Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrybank being turned into halting site

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

About time someone said it? People have been shouting it from this forum for years!

Only a member with a few months boy, can not account for what has been said or not said on this website over the last few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Sound boy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Dan133269 wrote: »
    Modding on this forum is hilarious. Fella makes a joke about Ferrybank being one big halting site, gets a red card and infraction. I'm not even sure what a red card is!

Another fella raises the option of exterminating all the travellers, mods don't bat an eyelid! :D
    Well said Dan it's probably all about who you are or who you know.I better put in a smiley.adolf.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Getting this into the national media & embarrasssing KK co council into stopping it might be the only thing to do.

snaky carry on!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Dan133269 wrote: »
    Modding on this forum is hilarious. Fella makes a joke about Ferrybank being one big halting site, gets a red card and infraction. I'm not even sure what a red card is!

Another fella raises the option of exterminating all the travellers, mods don't bat an eyelid! :D

The reason nothing was done about it was that no one bloody reported the post, us mods dont spend 24/7 on here,if you have a problem with a particular post, use the report button.

And as you brought it up, Yes an infraction will indeed be given to that user. I can only speak for myself, regarding that post you make reference to, had I have seen it before now, it would have been dealt with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

It was me. I'm guilty as charged. Infraction received. Ethnic cleansing is no joke.

And I would just like to take a minute to apologise to any travellers reading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭tobey

longshanks wrote: »
    And I would just like to take a minute to apologise to any travellers reading this.

i get the joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

longshanks wrote: »

You can't say that !!priestj.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Problems with the travellers down at Abbeylands seem to have come to a head this morning. Local residents and business owners and the gardai all out on the road with the gardai warring.

Just got a call from a friend who has just opened up down there.

Apparently the travellers were moved on 2 weeks ago and returned and carried on with their previous behaviour and the business owners and residents kept complaining to the council and the gardai about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

It's a mess over there, the empty shopping centre is becoming run down looking, weeds all over the pavements.
    The round about outside the place has made the front page of the Waterford today,
    It's over grown and unkept,
    Killkenny county council would want to get their act together, it's a disgrace not the first impression visitors need of Waterford.
    Iv said it before and I'll say it again, it's sabotage !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭flutered

deres one good pub there, thats all i can say about the place, i do miss the ferry pub tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Problems with the travellers down at Abbeylands seem to have come to a head this morning. Local residents and business owners and the gardai all out on the road with the gardai warring.

Just got a call from a friend who has just opened up down there.

Apparently the travellers were moved on 2 weeks ago and returned and carried on with their previous behaviour and the business owners and residents kept complaining to the council and the gardai about it.

Guards are scared of them, the council in question (KK) dont give a sh1te as it's not on their doorstep. They have RUINED the lives of people living in one of the estates down there.

In the past week they have walked into the various units and said "how much to close?" and "give us x amount of your product/service and we'll leave".

This morning they put one of their caravans across the entrance to the business park so all of the business owners and about 40 residents ended up out on the road ready to take them on. The gardai made no arrests whatsoever, despite the fact that there are apparently numerous warrants out for these same travellers, and they moved them on... just down the bottom of the hill to return whenever they want basically.

A friend of mine just moved into one of the units there and it is seriously affecting his business.

The business owners have been ringing the council (I don't care which council, they're all the bloody same) non-stop over the past month and they have had zero involvement in the matter.

But I'm sure this is all part of their "culture".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

In the past week they have walked into the various units and said "how much to close?" and "give us x amount of your product/service and we'll leave".

This morning they put one of their caravans across the entrance to the business park so all of the business owners and about 40 residents ended up out on the road ready to take them on. The gardai made no arrests whatsoever, despite the fact that there are apparently numerous warrants out for these same travellers, and they moved them on... just down the bottom of the hill to return whenever they want basically.

A friend of mine just moved into one of the units there and it is seriously affecting his business.

The business owners have been ringing the council (I don't care which council, they're all the bloody same) non-stop over the past month and they have had zero involvement in the matter.

I wouldn't stand for that. I would get the names of the Gardaí and report them to the Garda Ombudsman.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I wouldn't stand for that. I would get the names of the Gardaí and report them to the Garda Ombudsman.

No idea who the gardai were, there was a load of them though so presumably from Ferrybank and then Ballybricken as well to back them up. Can't speak for anyone involved as to what they intend to do as regards the gardai's reluctance to make any arrests.

No idea who the gardai were, there was a load of them though so presumably from Ferrybank and then Ballybricken as well to back them up. Can't speak for anyone involved as to what they intend to do as regards the gardai's reluctance to make any arrests.

Did the gardaí take any statements? If you want them to do anything for you these days you have to push them for it otherwise they'll try and fob you off with any excuse.

Did the gardaí take any statements? If you want them to do anything for you these days you have to push them for it otherwise they'll try and fob you off with any excuse.

They went around to the business owners afterwards and I'm not going to say what was said as I'm sure a few will reply with something along the lines of "our upstanding force of law abiding gardai would never utter such a thing". As I said I can't speak for anyone involved as to what they intend to do.

The attitude of the gardai when they were there was more or less "sure there's nothing we can do, these people will do whatever they like regardless".

