Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Chemistry...Before/After

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

TMCGY wrote: »
    Yea but it asked in moles per litre??

I'm talking about the mass of Na2CO3 part.. for the titration I used 0.05 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

have the paper in front of me here, "marble chips in excess", where does it say they're not?? :)

LOl, typo by me sorry. I mean WERE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

ei.sderob wrote: »
    Got -2275 or something for 6. Was pretty sure I was right. Isn't a 3 digit number very small when it comes to the heat of formation for such a long alkane?

Think it was -224. Would be small for heat of combustion, not for heat of formation though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Agh, got the calculation in Q1 wrong. Made a really stupid mistake :(

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Duffman K

Paper didnt go too well for me at all, the last part of Q2 i didnt get,

Anyone think that the 2nd half of Q5 was alot harder than usual ?
    Q1 fine
    Q2 tricky last part, didnt have a clue
    Q3 i think I got Mr of around 58 I think
    Q4 Ok
    Q5 Unusual 2nd part
    Q6 I think i got around -2,500kjmol :L
    Q7 was grand
    Q9 Never did that second part of the rate of reaction question before,
    Q11 (a) was ok,

disappointed, Was really hoping for a B3, dont think I have it now:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

K_1 wrote: »
    Think it was -224. Would be small for heat of combustion, not for heat of formation though.

Ok so! Got a 40 mark window for the A1, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TMCGY

Mista wrote: »
    I'm talking about the mass of Na2CO3 part.. for the titration I used 0.05 :)

What did you get for moles per litre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

K_1 wrote: »

Agreeing with this. I'm pretty certain I got that right, I was pretty careful with it.

What did you get for moles per litre?

0.12 I think? Thats off the top of my head though, can't be bothered gettin my sheet :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kyle84

course u were

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

I didn't even attempt heat of formation cus I was wondering wat the equation was :( what was the equation you wer meant to use?

0.12 I think? Thats off the top of my head though, can't be bothered gettin my sheet :P

Oh yay i got that too!! :)

Hayezer wrote: »
    I didn't even attempt heat of formation cus I was wondering wat the equation was :( what was the equation you wer meant to use?

8C + 9H2 --> C8H18

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

I got plus 224?

RedTexan wrote: »
    I got plus 224?
    Oh I see were I went wrong, will only be a couple of marks hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

8C + 9H2 --> C8H18

And then you just slotted in the values, product minus reactants? My god :( so dissapointed

... that's my point. In the question the forward reaction was actually

I3 going to I + I2. Do you understand? You had to either reverse it or inverse your Kc.

What I was saying was that it doesn't matter which arrow is on top. The reactants were on the left side, they were placed in the reaction vessel, that means the right side of the equation is the products. If the I3 were placed in the reaction vessel, it would be on the bottom of the Kc expression.

Anyone know what answers are to part e of volitile liquid one??:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rossie17

Could anyone with the paper handy there scan it please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Yeah I got -224 as well and my equations all cancelled out at the end so I'm fairly sure that's right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Helloxoxo

I got plus 224?
    Oh I see were I went wrong, will only be a couple of marks hopefully

I think I got -224 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pepperr

Hayezer wrote: »
    And then you just slotted in the values, product minus reactants? My god :( so dissapointed

I'm not sure about them, but what I did was set up an equation, then balance it so I had C8H18 + 12.5O2 --> 9H2O + 8CO2

Set up the hess equation so its 9h2o + 8co2 - C8H18 = -5502

sub in and multiply in the values, swing it around and you should get -224

Anyone know what answers are to part e of volitile liquid one??:cool:
    I said the boiling point of water would be below that of the non-volatile liquid and the other part was a mass spectrometer

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TheHazer

Anyone else notice that the heat of formation of 2,2,4 trimethylpentane was -224?

Sneaky declan :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭dmca93

Cautiously optimistic about the paper, we'll know all in August I suppose. I really like Q.6, did any one else say but-1-ene for the possible compound?

Also I see some people also got a number around 700~ for the kc? That's what I got so I'm a little more confident about that. And for the question about conc of I3 did you guys say it would be reduced because the startch would remove the I2 and thus the equilibrium would have to shift back to the left to replace the lost I2?

dmca93 wrote: »
    Cautiously optimistic about the paper, we'll know all in August I suppose. I really like Q.6, did any one else say but-1-ene for the possible compound?

Also I see some people also got a number around 700~ for the kc? That's what I got so I'm a little more confident about that. And for the question about conc of I3 did you guys say it would be reduced because the startch would remove the I2 and thus the equilibrium would have to shift back to the left to replace the lost I2?
    said but-2-ene, it's all good, and that's what I said about the starch part too

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

hollingr wrote: »
    Maths questions answers I got:

1. b) 2.65 g Na2CO3 used

e) i) 2.5 moles/L , ii) 91.25 g/L

got totally different ans for those. 0.12 m/L and 4.38 g/L

i could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pepperr

Yes to the last part and to the but-1-ene.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Saracarroll

ei.sderob wrote: »
    I was soooo close to not seeing the fact that the marble chips weren't in excess!

This doesn't matter as it is only the conc that was changed

• Advertisement

I said methylpropene.

and yeah that's what I said :)

Advertisement