Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrybank being turned into halting site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rebelblaa

Very true! Common sense prevails!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

The council have refused to get involved, they have been contacted every single day since my friend moved into his unit there (and I'm sure before that too) and they seem to have no intention of getting involved, proven by their complete inaction.

The warrants relate to the travellers littering (throwing waste onto the road that has attracted rodents), intimidating and threatening behaviour towards the business owners (as well as getting into a physical confrontation with a number of them), among other matters - are these not things for the gardai to deal with?

Gardai do have the power to remove caravans from public places. They did it two weeks ago and then the travellers returned.

You believe knocking the gardai who attended at the scene is a disgrace? Maybe if they had actually taken action instead of just moving the caravans (clearly they do have the power to move them on) down the road people would be a bit more supportive of their actions.

Those warrants are dealt with and held by the council. Gardai can assist council members when requested to do so. How do know such warrants exist? Are you privy to such information? Gardai only have powers to remove temporary dwellings from national routes, public amenity areas and where they are causing a direct obstruction. Can also be removed from private property. If i'm wrong can you please post a link to the relevant legistlation? Gardai cant be blaimed if the council are unwilling to take action. Its time to put more pressure on the council to take action. The people of South Kilkenny seem to be an after thought when it comes to the big wigs in KK county council. Less Garda bashing and more council bashing please :)

rebelblaa wrote: »
    Those warrants are dealt with and held by the council. Gardai can assist council members when requested to do so. How do know such warrants exist? Are you privy to such information? Gardai only have powers to remove temporary dwellings from national routes, public amenity areas and where they are causing a direct obstruction. Can also be removed from private property. If i'm wrong can you please post a link to the relevant legistlation? Gardai cant be blaimed if the council are unwilling to take action. Its time to put more pressure on the council to take action. The people of South Kilkenny seem to be an after thought when it comes to the big wigs in KK county council. Less Garda bashing and more council bashing please :)

Obviously I am privy to the information, why else would I be concerning myself with it?

"Gardai only have powers to remove temporary dwellings from national routes, public amenity areas and where they are causing a direct obstruction. Can also be removed from private property. If i'm wrong can you please post a link to the relevant legistlation?" - why do you think you're wrong? They were causing a direct obstruction, that's why they were moved on.

Nobody is blaming the gardai because the council won't take action, people are dissatisfied with the actions of the gardai because they have done nothing to deal with matters that they are responsible for.

I'm pretty sure both the council and the gardai are getting equal "bashing" on this thread - well deserved in both cases.

How often have you seen council staff dealing with the travellers at the roadside? You keep complaining about the Gardai?? Are the Travellers still on that road? Are they still causing a nuisance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Im surprised there hasnt been anybody on here giving a point of view from travellers, You cant tar them all with the same brush.

Theres been some very strong comments on here about thefts and its been blamed on the entire traveller community, They can be very misunderstood and get blamed for all sorts

for **** sake. i hope they move beside your house and we will see if your still spouting this utter tosh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I believe that knocking the Gardai who attended at the scene is an absolute disgrace. Classing Gardai and Public Sector works as "spongers" makes you sound ignorant.

The gardai have a job to do and did not do it when called to the scene. Incidentally, you do know it is a crime for a garda not to take action when a crime is reported to him.

Gardai have no power to remove caravans from public places. Plain and simple. Can i ask the posters what they wanted the Gardai to arrest the travellers for?? I'm sure if any warrants were there for these travellers Gardai would have acted accordingly.

The travellers could have been arrested for obstructing a public roadway, using threatening and abusive behaviour and language and extortion or somesuch.
    I think local residents and businesses would be better off lobbying their local politicans and county council rather than snipping at Gardai who are only doing their best whilst working with limited resources and within the constraints of the legal system.

No, we have plenty of laws in place to deal with this. It is no good if these laws are not being used. It is also not the first time I know of gardai giving out to people who have rang them for assistance when it comes to travellers.

We are all equal before the law and it applies to us all. Or at least it should do anyway. Maybe if we show travellers some respect by arresting them when they break the law, they might start behaving appropriately.

How often have you seen council staff dealing with the travellers at the roadside? You keep complaining about the Gardai?? Are the Travellers still on that road? Are they still causing a nuisance?

I don't really care about any other situation other than the one I am posting about and the council have had no involvement in the situation. Yes, I do keep complaining about the gardai and that will continue until they actually take some action. The travellers are still on that road and yes, they are still causing a nuisance.

I don't really care about any other situation other than the one I am posting about and the council have had no involvement in the situation. Yes, I do keep complaining about the gardai and that will continue until they actually take some action. The travellers are still on that road and yes, they are still causing a nuisance.

Can I ask what actual action you want them to take?

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    The gardai have a job to do and did not do it when called to the scene. Incidentally, you do know it is a crime for a garda not to take action when a crime is reported to him.

The travellers could have been arrested for obstructing a public roadway, using threatening and abusive behaviour and language and extortion or somesuch.

No, we have plenty of laws in place to deal with this. It is no good if these laws are not being used. It is also not the first time I know of gardai giving out to people who have rang them for assistance when it comes to travellers.

We are all equal before the law and it applies to us all. Or at least it should do anyway. Maybe if we show travellers some respect by arresting them when they break the law, they might start behaving appropriately.

Were you present during all this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Were you present during all this?

Were you?
    Can I ask what actual action you want them to take?

