Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you go to Mass regularly?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Bribed to take communion? What is that all about.

Enlighten me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Quality wrote: »
    Bribed to take communion? What is that all about.

Enlighten me?

i'd love to hear their explanation of bloodsports too, might bring some elastoplast with me in my pocket to mass tomorrow, i guess you just never know when a boxing match will break out and we'll all start thumping the living daylights out of each other until we're told the mass is ended, go in peace... :D

this is what happens when people dont go to mass- they have no clue what they're talking about, but its much easier to be ignorant, than it is to be informed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Nope. I always found it painfully, painfully boring, the only thing that kept me attending was the fear that the Invisible Sky Man would send me to Hell if I missed even one weekly 40-minute boredom-fest. I know a lot of older people who go every week though, or more, and in a way I've more respect for them than the a-la-carte Catholics who ''don't really believe in Hell or any of that silly stuff'' but will go down to have an auld pray so God will grant them whatever they currently really, really want this week/month. Just to get favours basically. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

No only when I have to, I hate all the sitting, kneeling and standing, plays havoc with my knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

No, I don't blindly believe in fairy tales, so no reason to set foot in a church other than a wedding/funeral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭mightdomighty

IvySlayer wrote: »
    No, I don't blindly believe in fairy tales, so no reason to set foot in a church other than a wedding/funeral.

You can still go to Disney land even if you don't believe in Mickey Mouse and Co.

A church isn't as much craic though I'll give ya that. The Rides are all old and there wouldn't be two balloons to rub together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

My OH goes most Sundays and brings the kids who at 3 and 9 actually like to go.
    I'm often busy but make it along about once a month. I suppose we're those a la cart Catholics people talk about as we think lots of the popes thinking is way outta date.
    You can bring your children AND teach them independent thinking at the same time. If nothing else religion teaches a good moral compass for children which can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

bbam wrote: »
    You can bring your children AND teach them independent thinking at the same time. If nothing else religion teaches a good moral compass for children which can only be a good thing.

What about the part with the gays?

Like I said, we don't believe in all the popes teachings.
    I'm more than happy to pick and choose from what they teach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

The church, its paedophilic members and it's ignorant/dumb followers can go fück itself. Funerals only.

You have to be majorly thick to support or believe that shïte in this day and age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

No...but I attend mosque every Friday ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I like 84% of the population attend mass every week where I expect it to be as gaeilge to suit the 1.7 million of us fluent Irish speakers.

I'm genuinely curious here... I'm assuming you don't subscibe the Pope's hateful ramblings about gays, why are you ''more than happy'' to allow yourself to be counted among his flock (by attending Mass), thus allowing the organisation that spreads such hate to say they have more power/influence in this country than they actually do?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭mightdomighty

You can bring your children AND teach them independent thinking at the same time.

Totally Agree
    If nothing else religion teaches a good moral compass for children which can only be a good thing.

I don't believe you can credit religion with teaching a good moral compass. Religion acquired this and boasts it as it's own and takes credit for it.

I have a problem with this, especially the baggage that come with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I go to a evangelical CofE church in London and mid-week talks that happen near my office, I regard it as important to hear God's word, and worship, but also in encouraging others in the Gospel, and vice versa, in order that we might be able to share that truth with those around us.

Siuin: Personally if I have kids, I would bring them to church as well. Firstly, because if I believe what I do, it is essential that they know about Jesus, secondly because irrespective of what I share with them as they get older they will think about it for themselves, and thirdly do you seriously think that Christians should get a babysitter every time they want to go to church?

If any child of mine expressed a disinterest in going to church, I would actively discuss with them as to why that was the case and try and help them to resolve issues they might be having with Christianity. That's the right thing to do if I genuinely believe that one needs to accept Jesus to be saved, and if I believe He will return in judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Until I left home at eighteen I was forced to go every week and I fought and resented it from day one. When I was younger because it was so boring. From the age of about eight or nine because I started really questioning organised religion and had pretty much made up my mind what was or wasn't for me.

I didn't have the same fear or sense of duty that kept my parents going to mass and I can still vividly remember feeling extremely angry and almost violated by being forced to sit in a place I didn't want to be, be preached to about something I didn't believe in or agree with and by people I really just did not respect. As a child you go along with lots of things you don't want to do for your parents; school, shopping trips, visiting people, standing in queues etc and I could accept that but in the case of mass I just felt really disrespected that my feelings didn't come into it.