They went around to the business owners afterwards and I'm not going to say what was said as I'm sure a few will reply with something along the lines of "our upstanding force of law abiding gardai would never utter such a thing". As I said I can't speak for anyone involved as to what they intend to do.

I would really like to know what they said but if you don't want to say, that's fine.
    The attitude of the gardai when they were there was more or less "sure there's nothing we can do, these people will do whatever they like regardless".

And it's that attitude that creates the problems in the first place or at least allows them to fester.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Probably told them to give the travellers what they want. Thats the least hassle for them (and wouldnt be the 1st time ive heard them give that advice)

Probably told them to give the travellers what they want. Thats the least hassle for them (and wouldnt be the 1st time ive heard them give that advice)

It's not the first time I heard that either. I do not know why people who are giving this advice don't go public about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

It's not the first time I heard that either. I do not know why people who are giving this advice don't go public about it.

Some try but regular people dont have dedicated lobby groups ready to whinge at the 1st sign of something going against them

Some try but regular people dont have dedicated lobby groups ready to whinge at the 1st sign of something going against them

I would have thought that most business owners are members of the Small Firms Asocciation?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Pipe bombs, knee capping, petrol bombs, kidnappings and AK47s were part of our culture not so long ago.

Perhaps we should bring that part of our "culture" back?

Nah, "give them what they're asking for" was used but not in that sense.
    the_syco wrote: »
    Pipe bombs, knee capping, petrol bombs, kidnappings and AK47s were part of our culture not so long ago.

Perhaps we should bring that part of our "culture" back?

Perhaps violence is the only response if the gardai are unwilling to help. I mean if you go the legal route and involve the gardai and the gardai don't help but you still need to protect your business, what do you do?

Perhaps violence is the only response if the gardai are unwilling to help. I mean if you go the legal route and involve the gardai and the gardai don't help but you still need to protect your business, what do you do?

Make it public, complain and kick up. Also the business owners over there should band together and take no sh1te from criminals (travellers) and public sector spongers (gardaí who are well paid may I add).

Make it public, complain and kick up. Also the business owners over there should band together and take no sh1te from criminals (travellers) and public sector spongers (gardaí who are well paid may I add).

They have been doing so for I don't know how long before my friend moved in down there but since my friend moved in approximately a month ago he has been onto the council and the gardai on a regular basis. The council don't care and what really irritates me about that is that the council are the reason why he is in that particular unit but that is a story for another thread.

In fairness the business owners have banded together against the travellers, can't say anything about them banding together against the gardai, think today is only the second time the gardai have actually arrived in force to pretend to do something about the matter.

Just had a look at the form you fill out on the Garda Ombudsman page and it's so long, obviously I can't fill it out, it's up to my friend, but I think it would be an idea for all of the business owners to fill out a form like that together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Might seem flippant, but how about "talking to Joe"?

He'd just love an' oul' travellers/traders/council/Gardaí "debate" I'm sure. It would be publicity anyway...

fricatus wrote: »
    Might seem flippant, but how about "talking to Joe"?

He'd just love an' oul' travellers/traders/council/Gardaí "debate" I'm sure. It would be publicity anyway...

I have actually started typing up an e-mail account of what has gone on and I'm going to show it to my friend and see if he wants to contact Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rebelblaa

Where to start. First of all i can understand the frustration of the local residents and business people in the local area who are subjected to this behaviour from members of the travelling community. Secondly I would like to express my frustration at the inactivity of the Kilkenny County Council in dealing with this matter. The buck stops with the council who's sole responsibility it is in dealing with this matter. I believe that knocking the Gardai who attended at the scene is an absolute disgrace. Classing Gardai and Public Sector works as "spongers" makes you sound ignorant. Gardai have no power to remove caravans from public places. Plain and simple. Can i ask the posters what they wanted the Gardai to arrest the travellers for?? I'm sure if any warrants were there for these travellers Gardai would have acted accordingly. I think local residents and businesses would be better off lobbying their local politicans and county council rather than snipping at Gardai who are only doing their best whilst working with limited resources and within the constraints of the legal system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

rebelblaa wrote: »
    Where to start. First of all i can understand the frustration of the local residents and business people in the local area who are subjected to this behaviour from members of the travelling community. Secondly I would like to express my frustration at the inactivity of the Kilkenny County Council in dealing with this matter. The buck stops with the council who's sole responsibility it is in dealing with this matter. I believe that knocking the Gardai who attended at the scene is an absolute disgrace. Classing Gardai and Public Sector works as "spongers" makes you sound ignorant. Gardai have no power to remove caravans from public places. Plain and simple. Can i ask the posters what they wanted the Gardai to arrest the travellers for?? I'm sure if any warrants were there for these travellers Gardai would have acted accordingly. I think local residents and businesses would be better off lobbying their local politicans and county council rather than snipping at Gardai who are only doing their best whilst working with limited resources and within the constraints of the legal system.[

Could the co council come along at night and just paint two yellow lines on the stretch of road where the travellers are parked. This would make it illegal to park there and give the gardai or whoever the right to tow away the caravans in the morning.Problem solved.

Advertisement