Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

lotusm wrote: »
    Thanks for that but what was the actual profit for 2016

€7.3m before tax, €6.42m after tax

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Neworder79

yew_tree wrote: »
    Not sure on Knock but the terminal can get very cramped at peak times with four gates practically side by side. I believe there are plans to expand

Seem to remember a design capacity of 800,000 being mentioned when the terminal was last extended back in 2008.

Current configuration isn't helping, ticket hall area is largely wasted as 90% of passengers using eTicketing funnel straight into congested departures lounge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Neworder79 wrote: »
    Seem to remember a design capacity of 800,000 being mentioned when the terminal was last extended back in 2008.

Current configuration isn't helping, ticket hall area is largely wasted as 90% of passengers using eTicketing funnel straight into congested departures lounge.

And have to pay that outrageous departure charge to fund their development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Storm 10 wrote: »
    And have to pay that outrageous departure charge to fund their development.

Hardly outrageous to pay a tenner to keep a facility going that's of massive benefit to the region. If you had to go to Dublin/Shannon/Belfast instead you'd pay a lot more than a tenner in fuel to get there, the flights are generally more expensive and you'll pay more for parking.

I like most people I know in the area are more than happy to pay the €10 when it's going to keep the place open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The gripe is having to pay on departure and not being included in the ticket.

Then there is the unequal treatment, charters to pilgrimages don't pay...

• Advertisement

I get the gripe, but if it was included on the ticket would it really matter? The reason airlines will use regional airports like Knock are because they're so cheap for them and if there was a tenner added to them they would be less inclined to use them. As for pilgrimages not having to pay, I wasn't aware of that. Yeah I guess that sucks but given the airports history it's unsurprising and doesn't bother me so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

I think it is explained when booking your ticket with the airline that there is a separate €10 Euro fee on departure. So the passenger is fully aware of the charge at booking so it's no surprise really. Like what has been said by commentators before on numerous occasions, it's nothing to pay if you have to travel to Dublin or Shannon and the hours saved on road travel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

This was discussed before but it was Ryanair’s point blank refusal to pay any more fees to airport that stated the whole tenner on departure set up we have today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭plodder

There's a long running discussion about this on Tripadvisor. Someone recently went through the motions of booking a Ryanair flight to Knock, and they weren't informed of it. What concerns me most about it, is not that local people know about it (and understandably accept it) but foreign visitors don't, and it's the last thing they remember about the country when leaving to go home. It's obvious the right solution is for it to be added to the per pax fee paid by the airline because then it is factored into people's plans up front when they book the trip. For a family of four (say) with two children over 12, it's €40. Not to be sneezed at.

It should only be for adults now that I would agree with.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Just north of doodletown. I'd go there for the name alone.

Shn99 wrote: »

I think this is great news( it's only a email but something must be happening in the near term) Why the negative comments. Anything that brings a more direct route into the west is good for passengers from America and passengers in the region here going state side. I don't seriously think Dublin or Shannon airports have anything worry about. It will be the airline that ultimately decides if it's viable and no better man than Joe Gilmore to get the deal done.

I think this is great news( it's only a email but something must be happening in the near term) Why the negative comments. Anything that brings a more direct route into the west is good for passengers from America and passengers in the region here going state side. I don't seriously think Dublin or Shannon airports have anything worry about. It will be the airline that ultimately decides if it's viable and no better man than Joe Gilmore to get the deal done.

But who’s going to use it? The nuns from the convent over the road?

( it's only a email but something must be happening in the near term)

This is where I'd strongly disagree, and where experience comes into play. Down through the past few years I've seen the most bizzare articles come from most Irish airports about where they'd like to get routes to, with no actual grounding other than it's one of their aims. Knock can aim for a route to China if it wants (Shannon was once laughably mentioned as getting a route to China in the near future), but it won't get it!

That what they said when the airport open first. lame joke by the way. 😂

Shannion Troll, what a surprise:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just to point out, it's actually "Shannon" :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

There’s no need for trying to engage with or respond to a troll

• Advertisement

Im not a troll, just pointing out the obvious! Knock will be a long time waiting for a USA service

CAA UK Stats for July are out (provisional)
    caajuly18KNOCK.PNG

Looks like neither Bristol or Liverpool suffered from the addition of the Shannon service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

There is certainly a larger population in the Rhein-Ruhr conurbation than in Hahn/Hunsrück so hopefully the route works

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Strange one... Knock don't have a history of successful German flights! Thought that Kerry would have been a better match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭6541

I really recommend folk get onto this. The Rhine and Moselle valley route is a great break, Loads of good stuff to see on this route.

6541 wrote: »
    I really recommend folk get onto this. The Rhine and Moselle valley route is a great break, Loads of good stuff to see on this route.

Cologne is a fair way away from Mosel Valley. The route to Hahn was just beside but there were practically no Germans on the Knock/Hahn route so it failed despite 40 euro return fares. No passengers from Connaught, No passengers from Rheinland-Pfalz so empty planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭6541

rivegauche wrote: »
    Cologne is a fair way away from Mosel Valley. The route to Hahn was just beside but there were practically no Germans on the Knock/Hahn route so it failed despite 40 euro return fares. No passengers from Connaught, No passengers from Rheinland-Pfalz so empty planes.

Apologies I must be getting confused regarding airports. So anything you recommend to do or see around Cologne.

• Advertisement

6541 wrote: »
    Apologies I must be getting confused regarding airports. So anything you recommend to do or see around Cologne.

Koelner Dom.
    I hear they have a big brothel too but I've never been.

Advertisement