Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock Airport

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Any news of a flight Knock to Berlin?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

nuac wrote: »
    Any news of a flight Knock to Berlin?
    No

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭thomil

6541 wrote: »
    Apologies I must be getting confused regarding airports. So anything you recommend to do or see around Cologne.

Definitely the Roman museum in Cologne, which is right next to Cologne Cathedral. The city itself was founded by the Romans, and the museum showcases that history in an impressive way.

If you’re into history, you might also want to check out Bonn, the former capital of West Germany, which is relatively close by. That’s also where the landscape gets more interesting. There’s quite a few train lines in the area, so you likely won’t need a car.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Phantasialand.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

flights are on a Tuesday and Saturday (departing knock early on Tuesday, afternoon on Saturday) which is good for incoming tourists from the start of June to the end of September, so more than your few weeks in mid summer which Lufthansa were doing at one stage from Dusseldorf.

Cologne itsself is not the prettiest of cities, but theres heaps to do.
    The tourist board in the area has a really well put together website.
    https://www.nrw-tourism.com/

That area was the centre of German coal and steel industries, so theres lots of industrial heritage there which for people living in rural Mayo would be an interesting contrast (and conversely, the west of ireland is attractive to people from such a densely populated place)

Still, 17million+ people within an hour or so of Cologne airport will likely be the main customer of this flight than the 100,000 odd in Mayo !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I really enjoyed Cologne when I was there. Good city.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Still, 17million+ people within an hour or so of Cologne airport will likely be the main customer of this flight than the 100,000 odd in Mayo !

Agree it's inbound focused, but there are over 800,000 living withinn hour and half of IWAK, 65% of Irish passengers originating outside Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

3 of the 4 bases which are to close in Spain have routes to Knock and it is suggested elsewhere that those routes might not survive as none of the airports will then be a base for Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I see Tenerife and Lanzarote dropped from start of January because of the base closures. I'd say they'll be missed!

I see Tenerife and Lanzarote dropped from start of January because of the base closures. I'd say they'll be missed!

This is an opportunity for NOC to really chase other carriers that have a base there. Someone like Jet2 would be a great fit as I think they have Canaries bases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

RYANAIR has confirmed that its flights from Ireland West Airport Knock to Tenerife and Lanzarote have been suspended from January to the end of March next.

The decision has been taken as a result of the airline's closure of a number of bases in the Canary Islands due to a shortage of aircraft following the grounding of all Boeing 737 Max planes.

Passengers who had booked to travel on flights from Knock to Tenerife or Lanzarote between January 2 and March 29 are being offered flights from alternative airports or a full refund.

Donal Healy, marketing manager at Ireland West Airport Knock, told Midwest Radio that airport management is hoping this suspension of flights is a temporary measure and that the services to the Canary Islands will return from Knock for next summer.

He said it was not a commercial decison as the flights in question were very popular from Knock airport for the past 10 years. 

One would wonder where the aircraft will come from to fly that route, a W rotation to the canaries isn't very workable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

JCX BXC wrote: »
    One would wonder where the aircraft will come from to fly that route, a W rotation to the canaries isn't very workable.

A 3 sector could possibly work within duty time limits with 2 a/c without any overnighting, e.g. STN-NOC-TFS-STN while another aircraft does STN-TFS-NOC-STN.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

bkehoe wrote: »
    A 3 sector could possibly work within duty time limits with 2 a/c without any overnighting, e.g. STN-NOC-TFS-STN while another aircraft does STN-TFS-NOC-STN.

Does Ryanair operate such a system.... ???

Masala wrote: »

Something like it, I recall SNN-BVA-RAK-BVA-SNN flights in the past.

