Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Chemistry...Before/After

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ShaunaMoll

It sounds like noone factored in this backwards arrow so they'll hardly mark us hard on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

And if you look at the question about the indicator and it's equilibrium, the arrows are in the same way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Surely it doesn't make a difference, there's still a forward reaction and a backwards reaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

RedTexan wrote: »
    And if you look at the question about the indicator and it's equilibrium, the arrows are in the same way?

Exactly, that's what I was saying. That exact indicator equation is in chemistry live with the reactants and products at the same sides, but with the arrows going the normal way. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kyle84

id just stop worrying about it,everyone's probably ok. Any1 else enjoy the water question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

kyle84 wrote: »
    id just stop worrying about it,everyone's probably ok. Any1 else enjoy the water question?

Yes :D It was fantastic... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ivanh

ChemHickey wrote: »
    The top arrow was pointing backwards?

It's bloody equilibrium! :L Of course there are two arrows! :L
    Never mind him, it doesn't matter what way the arrows point - the left hand side of any chemical equation is the reactants and the right is the products!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I enjoyed all of the questions apart from the experiments tbh :D Water was a nice one. Organic was gorgeous. Shorts were nice and simple and Rutherford popped up as expected.

What did ye say for the structural isomers?

I said Propanone and Propanoic acid cause if you count all the C's H's and O's they have the same number of each :D

I said Propanone and Propanoic acid cause if you count all the C's H's and O's they have the same number of each :D

• Advertisement

Mista wrote: »
    Yes :D It was fantastic... :D
    thought there was a good mix of chemistry there,but of anions gettin in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

ivanh wrote: »

Propanone and propanoic acid aren't isomers I don't think. I said propanone and propanal.

ya its propanone propanal

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

thought there was a good mix of chemistry there,but of anions gettin in :)

I didn't get the chlorine bit.. I just said use a colourometer :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Propanoic acid has an extra O no? I think so anyway.

C2H5COCH2 = propanone

C2H5COOH = propanoic acid.

I may be wrong. Did them in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

They're not isomers unfortunately.

Leaving aside the carbon backbone, there's an extra oxygen atom in a carboxylic acid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

C2H5COCH2 = propanone

Nah, you're right. I used propanone and propanal myself. Haven't seen a question like that in the exam papers though. 1 test left!!!

Apologies for the double post. Partyatmygaff, are you looking to going into lab work after graduation or sort of a behind the counter pharmacist role? I'm soooooooo undecided between Process and Pharmacy now lol. Need to make some sort of a decision soon.

ei.sderob wrote: »

C2H5COCH2 = propanone

Nah, you're right. I used propanone and propanal myself. Haven't seen a question like that in the exam papers though. 1 test left!!!

Same here! It was a good question though!

yep, I've one too! MUSIC! =e hopefully all will go well! =I

The excitement is well and truly building! All year I've had all the books I've needed to study layed out on my study desk and after each exam I've slowly started taking each book away, now only one book remains....it's going to be the most awesome sight when that table is bare.

• Advertisement

ei.sderob wrote: »

The excitement is well and truly building! All year I've had all the books I've needed to study layed out on my study desk and after each exam I've slowly started taking each book away, now only one book remains....it's going to be the most awesome sight when that table is bare.

Haha, there is about 4 knee high columns of books in my room. We're almost there! =7

Haha, there is about 4 knee high columns of books in my room. We're almost there! =7

I've sort of made a fort out of mine:D I can't wait to just procrastinate the whole summer and just not take advantage of the weather at all!

Personally not looking forward to tidying the books. All in a massive pile in the corner of the room :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

I'm reserving my books in case of repeating. :pac:

reznov wrote: »
    I'm reserving my books in case of repeating. :pac:

Stay optimistic reznov :P

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Stay optimistic reznov :P

Chem was grand. :P Most of my subjects were except English and Maths. The ones I had to nail!

It'll be grand. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tankosaur

ShaunaMoll wrote: »
    Ugh, that's the first time i've ever seen the top arrow pointing backwards! Would they really be that mean? Could be a missprint?...please let it be a missprint..

The question stated that the tri iodide ions were the products when iodide ions mixed with iodine so tri iodide was on the top for the calculation of kc.

That value should be right, in this context.

reznov wrote: »
    Chem was grand. :P Most of my subjects were except English and Maths. The ones I had to nail!

It'll be grand. :cool:

Yeah English and Maths were my worst also. Probably won't have to count English if I do well in Ag :) Chemistry was lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tankosaur

finality wrote: »
    I don't think you're supposed to multiply by 2. Is this question 1? You're told it's a 0.05 molar solution - that's 0.05 moles per litre. It doesn't matter that you've only made 500cm^3 of it as it's still a 0.05 molar solution.

Even if you got the moles per litre wrong, you'd still get the marks for the grams per litre provided your work for that part of the question was correct.

The na2co3 is 0.05 M/ 500 cm^3 so the titration value you get for hcl most also be M/500cm^3 which came to 0.12 or summit like that.

But the question asked for M/L so you must multiply by 2 and it comes to 0.24 Moles/litre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

finality wrote: »
    Some guy was saying that because the top arrow was pointing backwards you had to reverse the reaction and invert Kc. I disagree but he seemed quite adamant about it (and patronising).

I don't know what patronising is but it sounds mean.

As for Kc, that's the answer, I'm sorry if you didn't get it.

It's the whole point of arrows, they indicate what the FORWARD reaction is, in the diagram going from left to right they gave you the backward reaction.

That's the whole reason kc inverse was even discussed in chemistry live. If you didn't get it, hard luck, but don't bag me just because I told you that it was a bit of a trick question

And I said you had to reverse the reaction OR inverse the Kc

Advertisement