Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insanity Workout: Anyone try it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Calories burned at entirely dependant on bodyweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Howya Si

Are the workouts only worth 500 cals?

I tried a bit of googling a few months ago to try and find a guide to them but couldn't find anything definitive.

I usually record mine as about 650-750 but I ve no science behind that really

I have a multi sports watch which records heart rate, gps etc and when I do an interval run with regular sprints .. it comes in around 750 cals and after insanity I'd be considerably more exhausted. ..

It's very difficult to calculate the calories burned. I bought a heart rate monitor and was using it during my workouts. After inputting my height/weight it was calculating between 500 - 600 calories burned per workout. However, after some checking I found that the best exercise for monitoring calories burned with a HRM is steady state stuff, and not HIIT or equivalent. I posted something on the Myfitnesspal website asking why and one response was;
    Heart rate can be a proxy, but there are assumptions about the stability of the relationship that are based on performance being aerobic. As soon as one goes into the anaerobic range the relationship between heart rate and calorie expenditure breaks down.

I found this interesting. My heart rate during Insanity would regularly reach 155 - 160bpm which is in the anaerobic range. As a result, I always erred on the low side when thinking about calories burned and went for the 500 mark, even if it felt like a lot more!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,709 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

SuprSi wrote:
    I found this interesting. My heart rate during Insanity would regularly reach 155 - 160bpm which is in the anaerobic range. As a result, I always erred on the low side when thinking about calories burned and went for the 500 mark, even if it felt like a lot more!

Fair enough. what about the month 2 exercises ... how many calories you reckon they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Fair enough. what about the month 2 exercises ... how many calories you reckon they are?

Hard to say. They're obviously tougher due to the length of both the session but also the intervals. I went through my Polar diary (back in September before I hurt my neck) and this is what some month 1 exercises were like;

vfzfpc.png

Like I mentioned, take these with a pinch of salt. You could just add another 15 - 20% for the added intensity and length of the month 2 exercises. Without looking into what your VO2 max and some other things is, it's likely you'll just be getting approximate figures anyway.

Well you approach is more solid than mine. I think I'll use your estimations going forward.
    Appreciate your feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd always err on the conservative side with calories for exercise. Like I'd never have gone too far beyond 600-625 for 50 minutes of squash which wouldn't be hugely dissimilar in terms of intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

padzer wrote: »
    Fair enough but my mates are all over the other side of the city though so im flying solo on this one. I do enjoy it, "getting it out of the way" was just an expression, but come the golf season i wont have much spare time in the evenings and a morning workout would be a logical move.

The main reason i was running at lunch was due to being able to fit some sort of workout into my day without having to change much, they have showers in work so its ideal.

I've been doing it for nearly 8 weeks and "getting it out of the way" is actually exactly how I feel about it, even now. I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed it. The last thing I want to do when I get home at 7pm after a long day in work when I'm cold, tired and moody is Insanity. But I go straight upstairs, change into my workout gear and fire on the video and away I go.

However, what I do enjoy is the feeling after it and the results. When I get it done and sit down with a cup of tea aching but knowing I've gone another step closer to my goal and sleep like a baby at 10pm as soon as I get into the bed. Also getting on the scales every week and seeing another pound or two gone.

So yeah, it's effective, but personally I don't think there's anything wrong with using the "getting it out of the way" expression in regards to it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭deadybai

For people who are currently doing or have done the insanity workout. Does the workout build a muscle from your results?
    I heard that it just burns fat so I was thinking of mixing it up with a muscle workout every second day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭siblers

deadybai wrote: »
    For people who are currently doing or have done the insanity workout. Does the workout build a muscle from your results?
    I heard that it just burns fat so I was thinking of mixing it up with a muscle workout every second day.

Won't really build muscle, more definition than anything else. You do a ****load of pushups (variations of them) which is really the only exercise that will build up muscle on your chest and arms. I guess it could build up leg muscle but I never really noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Keep meaning to post here. I did a straight two weeks of the programme and then got sick over Christmas and it took me out for a while. I started again as if I was just going into week 2.

I'm really enjoying it. Even if I laugh every time Shaun T talks about how we're going to start "jacking it".

I'm a child.

