Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(UK) Man loses 5 of his kids in a fire

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Assisting police with their enquiries ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Thats horrific! No one deserves that kind of death, especially not young kinds :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Another twist to this horror story and if it's proved the couple were responsible then they are just two selfish , horrible individuals who would gladly have let some other innocent person's take the blame .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Assisting police with their enquiries ;)

Not that amusing, surely?

Just a term you hear in the media

I was following on from the post above me,
    Not trying to joke about what happened

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The parents have been charged...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-18261680
    The parents of six children who died in a house fire in Derby have been charged with their murders.

Jade Philpott, 10, and brothers John, nine, Jack, eight, Jessie, six and Jayden, five, died in the house fire on Victory Road on 11 May.

Another brother, Duwayne, 13, died three days later in hospital.

Mick Philpott, 55, and his wife Mairead, 31, are due to appear before Southern Derbyshire Magistrates' Court on Thursday morning.

Derbyshire Police's Assistant Chief Constable Steve Cotterill said: "Following the appeal yesterday a number of people have come forward with more information but I want to stress that the two charges this evening should not be seen as the end of the investigation.

"We are determined to get to the truth of what happened and still want people to speak to us to tell us what they know about this tragedy."

It's just so puzzling, the whole thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,927 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's just so puzzling, the whole thing :(

Mind-boggling is what I'd call it :eek:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Mind-boggling is what I'd call it :eek:

None of it makes sense which is why I'd be reluctant to believe it to be true until a conviction is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I hope whoever did it gets life, just hope it not the parents.

That would just put this terrible tragedy to new horror levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

This whole story is just horrifying :( The poor remaining kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

there is nothing to say.........frightening..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Truly Horrific, I'd agree with others posters here that their intention had been to burn down the house without harming the children. Things obviously went horribly wrong, fire is lethal, especially if you have no comprehension of how quickly it can destroy like this pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Does the murder charge not imply intent to kill?!

As opposed to a fire gone wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

yermandan wrote: »

Was wondering about that myself, perhaps they have to be charged with murder when the police believe it to be arson.

yermandan wrote: »

Arson coupled with Reckless Endangerment leading to manslaughter. If the mens rea isn't present for murder they won't be charged with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

what a disgusting scam and a bad ending..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Would it be murder if the 'parents' paid someone to put the petrol through the letter box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Murder...?! :confused:

Sky News is gonna piss itself - advertising revenue, ching-ching!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

• Advertisement

Are the people who were outraged earlier in the thread about the suggestion it may have been the parents for this reason are still outraged that people could possibly have suggested such a thing?

Arson coupled with Reckless Endangerment leading to manslaughter. If the mens rea isn't present for murder they won't be charged with it.

On reflection if the defendents knew that the probability of their actions would lead to death or grievous bodily harm then that could be deemed as sufficient mens rea (intent) for murder. Therefore a murder charge can't be ruled out.

On reflection if the defendents knew that the probability of their actions would lead to death or grievous bodily harm then that could be deemed as sufficient mens rea (intent) for murder. Therefore a murder charge can't be ruled out.

And if they didn't know that they should be in an institution where they can't harm themselves or others.

Trial of the year, going to be non stop coverage

Shameless Mick will be a household name pretty soon

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

The poor remaining kids.

At least the other children have different mothers so they won't be 'orphaned' or have to go into care. And none of them lived with the father so their home situations won't change. But it will still obviously be hellish to lose their 5 half siblings and step-brother and find that their father may be responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Pure scumbags if it's true.:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Still in shock to hear that they've been charged with murder.
    Some days I really don't understand people. How could anyone ever do that to their own kids? (provided of course they're found guilty)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Burning down the house with no intent to harm anyone is nuts enough... but alleged intent to kill the children therein? Too much to process all together... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

A murder charge in these circumstances paints a picture of the worst possible english family image so in finding no reason to not do so they must be on to something... n if anyone is shocked by that; yer too used to the manslaughter charge which is designed to protect a nations record ahead of the perpetrators for we are fair twee'd out here; squeamish soft and naive. Did I mention gullible.. not nearly as depraved; but keep on digging for similarities n we may create one.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Burning down the house with no intent to harm anyone is nuts enough... but alleged intent to kill the children therein? Too much to process all together... :confused:

Intent to harm is enough for murder I thought?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement