Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrybank being turned into halting site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

ikeano29 wrote: »
    And have any of these families in ferrybank contributed to any of the anti-social behavior going on around or is it just you don't like them as neighbours?

Have a look at the dog stealing thread for a start

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭achiman

And have any of these families in ferrybank contributed to any of the anti-social behavior going on around or is it just you don't like them as neighbours?

yes your right they just get up have their breakfast and go to work just like the rest of us :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Kilkenny County Council received over 7 million in payments from the developers of the estates as per planning law, to avoid having to include social housing within these estates, the council was supposed to build their own social housing with this money. Kilkenny County Council built no housing and failed to use any of the money in this area. No parks, playgrounds etc.
    Houses were sold in these estates with the understanding that social housing wasnt included. Kilkenny coco are purchasing these houses privately with a special fund especially for travellers. These are the only people being housed.
    KK Co Council surely have a lot of questions to be answered. The 7 million they recieved here in addition to development fees gained from independant builders and whatever else building that occured,and now we have to "fund local authorities".Account for this money me thinks:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

jluv wrote: »
    KK Co Council surely have a lot of questions to be answered. The 7 million they recieved here in addition to development fees gained from independant builders and whatever else building that occured,and now we have to "fund local authorities".Account for this money me thinks:mad:

Don't see that being an easy thing to get.
    Politics in this country really loves the Misc section of account pages

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Kina

The first family of travellers were moved by the Gardai around the weekend. They returned a day later, and the following day, two more caravans showed up. I had hoped it was for a fabulous Gypsy wedding, but alas, they seem to have taken up residency on the Abbey Road. The first family didn't really put in or out on anyone in fairness, apart from being subjected to watching one guy wash himself in the rain with a tea towel at about 8 am one day, they were alright.

I am pretty sick of seeing caravans pop up wherever some travellers like. I respect that it's a different way of life, but at the end of the day, if your desire is to be free and mobile, why park up smack bang in the middle of residential estates? The Guards are incredibly intimidated and do very little.

Every culture/ enthnicity has their own traditions and way of life. However, everyone needs to adapt and roll with the times. Stopping horse and trap races on the dual carraigeway is not defying your tradition, it's preventing accidents and animal cruelty. You have to abide by the law and have respect for the community you live in. I'm not suggesting that all settled people do, of course not. You can't simply pull out a racism card when you're caught doing something against the law or which endangers lives. It's not because you're a traveller, it's because you're a disrespectful as*hole with zero respect.

Rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭tobey

they broke two steaks in the green that prevented them from going where they went, surley thats criminal damage. everytime i walk down the hill now one of them has a comment or is begging for money. they stopped me in town before telling me they needed money to go and see there mother whos in hospital whos dieing, they've no money for petrol but drive a 11 toyota the dirty travscum.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Kina

That's disgraceful. I want to say I accept them, and they're fine, but I have never had a positive or pleasant experience in dealing with a traveller. I remember in school we had to do a project on socially disadvantaged groups, and some of us were assigned a study of the travelling community. I genuinely really tried to get it, or say "oh they're not all bad", but I've accepted through experience that I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. I worked in retail for years, and the stealing, lack of hygeine, attitude etc was vile. My step-dad is a taxi driver and has to deal with them ripping him off and threatening him a lot. The previous set of travellers used to lock their dog in the boot of their car overnight too, which I thought was very cruel. Who do we contact to get rid of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,847 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The problem here is responsibility. When travellers pull in on the side of the road there has to be a complaint from the owners if the land they are on. If it's council owned, there is a procedure in place which involves strict protocol and takes time (to make sure the travellers can't sue for racism afterwards). Once the managerial person decides that they are trespassing, an order is made and served on them which requires them to leave within 24 hours. For Ferrybank, the issue is getting someone from Kilkenny or Waterford Co Co to make that decision, as the person who does it could very well be putting their job on the line.

Now, if it's a private estate, then the written complaint has to come from the owners of the estate, which you can imagine can be very hard to track down. The Gardai cannot do anything until a written complaint is received, and even after getting that there us a numbers issue, that being that thrre needs to be a high number of Gardai present at the removal of said travellers, which can be a logistical nightmare depending on the day/time.

