Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Locker10a wrote: »
    Thanks great Info there. Will be interesting f to see what Flybe come up with in terms of scheduling, I assume the Gatwick will remain as present

I'd say Gatwick will stay, Flybe could cut EDI down a little, but with Flybe you never know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

HI guys, quick question for you on the Xmas schedule for Knock this year.
    I seem to remember last year that during Christmas week some airlines increased their number of flights to cater for the Christmas travel.
    Please correct me if I am wrong but I'm sure that on 2/3 days last year Christmas week the Gatwick flight went double daily and the same around new years etc.
    However this year I notice there are no additional flights, will the schedule change? Do you think additional capacity will be added this year for Christmas as per previous years ?
    If so how soon do you think this might happen? The prices for flight home Xmas week are already very expensive which normally indicates high demand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Impressive.

Nothing new for this year I understand, but retaining the growth already made is the most important part.

I don't really see a tonne more growth happening any time soon. They must be close to maximum numbers by now given there's no large population nearby. I know people will come from Derry and Donegal in the North and South Galway below it but even that growth must be nearly maxxed out.

• Advertisement

Suppose Derry airport is the one to watch, if it doesn't manage to secure a London service it could drive more growth to Knock.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Suppose Derry airport is the one to watch, if it doesn't manage to secure a London service it could drive more growth to Knock.

I was on a flight to Lanzarote (iirc) a while back and there was a family from Derry there. They were telling me that it was just so much cheaper for them to fly from knock that it was worth the drive down to Mayo rather than the quick drive over to the International.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭irishgeo

they are now electronically scanning passports at knock.

irishgeo wrote: »
    they are now electronically scanning passports at knock.
    Thats interesting, is this on arrival ? So no gardai stationed at the airport now ?

Thats interesting, is this on arrival ? So no gardai stationed at the airport now ?

the gardai are still there they just scan each passport on to a machine , not just a brief look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

This is now policy nationwide.

Focus on non EU, but to roll out to all travelers

This is now policy nationwide.

Focus on non EU, but to roll out to all travelers
    How does it work with those of us who travel between the UK on ID ? Can you just scan your ID too

How does it work with those of us who travel between the UK on ID ? Can you just scan your ID too

Do Flybe accept drivers licence?

Jayop wrote: »
    Do Flybe accept drivers licence?

Yes

https://www.flybe.com/checkin/id-requirements.htm

As do Aer Lingus

Everyone EXCEPT ryanair accepts ID on flights between the UK and Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Everyone EXCEPT ryanair accepts ID on flights between the UK and Ireland

No you are incorrect 😀 They are specific in that the only forms of ID that they will accept are passports, passport cards and or national identity cards.

The passport card is a great idea.

I see the Gatwick flight summer timetable has been adjusted again to the late flight, much improved on the current schedule.  The exception being saturday morning when its an morning flight. I was hoping they would revert to this timetable, being able to catch a late flight back from NOC is great

Only one scheduled passenger flight today, don think I've ever seen that at Knock before!

Only one scheduled passenger flight today, don think I've ever seen that at Knock before!

everybody will be gone home by lunchtime.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

JCX BXC wrote:

What's the reason for this?

What's the reason for this?

Off peak cut. This is the quietest time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

Asking for a friend...Has anyone got pics of a Knock special???

de biz wrote: »
    Asking for a friend...Has anyone got pics of a Knock special???

Sorry no, but I've seen friends who fly into/out of knock post photos of it on social media, it's chips with a cheese/tomato toastie with either ham or chicken can't remember, comes in a take away container like you'd find in any chip shop on a Saturday night, if that helps !

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Rory Mcllroy is due to marry in Ashford Castle on Saturday with many celebrities set to attend. Can we expect some private jet traffic in Knock airport or would they use Shannon and Chopper up?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Any prospect of a Knock-Berlin service?

nuac wrote: »

It's not completely absurd, but it has no better chance than routes like Krakow, Warsaw, Brussels, Copenhagen etc.

In my opinion you won't see it any time soon.

nuac wrote: »

It's not completely absurd, but it has no better chance than routes like Krakow, Warsaw, Brussels, Copenhagen etc.

In my opinion you won't see it any time soon.
    Agreed, and if you did see it, It would probably be very seasonal and 2-3 times per week and need to be supported heavily by German tourists wishing to explore the west of Ireland. 
    Unfortunately there just wouldn't be a big enough market in Mayo and surrounding counties to support a regular service to somewhere like Berlin. 
    What I would love to see, and I do think is possible is a service to somewhere like Amsterdam that could offer serious connecting traffic. I say Amsterdam as I think KLM's regional jets would be perfect for this route and I think if it was marketed well then would be very successful. Also inbound traffic from the Netherlands would also be supportive of this service I would imagine, again with the right marketing. 
    Heathrow would be obvious choice but with it being a heavily slot restricted airport, and very expensive to operate from I can't see it happening anytime too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭VG31

What I would love to see, and I do think is possible is a service to somewhere like Amsterdam that could offer serious connecting traffic. I say Amsterdam as I think KLM's regional jets would be perfect for this route and I think if it was marketed well then would be very successful. Also inbound traffic from the Netherlands would also be supportive of this service I would imagine, again with the right marketing. 

That's definitely a possibility. KLM Cityhopper already fly to lots of small regional airports in the UK including Durham, Humberside, Norwich, Southampton and Inverness so if it can work there I don't see why it couldn't work here as well.

Did Lufthansa fly from Knock a few years ago?

• Advertisement

VG31 wrote: »
    That's definitely a possibility. KLM Cityhopper already fly to lots of small regional airports in the UK including Durham, Humberside, Norwich, Southampton and Inverness so if it can work there I don't see why it couldn't work here as well.

Did Lufthansa fly from Knock a few years ago?

KLM are a new addition to Dublin and first entry into the Irish market. It'll be a long time if ever until they go to knock in my opinion.

Lufthansa never flew from Knock, it was Germanwings flying a weekly route to Cologne.

Advertisement