Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you go to Mass regularly?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,201 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

philologos wrote: »
    Except for the fact that the Bible tells me to be in fellowship with other Christians and to further the Gospel?

Church community is an essential part of Christianity.

I'm not a Roman Catholic, but I believe church is important and I won't have an atheist tell me how I should be Christian, rather I will look to the Bible for that much.

You quote a book called Hebrews to make a point about the fellowship of Christians?

The Bible also tells you can own slaves and kill people who work on Sundays. We both know everyone can play the Bible game. Perhaps I get more spiriual reflection from solitude? Suppose I get make a better connection to my God when alone? Does that mean I'm wrong because the Bible tells me I should be in company?

No. The Bible does not tell you to do anything. It advises, it teaches, but it does not order.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Surley wrote: »
    Please excuse my ignorance but, saved from what?

Saved from God himself. A bit like being saved from the Mafia by paying the Mafia protection money.

Mafia: "Pay us money and we'll protect you."

You: "From Whom?"

Mafia: "Err, from us."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Greentopia wrote: »
    Just curious-are you a member of another religion, or none? no problem if you'd rather not say, just asking :)

buddhist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

My deal with churches is, I've never met a unpleasant catholic priest. I'm sure their are some, but I've never known them.

But I don't go to church for them. I don't go to church to think 'bet he was involved in child abuse' or 'bet he's gonna scam these old people out of a few quid' I go, because of my belief in god. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

every sunday without fail man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

bluewolf wrote: »
    buddhist

Ah, ok. Thank's for telling me. I have a close friend who's a Nichiren Buddhist. I'd view Buddhism as more a philosophy than a religion. My friend tried to get me interested in it, and I read up on Nichiren but it's not for me.

Now Zen Buddhism I could see myself getting something from as it seems to focus a lot on meditation and enlightenment. I'd find that useful I think.
    Also Buddhism is compatible with my atheism so I may look into it actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

cloud493 wrote: »
    My deal with churches is, I've never met a unpleasant catholic priest. I'm sure their are some, but I've never known them.

I've met a few I've liked too. I may despise the Catholic church as an institution but priests are human beings and I take them as I find them and treat them as individuals as I would anyone else.

I had a great chat with a young priest in Archbishop Desmond Martin's house in Drumcondra when I was leaving the church a few years ago. Pleasant enough guy-I brought up the issue of child abuse within the church, among other issues I had with it, and he said he wanted to stay in the church and effect change from within. I thought that was rather deluded and naive thinking but I could see he was at least sincere in his convictions.

Now nuns on the other hand...had a few of them who taught me in school that were rather less than pleasant. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

Seeing the Catholic Church and Catholics individually suffer so grievously at the hands of loyalist paramilitaries over the troubles was another reason why I was determined to attend - people up here were killed for their faith and I never lost sight of that

Would you not question religion?

Imagine, if only young Luther hadn't gotten so uppity over transubstantiation.......

Luther: It doesn't taste much like blood. Are you sure it's blood?
    RC Church: Yes, it's actually Jesus's real live blood.
    Luther: Seriously?
    RC Church: Yes
    Luther: You mean it's a metaphor for christ living forever, his blood flowing through us metaphorically?
    RC Church: No it's actually his blood. His real actual blood
    Luther: But it's wine
    RC Church: Did you not see me do the Amen, Hocus-Pocus trick. That changes it from wine to blood.
    Luther: You better go back to magic school kid? I believe we we shouldn't be taking metaphors literally. Clearly Jesus was telling a story, christs blood is everlasting, meaning he lives forever through us if we remember him......yada yada......was jesus promoting cannibalism?
    RC Church: Blasphemy!!.........Blasphemy!!!....................Blasphemy!!!
    Luther: Screw you guys, I'm off to form my old religion, your magic is ****......
    RC Church: Blasphemy!!!!Blasphemy!!!!Blasphemy!!!!Blasphemy!!!!Blasphemy!!!!
    Hang em! Burn em! Stone up!.........Invent guns and shoot em!!..............Leave bombs in chipper's on em...........!! .......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The church, its paedophilic members and it's ignorant/dumb followers can go fück itself. Funerals only.

You have to be majorly thick to support or believe that shïte in this day and age.

Maybe say that to someones face that they are ignorant/dumb and see how you get on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Maybe say that to someones face that they are ignorant/dumb and see how you get on.
    Well i would have thought that as christians they would turn the other cheek and forgive.It IS in the bible after all.

• Advertisement

He is a big man behind a keyboard though, insulting a hell of a lot of people with idiotic comments.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Do you just skip over the parts about stoning gays to death, selling slaves, and that eating lobster is an abomination?
    No no no!!
    Silly/ bad stuff = Parable. Needs interpretation.
    Good stuff = Face value

Well i would have thought that as christians trhey would turn the other cheek and forgive.It IS in the bible after all.

So you agree with what he said then do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Imagine, if only young Luther hadn't gotten so uppity over transubstantiation.......

Luther: You mean it's a metaphor for christ living forever, his blood flowing through us metaphorically?
    RC Church: Did you not see me do the Amen, Hocus-Pocus trick. That changes it from wine to blood.
    Luther: You better go back to magic school kid? I believe we we shouldn't be taking metaphors literally. Clearly Jesus was telling a story, christs blood is everlasting, meaning he lives forever through us if we remember him......yada yada......was jesus promoting cannibalism?
    Luther: Screw you guys, I'm off to form my old religion, your magic is ****......
    Hang em! Burn em! Stone up!.........Invent guns and shoot em!!..............Leave bombs in chipper's on em...........!! .......
    The Catholic church thrives on this form of "magic"and superstition yet such daemonic occult practices are forbidden in scripture.

http://solitaryroad.com/scrip25.html

So you agree with what he said then do you?
    No. How do you infer that?
    Im just pointing out how jesus instructs his followers to deal with such comments.
    Matthew 5:39

No. How do you infer that?
    Im just pointing out how jesus instructs his followers to deal with such comments.

