Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me buy a candy cab!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

geotrig wrote: »
    if it was me and i had the money i'd buy it,

Also you mentioned that this has no rotate mech,it was made for mvs so wouldnt have one, but iirc it is rotateable

It doesn't make sense that it'd have a rotate mech being MVS alright! - But Ronny previous had a SNK candy 25 with a rotate mech and bar a few things looked pretty identical to this one.

Candy25_3.JPG

Here's the mech

Candy25.JPG

And here's another SNK 25 (I thought this was the one he was talking about when he said he had one left) it has that same button layout to the one I'm interested in!

Candy25.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    It seems to be an official button placement, although I have seen one where the buttons were in a straight line - I think this cab is earlier and a bit rarer than the one I posted above. The curve of the chrome is a bit more angled than that MVS 4 slot cab too.

The button placement doesn't bother me at all to be honest. From what I can remember (it's been a while since I've played any of my MVS carts), the only time I'd be using button 4 is parry in The Last Blade. And it might be even easier to pull off in that configuration - the colours would bother me more :D

You're right, most games I'd be playing would be horizontal. Would be nice to have the option of tate though for the 3-4 boards I have.

It's annoying actually, do you remember the other SNK candy 25 he had? It didn't look nearly as nice as this, but had a tate feature. Shame it wasn't on this one instead!!

Yep I remember that one alright. Prefer the marquee area on this latest one. Button placement or lack of rotate mech wouldn't bother me much at all. Presume you're ok with the 25" rather than 29"? 25 well big enough imo. I'm guessing it will be snapped up like most of his cabs.

Pic of a tated Candy 18 but not sure if it's the same procedure as a 25.

SNK_candy_18_hood_up.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭geotrig

It doesn't make sense that it'd have a rotate mech being MVS alright! - But Ronny previous had a SNK candy 25 with a rotate mech and bar a few things looked pretty identical to this one.

And here's another SNK 25 (I thought this was the one he was talking about when he said he had one left) it has that same button layout to the one I'm interested in!
    yeah that version of the neo candy 25 /26 had a rotate mech, dont know why ,i could be wrong but i always believed those to be the earlier models. I'd say most candy's went through some revision changes in there life some documented others not but its all a bit vague especially with early neo's, either way that neo 25 is the biz

make sure and get a pic of it under the hood and from all angles as well as a grid screen

Master of the Universe

25 is grand at the moment. I reckon I'd be glad of it moving about the place. It makes the whole unit a lot lighter than the Atomiswave was (god moving that yolk was a bitch!)

As I was saying though, my main concern with the monitor is age really. Ronny seems to think there's no burn and the geometry is good.

Have asked him for a load of pics anyway. I'm out of the country from Thursday until Monday, and he said he can't hold it for me until I get back.

So we shall see if it's still there next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Personally I like the look of it but ya have to ask yourself if you'll be kicking yourself in a few months over the rotate mech and stuff. I always found that having patience and waiting for exactly what you want is the way to go.

That being said though, wouldn't say you;d have much of a problem shifting this if you did decide to sell it. Couldn't imagine there's many of them in the country

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

That's something to be aware off too alright. How would I feel if everyone on the forum was rolling in Egret 2s in a couple of months for half the price? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

How would I feel if everyone on the forum was rolling in Egret 2s in a couple of months for half the price? :D

Not too bad, as Retr0 & Ciderman arn't allowed to own cabs so you'll still be one step ahead :p

That's something to be aware off too alright. How would I feel if everyone on the forum was rolling in Egret 2s in a couple of months for half the price? :D

I'm guessing you'd find a way to buy one of them also, if they are that cheap. ;)

Master of the Universe

I could say the same to you! :p

An Egret 2 would go nicely beside that Atomiswave!

Absolutely. If I have the funds when the time comes then I might hop aboard too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Dongasaurus

Just hopping in to say if there's a group buy happening I would be seriously interested in buying in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Im also just posting to say if there is a group buy ill certainly be in ...

And im seriously in for one of those cutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

How much of a crime would it be to have an atomiswave a different colour maybe black and the original artwork re applied.

:rolleyes:

matt finish black atomiswave would be the sexual chocolate !

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

matt finish black atomiswave would be the sexual chocolate !