What needs to happen is that some overpaid muppet needs to make a motion in the Dail to make new regulations which outright ban travellers from parking up where they want. But none of them have the brains, balls or bother about them to do it, for fear of a racial attack.

Personally, I blame Pavee Point and human rights activists.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Lobby groups in general really need to fcuk off a cliff for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

The problem here is responsibility. When travellers pull in on the side of the road there has to be a complaint from the owners if the land they are on. If it's council owned, there is a procedure in place which involves strict protocol and takes time (to make sure the travellers can't sue for racism afterwards). Once the managerial person decides that they are trespassing, an order is made and served on them which requires them to leave within 24 hours. For Ferrybank, the issue is getting someone from Kilkenny or Waterford Co Co to make that decision, as the person who does it could very well be putting their job on the line.

Now, if it's a private estate, then the written complaint has to come from the owners of the estate, which you can imagine can be very hard to track down. The Gardai cannot do anything until a written complaint is received, and even after getting that there us a numbers issue, that being that thrre needs to be a high number of Gardai present at the removal of said travellers, which can be a logistical nightmare depending on the day/time.

What needs to happen is that some overpaid muppet needs to make a motion in the Dail to make new regulations which outright ban travellers from parking up where they want. But none of them have the brains, balls or bother about them to do it, for fear of a racial attack.

Personally, I blame Pavee Point and human rights activists.

Does on order to get them removed not have to come via a court order. I always thought that was the reason for the delays. Would be kinda annoyed to hear it was administration/bureaucracy issue left these guys roadside for so long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

i have relation that lives there.you have know f**kin idea what went on for the 8 months they harassed the people in the fairways. dumping rubbish on side of the road,knockin on every door in the street 7&8 times a day lookin for everything and anything,blocking in several houses daily with the 6r7 big cars that were there daily,threatened several people some scared to leave there house.the houses near them had there blinds closed all evening when youd drive past to pretend they werent home,and beating each other up on the street in daylight,guards called daily, posting my opinion on them would probably get me banned. they also urinated and worse in the garden. and the house is being gutted now cause its ruined. neighbours you call them? ha laughable

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

fozz10 wrote: »
    i have relation that lives there.you have know f**kin idea what went on for the 8 months they harassed the people in the fairways. dumping rubbish on side of the road,knockin on every door in the street 7&8 times a day lookin for everything and anything,blocking in several houses daily with the 6r7 big cars that were there daily,threatened several people some scared to leave there house.the houses near them had there blinds closed all evening when youd drive past to pretend they werent home,and beating each other up on the street in daylight,guards called daily, posting my opinion on them would probably get me banned. they also urinated and worse in the garden. and the house is being gutted now cause its ruined. neighbours you call them? ha laughable

That's a very accurate account of what we had to put up with alright, however, those living on either side of them had to put up the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

This should be posted in the what makes waterford the best county in Ireland to live in i suppose?

im pretty sure its a countrywide problem not just waterford,the fairways is one of the nicest,quietest estates around and has been for years and thanks to those 'people' gone it is again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Sully wrote: »
    Should this not be in the Kilkenny forum?!
    Only when it suit's them.I actually thought Ferrybank was a halting site.

marlin vs wrote: »

Very intelligent post mate, "NOT" which has earned you an infraction, if you've nothing decent to post, don't bother posting anything at all.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Very intelligent post mate, which has earned you an infraction, if you've nothing decent to post, don't bother posting anything at all.
    If it's intelligent,why the infraction?mate.And what does an infraction entail, and im not being smart its an honest question.

Obviously I left out the "Not" Regarding your infraction, have a read of this thread,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77808121

Obviously I left out the "Not" Regarding your infraction, have a read of this thread,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77808121
    Not a bother looks like I hit on a sensitive note maybe I should have put a smiley behind my post as it was done in jest, especially when im from Ferrybank.