I wasn't inferring anything, just asking you what your opinion of what he said was. Personally I have no problem with what anyone believes or doesn't believe in. But calling people ignorant and dumb because of their personal beliefs or faith ain't cool, and it was Catholics he was aiming it at.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Greentopia wrote: »
    Ah, ok. Thank's for telling me. I have a close friend who's a Nichiren Buddhist. I'd view Buddhism as more a philosophy than a religion. My friend tried to get me interested in it, and I read up on Nichiren but it's not for me.

Now Zen Buddhism I could see myself getting something from as it seems to focus a lot on meditation and enlightenment. I'd find that useful I think.
    Also Buddhism is compatible with my atheism so I may look into it actually.

Yes, nichiren is mahayana, I prefer theravada. While I do believe in rebirth, I am not into the other superstitions or revering of buddha himself (who cares who specifically wrote the philosophies or the way if it makes sense in itself?)
    theravada is more about analysis I reckon
    not a fan of zen
    Theravada promotes the concept of Vibhajjavada (Pali), literally "Teaching of Analysis." This doctrine says that insight must come from the aspirant's experience, critical investigation, and reasoning instead of by blind faith; however, the scriptures of the Theravadin tradition also emphasize heeding the advice of the wise, considering such advice and evaluation of one's own experiences to be the two tests by which practices should be judged.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theravada

meditation is quite useful in everyday life, as is practising mindfulness. you could look into those. or not, as you prefer, I'm not interested in trying to recruit anyone - different strokes for different folks :)

I wasn't inferring anything, just asking you what your opinion of what he said was. Personally I have no problem with what anyone believes or doesn't believe in. But calling people ignorant and dumb because of their personal beliefs or faith ain't cool, and it was Catholics he was aiming it at.
    "So you agree with what he said then do you"
    Isnt quite the same as .
    "And what is your oopinion on what the poster said"
    How you phrased it infered that you thought I agreed with the poster based on the content of my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Do I go to mass?
    Haha f*ck no! I thought no young person willingly went anymore.

"So you agree with what he said then do you"
    Isnt quite the same as .
    "And what is your oopinion on what the poster said"
    How you phrased it infered that you thought I agreed with the poster based on the content of my post.

Good to know that you didn't agree with him.

• Advertisement

1ZRed wrote: »
    Do I go to mass?
    Haha f*ck no! I thought no young person willingly went anymore.

Lots of young people in the churches around Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Haven't been to mass since I was 15, I'm 35 now and will never go back apart from weddings etc. I have better things to do with my time tbh, I work hard all week and get precious little weekend time as it is.

Lots of young people in the churches around Galway.

Yeah but how many are willingly there? I was made to go by my parents until I was 14 or 15 and I have no desire to go back except for Christmas eve, weddings etc and all my friends are the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Yeah but how many are willingly there? I was made to go by my parents until I was 14 or 15 and I have no desire to go back except for Christmas eve, weddings etc and all my friends are the same.

Why do you have a desire to go Christmas Eve?

There is a mixture of young kids and teens all right but alot of them look early 20s as well.

micropig wrote: »
    Why do you have a desire to go Christmas Eve?

It's more just tradition. All my family go and then we meet up afterwards at my grandparents. I think it's just nice and I see it as more a custom than anything religious.

There is a mixture of young kids and teens all right but alot of them look early 20s as well.

Alright fair enough if that's what you notice but people think I'm in my early 20s when I'm just 18 so looks can be deceiving.

Sorry, but he loses points for missing out on the obvious vampire reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    You quote a book called Hebrews to make a point about the fellowship of Christians?

The Bible also tells you can own slaves and kill people who work on Sundays. We both know everyone can play the Bible game. Perhaps I get more spiriual reflection from solitude? Suppose I get make a better connection to my God when alone? Does that mean I'm wrong because the Bible tells me I should be in company?

No. The Bible does not tell you to do anything. It advises, it teaches, but it does not order.

Practically the same response as I received earlier. You might want to catch up here.

The Bible very clearly does tell me as a Christian what I should so. Particularly in respect to obeying the words of Jesus.

The Bible very clearly tells Christians to be in fellowship with one another. I'll take that over the advice of atheists telling me I should just keep God private.

It depends on the church really. At my church a sizeable portion of the congregation are in their twenties and willingly so. Some younger, some older.

• Advertisement

philologos wrote: »
    Practically the same response as I received earlier. You might want to catch up here.

The Bible very clearly does tell me as a Christian what I should so. Particularly in respect to obeying the words of Jesus.

The Bible very clearly tells Christians to be in fellowship with one another. I'll take that over the advice of atheists telling me I should just keep God private.

It depends on the church really. At my church a sizeable portion of the congregation are in their twenties and willingly so. Some younger, some older.

Doesn't change what I said: it advises, it does not tell or order.

And it also implies equality. Christisn in the fellowship of Christians is one thing, but one Christian dictating to a group of Christians is another. If anything, your quote hints toward something like Bible study and discussion, rather than one man dictating at a service.

Advertisement