Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me buy a candy cab!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hey, I know this isn't a candy, but this is the one type of JAMMA cab I'd love to own, a Neo Geo Electrocoin. They really hold some childhood/arcade memories.

I've been watching this, and he just knocked 200 pounds off the asking price

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290702749774&fromMakeTrack=true

Some videos of it here. What do you think of the monitor? It looks washed out but I'm not sure if that's just the video?

Edit - ah, it's not the 6 slot I remember. This one only has a 19 inch monitor. Plus it looks likes someone has painted over the front of the CP overlay in black.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Where can I put my monies for this before it burns a hole in my pocket. Credit card - dangerous, Paypal - Dangerous, Jar in my gaff - Dangerous. Went to buy on Luchador mask yesterday ended up with 8. This commodity fetish of mine will be the death of me!

Master of the Universe

Ah balls, looks like the Atomiswave in the US is a no go. The shipping is 700 dollars, and another 300 on top of that for a heat treated crate!

Anyone ever heard of this? It's to do with some regulation called ISPM 15-

International Standards For Phytosanitary Measures No. 15 (ISPM 15) is an International Phytosanitary Measure developed by the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) that directly addresses the need to treat wood materials of a thickness greater than 6mm, used to ship products between countries. Its main purpose is to prevent the international transport and spread of disease and insects that could negatively affect plants or ecosystems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah balls, looks like the Atomiswave in the US is a no go. The shipping is 700 dollars, and another 300 on top of that for a heat treated crate!

Anyone ever heard of this? It's to do with some regulation called ISPM 15-

International Standards For Phytosanitary Measures No. 15 (ISPM 15) is an International Phytosanitary Measure developed by the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) that directly addresses the need to treat wood materials of a thickness greater than 6mm, used to ship products between countries. Its main purpose is to prevent the international transport and spread of disease and insects that could negatively affect plants or ecosystems

I work in logistics and they are correct. All natural wood crating must be up to ISPM 15 standards. Why not ask them about making the cabinet from plywood, chipboard or mdf as they don't need to be treated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Just an update on my possible Japan Candy order.

I'll be finished my current IT contract in the middle of June and probably wont have anything to go to right away so I should be able to go over to Japan myself around then and see if I can sort out this order in person and get things moving.
    If anyone is free around that time and wants to pop over with me and see the stock themselves then they are more than welcome.
    The last update from the seller as of yesterday is that he has 180 candies in stock of various types. He definitely has a lot of Egret 2's and a whole lot of Egret 3's(they are the candy I see the most in arcades over there) and a good mix of others as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Steve SI wrote: »

I'll be finished my current IT contract in the middle of June and probably wont have anything to go to right away so I should be able to go over to Japan myself around then and see if I can sort out this order in person and get things moving.
    If anyone is free around that time and wants to pop over with me and see the stock themselves then they are more than welcome.
    The last update from the seller as of yesterday is that he has 180 candies in stock of various types. He definitely has a lot of Egret 2's and a whole lot of Egret 3's(they are the candy I see the most in arcades over there) and a good mix of others as well.

Just to be clear, you are inviting me over to Japan and paying for 5star hotel as well as flights right?

Jesus I'd love to go to Japan :( Pretty sure its the ONLY thing (apart from getting an arcade cabinet) on my bucket list.

RedXIV wrote: »
    Just to be clear, you are inviting me over to Japan and paying for 5star hotel as well as flights right?

Jesus I'd love to go to Japan :( Pretty sure its the ONLY thing (apart from getting an arcade cabinet) on my bucket list.

Ehhhh, sorry but its just a 4 start hotel :(

:D

Master of the Universe

/drool!

It's a real shame I'm super busy in work with year end in June as I'd seriously have considered that. Always wanted to take a trip over. A trip over to check out 180 candy cabs is stuff of dreams! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Would you not just buy them all Steve? Buy a small-mid cargo ship & ship them over yourself. Bring them in around 4am off the coast of Kerry to avoid duty, in the biggest boards a&r meet ever.

Then buy an empty commercial unit, & set up a huge arcade.

No? Ah :(

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Would you not just buy them all Steve? Buy a small-mid cargo ship & ship them over yourself. Bring them in around 4am off the coast of Kerry to avoid duty, in the biggest boards a&r meet ever.

Then buy an empty commercial unit, & set up a huge arcade.

No? Ah :(

Please send all investment funds via paypal to crazystevesimports@dodgycandies.ng to own a piece of this lucrative candy cab pie.

Master of the Universe

I am a Nigerian prince and by the grace of god, will gladly help you manage that Paypal account Steve.

Although may I suggest changing it to a Western Union system instead?

