Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(UK) Man loses 5 of his kids in a fire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Dudess wrote: »
    Burning down the house with no intent to harm anyone is nuts enough... but alleged intent to kill the children therein? Too much to process all together... :confused:

Its a complicated part of the legal system alright, there has been similar cases in Common Law which I'm sure were looked at in deciding the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Intent to harm is enough for murder I thought?

Intent to kill plus the physical act are needed. In this case the probability of their actions causing death were enough for the Crown Prosecution Service to recommend murder, it didn't matter that they may not have intended to kill anybody.

I'd be surprised if the CPS doesn't settle for Manslaughter in the end anyway.

omg why kill the kids and burn down the house a scam ?????

someone explain plz :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Maybe I'm just incredibly naive, but I just can't believe that anyone would intend to kill their children for a new house.
    I really think they must have just planned on burning the house, but had assumed they could get everyone out in time.
    Maybe I have too much faith in humanity though.

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm just incredibly naive, but I just can't believe that anyone would intend to kill their children for a new house.
    I really think they must have just planned on burning the house, but had assumed they could get everyone out in time.

you still have faith in humanity :confused:

i was walking downtown and saw a 7-8 month gone pregnant girl smoking poor baby wtf is wrong with people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

LH Pathe wrote: »
    A murder charge in these circumstances paints a picture of the worst possible english family image so in finding no reason to not do so they must be on to something.
    Think the wife is Irish, also remember seeing a pic of the kids on local news here - one of the boys had a Dublin GAA top on.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,882 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

All aload of crap i think,
    Unless they admitted to it, Or been forced to admit to it,
    I don't get it , Burn house while kids are upstairs.
    Makes no sense,

I doubt they'll go for the murder charge in the end but if they set the fire and claim that they had no intent to harm anyone the only way that could be true would be if they're so ahem, mentally challenged, that they could never be integrated into society.

Makes no sense,

If they did it while everyone was away (hard to do) there would have been little publicity, a dramatic escape gets national publicity.

• Advertisement

Makes no sense,

thats scum for you

who would of thought a load of muslums would fly planes into two towers makes no sence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Think the wife is Irish, also remember seeing a pic of the kids on local news here - one of the boys had a Dublin GAA top on.

You're right

Some of the kids have Derby football shirts, makes sense living in Derby

One lad has a Dublin jersey

pic

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Think I'll wait for a trial or further information to be made available before I pass judgement on the couple.

The police themselves have asked the public to show restraint on the matter, and have said that although people have been arrested or charged, the investigation is far from over.

Seriously like, if it was up to the public they'd be hanged already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

In fairness, I don't think either one of these parents are rocket scientists.

My feeling is that drink was taken, thought they could probably set a "little" fire, just enough to do damage that would allow them to get a new house but not being rocket scientists they over estimated the amount of petrol used.

It just leaves tragedy in its wake

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Those poor kids. I'm sure they did nothing to deserve anything like this. I hope the perp swings for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

When they were sobbing in front of the press the wife stopped for a split second and made eye contact with the husband. Looked very conspicuous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

*sigh* Put the two together n it's devastating. Know it only too well.. n they're the posh version. Locale wise anyhow my "cuz" is a cheltenham chav. aunt is a turncoat.. etc. Gotta be related to it to believe it for home is where the hurt is. Aspired to British citizenship so I'll have that Irish passport back pls

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

mishkalucy wrote: »
    In fairness, I don't think either one of these parents are rocket scientists.

My feeling is that drink was taken, thought they could probably set a "little" fire, just enough to do damage that would allow them to get a new house but not being rocket scientists they over estimated the amount of petrol used.

It just leaves tragedy in its wake

i agree this is the most plausible explanation.
    had their little "stunt" succeeded the attendant publicity, another appearance on chav TV etc. would also have been very tempting for them.

social welfare rules need changing so as not to encourage people like this from having so many kids in the first place. personally i feel that all benefits ought to be frozen after the 3rd child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Anyone mention gerry and kate mccann yet?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Just you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

John Doe1 wrote: »

Yup, you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

LH Pathe wrote: »
    *sigh* Put the two together n it's devastating. Know it only too well.. n they're the posh version. Locale wise anyhow my "cuz" is a cheltenham chav. aunt is a turncoat.. etc. Gotta be related to it to believe it for home is where the hurt is. Aspired to British citizenship so I'll have that Irish passport back pls
    What? I wasn't trying to argue people should feel more emotional because of an Irish connection, just not to be so quick to dish out derogatory terms about lower/working class English, chavs, etc.
    social welfare rules need changing so as not to encourage people like this from having so many kids in the first place. personally i feel that all benefits ought to be frozen after the 3rd child.
    Changing SW rules won't stop people like this having more kids. You think they stop just before sex and go "oh hold on, our budget is stretched - better take precautions".

Better education and opportunities do.

What? I wasn't trying to argue people should feel more emotional because of an Irish connection, just not to be so quick to dish out derogatory terms about lower/working class English, chavs, etc.

Changing SW rules won't stop people like this having more kids. You think they stop just before sex and go "oh hold on, our budget is stretched - better take precautions".

Better education and opportunities do.

i disagree the SW system encourages people like this to have kids. the more kids they have, the more SW they receive.
    you don't need a PhD in Economics to work that out.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

you got it.

But I believe class distinction to be attained by the individual; in culture and morals as opposed to etiquette or locale or education.

i agree this is the most plausible explanation.
    had their little "stunt" succeeded the attendant publicity, another appearance on chav TV etc. would also have been very tempting for them.

Ah come on Goodie, surely you must see that this is not a representation of people on social welfare?????????????

Are you saying that all people on SW who have more than 3 children are capable of incinerating them just to get a bigger house?

This has nothing to do with SW.
    It has everything thing to do with the people who are not mentally sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

i disagree the SW system encourages people like this to have kids. the more kids they have, the more SW they receive.
    you don't need a PhD in Economics to work that out.:rolleyes:

I agree, SW as it stands, does encourage some people of that frame of mind to keeping having children, there needs to be a cut off point where people have to take responsibility. If not the state steps in to support their lifestyle. Maybe the state should step in and sterilise?

Kate & Gerry Mc Cann

Is that guy still chained up outside the offices in Limerick demanding a bigger house?

This case in the UK is tragic. Whether they set it or not, the children didn't deserve it.

A judge in England yesterday let off a mother whose son drunk fertilizer she had for growing cannabis. She was asleep and the child (2-3?) was thirsty. Unfortunately he died. She was laughing leaving the court. The judge said she had suffered enough. So...........?

Micropig

Were you on holiday???????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Its happening here too, Just nobody killed yet, Only a matter of time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Micropig

Were you on holiday???????????????

I got addicted to real life there for a while, It just sucked me right in and kept me AFK*. It was 24/7, Rough going:D

*AFK- Away From Keyboard

• Advertisement

Ah come on Goodie, surely you must see that this is not a representation of people on social welfare?????????????

Are you saying that all people on SW who have more than 3 children are capable of incinerating them just to get a bigger house?

This has nothing to do with SW.
    It has everything thing to do with the people who are not mentally sound

no of course i am not saying "all people on SW who have more than 3 children are capable of incinerating them just to get a bigger house". that's just plain silly.

however what i am saying is the SW system incentifies people to have large families and needs to be changed. if these people had to earn ie work in order to have & rear their kids, then they wouldn't have so many. most folk i know have 2, 3 kids max 'cos they cant afford to have any more.

i know these concepts may be difficult to grasp, but please try.:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement