Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me buy a candy cab!

Options
  • 12-05-2012 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

Right lads, this is proving to be more difficult than it seemed back in February when I was last looking into it. I had Jeff offering me from a choice of 10 Atomiswaves and then Ronnie also had some I was interested in.

Now though, I can't seem to get in contact with Jeff and Ronnie hasn't listed anything in a good while.

Was talking to Mitch today and he was saying about the possibility of getting some Naomis. I really like the look of cut down Naomi cabs - but then there's the issue of them needing a JAMMA adapter. Plus the monitors are 31k anyway arent they?

Anyone have any other ideas? The AO sales forum doesn't seem like it'll work either, as the cabs are mostly in the UK and lept on by people who can pick them up in vans.

I'm at a point now where I'm willing to pay well over the normal price just to get a damn machine into the house!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

I think this one looks nice tbh:

711cdc273f087228f45bd62c7e2988aa.jpg

*nom*

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nom nom nom!

Master of the Universe

Just so you know Ciderdude - you CAN fit a candy cab in an attic ;)

img4409k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

I too want to invest in one of these delights over the next while!

That's a pretty tight fit!

Is the top half detachable at all, or is it on the control panel that you can detatch?

You'd want one big hole in your attic to get that up there.

Hmmm....that sounded dirty.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

If you have the know how to take them apart, then they're pretty much like lego from what I've read. Just take it apart, up through the attic door and reassemble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Is all hope of repairing your own one now gone? Or is the whole cab itself gone?

Did the lad in Tallaght on Adverts sell his one, the one thats part of a games room or something?

Master of the Universe

Got a refund on the broken one. No joy with it at all unfortunately. Thought it best just to call it a day.

The other one which was on adverts in that big lot is now in Ondafly's house!

Master of the Universe

Here's the one Ronnie had with the rotating monitor which I was interested in. Sadly it's sold now though. It was a tad on the expensive side anyway.

Candy25_3.JPG

o1s1n wrote: »
    Got a refund on the broken one. No joy with it at all unfortunately. Thought it best just to call it a day.

The other one which was on adverts in that big lot is now in Ondafly's house!

Ah cool, I wonder what the deal was with it :confused:

I thought yer man had two cabs, one pillaged by ondafly, but yeah I see he only had the one :(

I'm sure with enough time & patience, you'll source a nice one. Mr ebay & all that. Also, we shall not play the song which is now a harbinger of death to candies when you get one. Yeah, you know the one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd love a cab but recent years seem to indicate that I'd never get playing it.
    My NEED for a Robotron cab, a reproduction would do, is well known, I could also have Smash TV, Total Carnage and a few other twin stick titles in there as well.
    Ever since an interview with Eugene Jarvis I've wanted one, a Defender cab would be cool as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

We are definitely in the wrong country!
    http://www.arcadestash.com/forsale.html

$800 for that custom Williams cab, I'm in love!
    I wonder how much it'd be to crate it up and ship it here, by sea, I don't mind waiting!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    We are definitely in the wrong country!
    http://www.arcadestash.com/forsale.html

$800 for that custom Williams cab, I'm in love!
    I wonder how much it'd be to crate it up and ship it here, by sea, I don't mind waiting!

Robotron is a title I've neglected , and only read recently that Retro Gamer (the Editor, not the Irish/Japanese/Crossdresser ;))
    has chosen it as his favourite game of all time.

I do remember seeing the colourful transition before, so obviously saw a gameplay video of it:

It's looks like Berzerk on acid and amphetamines!

Getting off topic but there was a couple of Robotron updates on the N64 and PS, they were fun but nowhere near as awesome as the frenetic original.
    Tempest got so much better with the 2000 update on the Jag, but the PS version was, once again, just not as good.
    The Defender update, on the Jag, was also muck.

Back on topic a man, a driven man, won't let a small stop him from getting a candy cab up it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭ondafly

Its a case of supply and demand - supply is really low, and demand is high. I'll sell one of mine for €5K ;)

or

http://www.coinopstore.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=189

or

http://www.leshoparcade.com/index_flash.php

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

you can tri sync a Naomi very easily if its a sanwa tube for about £130 ~ £150 and you can get a dual jamma adapter harness for roughly £70

A Naomi is the best cab for moving about since they come apart like lego and the shooting games are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

ondafly wrote: »
    Its a case of supply and demand - supply is really low, and demand is high. I'll sell one of mine for €5K ;

What you got another...god damn b4stard
    What model did you get, Pictures please.
    I do love pics of a new candy cab.
    Within the next three months I plan on getting another as well to join my Astro.
    I may have to sell my KI2 cab because I'm moving house:(,But I'll try my best to lug the beast up stairs/into an attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

What you got another...god damn b4stard
    What model did you get, Pictures please.
    I do love pics of a new candy cab.
    Within the next three months I plan on getting another as well to join my Astro.
    I may have to sell my KI2 cab because I'm moving house:(,But I'll try my best to lug the beast up stairs/into an attic.