We might find out soon

purplec wrote: »
    How much of a crime would it be to have an atomiswave a different colour maybe black and the original artwork re applied.

Heinous! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

I'm now hankering after one of these instead of a Cute-Neo 19
    7163456655_755d03bda5.jpg

These are either owned by a woman, or they are a blokes cunning plan to turn his mancave into a rapecave

Master of the Universe

Hey lads! Just an update regarding that Neo Candy 25, got a couple more pics from Ronnie.

Anyone up on monitor geometry? The test grid lines themselves look good - without wanting to sound like a complete and utter arcade monitor philistine - usually any test grids I've seen have the red boarder the whole way around. I'd assume that could just be moved over to the right a bit?

DSC_0012-1.jpg

Have to say, looks lovely and clean inside. Could really see a few of my PCBs in there...!
    DSC_0011-5.jpg

DSC_0010-3.jpg

Looks nice, so you going to go for it?

I dont know anything about arcade monitors but wont you need to adjust it after shipping due to movement and different position on the earth, did i hear something about that?

Master of the Universe

I did read here recently that the magnetic field of the earth does affect them seeing as they've come from the southern hemisphere. But that'd be more to do with a degauss than this. Similar to when you rotate a television.

I'm just wondering why this is over to the left so much. You could fix it just by turning the horizontal pot from what I remember - but why is it over so far for the photo?

Here's a closer look at it itself, does look nice.

zoom.jpg

• Advertisement

Looks nice o1s1n. I'd imagine the horizontal and vertical pots need to be adjusted to centre the picture (I'm guessing). Not familiar with the innards of that cab but I presume it has pots to do that? Maybe email him and ask can he centre it if that is all that's wrong. If it is then happy days - you'll be doing a bit of adjusting when changing boards anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I'm now hankering after one of these

Tiny but excellent cabs. The kick in the hoofters though is that parts are super hard to find. Same reason my Konami Windy dream ended.

@Pantrylad: looks like a fun, clean cab. Roomy, pleasant interior. A generally nice place to be.

What's the MPG and VRT? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭geotrig

Hey lads! Just an update regarding that Neo Candy 25, got a couple more pics from Ronnie.

Anyone up on monitor geometry? The test grid lines themselves look good - without wanting to sound like a complete and utter arcade monitor philistine - usually any test grids I've seen have the red boarder the whole way around. I'd assume that could just be moved over to the right a bit?

yeah this can be moved left ,right up, down and in and out .techniclly all monitors need to be adjusted slighty once a new board is put in as they all display slightly differently. I would if possible try and get him to align any of the vertical and hori lines to the edges so you can see the alignment.
    tbh other than that it looks ok.i thought from his original pics the top left was dipping inwards slightly but looks ok from those pics

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Looks great!
    Maybe I could get one of these...ah damit!
    KeRbDoG doesn't need another cab,
    KeRbDoG doesn't need another cab,
    KeRbDoG doesn't need another cab...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I'd be careful of that monitor o1s1n. Be very aware of how the geometry looks before it ships.
    Get him to set it up properly so you can see the full test screen (red all around) and make sure you get proper pics from him. You know the issues I had and I'm not harping on about it but just be careful.

Of course you will need to make adjustments when it arrives because of the different magnetic fields and also every PCB seems to be slightly different and require adjustments. But try and make sure it looks as you'd like it before he ships it. He's done this a million times so knows how to adjust the monitor to show the full test screen so just ask him that "please adjust the pots to show 100 percent of the test screen and then please take a steady picture so i can see if its what I'm after".

I think its a reasonable thing to ask when your spending a good chunk of cash on something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Looks nice man.
    Oh I remember the joy of getting the pics of my cab from ronnie.
    I was sold.I didn't even think of asking him for picks of geometry.
    I was lucky I guess.
    Anyway looking at those geometry pics I can see a major issue.
    There is some bad image burn of some bald Dutch dude with a camera

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭ondafly

Candy 25 sold !

Master of the Universe

ondafly wrote: »
    Candy 25 sold !

:eek:

purplec wrote: »

Matte black might look great...just like it does on nearly everything!

• Advertisement

:eek:

Surely the cab wasn't pinched from underneath another Boardies nose?

Advertisement