Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(UK) Man loses 5 of his kids in a fire

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

He planned to rescue them from the fire so he'd look like a hero and the former partner would be a villain.

He started the fire with petrol which causes thick black smoke.

He thought all the kids where in the upstairs backroom so he left a ladder at the back window before starting the fire.

Turns out they weren't all in that room.

When they were dragged from the house and lying in the front garden he didn't even bother staying to see if they were ok.

He walked across to his neighbours house across the road.

I, like everyone else at the time I suppose, read about the story but I hadnt really kept up on it.

I thought the whole thing was tragic before what you have told me.
    Now I'm just at a loss :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Whatever about the bizarre lifestyle, Mick Phipott has a history of violence having been convicted of stabbing a former partner, another woman much younger than himself, who tried to leave him.

Mairead made at least two accusations of rape against men other than her husband and according to one sister was having sex for money when one man's wife found them. The sex for money turned into rape accusations upon discovery.

Mick and his wife consoled themselves by going on shopping trips while their 6 children lay dead in the morgue, complained that the hospital hadn't provided food for them and generally did everything they could to act inappropriately and draw attention to themselves in the time after they killed their children.

The three convicted of the six killings had apparently engaged in dogging around Derby.

Life times 6 each to run consecutively?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Nasty piece of work, hope his porridge is served without mercy.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

Same. Until the documentary went into alot of detail.

He previously appeared on Jeremy Kyle and a reality ITV show called the biggest scrounger, I think it was called.

On those shows he appeared to be a violent, violent man. Threatening both Jeremy Kyle and Anne Witheckham (?) .

mathepac wrote: »
    Whatever about the bizarre lifestyle, Mick Phipott has a history of violence having been convicted of stabbing a former partner, another woman much younger than himself, who tried to leave him.

Mairead made at least two accusations of rape against men other than her husband and according to one sister was having sex for money when one man's wife found them. The sex for money turned into rape accusations upon discovery.

Mick and his wife consoled themselves by going on shopping trips while their 6 children lay dead in the morgue, complained that the hospital hadn't provided food for them and generally did everything they could to act inappropriately and draw attention to themselves in the time after they killed their children.

The three convicted of the six killings had apparently engaged in dogging around Derby.

Life times 6 each to run consecutively?

Not sure, they were charged with manslaughter and not murder. So I don't know how sentencing will pan out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I really wish I hadn't opened this thread. When you have kids, these threads wouldn't do you any good. This is my first time hearing about this. Where the fcuk was I last year.

What an insane bastard. To set fire to a house over a custody hearing & to risk your children's lives. I hope he stays in jail long enough that he dies in there.

RIP to the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Watched the doc on UTV,the guy is absolute scum and those poor kids paid for it. He was scum since he was young, stabbed an ex-girlfriend and her mother when he was 20.

The comments some of the neighbours made, he grabbed some birds ass and said to a neighbour, that's what I like, an hour after his kids died. The 13 year old was not killed right away and was in hospital but they wouldn't go with him to the hospital. Scum of the highest order and I hope he rots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

One of the media reports said he miscalculated the amount of fuel he used and the heat generated was simply to hot to even get near the children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Though usually implaccably oppossed to the death penalty even I have to admit that all three should be hanged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Temaz wrote: »
    One of the media reports said he miscalculated the amount of fuel he used and the heat generated was simply to hot to even get near the children.

Because he was a fool who thought he was smarter than everyone else.

God what a scumbag. I don't judge his lifestyle, different strokes and all, but their home was clearly not suitable for raising children in. He and the wife seemed to be almost feral.

Hope they get the longest sentence possible (life) and the other prisoners make their lives HELL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Not sure, they were charged with manslaughter and not murder. So I don't know how sentencing will pan out.

In England and Wales there is no maximum sentence for manslaughter, and a life sentence is at the discretion of the judge. Not much doubt according to pundits on radio 5 this morning that Philpott will get life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    What an insane bastard. To set fire to a house over a custody hearing & to risk your children's lives. I hope he stays in jail long enough that he dies in there.

I doubt he'll get more than 10 years, and I'd guess 6-7 to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

He'd be better off getting 20 years for his own safety tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Complete and utter idiot scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

token101 wrote: »
    I doubt he'll get more than 10 years, and I'd guess 6-7 to be honest.

I reckon life with at the very least 20 years before he is considerd for parole.

I think he'll get the maximum sentence possible.

He's in his 50's I think. I doubt he'll be free again.

Maximum possible sentence x 6 for each life he took.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Maximum possible sentence x 6 for each life he took.
    Sentencing doesn't really work that way. There were 6 deaths, but the crimes all occurred at the same time so the sentences all run concurrently. For sentencing purposes it's basically treated as a single incident.

While on paper the sentence may be 10 years on each count of manslaughter, all of the sentences will run concurrently and he only spends 10 years in prison.

The seriously negligent and callous nature of the crime, coupled with his actions afterwards and his refusal to plead guilty will play against him and I've no doubt he'll get the maximum sentence on each count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

All surplus money donated for the funeral was requested to be given in Argos Vouchers

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Boombastic wrote: »
    All surplus money donated for the funeral was requested to be given in Argos Vouchers

That's a joke right?

• Advertisement

That's a joke right?

No :mad:

I read it in an article about the last night, I'll see can I find it now....

This is such a horrific case in so many ways

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

mind blowing stuff:(

seamus wrote: »
    Sentencing doesn't really work that way. There were 6 deaths, but the crimes all occurred at the same time so the sentences all run concurrently. For sentencing purposes it's basically treated as a single incident.

While on paper the sentence may be 10 years on each count of manslaughter, all of the sentences will run concurrently and he only spends 10 years in prison.

The seriously negligent and callous nature of the crime, coupled with his actions afterwards and his refusal to plead guilty will play against him and I've no doubt he'll get the maximum sentence on each count.

Thanks for clearing that up!

He didnt give two ***** about his kids. All he cared about was his benefits. To the point of obsession.

He was getting £60'000 a year in benefits.

There was one scene in the documentary on ITV that showed a bunk bed out in the back garden being covered by a marquee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

seamus wrote: »

I can't get my head around this. If I come home and catch my spouse riding someone else and I kill my spouse do I get to kill the other person for free?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

What in the utter ****...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9967260/Derby-fire-Mick-Philpott-saw-childrens-funeral-donations-as-way-to-get-rich-quick.html

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Some people are just evil

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

dregin wrote: »

Just when you thought the callous bastard couldn't get any worse...I just can't believes the depths to which some human beings can sink :mad:

dregin wrote: »

That's the one, Thanks!

Also

The couple were keen to ‘get rich quick’ off the back of the children’s deaths, receiving at least £3,100 directly in cash gifts which they used to buy new sportswear and to get drunk at parties................

The pattern of extraordinary behaviour also saw Philpott:
    ■ Fake a collapse and joke around in a hospital mortuary
    ■ Sing the 1975 Elvis Presley songs Suspicious Minds and My Boy on a pub karaoke machine and proposition a female police officer during a ‘jovial’ visit to a hospital when he called his children ‘little sh***’
    ■ Appear at a barbecue where his drunken wife showed off a new pair of £80 pink trainers.
    ■ Become ‘fixated’ with creaming off the remainder of a fund to cover the children’s funeral costs and convert it into Argos vouchers.
    ■ Tell fundraisers to collect and sell teddy bears which had been left outside the burned family home, ordering one wellwisher: ‘Shut up and just get on with it.’
    ■ Play the entire second half of a charity football match staged to raise funds for the family.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

He wanted to sell all the toys that parents had left in memory of the young ones.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement