Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Chemistry...Before/After

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

hollingr wrote: »
    Kc= [I3] / [I2][I-]

initially: [I2]= 0.08, [I-] = 0.24, [I3] = 0
    change: [I2]= -0.0793, [I-] = -0.0793, [I3] = +0.0793
    @equilibrium: [I2]= 0.0007, [I-] = 0.1607, [I3] = 0.0793

So, Kc at equilibrium = (0.0793) / (0.0007)(0.1607)

Kc = 704.95

I thought that Kc was wild initially but I got that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

What a beautiful paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭montown

hollingr wrote: »
    Kc= [I3] / [I2][I-]

initially: [I2]= 0.08, [I-] = 0.24, [I3] = 0
    change: [I2]= -0.0793, [I-] = -0.0793, [I3] = +0.0793
    @equilibrium: [I2]= 0.0007, [I-] = 0.1607, [I3] = 0.0793

So, Kc at equilibrium = (0.0793) / (0.0007)(0.1607)

Kc = 704.95

is this definitely right? i got the same answer and same method but was sure i messed it up?

also, did anyone get Q10 part c out? the one about the silver bracelet/necklace whatever it was, i was stumped by it altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ivanh

They're not isomers unfortunately.

Leaving aside the carbon backbone, there's an extra oxygen atom in a carboxylic acid.
    Definitely not

Propanoic Aid - C2H5COOH (C3H6O2)

Propanone - CH3COOCH3 (C3H6O2)

Answered all Qs bar Q5..

Why does propanone not react with Fehlings reagent? I said as it isn't oxidised as easily but I assumed you had to give an explanation of why it wasn't?

Alkenes more reactive than alkanes? I was unsure but talked of the negativity of the bond being reactive etc..

Also raging as I had looked at the definition for 'bond energy' last night as I saw it in a paper and noticed it wasn't in my list of definitions, but got distracted and ended up not learning it.. Still had my 8 in Q4 but still, sucks!

• Advertisement

ivanh wrote: »
    Definitely not

That's not the formula for propanone.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Definitely not

There's only one oxygen in propanone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Definitely not

The second one you have mentioned is methyl ethanoate.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Answered all Qs bar Q5..

Why does propanone not react with Fehlings reagent? I said as it isn't oxidised as easily but I assumed you had to give an explanation of why it wasn't?

Alkenes more reactive than alkanes? I was unsure but talked of the negativity of the bond being reactive etc..

Also raging as I had looked at the definition for 'bond energy' last night as I saw it in a paper and noticed it wasn't in my list of definitions, but got distracted and ended up not learning it.. Still had my 8 in Q4 but still, sucks!

Ketones don't possess hydogen bonds. Thus, it makes them less reactive and it's practically impossible to oxidise a ketone without breaking it's carbon-carbon chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Did anyone do question 10(c)? I found it so confusing, what did ye get for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

finality wrote: »
    Did anyone do question 10(c)? I found it so confusing, what did ye get for it?

Didn't do it in the exam but I'll do it out tomorrow after Ag. Was it Stoichiometry?

Didn't do it in the exam but I'll do it out tomorrow after Ag. Was it Stoichiometry?

yeah, it was a bit of an odd one though.

My answers were
    i) Aluminium is oxidized (though I now have a feeling I wrote silver in the exam :( )
    ii) 0.0003 moles
    iii) 0.0054 g
    iv) 0.0744 g

though they could be completely wrong, I did the question because I really liked the acids/bases part :L

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I didn't do anything crazy for the KC question and I got 4..which seems more reasonable than 705 or w/e

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

So for Q1 e) did you just have to do the M1 V1/N1 =M2 V2/N2? Did you have to multiply or divide your answer by 2 or something?

Chuchoter wrote: »
    I didn't do anything crazy for the KC question and I got 4..which seems more reasonable than 705 or w/e

(0.0793)/(0.08)(0.24) gives 4.13

but that would mean there was the same concentration of I2 and I- in the vessel at equilibrium as when you added them, so where would the I3 come from?

Also whats a consequence of suck back :pac:? Don't actually know what suck back is, I just know how to prevent it :L :pac:

Instrumentation technique to measure concentration of a heavy metal ion in water?

Hayezer wrote: »
    Also whats a consequence of suck back :pac:? Don't actually know what suck back is, I just know how to prevent it :L :pac:

I said the boiling tube containing the glass wool could shatter.

Instrumentation technique to measure concentration of a heavy metal ion in water?

AAS

Also said this. Also the stage in the experiment I said when disassembling the apparatus

• Advertisement

Not too dissapointed now that I look back over the test, would be happy overall if I didn't mess up the pink-green-pink colour in Q9, I said green-pink-green, and if I had just had a quick look at heat of formation...12 marks gone straight away, think I got all of the rest that question right :(

So for Q1 e) did you just have to do the M1 V1/N1 =M2 V2/N2? Did you have to multiply or divide your answer by 2 or something?
    Yeah it was just a simple titration equation, the same as comes up ever year. Don't understand why people were attempting to confuse the issue, the answers were .0012 and 4. something I think. For the first part about how much Sodium carbonate was necessary you needed to divide by two and get the mass of .0025 moles

RedTexan wrote: »
    Yeah it was just a simple titration equation, the same as comes up ever year. Don't understand why people were attempting to confuse the issue, the answers were .0012 and 4. something I think. For the first part about how much Sodium carbonate was necessary you needed to divide by two and get the mass of .0025 moles

Do you mean 0.12? I got that, and then 4. something alright :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Heatproof

Can colorimetry be a valid answer for the "Instrumentation technique to measure concentration of a heavy metal ion in water?" Question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I wrote "danger of explosion" cause I was thinking of this but I didn't know how to phrase it :L

Heatproof wrote: »
    Can colorimetry be a valid answer for the "Instrumentation technique to measure concentration of a heavy metal ion in water?" Question
    Atomic Absorption Spectrometry, what you said is for measuring the amount of free chlorine

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭montown

yeah, it was a bit of an odd one though.

My answers were
    i) Aluminium is oxidized (though I now have a feeling I wrote silver in the exam :( )
    ii) 0.0003 moles
    iii) 0.0054 g
    iv) 0.0744 g

though they could be completely wrong, I did the question because I really liked the acids/bases part :L

could you explain how you got those answers? think i got something similar but not too sure :)

montown wrote: »
    could you explain how you got those answers? think i got something similar but not too sure :)

i) I figured that sulfur was more electronegative than aluminium, so aluminium was + something on the right but had an oxidation number of 0 on the left so it must have lost electrons. Not sure about it though.
    ii) divided the mass of sulfur they gave by the atomic mass of sulfur
    iii) got the ratio of moles of aluminium to moles of sulfur, found the number of moles of aluminium, multiplied by atomic mass of aluminium
    iv) Got the ratio of moles of sulfur to moles of silver, found the mass of silver in the silver sulfide, added the mass of sulfur.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Definitely not

That's not propanone's formula.

CH3-CO-CH3 is the structural formula of propanone.

• Advertisement

That's not propanone's formula.

CH3-CO-CH3 is the structural formula of propanone.

Bit late :P off topic but partyatmygaff you're doing Pharmacy right? Would ye recommend doing it?

Advertisement