Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you go to Mass regularly?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭mightdomighty

The church, its paedophilic members and it's ignorant/dumb followers can go fück itself. Funerals only.

You have to be majorly thick to support or believe that shïte in this day and age.

I'm inclined to agree with what I think you mean. I see some truth in your statement

Although, to be taken seriously I think you need to work on your delivery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I don't believe so.......I genuinely have zero respect for anybody who lives their life adhering to some ridiculous, outdated rulebook.

If the Catholic church was being bandied about today it would rightfully be met with the same derision that the likes of Scientology is.

Perhaps my first post was harsh and the language abrasive to some but I'm not about to change how I view the CC because "live and let live".

The Church over the centuries certainly had no concept of that phrase.

Fair enough, but if you silence dissent or difference by abuse and judgement you run the risk of being guilty of very thing you abhor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Siuin wrote: »
    What I really do not understand is why so many people here are stating that while they don't agree with the teachings of the pope, they're still forcing their kids to go to mass in a Catholic Church-- if religion is so important to you that you will force your own offspring to attend against their will, then the LEAST you can do is do some intelligent research yourselves and find a religion which actually DOES reflect your own personal beliefs.

The state needs to remove religion from Schools, The Schools are forcing religion down the thoughts of Irish kids. They entice kids in with the materialistic occasion, communion money, white dresses, parties, hotels etc. A child does not understand what is going on. It's only whey you get older and have a mind of your one that you should choose to be part of a religion or not, or even a different religion

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Sarky wrote: »
    Or maybe I didn't have an issue with the rest. There's no need to jump to conclusions like that. People will think you're prejudiced.

I suppose then that begs the question why you originally wrote,
    So you're just going to spite the prods? Awesome.

No, you've no issues at all!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

No. Organised Religion is a massive global scam. The catholic church is a disgrace, All the corruption, The long history of Physical, Mental and Sexual abuse. How anyone can still walk into a church and support that evil organisation is beyond me.

If you want to believe in a God that's fine. Get a bible and read it at home. You can have a person relationship with your Lord, A spirituality

But don't listen to or give your money to those scumbags in the church.

Except for the fact that the Bible tells me to be in fellowship with other Christians and to further the Gospel?
    And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

Church community is an essential part of Christianity.

I'm not a Roman Catholic, but I believe church is important and I won't have an atheist tell me how I should be Christian, rather I will look to the Bible for that much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

I read Jack & the Beanstalk recently.

I think I'm going to worship the Golden Goose. The Goose created the universe and the giant is the embodiment of all evil in the world........nobodies allowed to criticise me because they are my beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You're asking why I took issue with the bit I took issue with while not bothering with the bits I didn't care about? I thought religious people were supposed to be good with circular arguments.

If I really have to spell it out, your post read like you're clinging harder to your faith because it allows you to feel different from the folks who tried persecuting you for it first, and because of actual belief second. Do you not feel different enough by not throwing petrol bombs or not breaking kneecaps or not writing nasty graffiti or whatever it was that made you feel persecuted in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

philologos wrote: »
    I'm not a Roman Catholic, but I believe church is important and I won't have an atheist tell me how I should be Christian, rather I will look to the Bible for that much.

Dublin Red Devil's post was aimed at Roman Catholics so as a non-Catholic your point is moot.
    He wasn't telling you, in whatever religion you hold, how to be a " ...." fill in your religion. You seem to be looking for insult where there was none given.

Except for the fact that the Bible tells me to be in fellowship with other Christians and to further the Gospel?

Church community is an essential part of Christianity.

Then meet other Christians. Have a club meeting, But once you involve money and hierarchy into a club, it become corrupt and ignores the core values of what formed the club in the 1st place. Human greed turns something spiritual into something evil and discusting,

That's why organised religion is wrong, Believing in God is spiritual thing. Its your faith, your personal belief.

I read Jack & the Beanstalk recently.

I think I'm going to worship the Golden Goose. The Goose created the universe and the giant is the embodiment of all evil in the world........nobodies allowed to criticise me because they are my beliefs.

I think religion and belief should not have any special privileges in society that means it should have immunity from criticism or ridicule as some religious people seem to think should be the case.

However I would not ridicule people for whatever beliefs they have. If religious people try the tack of conflating the two by saying that they're inextricably linked, and state that by criticising their beliefs then I by extension criticise or mock them as individuals (a few religious people have tried that with me when in discussion about religion) then that's their problem. I just make it clear I bear them no ill will and they can believe whatever fairy stories they like as long as it doesn't impinge on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Then meet other Christians. Have a club meeting, But once you involve money and hierarchy into a club, it become corrupt and ignores the core values of what formed the club in the 1st place. Human greed turns something spiritual into something evil and discusting,

Could not agree more! Any sport goes professional and has an organisational structure, it certainly "becomes corrupt and ignores the core values of what formed the club", just look at Man United

:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

No. Organised Religion is a massive global scam. The catholic church is a disgrace, All the corruption, The long history of Physical, Mental and Sexual abuse. How anyone can still walk into a church and support that evil organisation is beyond me.

If you want to believe in a God that's fine. Get a bible and read it at home. You can have a person relationship with your Lord, A spirituality

But don't listen to or give your money to those scumbags in the church.
    I would agree with a lot of what you say, early Christians gathered in the upper rooms of private homes and studied the word before religious cults such as the Catholic Church took over.

The "Church" in the true Biblical sense is the body of believers who have a personal relationship in Christ through his word.

