Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you go to Mass regularly?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

I wonder how many of you declared Catholic on the last census. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

All of them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

If, when they reach the age of 16, they feel that it is not for them, then I'm happy for them to bow out.

Dogmatically once they are confirmed they can choose for themselves to go or not.
    Last time I was in a church for was a funeral, time before it was a wedding.
    Both times I had family members checking to see if I was going to burst into flame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

I wonder how many mammys filled out the form and declared their kids as catholic when they themselves would not?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

not i

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

I did,because i am Catholic and i do attend mass regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Sharrow wrote: »
    Both times I had family members checking to see if I was going to burst into flame.

I love it! It will take a generation for that to change but it will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭TehDagsBass

I go as often as I want to take the body of a man, followed by his liquids, in my mouth and tell my dirty stories to excited men in dark boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Doesn't change what I said: it advises, it does not tell or order.

And it also implies equality. Christisn in the fellowship of Christians is one thing, but one Christian dictating to a group of Christians is another. If anything, your quote hints toward something like Bible study and discussion, rather than one man dictating at a service.

The Bible does command Christians as to how they should live. Christians should have fellowship with one another and worship God corporately as well as on their own, Christians should work together in society to tell more people about Jesus, and Christians should encourage one another in the Gospel to be able to do that. In order for that to happen in an organised way, there needs to be leadership.

Organised Christianity is as essential as it has always been to the Gospel.

In terms of where I currently go to church, yes there's a sermon on Sunday, but there are also small groups mid-week with other church members where we do study the Bible together. Moreover if I need to discuss with my pastor after if I misunderstand his sermon or think that it is mistaken I'm more than free to go to him and ask him about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

The church, its paedophilic members and it's ignorant/dumb followers can go fück itself. Funerals only.

You have to be majorly thick to support or believe that shïte in this day and age.

Maybe say that to someones face that they are ignorant/dumb and see how you get on.

Internet hard men. A terrifyingly ignorant and dumb breed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭TehDagsBass

And sure, what does he even mean by it? If you tell a Christian that they're hilariously ignorant and dumb, surely you don't need to see how you'll get on? Surely, as compassionate Christians, they'll forgive you and pray for you instead of doing something you've to worry about?

And sure, what does he even mean by it? If you tell a Christian that they're hilariously ignorant and dumb, surely you don't need to see how you'll get on? Surely, as compassionate Christians, they'll forgive you and pray for you instead of doing something you've to worry about?

Too right. They're forced by their cult leaders to forgive you no matter what you say or do to them. Hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Yes, but objectively that won't stop the person making statements wholesale about a few billion people from looking like someone less intelligent than a "feeble minded idiot", will it?

Seeing as you have a habit to reference other threads, I think i'll do so too. I didn't get a chance to reply to you in the other thread before it got locked. You never told me, how would you term someone less intelligent/capable than a "feeble minded idiot"? (Cue: RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE, ABORTION THREAD, I'M RIGHT YOU'RE WRONG. MY OPINIONS ARE TOO RIGHT TO ALLOW ME TO BE POLITE TO PEOPLE WHO HOLD DIFFERENT OPINIONS. I'M A CRAP TROLL e.t.c.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Sharrow wrote: »
    Dogmatically once they are confirmed they can choose for themselves to go or not.

At this stage for either of us I'd say it's more likely the church will catch fire instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Not if I can avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,403 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Read your own post if you want to know about ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The church, its paedophilic members and it's ignorant/dumb followers can go fück itself. Funerals only.

You have to be majorly thick to support or believe that shïte in this day and age.
    Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

no, im not a member of any evil cults

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Wait, you mean I get to be as bigoted as I want and don't have to treat any religious beliefs with respect and get to label them all evil and deluded and stupid and say my atheism is a lack of belief even though that has traditionally been labelled agnosticism so I don't have to defend any position of my own and get an inner glow of superiority? Wow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Yes - I go regularly, and I don't regard myself in anyway holy or particularly good living.

I have kids that I bring to Mass and I insist they go. If, when they reach the age of 16, they feel that it is not for them, then I'm happy for them to bow out.

Masses are very well attended in Armagh (although have still suffered significant decline over the years), and I have to say I feel a sense of belonging by going, altough I would prefer not to go into the spiritual side of things here.

Seeing the Catholic Church and Catholics individually suffer so grievously at the hands of loyalist paramilitaries over the troubles was another reason why I was determined to attend - people up here were killed for their faith and I never lost sight of that.

The Catholic Church is under attack again, as evidenced by so many posts and threads on these boards, but an awful lot of that is very much self inflicted. However my attendance at Mass was never to worship any priest or bishop, and the wrongs of so many has not impacted on my faith.

