Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrybank being turned into halting site

Options
  • 17-05-2012 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Is anybody else from Ferrybank sick of Kilkenny County Council housing travellers in private housing estates in Ferrybank. It's disgraceful the way the residents of the abbey road area are being subjected to travellers turning the area into a halting site. If I parked up a caravan on the side of the road the guards and the council wouldn't be long in moving me. Everybody in the area should be complaining to the housing office in Kilkenny co co about it, and especially to Phil Hogans office as he is the minister responsible.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Should this not be in the Kilkenny forum?!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭somahoney74

Sully wrote: »
    Should this not be in the Kilkenny forum?!

Is Ferrybank not part of Waterford City, or did I miss the handover??

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Ferrybank is in Kilkenny

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Is Ferrybank not part of Waterford City, or did I miss the handover??

Well you mentioned Kilkenny Co. Co. a few times so I just assumed if they were involved its in their back yard. Not Waterford. :) Plus a chunk of Ferrybank is in Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Let's be honest here...most people on the KK forum don't even know what a "ferrybank" is.

That large chunk of ferrybank you're talking about, overlooks Waterford City. If this was a forum for applying for planning permission, I'd be inclined to agree with ya...however, a larger percentage of this forum, including me, are from ferrybank and would also consider themselves to be Waterford people.

• Advertisement

Let's be honest here...most people on the KK forum don't even know what a "ferrybank" is.

That large chunk of ferrybank you're talking about, overlooks Waterford City. If this was a forum for applying for planning permission, I'd be inclined to agree with ya...however, a larger percentage of this forum, including me, are from ferrybank and would also consider themselves to be Waterford people.

But technically, your a Kilkenny man. :p

Up da cats!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Shhhhh I don't live in the city either.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

and especially to Phil Hogans office as he is the minister responsible.

wonder what kind of welcome he would expect from them... considering they are in Kilkenny like

and especially to Phil Hogans office as he is the minister responsible.

wonder what kind of welcome he would expect from them... considering they are in Kilkenny like

My whole point is Kilkenny county council are delighted to be housing all these travellers in Ferrybank, as far as they are concerned its best of both worlds, they look like they are doing a great job at housing travellers. As far as they ate concerned Ferrybank is in Waterford city, they don't provide any services whatsoever and we, the residents who have paid good money for our homes, in private estates, are left high and dry, with no hope of ever selling them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

ziedth wrote: »

Sh*te, there onto us! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

My whole point is Kilkenny county council are delighted to be housing all these travellers in Ferrybank, as far as they are concerned its best of both worlds, they look like they are doing a great job at housing travellers. As far as they ate concerned Ferrybank is in Waterford city, they don't provide any services whatsoever and we, the residents who have paid good money for our homes, in private estates, are left high and dry, with no hope of ever selling them.

Would explain why more and more seem to be appearing around the city.
    /goes to burn down Kilkenny CoCo offices

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I've always thought the appropriate solution to the Waterford-Kilkenny border "dispute"* was to actually ask the people who live in the affected area!

* This is the ridiculous way I've heard this referred to, in a long line of ridiculous language used to describe something that in other countries would simply be a routine local-authority boundary revision, necessitated by population growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I dont know of any travellers actually living in houses on the abbey road. The caravans are illegally parked in Christendom and like last year a few other caravans are parked on the road for the summer.

The residents of Christendom had the extra caravans removed last year, no help from any co. council.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I dont know of any travellers actually living in houses on the abbey road. The caravans are illegally parked in Christendom and like last year a few other caravans are parked on the road for the summer.

The residents of Christendom had the extra caravans removed last year, no help from any co. council.