I know it seems like a trivial thing but at that age you are trying to assert yourself as an independent thinker with their own views and insights and to have it shot down or ignored like that can be so damaging. I see it now with the girl I mind who is nine years old. She just has her first Christmas where she didn't believe in 'Santa' and was very proud of herself telling all the adults around her how she had cottoned on to the fact but instead of accepting or maybe even being impressed with her that she had figured it out most adults' reaction was along the line of 'oh what are you talking about of course there's a Santa, don't be silly, you'll get presents la la la...' In the end I just told her to go along with it when people asked because it was really starting to grate on her. I think that's kind of sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The church, its paedophilic members and it's ignorant/dumb followers can go fück itself. Funerals only.

You have to be majorly thick to support or believe that shïte in this day and age.

No need for the profanity laced insults, people are entitled to their faith and that's it. You have your own opinion on the subject which is fine but could you not express yourself in a more dignified tone?

Totally Agree

I don't believe you can credit religion with teaching a good moral compass. Religion acquired this and boasts it as it's own and takes credit for it.

I have a problem with this, especially the baggage that come with it.

Sorry your right.
    It supports as we teach good morals to our children

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stanley 2

Acacia wrote: »
    I'm genuinely curious here... I'm assuming you don't subscibe the Pope's hateful ramblings about gays, why are you ''more than happy'' to allow yourself to be counted among his flock (by attending Mass), thus allowing the organisation that spreads such hate to say they have more power/influence in this country than they actually do?

the truth should not beconfused with hate full ramblings even if it is not PC

No need for the profanity laced insults, people are entitled to their faith and that's it. You have your own opinion on the subject which is fine but could you not express yourself in a more dignified tone?

Nope. I'll express my opinion how I like thanks.

I don't believe that I insulted anybody directly (although the delusional religious tend to be rather precious about their cult) and my opinion is as valid as anybody else's.

Jockey for Mod status/thanks elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I'm an atheist, and I find this both curious and offensive.

Nobody has a right to describe someone elses deeply held beliefs as ignorant and dumb if they harm no one else. Nobody. Why would anyone make the sort of offensive, sweeping, insulting and puzzling generalisation above, about people they don't know, have never met, and have no professed interest in?

Conversely, nobody has the right to call me ignorant and dumb for my lack of belief.

Obviously bad people, whether they are pedophile priests, or their apologists, deserve to be prosecuted and punished, and to be reviled even. But to tar the hundreds of millions of decent people who align themselves with a particular belief system with the same brush is ridiculous.

Even if I have no understanding of their willingness to believe, and even less of their adherence to the 'rules' of the game, they are as surely entitled to be left in peace and believe what they want as I am, as long as nobody is hurt.

I find the exception for funerals bizarre, to say the least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

No. Organised Religion is a massive global scam. The catholic church is a disgrace, All the corruption, The long history of Physical, Mental and Sexual abuse. How anyone can still walk into a church and support that evil organisation is beyond me.

If you want to believe in a God that's fine. Get a bible and read it at home. You can have a person relationship with your Lord, A spirituality

But don't listen to or give your money to those scumbags in the church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I don't believe that I insulted anybody directly (although the delusional religious tend to be rather precious about their cult) and my opinion is as valid as anybody else's.

Live and let live doesn't just work one way, if you want people to be tolerant, accepting and respectful of non-religious then you have to show the same courtesy to religious people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

I used to, can't anymore. Wish I had made this decision sooner.
    I am still a Christian but I am questioning my faith everyday due to the goings on of the Catholic church.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

No. No longer a member of the Catholic religion and I'm atheist since I developed critical thinking skills as a child anyway.
    Weddings and funerals are the only reasons for me to enter a church.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

You give too much credit to the church and too little credit to yourself on this. Taught just by you, your kids would have just as strong a moral compass; taught just by the Church, they'd be significantly worse off.

stanley 2 wrote: »
    the truth should not beconfused with hate full ramblings even if it is not PC

What 'truth' would that be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

What I really do not understand is why so many people here are stating that while they don't agree with the teachings of the pope, they're still forcing their kids to go to mass in a Catholic Church-- if religion is so important to you that you will force your own offspring to attend against their will, then the LEAST you can do is do some intelligent research yourselves and find a religion which actually DOES reflect your own personal beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I go every sunday :)

• Advertisement

Giselle wrote: »

Live and let live doesn't just work one way, if you want people to be tolerant, accepting and respectful of non-religi
    ous then you have to show the same courtesy to religious people.

I don't believe so.......I genuinely have zero respect for anybody who lives their life adhering to some ridiculous, outdated rulebook.

If the Catholic church was being bandied about today it would rightfully be met with the same derision that the likes of Scientology is.

Perhaps my first post was harsh and the language abrasive to some but I'm not about to change how I view the CC because "live and let live".

The Church over the centuries certainly had no concept of that phrase.

Advertisement