilburn wrote:
    Have completed week one about 3 times in last 6 weeks. Start week 2 and the miss a day or two and as Shaun T recommends repeat the week.

Forget that man. Just move on. Missing a day is okay. Even two. If I missed a day then I'd just skip the cardio recovery day and rejig the plan a bit.

... don't think liberties obviously. Do what you can to avoid missing the challenges. .. pre prepare meals and carry spare gym gear in the car.

• Advertisement

Day 10 down, 53 to go(!)

My legs were in serious pain going into the last set of those level 1 drills today. The workouts are so tough but thankfully I'm finding recovery absolutely fine. And the sweat! Dear god. I often find myself going through two pints of water during a workout.
    Cardio Recovery tomorrow. Ugh!

My diet has been pretty sh1t over the last couple of days. Hopefully I can get that in a good place to lose a bit of weight, but either way I plan to continue with Insanity. The way I see it: Insanity = fitness, Diet = weight loss. I'd really love to lose weight and I'd really love to be much fitter. I know they aid and benefit each other so hopefully I can achieve both!
    But even if it happened that I didn't lose a lot of weight, I know at the end of Insanity I'd probably be the fittest I have been in a very long time, if not the fittest I have ever been. If I get to there I'll be a very happy chappy!

My diet has been pretty sh1t over the last couple of days. Hopefully I can get that in a good place to lose a bit of weight, but either way I plan to continue with Insanity. The way I see it: Insanity = fitness, Diet = weight loss. I'd really love to lose weight and I'd really love to be much fitter. I know they aid and benefit each other so hopefully I can achieve both! But even if it happened that I didn't lose a lot of weight, I know at the end of Insanity I'd probably be the fittest I have been in a very long time, if not the fittest I have ever been. If I get to there I'll be a very happy chappy!

Good for you. Keep it up.

It'll be great to make it thru to the end, do the final fitness test and see your results

Have you any other way of assessing your fitness at the end - do you play any field sports or the like?

Also, if you don't mind me asking - do you need to lose weight as in are you above your BMI etc

Good for you. Keep it up.

It'll be great to make it thru to the end, do the final fitness test and see your results

Have you any other way of assessing your fitness at the end - do you play any field sports or the like?

Also, if you don't mind me asking - do you need to lose weight as in are you above your BMI etc

I cycle, run and swim from time to time. I'm reasonably fit but I'll know in myself when I'm fitter.

And yeah I could definitely lose some weight. I've always been over. If I could shift a stone (for good) I'd be happy. But we'll see how it goes.

Same here good bit over BMI but it's all packed into my keg

Quick question.

Day 13 tomorrow which means Pure Cardio & Cardio Abs. What have others done regarding the stretching/cooling down after Pure Cardio? Do you go straight onto Cardio Abs after the Pure Cardio workout (without the stretching/cooling down)? I notice that there's a warm up period for Cardio Abs too. Bit strange to be cooling down and going through another warm up I think.
    I'll probably end up doing it all as don't fancy missing anything, even if it is stretching. But would like to hear what others do. I don't see any 'official' explanation of what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Tbh, I rarely did both due to time constraints, but you're right, the warm-down followed by a warm-up seemed to me a bit odd, so you could just skip the warm-down, go straight into abs and then back to the full warm down?

I just completed the full two exercises - warm down followed by the warm up. I don't want to be skipping anything, even if I know it's probably a bit pointless and it took quite a bit of time. It was tough starting up again after completing Pure Cardio!
    Like Cardio Recovery I wasn't able for a lot of Cardio Abs. Holding those positions for as long as the videos is just impossible to me but I just do what I can. I prefer to be jumping around. Fit test tomorrow. Two weeks down, seven to go.

Fit Test Results

Just want to record these here in case I lose my scraps of paper. Might also be useful for others to compare to if needed.

