Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me buy a candy cab!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭Steve X2

kevin2me wrote: »
    Ya definitely in, no rush, whenever suits is fine by me.
    After seeing your E2 Steve, Im definitely in, Its a thing of Pure beauty!!!
    Its definitely be up for one or more :)

I've an E3 myself, It's an E2 I'm looking for :)

EnterNow wrote: »
    I take it there'll be a number gathering exercise before this ever goes ahead Steve?

Yeah, definitely.
    Plus I'll have detailed HD video of each cab and lots of pictures(inside and out).

The plan would be to see who wants what, secure those cabs and assign each person their own cab and let them see the pics and vids of the actual cab they will be getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

You have just made this very dragged out week happy, Thank you Steve!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

id say everyone on here would nearly but intersted in jumping in on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Steve SI wrote: »
    I've an E3 myself, It's an E2 I'm looking for :)

Much difference between the two?

Next time I'm buying something off ya, I'll have to take a proper look at your cab :D

• Advertisement

RedXIV wrote: »
    Much difference between the two?

Next time I'm buying something off ya, I'll have to take a proper look at your cab :D

Yeah, the E2 is brilliant for rotating the screen as it has a rotate mechanism built in.
    The E2 has a dual sync 15/24 kHz (non pure flat I think?) monitor as standard and the E3 has a trisync pure flat 15/24/31 kHz screen. I still prefer the E3 myself, which is why I have it I suppose :)
    Although, I rarely get to play it these days :(

Next time you're over you can have a decent gander at it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yeah, definitely.
    Plus I'll have detailed HD video of each cab and lots of pictures(inside and out).

The plan would be to see who wants what, secure those cabs and assign each person their own cab and let them see the pics and vids of the actual cab they will be getting.

Do you reckon at that stage you'll pretty much know the total cost per cab? Or do you need to know numbers first in case there's some sort of bulk discount re: shipping or whatever?

Every man and his dog will put his name down when it's "200-250 + shipping" but surely that's going to jump way higher when the shipping cost is known + any other import duty/taxes involved?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Do you reckon at that stage you'll pretty much know the total cost per cab? Or do you need to know numbers first in case there's some sort of bulk discount re: shipping or whatever?

Every man and his dog will put his name down when it's "200-250 + shipping" but surely that's going to jump way higher when the shipping cost is known + any other import duty/taxes involved?

When the time comes I'll have the total cost for each cab plus shipping as shipping is via container and that's sort of a set price(sort of) and I've got something in place for that that should reduce the costs a bit.

Import duty, it's an issue alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭geotrig

When the time comes I'll have the total cost for each cab plus shipping as shipping is via container and that's sort of a set price(sort of) and I've got something in place for that that should reduce the costs a bit.

Defo be interested as well ,any idea of a list of cabs possibly available ? any sega city's available ?saying that i'd probably be interested in another e2 anyway if a city wasnt available /feasible

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah, definitely.

Amazing!

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Amazing!

I think its the way it should be. All this rubbish with other sellers in the UK and Ronnieland not replying to emails and sending crappy pics of the cabs.
    If you want to sell something, make it easy for the buyer to give you their money. So reply to emails, send them pictures and videos and detailed specs of what they are buying, you know, customer service.

I remember the hassle I had when I went to get my cab and it was so bloody difficult to actually buy the thing or get info on it even though the guy had it in stock and more or less ready to go. And then the hassle afterwards which was a nightmare and the reason I'd never recommend Ronnie to anyone(well detailed in that thread I made all that time ago).

i wouldnt be too worried about import duties as its never as bad as people fear adn when you consider its out over 20-30 cabs with the shipping costs as well it works out pretty okish !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

People need to understand though that these machines are a number of years old and no matter how good a pic is it cant show up all the blemishes you can see in person and that's where people get disappointed.

There is always going to be some modification required or yellowing that will need attention.

I would be interested in a few machines but I know what to expect. People shouldn't expect brand new minty fresh cabs for 300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

purplec wrote: »
    People need to understand though that these machines are a number of years old and no matter how good a pic is it cant show up all the blemishes you can see in person and that's where people get disappointed.

There is always going to be some modification required or yellowing that will need attention.

I would be interested in a few machines but I know what to expect. People shouldn't expect brand new minty fresh cabs for 300

I don't think anyone realistically expects brand new machines for €300 :confused:

Plus we have the huge benefit of Steve being personally able to inspect & document the machines, providing hd images & videos of them beforehand. Can't say the same for many other sellers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭RedXIV

^ditto, I'm happy for someone to tell me the thing works and thats me sold

Just to be clear lads, I'm not the seller and am only passing on the deal to you guys(if i can get the actual seller to sort himself out that is).
    All costs and that sort of thing will be transparent to everyone.

Edit:
    One more thing, even though these are cheap, they are fantastic quality and equal or better than the ones that go for triple the price on AO and from other sellers. I did mention before that they have brand new candies for those that want to spend a bit extra :)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Definitely agree with that. Nearly everything Ive bought arcadewise either had issue I knew of, I found out after buying or happened in Transit.
    But for me trying to find some fix been big part of the Fun,
    This week alone I had a faulty PCB arrive and Naomi 2 MB, which were sold as working. You got to grin and bear it sometimes.

But when it comes to Steve organising this, your a perfectionist buddy :)
    I have nothing but praise and hope for ya buddy, You dont do things half ass'd. So be great buying off someone we can trust and no messing about.

When you bought of Ronnie, you told him what you wanted expected and you paid extra up front for more than his usually base fee, He should have handled it so much better.

You will have us all knowing whats what beforehand, no surprises expect Shipping and Customs, But that's something we dont have Control over.