There are numerous members of the same family housed in Christendom Fiodh Mor and Leaca Ard. One family with 9 children were housed in a 3 bed semi. As the accommodation was unsuitable Kilkenny co co purchased the house next door also and are now in the process of joining both houses together. They now have the largest house in the whole of Ferrybank, in a private housing estate. Provided courtesy of the taxpayer. The caravans on the abbey road are members of the same family also looking for the same generosity from Kilkenny coco. The caravans were only removed last year, after contact was made with the Taoiseach and phil hogans office detailing Kilkenny coco's failure to have them removed. These families should be housed in council owned social housing estates not privately owned housing estates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

ur missing the point, new housing estates have to have a percentage of houses allocated for social housing so technically it aint a private housing estate

ur missing the point, new housing estates have to have a percentage of houses allocated for social housing so technically it aint a private housing estate

Kilkenny County Council received over 7 million in payments from the developers of the estates as per planning law, to avoid having to include social housing within these estates, the council was supposed to build their own social housing with this money. Kilkenny County Council built no housing and failed to use any of the money in this area. No parks, playgrounds etc.
    Houses were sold in these estates with the understanding that social housing wasnt included. Kilkenny coco are purchasing these houses privately with a special fund especially for travellers. These are the only people being housed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I don't think that's correct. The developer of the private housing state could pay money to the council in lieu of social housing.*

* I think anyways.

ETA: I see Soma beat me too it.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

ziedth wrote: »

Nor do I :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

Travellers are free to rent houses anywhere they like and get rent allowance just like the settled people. Its not always the councils fault when they move into an estate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Unfortunately, this is life. You buying or renting a house does not secure who your neighbours will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Kk co.c seem to be a very lax disorganised bunch, who seem to see ferrybank as some sort of experiment, as long as its not on their door step they don't seem to care.
    Push out the boundaries and leave WCC take control, include Tramore aswell it's really looking run down out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

It’s not just the abbey road they are doing this, they have housed 2 families in the Fairways on the Rockshire Road and more up on the estate on the top of the same road opposite Rosario Nursing home. The also spent 150k on renovating a house in Kilmacow for another family which was subsequently burnt down as they were not wanted in the area.

Kilkenny county council dont give a damn about Ferrybank and see it as a dumping ground for their problems and whatever quotas they must be seen to fill. I have also been told that travelers are likely to win this case for ethnic minority status which means that the would have to be provided with additional services consistent with their culture, hopefully this does not means stables being built for them !!!

wmpdd3 wrote: »

There are 3 familes in Christendom and 2 in Fiodh Mor that I know of.

Kilkenny County Council received over 7 million in payments from the developers of the estates as per planning law, to avoid having to include social housing within these estates, the council was supposed to build their own social housing with this money. Kilkenny County Council built no housing and failed to use any of the money in this area. No parks, playgrounds etc.
    Houses were sold in these estates with the understanding that social housing wasnt included. Kilkenny coco are purchasing these houses privately with a special fund especially for travellers. These are the only people being housed.

This is the worst part of it all, on top of what negative equity someone may have after the market crashed your house has zero value if they move in near you

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

thomasm wrote: »
    It’s not just the abbey road they are doing this, they have housed 2 families in the Fairways on the Rockshire Road, !!!

Actually, it was just the one house that was occupied in The Fairways, and that was a private rental agreement between the traveller family and the landlord. They could well have been two families living within that property ok.

They have since been evicted via a court order and the property is actually in the process of been cleaned up to be put back on the rental market at present.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Actually, it was just the one house that was occupied in The Fairways, and that was a private rental agreement between the traveller family and the landlord. They could well have been two families living within that property ok.

They have since been evicted via a court order and the property is actually in the process of been cleaned up to be put back on the rental market at present.

I was pretty sure there were two houses from talking to friends who live there but you may well be correct

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

And have any of these families in ferrybank contributed to any of the anti-social behavior going on around or is it just you don't like them as neighbours?

They're forever making you tube videos in their gardens and it's very unsettling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

They're forever making you tube videos in their gardens and it's very unsettling.

What sort of shenigans are they getting up to that makes it unsettling?

Advertisement