Exercise - Fit Test 1 - Fit Test 2
    Switch Kicks - 36 - 39 (pairs)
    Power Jacks - 28 - 34
    Power Knees - 55 - 65
    Power Jumps - 15 - 20
    Globe Jumps - 6 - 7.5 (full rotation = 1)
    Suicide Jumps - 10 - 12
    Push Up Jacks - 7 - 13
    Low Plank Obliques - 20 - 26

I had no idea of my numbers from my first fit test so had no idea what to beat or even how I was doing during today's test. It was only after finishing that I retrieved the first set of results and compared. Quite pleased to improve each exercise and to improve some by a decent amount. Beginners gains and all but I'll take that.

I was having a read through the thread and picked up a lot of talk about month two! That's a few weeks away yet, but I'm nervous already!

Still flying it. Had about 6 days off after picking up a slight niggle along the way but fine since.

I'm in the middle of week 4 and looking ahead to the recovery week. Did the rest of you guys stick to the schedule and do the six days of Core Cardio & Balance for the recovery week? I'm being impatient but I don't feel I need a full week of recovery (especially after having six days off a while back) and to be honest I'm quite keen on getting stuck into month two. At the moment I'm sort of considering doing 3 or 4 days of it and make a decision then. Be interested to hear what way the rest of you took it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Still flying it. Had about 6 days off after picking up a slight niggle along the way but fine since.

I'm in the middle of week 4 and looking ahead to the recovery week. Did the rest of you guys stick to the schedule and do the six days of Core Cardio & Balance for the recovery week? I'm being impatient but I don't feel I need a full week of recovery (especially after having six days off a while back) and to be honest I'm quite keen on getting stuck into month two. At the moment I'm sort of considering doing 3 or 4 days of it and make a decision then. Be interested to hear what way the rest of you took it.

I did about three days of it and then took a few days complete rest. Its up to you, the Month 2 workouts are tough enough , i would be delaying the as much as possible

• Advertisement

I did about three days of it and then took a few days complete rest. Its up to you, the Month 2 workouts are tough enough , i would be delaying the as much as possible

Haha thanks Dixie Chick. I've read plenty of bad things about Month 2, but I'm either going to do it or not. I won't know until I try and I'm pretty keen to see how it goes.
    I may well share your opinion after starting it!

I tried some of the stuff in the middle but didn't enjoy the workouts as much so just got stuck straight into the 2nd month.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paully D wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I've started back doing the Insanity programme last week so thought it might give me a bit more encouragement and motivation if I was to post about it here weekly to update my progress too.

I tried it for the first time in the summer of 2012, stuck to the training schedule religiously and saw some great results upon completion. I initially did it with the intention of losing weight, however, I actually put on 1lb but toned up all over and looked/felt so much better. Over the last couple of years I've put everything back on (and then some!) and as a result of other factors along with my lack of commitment I've never stuck to the programme for more than a week or two before bailing out. However, I have some goals/targets in mind now and I'm determined to stick to it. I do find it extremely tough as I'm up very early for work and home very late (it's literally get home, do Insanity, shower, eat and go to bed) and after a long day it's the last thing I want to do, but I know the benefits are worth it and feel so good at the end of each session.

Week 1:

The fit test was a nightmare :pac: I literally struggled to walk around the next day I was so sore, and I posted some pretty poor numbers across all exercises. I felt quite disheartened on Tuesday and Wednesday doing the Plyo and Cardio Power sessions as for the second set of exercises I spent more time staring at the ground and the pool of my own sweat than actually being able to follow Shaun T and co. The stretching session on Thursday was most welcome as my muscles were killing me, but then something changed on Friday and Saturday. I love Pure Cardio anyway as it feels so much quicker than the other sessions but yet just as, if not more, difficult. However, I completed the warm up with minimum need for a quick water break and felt so much stronger doing the exercises. Same on Saturday, I was struggling with the level 1 drills earlier in the week but was getting through 3 sets of the level 2 drills before needing to break at the end of the week.

One thing I do really find boring is the warm up and stretching. Of course it's vital and I understand it's value, but in total it takes up about a third of the session and after going through the programme before, I know exactly what's coming and there's no real variation. I sometimes wish it was possible to jump straight into the circuits but do realise how foolish that would be. :pac:

Diet is obviously key, and while I don't even look at the Insanity specific diet, I know mine needs to change dramatically in line with doing the programme as it did in 2012. I felt I did well with that aspect this week. I had a bit of a slip today, but other than that I had decent breakfast, lunch and dinners for the rest of the week and will post a thread asking for advice with regards to my diet in the forum.