If theres anyway i can help with Haulage in IRE side let us know,
    I can ask Haulage friend that might sort us out on that side.
    They move Containers and Curtain-liner Truck with Tail lift.

Kev

Master of the Universe

The only thing which concerns me getting a cab now is the monitor as it's the one thing I wouldn't really be able to replace (Trust me, I've learned the hard way!).

If Steve can inspect the quality of the monitors on site and see that they're running nicely with little or no screen burn or other bad faults then that's me 100% sold. (Hell, at this price I'd be sold at this point even if he wasn't going to those lengths!)

Superficial problems I really don't care about. Sure, if it's a pick between one in great condition and one with lots of scuffs then it's a no brainer..but as long as the monitor is running good and it's a cab I'm interested in then gimmiegimmiegimme!

The only thing which concerns me getting a cab now is the monitor as it's the one thing I wouldn't really be able to replace (Trust me, I've learned the hard way!).

If Steve can inspect the quality of the monitors on site and see that they're running nicely with little or no screen burn or other bad faults then that's me 100% sold. (Hell, at this price I'd be sold at this point even if he wasn't going to those lengths!)

Superficial problems I really don't care about. Sure, if it's a pick between one in great condition and one with lots of scuffs then it's a no brainer..but as long as the monitor is running good and it's a cab I'm interested in then gimmiegimmiegimme!

Well I inspected the stock around Christmas time and I think I reported it here. I'll be going over myself when this deal is on to hand pick everything but what I saw was mind blowing.
    Obviously I'll need to check it again before sale but I didn't see any monitors with any screen burn and I'm fussy as fook as some of you know. Some cabs had some small marks here and there but not bad at all and the shrink wrapped new candies were just plain bonerific.

Sure I can live blog the whole selection process if its possible at the time :)

Just to be clear lads, I'm not the seller and am only passing on the deal to you guys(if i can get the actual seller to sort himself out that is).
    All costs and that sort of thing will be transparent to everyone.

Edit:
    One more thing, even though these are cheap, they are fantastic quality and equal or better than the ones that go for triple the price on AO and from other sellers. I did mention before that they have brand new candies for those that want to spend a bit extra :)

quite a few of the one's on AO where orignally imported for a similar price ,its was when some greedy imports got involved that the prices went up and distorted the market prices !and it wasnt all just ronnie:eek:

• Advertisement

Well I inspected the stock around Christmas time and I think I reported it here. I'll be going over myself when this deal is on to hand pick everything but what I saw was mind blowing.
    Obviously I'll need to check it again before sale but I didn't see any monitors with any screen burn and I'm fussy as fook as some of you know. Some cabs had some small marks here and there but not bad at all and the shrink wrapped new candies were just plain bonerific.

Sure I can live blog the whole selection process if its possible at the time :)

screen burn isnt the worst ,geometry is more important

think i've used up my boards yearly quota today :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

import taxes and VAT can be calculated once you have a final list, you can contact the autorities before the container lands to get a ball park.

you then put a 20% contingency in for price fluctuations.

If this goes ahead it should be on a first pay first served basis and at no point should steve be accountable for the quality of the goods.

pics of all the cabs should be taken running preferably with the same pcb?

any way it wont be as cheap as everybody expects

geotrig wrote: »
    quite a few of the one's on AO where orignally imported for a similar price ,its was when some greedy imports got involved that the prices went up and distorted the market prices !and it wasnt all just ronnie:eek:

Ah I know it wasn't all Ronnie and I know I'm a bit harsh on him and that's just down to my own experiences with him. I was more than happy to pay the price I did for my candy at the time and still am. I just wish the issues I had were dealt with better/quicker/etc.

Another problem with buying candies from the UK and places like that is that quite a few of them are "rescued" from dumps in Asia and shipped over here and cleaned up and sold on at high prices. But then again, if it works and you're happy with it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Whats with all the negativity? I like most here, have no problem paying for something once I know what I'm getting. Look at o1s1n, no luck sourcing a cab & is prepared to pay over the odds at this stage even.

This isn't about cost, it's about having foothold where we have all the info at hand & can trust what we're getting

Master of the Universe

Cheapness is relative to the market I suppose. I bought my first Atomiswave for 600..if it had worked properly, that would have been cheap considering current rates. When I got it though it seemed about right.

Right this moment if I could manage an Atomiswave or an E3 for sub 1000 after postage then I'd see that as cheap.

Quite the market price fluctuation really!

Cheapness is relative to the market I suppose. I bought my first Atomiswave for 600..if it had worked properly, that would have been cheap considering current rates. When I got it though it seemed about right.

Right this moment if I could manage an Atomiswave or an E3 for sub 1000 after postage then I'd see that as cheap.

Quite the market price fluctuation really!

My E3 was 750 euro I think excluding postage at the time and with postage and the upgrades I asked for the total came to about 1150 delivered. I didn't get all my extras but that story's been well told at this stage and everything is all sorted now.

I think I've replaced most parts in the cab at this stage, except the psu. Damn pricey this candy cab lark :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Steve. I'd like to "register my interest" as well!

I'd be open to mint cabs as well.

Add me to your relevant lists!

Thanks

Thanks

No lists whatsoever just yet but when its happening there will be a thread started here for a group purchase with plenty of notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Thanks

No lists whatsoever just yet but when its happening there will be a thread started here for a group purchase with plenty of notice.

Bang on Steve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

import taxes and VAT can be calculated once you have a final list, you can contact the autorities before the container lands to get a ball park.

you then put a 20% contingency in for price fluctuations.

If this goes ahead it should be on a first pay first served basis and at no point should steve be accountable for the quality of the goods.

pics of all the cabs should be taken running preferably with the same pcb?

Your right there, its a long way from here to Japan and everybody will want a piece of the pie between here and there

Advertisement