You know you can worship god with sleep?

One time I worshiped him by just leaving the room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Yo fr d lol

• Registered Users Posts: 33,220 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

philologos wrote: »
    The Bible does command Christians as to how they should live. Christians should have fellowship with one another and worship God corporately as well as on their own, Christians should work together in society to tell more people about Jesus, and Christians should encourage one another in the Gospel to be able to do that. In order for that to happen in an organised way, there needs to be leadership.

Organised Christianity is as essential as it has always been to the Gospel.

In terms of where I currently go to church, yes there's a sermon on Sunday, but there are also small groups mid-week with other church members where we do study the Bible together. Moreover if I need to discuss with my pastor after if I misunderstand his sermon or think that it is mistaken I'm more than free to go to him and ask him about it.

Then we go down the wellp-trodden road of does the Bible command us to not eat shellfish and so many other ridiculous things I believe it was never intended to say in the first place.

At least, you go down it. I stay here with God and the free will He gave me. We're having shrimp.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Truley wrote: »
    Until I left home at eighteen I was forced to go every week and I fought and resented it from day one. When I was younger because it was so boring. From the age of about eight or nine because I started really questioning organised religion and had pretty much made up my mind what was or wasn't for me.

I didn't have the same fear or sense of duty that kept my parents going to mass and I can still vividly remember feeling extremely angry and almost violated by being forced to sit in a place I didn't want to be, be preached to about something I didn't believe in or agree with and by people I really just did not respect. As a child you go along with lots of things you don't want to do for your parents; school, shopping trips, visiting people, standing in queues etc and I could accept that but in the case of mass I just felt really disrespected that my feelings didn't come into it.

I know it seems like a trivial thing but at that age you are trying to assert yourself as an independent thinker with their own views and insights and to have it shot down or ignored like that can be so damaging. I see it now with the girl I mind who is nine years old. She just has her first Christmas where she didn't believe in 'Santa' and was very proud of herself telling all the adults around her how she had cottoned on to the fact but instead of accepting or maybe even being impressed with her that she had figured it out most adults' reaction was along the line of 'oh what are you talking about of course there's a Santa, don't be silly, you'll get presents la la la...' In the end I just told her to go along with it when people asked because it was really starting to grate on her. I think that's kind of sad.

Santa is based on a real person, the other bits were added on like the reindeer, sleigh and down the chimney stuff.
    I bet the 9 year old wasn't telling them that.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/santa-claus-buried-in-ireland-1844534.html

Back on topic, I go to mass every Sunday because I want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Then we go down the wellp-trodden road of does the Bible command us to not eat shellfish and so many other ridiculous things I believe it was never intended to say in the first place.

At least, you go down it. I stay here with God and the free will He gave me. We're having shrimp.

The shellfish is in the book of Levicticus which is the book for the Levi's who were one of the 12 tribes of Israel where only the priests for the Jewish faith came from.
    So rules for Jewish rabbis...

Indeed.

Hilarious, Beg for thanks monkey, beg.

Read your own post if you want to know about ignorance.

Read a Bible if you want to get more stupid and ridiculous. Go away God freak, your kind are only to be pitied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It doesn't happen much in Dublin, but it happens on quite a large scale -for various reasons - in most of the rest of the country.

I think it tends to be an urban vs "traditional rural" Ireland thing, not a Dublin vs Rest of Country thing.

You'll see exactly the same patterns in Cork, Galway, Limerick cities etc.

However, you'll also find some rural areas are far more liberal than others.

In general, I've found rural Ireland alternates between quite enlightened, liberal and relaxed to really conservative and traditional.

In general, I've found that it tends to correlate with places where there's very little going on and going to mass is the only social outlet. The result is that the locals have to go in order to be seen going in case the neighbours would say something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Again, I've explained in the following post the Christian position on dietary laws. Jesus fulfilled the dietary laws in Mark 7. Indeed, the Bible explicitly makes clear that there are two covenant agreements, the Old Covenant agreement with the Hebrews in the State of Israel, and the fulfillment of that in the New Covenant agreement in the New Testament. By the by, the Old Testament clearly says that there will be a new covenant agreement (Jeremiah 31:31-34).

If you're just going to ignore what I say this isn't going to be a very fruitful discussion. The reality is that the objection that you have made can be very easily explained.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I go to mass for wedding funerals christenings etc I have nothing against mass just don't have the time to go every Sunday, I pray every night without fail, I'm not overly religious but I'm happy with what I do.
    I do go to knock a few times a year and would attend mass then.
    I think lots of people go out of habit more than anything tbh.

Advertisement