Overall a solid return and I'm hopefully for more of the same in week 2. I'll update next week. :)

Forgot all about this thread until I was reading back over my posting history and thought I'd update. I made the above post in mid-November, so a little over 10 months ago. At the time I made the above post I was a little over 14.7 stone, extremely unhappy with my weight, my diet was awful, and I had really let myself go. A couple of weeks before the above post something happened in my personal life that I just said to myself "**** this, I'm going to set myself a goal of losing weight" and it was a great motivator. I had had success with Insanity in the past so decided to break it out and use that to give me a kick start and as I wasn't a member of a gym and it was too dark to be out running the roads where I live, it was handy in the sense I could do this indoors.

In the beginning it was extremely tough given that I was up really early for work, home really late and for a few months my life during the week basically consisted of going to work, coming home and throwing on Insanity while being a moody grump, getting food and a shower and then going to sleep. It was hard mentally but I was motivated and stuck at it, I was seeing results on the scales which obviously helped. Now the real problem I have with Insanity is that it is so repetitive it does burn you out eventually, you start to know exactly what is coming up after a while and the warm up is mind-numbingly boring IMO. So I lasted about 6-7 full weeks of Insanity before I had to stop before I ironically went insane. Luckily I enjoy road running and the evenings were starting to perk up a bit so I mixed an odd Insanity session with anywhere between 2.5-5 miles of road running. I now do the road running as my form of exercise around 3 times a week and generally always try to do 4-5 miles when I go out. I feel Insanity was a huge help in preparing me for that.

10 months on and my diet is now unrecognisable from what it was and this is really the big thing. Like any program, you can stick with Insanity to the letter of the law but if your diet isn't right then it's largely a waste of time and trust me I've been there in the past. My Fitness Pal has been great for me. I input everything I eat without exception and feel much more accountable for what I'm putting into my body now. I'd highly recommend it.

In terms of actual results, I've gone from 14.7 stone when I started Insanity in mid-November to 13.1 at my last monthly weigh in. Seeing some pictures from back then and comparing them to recent ones is crazy and you know what, I really don't think it's all that difficult to do despite what I thought at the start. Sure, I definitely found it very tough at the start but it got so much easier as the weeks and soon months went on. I know I could have done even better in terms of weight loss with more discipline, but I enjoy a feed of pints a couple of times a month, I have a takeaway once a week and I've been away a couple of times during the period too which has resulted in consecutive days of bad eating and no exercise.

Anyway, I know Insanity gets a bad rep from some (some aspects I fully agree with, some I'd question) but in terms of giving you a start, improving your overall fitness and helping you to get on the right path then I think it's very good. If you're thinking about giving it a go, I say - do it! :D Just have a get out plan and/or a plan of what you're going to do after Insanity because I think it's needed.

Question for those who did Cardio Abs. I always found that it was my quads getting tired ahead of my abs due to having to hold the particular position. I don't know whether this is because my abs aren't strong enough so my legs are taking over or what, but it made it very difficult to complete the exercises.

Anyone else have this difficulty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Anyone at it or p90 or another one lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Is there any type of app available for this or something SImilar. I only have a tablet.

Will be starting this again the weekend any one restarting ?

kilburn wrote: »
    Will be starting this again the weekend any one restarting ?

Just finished 3 weeks ago and went straight into p90x3. Was actually able to keep up with The insanity vids in the final week! Couldn't believe it! I went back to try out some of the shorter vids from the beginning and they were a doddle.

Diet is so so so important.

Started again last week. 6 weeks to go yo hols.

Not doing it every single day but about 5 times a week.

• Advertisement

Started again last week. 6 weeks to go yo hols.

Not doing it every single day but about 5 times a week.
    You're not digging deep enough.

Keep that back leg straight.

Advertisement