I am a Nigerian prince and by the grace of god, will gladly help you manage that Paypal account Steve.

tumblr_llywqrFZgQ1qib9ks.gif

PM sent with my bank details and address just in case you need them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Akeem, is that you? :pac:

281641.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10 OldSkoolRetro

All,
    I'm interested in a candy too. Sounds great. Keep me in mind.
    :)

BTW - I know a lot of you are worried about the picture quality of the monitors. I spoke to the guy from DigitalSystemsDesigns in the UK recently and he told me that the geometry issues are associated with differences in magnetic fields of the earth. You can take a cab from Australia or Japan and it can look perfectly fine in Japan, but as soon as you transport to another location you can get odd geometry effects. That's because the monitor is calibrated for the local region (japan etc.), and in order to get the geometry perfect for your local region (Ireland), the magnets on the monitor tube need to be stripped down and reinstalled, and apparently that can take hours, and often the results are mixed. Unfortunately adjusting the monitors pincushion won't fix the problem, as I'm sure ye already know.

All that said, I'm still interested in an import :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

All sounds good Steve.

Be interesting to see what the full range of cab types is.

Are Egret 3 screens pure flat does anyone know?

All sounds good Steve.

Be interesting to see what the full range of cab types is.

Are Egret 3 screens pure flat does anyone know?

The standard monitor is a 29" pure flat tri-sync display (15/24/31 kHz).

I had to make sure my replacement monitor was flat as apparently you can have problems trying to install a non flat screen in the cabinet(bezel issue I guess).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Thanks Steve. Egret 3 sounds the job so far!

Just as a matter of interest Steve, did you spot or hear of any non candies amongst the stock? Any dedicated cabs?

Just as a matter of interest Steve, did you spot or hear of any non candies amongst the stock? Any dedicated cabs?

The only dedicated candy(sort of dedicated as I guess you can stick whatever pcb you like in it) I can remember seeing was a SNK Neo 29.

Not sure if he still has it but I can email him and ask if you like. You looking for anything in particular? I can ask him to check for other cabs as I need to email him in the morning anyway.

• Advertisement

The only dedicated candy(sort of dedicated as I guess you can stick whatever pcb you like in it) I can remember seeing was a SNK Neo 29.

Not sure if he still has it but I can email him and ask if you like. You looking for anything in particular? I can ask him to check for other cabs as I need to email him in the morning anyway.

Ah it's no big deal, more a curiosity really. I do love my dedicated cabs. I'm really restriced by the width of cabs, damn door frames & no side entrance. But I suppose I'd love some kind of shooter. Finding one narrow enough though will be tough. The Tekken 3 cab I have is the biggest width that'll fit :( & I think that's the same cab as MK2

Ah it's no big deal, more a curiosity really. I do love my dedicated cabs. I'm really restriced by the width of cabs, damn door frames & no side entrance. But I suppose I'd love some kind of shooter. Finding one narrow enough though will be tough. The Tekken 3 cab I have is the biggest width that'll fit :( & I think that's the same cab as MK2

But you'd fit nearly any candy in most doors once you remove the control panel. My Egret 3 is tiny once the panels off it.

Master of the Universe

Gwan Enternow, you know you want a candy!

An Egret 2 would look lovely next to your current cabs. And if you realized you didn't want it, hell, they resell for a fortune.

Although maybe not now once Steve_SI floods the European market! :D

Steve_SI - as a matter of interest, any signs of a Capcom Mini Cute? I'd be murdered if I bought two cabs..but maybe I'd be allowed one and a half...!

Gwan Enternow, you know you want a candy!

An Egret 2 would look lovely next to your current cabs. And if you realized you didn't want it, hell, they resell for a fortune.

Although maybe not now once Steve_SI floods the European market! :D

Steve_SI - as a matter of interest, any signs of a Capcom Mini Cute? I'd be murdered if I bought two cabs..but maybe I'd be allowed one and a half...!

I don't remember seeing a Mini Cute but I'll ask the guy.
    It's so small though, could you actually play it for any period of time?

Master of the Universe

I know, size wise, it goes against all logic and sense.

It's just so damn cute though! :pac:

I reckon if you stuck Puzzle Bobble on one of them it'd be a girlfriend magnet.

'OMG! A MACHINE OUR POTENTIAL CHILDREN COULD USE!!'

'But what if we happen to have big, fat children?'

'YOU'RE RIGHT! BUY MORE ARCADE MACHINES JUST IN CASE!'

Win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I know, size wise, it goes against all logic and sense.

It's just so damn cute though! :pac:

I reckon if you stuck Puzzle Bobble on one of them it'd be a girlfriend magnet.

'OMG! A MACHINE OUR POTENTIAL CHILDREN COULD USE!!'

'But what if we happen to have big, fat children?'

'YOU'RE RIGHT! BUY MORE ARCADE MACHINES JUST IN CASE!'

Win.

I already want one for my kids now :(

Master of the Universe

I wish I had one of these when I was a kid! Perfect height

Candy004.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Lol he's playing SFII looks like, impressive. The cute's are cool but quite expensive, not sure I'd let a child near the thing. Not sure leaving that step down beside his feet is a good idea either.

Candy004.jpg

Is that the famously young Atavan?
    :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Four player NBA Jam on a cute. Talk about close! :pac:

Advertisement