I take it putting it into storage for a few weeks isn't an option?

(I can't find a youtube video of Jeff Goldblum saying "Nature finds a way" in Jurassic Park. Pretend I did!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

a5y wrote: »
    I take it putting it into storage for a few weeks isn't an option?

(I can't find a youtube video of Jeff Goldblum saying "Nature finds a way" in Jurassic Park. Pretend I did!)

The problem will be getting it into a new house.
    Is it wrong that when looking for a house that all I care about is the size of door frames and whether it has a garage/attic or the capacity to build one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

The problem will be getting it into a new house.
    Is it wrong that when looking for a house that all I care about is the size of door frames and whether it has a garage/attic or the capacity to build one :D

No.
    Its is very, very right.

Also, I know for fact that
    • most walls are not load bearing walls
    • sledgehammers are much cheaper than the average joe think
    • plastering becomes easier to learn when you're in a state of near panic to make sure no one asks "WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO?!"
    You know its the right thing to do.

Master of the Universe

So I got onto Ronnie again to see what he has. Apparently Atomiswaves are now starting to get up there with Egrets when it comes to finding one.

He did say however that he had some New Net City cabs if I was interested. When someone takes a Naomi and cuts the thing down, they're trying to make it look like one of these cabs.

4046148436_c24d834622.jpg
    Sega New Net City by nbcrew, on Flickr

I like them and all..and in an ideal world I'd have one for vertical games and an AWSD for horizontal...but in these small 1 cab Irish houses...bah!

Edit - seems these come with a Toshiba pure flat tri sync. Awful tempting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭ondafly

you live in a house ?!?!?! try living in an apartment and seriously remember life is super short, and its better to regret buying 2 cabs, then to regret having none.

I'm not mad on Naomis - don't fully feel like Candy Cabs (sorry folks) - plus they are usually only high-res? so you've added work to make them fully jamma.

Master of the Universe

The problem isn't so much regretting buying two as it is getting two into the house passed my girlfriend. There's no way :D If I had one that'd be it.

Standard Naomi's have a 33k monitor. These New Net Cities are an updated cut down version with a try sync though. I think they're fully set up for JAMMA. They should accept all video signals anyway.

Master of the Universe

The problem isn't so much regretting buying two as it is getting two into the house passed my girlfriend. There's no way :D

I see you've joined the ranks of these lads, you can keep Ciderman company now

4952920122_gay_man_xlarge_xlarge.png

Master of the Universe

Ah here! Ciderman doesn't even have one cab!

And I'm sure all your cabs are out the back in a cold shed, no sign of any in the warm house, eh? :p

895 euro for one of those New Net Cities. They must be pretty new cabs.

Ah here! Ciderman doesn't even have one cab!

And I'm sure all your cabs are out the back in a cold shed, no sign of any in the warm house, eh? :p

True on Ciderman, I suppose at least you have one

My cabs are perfectly happy in my carpeted & plastered games room shed thank you very much. As for me? Nah, way too cold out :(:o:p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The problem isn't so much regretting buying two as it is getting two into the house passed my girlfriend. There's no way :D If I had one that'd be it.

Standard Naomi's have a 33k monitor. These New Net Cities are an updated cut down version with a try sync though. I think they're fully set up for JAMMA. They should accept all video signals anyway.

The try-sync is the important part imo. I prefer the sit downs rather than uprights too but that's only personal preference. I wonder would it be less hassle to go with Ronnie rather than from the US.

Interesting to hear the AWSD's getting scarce.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Well I think Ronnie seems to be my only option in the EU at the moment (all the websites I've been looking at want a hell of a lot more money)

But he only really has New Net Cities - and at the price they're going for, you'd really REALLY want to like them. I do really like them - but not as my first choice. And if I were spending 900 euro I'd want my first choice :)

The guy in the states replied about that AWSD on ebay and he's asking me to confirm my address...!

This may be promising...

Advertisement