• Advertisement

I was thinking the same thing earlier tonight 'Come on, Jack it out'

I do it with the volume turned off, it got to the stage where I knew what he was going to say before he said it. Plus doing it with my own music playlist makes it so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

good idea^

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭padzer

Holy mother of jaysus, I started on the second month the other day....now this is a completely different ball game. 1 hour workouts and i see there is a Max/Insane abs to go on top of one in a couple of days. Cant complain though, the results are pretty visible.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

padzer wrote: »
    Holy mother of jaysus, I started on the second month the other day....now this is a completely different ball game. 1 hour workouts and i see there is a Max/Insane abs to go on top of one in a couple of days. Cant complain though, the results are pretty visible.

Its torture for the 1st week, even after the warmup I was in shock! :D
    Great workout though

Look up 'day 36 insanity workout' on You tube for a good laugh.

... its of a girl in the states doing a video blog who looses it after doing day 36

"Shaun T has lost his mind"

it's is nuts though.

I'm so used to it now I kinda take it for granted and don't really see it as being insane, not saying I'm super fit or anything but when we do cardio drills at soccer training it's absolute piss compared to Insanity.

Today is a day off, i havent needed a day off so badly since it started. Think i had a nighmare about level 3 drills last night.

What have people been doing when its all over tho? Just keep doing month 2? Move onto that T25 one that I am hearing about?

I usually switch to doing some running but with the interval training in mind... no more mindless plodding g around the roads for 70, 80, 90 mins. Instead I run for 40-50 mins with lots of sprinting (well more like 80% pace) 80 and short recovery periods.

I have a tom tom sports watch that you can set for interval training based on time or heart rate so it stops me from drifting of and daydreaming while I'm running around the roads of tallaght

then when I get bored of that I go back to insanity.

Thinking about doing Shaun T's latest craze next ... training to the max or 'maxing out' or whatever it's called.

Been meaning to post in here for weeks now..

Anyway... For anyone who's done the 60 day challenge or is interested in doing it then you might be interested in some official Insanity/Shaun T affiliated classes run by Prestige fitness (aka insanity fitness) ... based in D12 (kylemore road) they also run classes in D3 near East wall, D 15 in Castleknock and Lexlip I think too.

They've been doing them since this time last year and a new 60 day challenge starts every 2-3 months. Mine just finished on Sat 16th (just in time for Paddys day) and I lost 23lbs and 9% body fat.

You get the whole before and after assessments, fit test, photos, body measurements etc.

2 classes a week plus an optional Sat morning class and then it's up to you if you want to do workouts at home on the other days too ( I did in the first 4 weeks but not so much in the last 4 weeks)

You also get a nutrition guide, meal planning stuff, recipes etc ...

Classes (in D12) were Mon and Wed at 8pm but they also had 7pm class on the same night as well as another set of people doing a separate 60 challenge on Tues/Thurs night so there is lots of flexibility.

Classes all last 50 mins but the exercises get tougher and the breaks shorter as the weeks go by..

Anyway Google them or look them up on face book if you want more details.

If you have any questions then please ask away.

• Advertisement

Been meaning to post in here for weeks now..

Anyway... For anyone who's done the 60 day challenge or is interested in doing it then you might be interested in some official Insanity/Shaun T affiliated classes run by Prestige fitness (aka insanity fitness) ... based in D12 (kylemore road) they also run classes in D3 near East wall, D 15 in Castleknock and Lexlip I think too.

They've been doing them since this time last year and a new 60 day challenge starts every 2-3 months. Mine just finished on Sat 16th (just in time for Paddys day) and I lost 23lbs and 9% body fat.

You get the whole before and after assessments, fit test, photos, body measurements etc.

2 classes a week plus an optional Sat morning class and then it's up to you if you want to do workouts at home on the other days too ( I did in the first 4 weeks but not so much in the last 4 weeks)

You also get a nutrition guide, meal planning stuff, recipes etc ...

Classes (in D12) were Mon and Wed at 8pm but they also had 7pm class on the same night as well as another set of people doing a separate 60 challenge on Tues/Thurs night so there is lots of flexibility.

Classes all last 50 mins but the exercises get tougher and the breaks shorter as the weeks go by..

Anyway Google them or look them up on face book if you want more details.