That could well work, however there's likely a large amount of routes that need to be replaced. Hopefully Knock has a sufficient market to make it attractive enough to operate these flights, to Lanzarote at least.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Masala wrote: »

Extensively

The Aer Lingus Gatwick flights at Knock are already operated on such a pattern as they don't have a base in either

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

L1011 wrote: »
    Extensively

The Aer Lingus Gatwick flights at Knock are already operated on such a pattern as they don't have a base in either

The Gatwick-Knock flights are operated on a W pattern from Dublin, which consists of 4 legs. What the lads above are talking about is a Triangle, not a W pattern, 3 legs. Doubt a W pattern from any UK airports would work..or if it did the limits would leave no room for delays!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Not a chance of W routes from NOC to ACE/TFS returning. They will just stick an extra rotation at SNN and DUB if demand is there. Seasonal base at NOC unlikely to be viable either.
    Something like it, I recall SNN-BVA-RAK-BVA-SNN flights in the past

The same crew which makes it worthwhile.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Not a chance of W routes from NOC to ACE/TFS returning. They will just stick an extra rotation at SNN and DUB if demand is there. Seasonal base at NOC unlikely to be viable either.

The same crew which makes it worthwhile.

Those Canary Island flight are normally full when ever im on them (Winter & Summer) and considering the price i have to pay i'd be shocked if there not very profitable. The pensioners fill all the empty seats in Winter.

Those Canary Island flight are normally full when ever im on them (Winter & Summer) and considering the price i have to pay i'd be shocked if there not very profitable. The pensioners fill all the empty seats in Winter.

There’s no doubt there’s a market there for them, Knock just need to present this to another airline based in the Canaries and show them an excellent business case to take over the flights.

• Advertisement

Locker10a wrote: »
    show them an excellent business case to take over the flights.

Yes there's a market, but let's not get carried away here, it's one return flight per week per destination.

Yes there's a market, but let's not get carried away here, it's one return flight per week per destination.

Oh, fair enough, I thought it was more than that in fairness.
    Perhaps it could be replaced by one of the package tour operators offering a weekly service

An option such as TUI would work well I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I fully accept there is demand and some money to be made on these routes however getting them replaced by anyone is very low. The only hope is if Buzz (Ryanair Poland) set up bases as suggested yesterday.

Options are limited without FR:
    * FR will not do such W routing, they are costly if more than a single crew
    * No other airlines based in Canary Islands to take on the routes
    * TUI very unlikely, sourcing an operator is difficult

Demand will not change and SNN/DUB will benefit if they cannot be restored.

NOC should focus on trying to get PMI from FR to offset losses during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

RYANAIR has confirmed that its flights from Ireland West Airport Knock to Tenerife and Lanzarote have been suspended from January to the end of March next.

The decision has been taken as a result of the airline's closure of a number of bases in the Canary Islands due to a shortage of aircraft following the grounding of all Boeing 737 Max planes.

Passengers who had booked to travel on flights from Knock to Tenerife or Lanzarote between January 2 and March 29 are being offered flights from alternative airports or a full refund.

Donal Healy, marketing manager at Ireland West Airport Knock, told Midwest Radio that airport management is hoping this suspension of flights is a temporary measure and that the services to the Canary Islands will return from Knock for next summer.

He said it was not a commercial decison as the flights in question were very popular from Knock airport for the past 10 years. 

They are still selling seats for Cork to Lanzarote for January, seems strange.

John.G wrote: »
    They are still selling seats for Cork to Lanzarote for January, seems strange.

Why is that strange? The article only states the Knock routes are suspended?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

Why is that strange? The article only states the Knock routes are suspended?

Because of their decision to close a number of bases in the Canaries which may lead to a shortage of aircraft and one might think that they would stop flying from the smaller Airports like Cork first.

Because of their decision to close a number of bases in the Canaries which may lead to a shortage of aircraft and one might think that they would stop flying from the smaller Airports like Cork first.

But they have a fully operational base in Cork, they have 1/2 aircraft and crews based there so they have no issues covering flights from Cork to the canaries

Smaller airports like cork? Knock being 4 times smaller in terms of passenger numbers?

And the cork flights are operated by aircraft based in cork, not the canaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Smaller airports like cork? Knock being 4 times smaller in terms of passenger numbers?

And the cork flights are operated by aircraft based in cork, not the canaries.

Last winter the Cork Canaries flights were operated by Canaries based aircraft so it was a legitimate concern. This winter Ryanair are basing a second aircraft in Cork for the first time in years which will allow these flights to continue.

Hopefully Knock will find ways of getting these flights back. The loss of these routes could make the airport become unviable.

Advertisement