How about implementing the law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Somebody needs to give those dirty f*ckers what they deserve and stop all the pussy footing around. The majority of travellers are scum and they get away with everything while any law abiding person will get put in jail or fined for the silliest of things. They are clearly causing trouble over there and the guards wont do a thing which is a disgrace so if the guards wont do what they are paid to do then what the f*ck are the folks that are being harassed meant to do, i say lynch up the f*uckers and drive them out of it by force.

I know the PC brigade will give out about any mention against any aggressive behaviour and im sure i might just be banned or given an infraction or whatever by the boards police do but hey who gives a **** the real issue is what those people have to deal with when the guards wont even deal with the travellers. Its a bloody shame decent folk have to put up with that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Rebelblaa the guards treat them differently because they are scared of them and you can't really blame them. They don't have the same fear of prison or a conviction that your average law abiding citizen does. There is no deterrent to these people.

I personally saw two travellers get out of a jeep outside the courthouse when a big case was on recently and walk to the gates with machete style weapons. The four armed guards on the gates and about 10 other guards approached them and basically told them to feck off and get back in your jeep. I will never understand why the were not arrested for carrying a weapon/intent to harm/threathing behavoir or something along those lines

If I walk down the road with a machete I'm going to be in trouble. If they do it in full view of dozens of cops they get told to go away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Difference is if you get arrested you won't have about 50 of your relatives attack the people that got you arrested.
    The travelling community that commit crimes need to be treated like an organised criminal gang and use the same tactics used on gangs in other countries for anything to dramatically change.Either that or make it harder for people with out a fixed address to claim social welfare, although that might have the undesired effect of driving up crime rates.
    I say legalise and maybe make abortion mandatory in certain cases.See a big difference in about 10 or 15 years with crime rates ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

Passed up Rockshire Road about 20mins ago and there's two caravans parked up opposite the nursing home - have these moved from Abbey Lands?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

GrandBlaa wrote: »
    Passed up Rockshire Road about 20mins ago and there's two caravans parked up opposite the nursing home - have these moved from Abbey Lands?

There is a 3rd one up by the golf links and four or five more down on the old n25 by gouldings / autobolands

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im not going mad then. More and more are appearing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,847 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

There seriously needs to be a new law introduced that allows the Gardai to demand immediate removal from any public property. Want to live in a caravan? Then rent a space like anyone else!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

There seriously needs to be a new law introduced that allows the Gardai to demand immediate removal from any public property. Want to live in a caravan? Then rent a space like anyone else!!! :mad:

Laws. Travellers make their own laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

Jambo wrote: »
    There is a 3rd one up by the golf links and four or five more down on the old n25 by gouldings / autobolands

Ahh didn't see the third one, only was heading into Blackthorn Hills :cool:

I know there's a lot of 'posh' types living around there who won't stand for this sort of thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The guys in the caravans by the nursing home are related to the guys in Crystaldom afaik.

They were trying to put up a fence there a few weeks ago possible with a view to putting more caravans behind it, but they were thwarted.

Notice they always stay on the Kilkenny side of the border as they are then classed as residents in the area and stay on the housing list for the area. They are looking to basically be given there own estate at this stage and keep turning down houses as unsuitable.

thomasm wrote: »
    Notice they always stay on the Kilkenny side of the border as they are then classed as residents in the area and stay on the housing list for the area. They are looking to basically be given there own estate at this stage and keep turning down houses as unsuitable.

Thought you could only turn down 2 and thats it?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mick111112

Saw a post on facebook today saying that Kilkenny county council are looking to turn that old red brick house on the abbey park road into a halting site, hope its not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Without Traveller Bashing or Being accused of been racist - I cant understand for the life of me why settled people must respect the traditions the customs and values of a Traveller , but yet the travelling folk cannot do like wise with settled community and respect their way of life and traditions.

Would they like if I pulled up outside their home ,left my washing to dry on their property ? left my rubbish scattered near their doorstep and went to the toilet in non designated facilities close to your work or house?

I know you may argue that they would not care and that they would not mind you doing this to them as this is what they are used to doing themselves but in my opinion to earn respect, the respect must be mutual and is a two way process.

I for one do not have any issues living next door to a traveller or any other minority community as long as they are decent, law abiding and self respecting citizens whom want to live with and respect the modern values of living in a modern socitey and have full and mutual respect for their neighbours</rant>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

We live in a modern era every mobile phone has the ability to record and take photos, If you see a mess left behind or just bad behaviour record it and stick it up on you tube, I think that the level of political correctness when it comes to this topic have gone to an extreme level.

On the whole ive never had good experiences with travellers and thats the way i see them on the whole, People say one thing in public or on sites like this but in private its a different story!

In the media and on Joe Duffy they speak as if theres no negatives surrounding travellers, if they pulled up and parked outside his home in Clontarf im sure hed be inviting them in for tea.

mick111112 wrote: »
    Saw a post on facebook today saying that Kilkenny county council are looking to turn that old red brick house on the abbey park road into a halting site, hope its not true.

Is this the one across the road from Fiodh Mor Estate, the entrance is all blocked up ironically to keep the travellers horses out

thomasm wrote: »
    Is this the one across the road from Fiodh Mor Estate, the entrance is all blocked up ironically to keep the travellers horses out

Yeah its all smashed up. Wonder who did that?

House is empty for about 10 years, general neglect and vandalisim of the years I think. Can see no planning notice re above claim

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

Ah jaysus. Just move the scum on...

Advertisement