Not a bother looks like I hit on a sensitive note maybe I should have put a smiley behind my post as it was done in jest, especially when im from Ferrybank.

Well the absence of that smiley would certainly have made a difference. I just read it and took it at face value that you were having a dig at Ferrybank and the people living over there.

• Advertisement

Im surprised there hasnt been anybody on here giving a point of view from travellers, You cant tar them all with the same brush.

Theres been some very strong comments on here about thefts and its been blamed on the entire traveller community, They can be very misunderstood and get blamed for all sorts

Im surprised there hasnt been anybody on here giving a point of view from travellers, You cant tar them all with the same brush.

Theres been some very strong comments on here about thefts and its been blamed on the entire traveller community, They can be very misunderstood and get blamed for all sorts

wow.....

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mefynn

I dont live in Ferrybank or anywhere near it but i can sympathise with those people who do,in my area we had a family for 18 months,private renting,the landlord ignored all complaints,2 misreable christmasses when they drank 24/7,wrecked cars fought in the streets and when the guards came there were so many of them you couldnt identify who did what,eventually it got so bad the guards traced the land lord to his new address through his car reg which we managed to get after a lot of trouble,they insisted that he evict them and gave their assistance,we are like new people since we can sleep at night but please dont ever let us be back there again.day and night it went on and the intimadation to the residents was unreal,standing at the door throwing the empty bottles at windows cars roofs etc.my heart goes out to you

mefynn wrote: »
    I dont live in Ferrybank or anywhere near it but i can sympathise with those people who do,in my area we had a family for 18 months,private renting,the landlord ignored all complaints,2 misreable christmasses when they drank 24/7,wrecked cars fought in the streets and when the guards came there were so many of them you couldnt identify who did what,eventually it got so bad the guards traced the land lord to his new address through his car reg which we managed to get after a lot of trouble,they insisted that he evict them and gave their assistance,we are like new people since we can sleep at night but please dont ever let us be back there again.day and night it went on and the intimadation to the residents was unreal,standing at the door throwing the empty bottles at windows cars roofs etc.my heart goes out to you

Ring joe duffy then, everytime i hear liveline they dont allow a bad word to be said about travellers and that its only a bad few who are bringing down the good name of travellers, The problem seems to be that government allow one set of laws for one section of a comunity and a completely different set of laws for another, How do you get car insurance when you dont have a fixed abode? how do you have a driving licence when you dont have an address written on the licence? I think there has been too much lee way given to travellers and when you get everything handed to you you dont appreciated it, I saw a man in Lisduggan car park van was accross 3 parking spaces he was very large with jewellery covering both his hands, he was then beating the female passenger black and blue it was one of the worst things ive witnessed in all my life, but nobody would dare go up and get involved, the woman then got out and when the van moved off she ran up and said sorry sorry let me back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

Very intelligent post mate, "NOT" which has earned you an infraction, if you've nothing decent to post, don't bother posting anything at all.

Bit harsh when the thread is entitled "ferrybank being turned into halting site"...

It was clearly in jest- Just as well mods aren't armed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,847 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I said it above, and i'll say it again, travellers are the exception to the rule that the few spoil the many, there may be sound travellers out there, but the majority are criminals, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Anyone up for a spot of the old ethnic cleansing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

I said it above, and i'll say it again, travellers are the exception to the rule that the few spoil the many, there may be sound travellers out there, but the majority are criminals, simple.

About time someone said it, There is probably a few ok ones here and there but the vast majority are bad. They dont care about human rights or discrimination, they just use it as a guise to hide behind. There whole culture has evolved around crime. I'm guessing 85%-90% are criminals in one form or another. Now you can bash me with statistics and minority statements or otherwise, you can even tell me that there are plenty of non-travellers involved in crime too, but until I see a traveller actually contributing to society I wont be changing my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

About time someone said it? People have been shouting it from this forum for years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Modding on this forum is hilarious. Fella makes a joke about Ferrybank being one big halting site, gets a red card and infraction. I'm not even sure what a red card is!

Another fella raises the option of exterminating all the travellers, mods don't bat an eyelid! :D

Advertisement