If you have any questions then please ask away.

23lbs....fair play, thats great going.

I have 2 days left of the 8 weeks just doing it at home on my own. No idea what happens next.

Never took any pics or measurements when i was starting it, lost 11lbs though.

padzer wrote:
    23lbs....fair play, thats great going.

padzer wrote:
    I have 2 days left of the 8 weeks just doing it at home on my own. No idea what happens next.

padzer wrote:
    Never took any pics or measurements when i was sta5rting it, lost 11lbs though.

You must have finished tonight then (or is tomorrow)

I've lost 12-13 lbs previously but this time I finally got my diet in decent shape. . I didn't follow the insanity nutrition Guide but I did count calories for the first time ever and kept my net calories to 1550 per day.

How's the over fitness/strength..
    You must also see a difference in body shape?

You must have finished tonight then (or is tomorrow)

I've lost 12-13 lbs previously but this time I finally got my diet in decent shape. . I didn't follow the insanity nutrition Guide but I did count calories for the first time ever and kept my net calories to 1550 per day.

How's the over fitness/strength..
    You must also see a difference in body shape?

Didnt get to finish it off as i tagged along with a mate who goes to his local boxing club for training. I can say one thing, i was well able for it, and that can only be thanks to Shaun T. It was an hour of a workout and I am brand new this morning, thought i would be in bits.

I was using the myfitnesspal app to keep an eye on the calories alright but now that i mention it i havent been on it all week. Ive just cut all the garbage out of the diet that previously i just had as part of a daily routine. Bars, biscuits, crisps, sweets are out and i havent had a takeaway in the 8 weeks. Found a new friend in turkey mince ha.

Upper body, Arms and shoulders have definitely bulked up, stomach and love handles could still do with a bit of work. Oh and my legs are like treetrunks from all the squats.

I think that right there speaks volume for the cardio and conditioning of Insanity... Boxing training is not for the faint hearted. I remember throwing up on the canvas myself.

Yeah I'd be lost without myfitnesspal too.
    No takeaway in 8 weeks! Jayzus that's an achievement in itself. I stuck to the once a week on a Sat night but I made sure I'd burned at least 1000kcal in training that day beforehand to lesson the load.

In my 'after' measurements I'd lost an inch off the arms. 3 1/2 of the chest which gives a more defined look but my upper legs... thighs - increased 4 inches ... All those squats and lunges I guess.

Anyone try the new Insanity workout? It's called Max:30. Did my first one today and I really enjoyed it, I was sweating absolutley buckets after it, nice mix up from the Beach Body one which I'm bored to death of.

siblers wrote:
    Anyone try the new Insanity workout? It's called Max:30. Did my first one today and I really enjoyed it, I was sweating absolutley buckets after it, nice mix up from the Beach Body one which I'm bored to death of.

Is that the 'max out' one where you keep going until you can do no more (or get to the 30 min mark I guess). How was it?

siblers wrote: »

That really shows Insanity’s marketing angle. Instead of giving people scalable, repeatable workouts, or principles that they can take away.
    They sell set routines that people get bored of, so they come back for the next instalment. Repeat business is the best business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Mellor wrote: »
    That really shows Insanity’s marketing angle. Instead of giving people scalable, repeatable workouts, or principles that they can take away.
    They sell set routines that people get bored of, so they come back for the next instalment. Repeat business is the best business.
    the worst designed workout done with excellent consistency and intensity will always 'work'

the problem is that people equate sweat or being stiff with progress

we had a client that came to us 2 weeks ago after doing stuff like that for a year - she was super stiff, injury just waiting to happen and very weak.

Plus like most people never addressed her nutrition, just figured she was sweating so much it had to be 'working'

Transform wrote: »
    the problem is that people equate sweat or being stiff with progress

Pretty much. Also "the burn" and DOMS. As if being crippled by dysfunction is the goal.

God forbid they look at mobility and start moving better, least they think "can't feel" the training anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Mellor wrote: »
    Pretty much. Also "the burn" and DOMS. As if being crippled by dysfunction is the goal.

God forbid they look at mobility and start moving better, least they think "can't feel" the training anymore.
    the magic is in the moderation but its the extremes and youth that sell, sad really

Advertisement