Yes you're right and then someone came along and had an Idea of how he could make money off this Christianity thing. And the greed of man took over and corruption set in. hierarchy formed, Money changed hands and here we are today

You're asking why I took issue with the bit I took issue with while not bothering with the bits I didn't care about?

Because you reached a conclusion on me based solely on the piece you had a problem with - end of.

Could not agree more! Any sport goes professional and has an organisational structure, it certainly "becomes corrupt and ignores the core values of what formed the club", just look at Man United

:-)
    :Pyou must be a Liverpool fan or just an ABU

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

not a christian so no

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Do you just skip over the parts about stoning gays to death, selling slaves, and that eating lobster is an abomination?

bluewolf wrote: »
    not a christian so no

Just curious-are you a member of another religion, or none? no problem if you'd rather not say, just asking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Because you reached a conclusion on me based solely on the piece you had a problem with - end of.

No, the rest of what you wrote was pretty informative too. Just not directly relevant. Try to stop feeling so persecuted, and just choose your words more carefully next time so you don't come across as... well, sectarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Nah I just wear black, light candles and incense and chant in Latin.

I guess pagans and Catholics aren't that different...

• Advertisement

No, the rest of what you wrote was pretty informative too. Just not directly relevant. Try to stop feeling so persecuted, and just choose your words more carefully next time so you don't come across as... well, sectarian.

Classic!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

What I really do not understand is why so many people here are stating that while they don't agree with the teachings of the pope, they're still forcing their kids to go to mass in a Catholic Church-- if religion is so important to you that you will force your own offspring to attend against their will, then the LEAST you can do is do some intelligent research yourselves and find a religion which actually DOES reflect your own personal beliefs.

It's more of a tribal/sectarian thing to be honest. Most people in Ireland who believe in the Abrahamic God would have beliefs far closer to Protestantism than Roman Catholicism. On the other hand, Protestantism is a dirty word in this country so people still label themselves Catholic.

The weirdest thing is, they'll even stretch the definition of Catholic so far that it becomes meaningless. For example, you'll find people who are pro abortion, pro pre-marital sex, pro birth control, pro divorce and anti-pope who still consider themselves Catholic. I've even seen gays in this very forum convinced that they were Catholic. The mind boggles.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Do you just skip over the parts about stoning gays to death, selling slaves, and that eating lobster is an abomination?

I wonder if this one is observed:

Deuteronomy 22:11

"You must not wear clothing made of wool and linen woven together.

The abomination of mixed fibres!

Have you read "Why can't I own a Canadian"? :D one of the funniest things I've ever read, and illustrates how ridiculous and hypocritical some Christians can be condemning certain things because their bible says so (or they think their bible tells them to) while ignoring those passages that don't suit them.

As much as I despise religion, the bible, the pope I get stumped when people say: It's MY religion, it works for ME!

Greentopia wrote: »

Yeah, whenever I see people waving bible quotes about hating gays I wish I was there to remind them in the exact same book it condones slavery and says eating certain seafood is a sin punishable by death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

No I don't.

Firstly, sin warrants the death penalty (Romans 1), but Jesus on our behalf took that away by His death on the cross. If Jesus has died for me, I can't expect the death penalty from anyone else in the light of that.

Secondly, Jesus fulfilled the dietary laws in Mark 7.

Thirdly, what I think about slavery can be found on this thread. It's too lengthy to discuss in a brief manner.

Christians read the Bible as a whole, and the New Testament influences how we see the old. Again entirely Biblical (2 Corinthians 3).

That's why organised religion is wrong, Believing in God is spiritual thing. Its your faith, your personal belief.

That is still the organised meeting of Christians. A club meeting about Christ, and worshipping Him and so on is still church just under a different guise. I don't think it is immoral to go to church and support my brothers and sisters in Christ, and grow in my faith there.

My policy is if a church stops being about the core values - I go elsewhere.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I used to when I was a pup but now it's only once a year at Xmas. I find it all rather boring if I'm honest. Do you be going regularly?

I don't go at all, ever. Waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Greentopia wrote: »

Yeah, whenever I see people waving bible quotes about hating gays I wish I was there to remind them in the exact same book it condones slavery and says eating certain seafood is a sin punishable by death.

you should just tell them to turn the other cheeks! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

I go to a evangelical CofE church in London and mid-week talks that happen near my office, I regard it as important to hear God's word, and worship, but also in encouraging others in the Gospel, and vice versa, in order that we might be able to share that truth with those around us.

Siuin: Personally if I have kids, I would bring them to church as well. Firstly, because if I believe what I do, it is essential that they know about Jesus, secondly because irrespective of what I share with them as they get older they will think about it for themselves, and thirdly do you seriously think that Christians should get a babysitter every time they want to go to church?

If any child of mine expressed a disinterest in going to church, I would actively discuss with them as to why that was the case and try and help them to resolve issues they might be having with Christianity. That's the right thing to do if I genuinely believe that one needs to accept Jesus to be saved, and if I believe He will return in judgement.

Please excuse my ignorance but, saved from what?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

That actually pisses me off that you would force someone until the age of 16 to attend something simply because it fits in with your own personal ideals. When they're old enough to articulate that they don't wish to be there, they're old enough to not be forced to go. I don't see what you think you're achieving by forcing them- if anything it'll simply make them more bitter towards the Catholic Church.

I say this as someone who attends services twice a week-- if my child ever said they would rather not go, I would not in a million years tell them otherwise. Faith is a wholly personal matter.

I'd say let him/her go on with it. There's no better way to ensure that the kids will grow up hating to go to church.

Advertisement