Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Chemistry...Before/After

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Hayezer wrote: »
    Why are alkenes more reactive than alkanes?
    And what was that weird indicator acid colour change thing in the pH question?

I said lower relative molecular mass and unsaturated :p

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

I said lower relative molecular mass and unsaturated :p

Think I just said very negative double bond, or something :L couldnt think of anything.

What did people get for the calculation for 3 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

Lovely paper, though just realised on the last bit of question 2 I forgot to multiply by 60%. How much marks will I lose for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Aaaargh keep realising stupid mistakes I made, for the short q about sublevels and orbitals I mixed up orbitals with shells :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 xGraceTx

TMCGY wrote: »
    I said homogenous :? And propan-2-ol... uho...
    same, homogenous all the way and i also threw in "which demonstrates intermediate compound theory" in case they were looking for it :)
    But the cobalt is in crystallised form usually, and that makes it a solid catalyst against a liquid..? Doesnt it? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Why are alkenes more reactive than alkanes?
    And what was that weird indicator acid colour change thing in the pH question?

I said the OH- ions in the base remove the H+ ions which creates a strain and so the system is pushed towards the side with the H+ ions to make more of them, so the colour of that side (purple?) predominates.

This doesn't matter as it is only the conc that was changed

It does matter - it means that the new yield is half the old one.

finality wrote: »
    I said the OH- ions in the base remove the H+ ions which creates a strain and so the system is pushed towards the side with the H+ ions to make more of them, so the colour of that side (purple?) predominates.

Same.

finality wrote: »

It definnitely purple. I did a similar question this morning ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

for that Q4 levels question

was it

5 and 5

think i got 9 and 5 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mikechris1919

Sunny!! wrote: »
    for that Q4 levels question

was it

5 and 5
    I said 3 nd 5 but most likely wron as usual!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ivanh

xGraceTx wrote: »
    I said benzene for 6 c, the one about mtbe and what used to be added to fuel. And I said it was stopped cos it was carcinogenic... Any hope for me?
    That's what I said too, hopefully they'll accept it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

Think I just said very negative double bond, or something :L couldnt think of anything.

I said that other atoms bond easily with it.. like with the Br mechanism :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

5 sublevels and 9 orbitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Helloxoxo

Does anyone know for definite the answers for 3 (c) and (e) ? Hope they're marked easily

do people think methanal would be accepted as a volatile liquid?

do people think methanal would be accepted as a volatile liquid?

No, its boiling point is -22C.. you have to get the vapour back into a liquid to measure its mass.

Mista wrote: »
    No, its boiling point is -22C.. you have to get the vapour back into a liquid to measure its mass.

ah ok thanks anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Do you reckon I'll lose many marks for doing the heat of formation backwards and coming out with 224 KJmol-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

RedTexan wrote: »
    Do you reckon I'll lose many marks for doing the heat of formation backwards and coming out with 224 KJmol-1

Probably -3 at most. They might see it as just forgetting to throw in the minus sign so you should be grand really. Won't (hopefully not) change your grade.

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Probably -3 at most. They might see it as just forgetting to throw in the minus sign so you should be grand really. Won't (hopefully not) change your grade.
    Yera I don't think so, I got 10 questions done and was fairly confident with the most of it! I'd say it shouldn't be too much!

you know in question 1 when they ask a primary standard reagent? will it be enough saying its a solution of known concentration

and i just took guesses and this is probarly rubbish

the liquid adjusted to the 0 mark? i said at eye level to bottom of meniscus

and the pipette for acuracy?

probarly aload of rubbish:(

you know in question 1 when they ask a primary standard reagent? will it be enough saying its a solution of known concentration

and i just took guesses and this is probarly rubbish

the liquid adjusted to the 0 mark? i said at eye level to bottom of meniscus

and the pipette for acuracy?

probarly aload of rubbish:(

Cheer up, they look right! For burette I just said open tap until what you said :pac:

Mista wrote: »
    Cheer up, they look right! For burette I just said open tap until what you said :pac:

gutted with the paper! the paper its self was fine! should have done more work on my part:(

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Yeah I had the equation written out next to it, as well backwards! Yera, happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Rossie17 wrote: »
    Yeah me too please? That would be great!!

It's on line here

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Yellowstars

what did ye say for Q7 problems arising after adding too much of fluorin or chlorine(there the ones i chose). oh and q8 9(e) the reagent and catalyst to bring about conversion R. and the instantaneous rate at 60 seconds? :):D aaaand 4e.the oxidation/reduction balance?

• Advertisement

what did ye say for Q7 problems arising after adding too much of fluorin or chlorine(there the ones i chose). oh and q8 9(e) the reagent and catalyst to bring about conversion R. and the instantaneous rate at 60 seconds? :):D aaaand 4e.the oxidation/reduction balance?
    It was the calcium hydroxide and sulphuric acid, I think, making the water either too basic or too acidic. Hydrogen and a nickle catalyst

Advertisement