Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(UK) Man loses 5 of his kids in a fire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^ he never worked a day in his life

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mick Philpott has been given life. Minimum 15 years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭LindowMan

Why is everyone focused on Mick Philpott? There are THREE people on trial here who have all been charged with exactly the same crime, namely six counts of manslaughter.

Here's live commentary on the sentencing: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-22023117

His wife Mairead has been given 17 years.

That seems harsher on the surface, but she can be considered for parole after 8.5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Judge said in her sentencing statement that Philpott's grief was simulated. No surprise then with respect to the life sentence

The wife got 17 years, with minimum of 9

• Advertisement

Mrs Justice Thirlwall says Mick Philpott's life sentence will see him serve a minimum of 15 years.

Same sentence for Mosley - 17 years, minimum of half that to be served.

Quote from judge: "Whether you are ever released is a matter for the parole board"

I'd say he'll not be getting out

Mick Philpott gets the shortest sentence yet has to spend the longest in prison. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭washiskin

LindowMan wrote: »
    Why is everyone focused on Mick Philpott? There are THREE people on trial here.

Here's live commentary on the sentencing: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-22023117

He was the ringleader - he seemed to have his doormat wife completely under his thumb and that mate of his was a complete flunkey. The whole basis of his "plan" was to get rid of the one person who stood up to him & took her kids out of the situation that he was revelling in.
    He was a money mad egomaniac who saw his little kids as a meal ticket even after he'd killed them :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

seamus wrote: »
    Mick Philpott has been given life. Minimum 15 years

he should be getting six life sentences

The wife got 17 years, with minimum of 9

I can't find where it says she has to serve just nine years.

All I can see on the commentary is this:

Breaking news 1108:
    Mairead Philpott is jailed for 17 years for the manslaughter of six children in a house fire in Derby.

Mick Philpott gets the shortest sentence yet has to spend the longest in prison. Strange.
    He got the longest sentence. Life in prison effectively means that a person can be held for the rest of their life if a parole board deem it necessary.
    A 17 year sentence means that you must be released after 17 years, there's no way to extend the sentence.
    I can't find where it says she has to serve just nine years.
    Sky News had the quickest live tweet on it. Apparently the sentence for Mrs Philpott and Mosley was 17 years with a minimum of half that to be served.

He got the longest sentence. Life in prison effectively means that a person can be held for the rest of their life if a parole board deem it necessary.

He got a minimum of 17 years, which means he is eligible for parole after he has done 17 years.

He has not been given a whole life tariff, to die in jail, which currently around 50-odd prisoners are are serving.
    Apparently the sentence for Mrs Philpott and Mosley was 17 years with a minimum of half that to be served.

Yeah, I've just seen that.

And the important words there is "minimum". Mairead Philpott and Mosley have to serve a MINIMUM of half of their 17 year sentences, but the chances are they'll be serving a lot longer than that.

I'll get it right eventually.

Mick Philpott got the shortest sentence. He got 15 years whereas the other two got 17 years.

However Philpott has to serve a minimum of 15 years whereas the other two clowns only have to serve a MINIMUM of half their sentences.

And minimum is the important word. For example, Mairead Philpott has to serve a MINIMUM of half her sentence, but she could end up serving longer than that.

Philpott could be released after 15 years thanks to the parole board, whereas the other two may end up having to do all of their 17 years.

Mick Philpott got the shortest sentence. He got 15 years whereas the other two got 17 years.

However Philpott has to serve a minimum of 15 years whereas the other two clowns only have to serve a MINIMUM of half their sentences.

And minimum is the important word. For example, Mairead Philpott has to serve a MINIMUM of half her sentence, but she could end up serving longer than that.

Philpott could be released after 15 years thanks to the parole board, whereas the other two may end up having to do all of their 17 years.

I think it unlikely that he has the necessary character to pass a parole board heading in 15 years....he'd have to show contrition, admit his crime, have shown good behaviour etc etc.

It is a life sentence, not a 15 year sentence, though I agree that I'd iike to have seen a higher minimum tariff....enough to ensure that he likely dies in prison (given that I suspect his life expectancy, given his previous lifestyle, is not that great). Maybe 20 or 25 years would have ensured that

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

In response, Philpott smiled and made an obscene gesture as he was led from the dock.

This guy is not human

see how smart he is when he arrives in prison

No, he got life. Minimum of which to be served is 15 years :)

That doesn't mean he will be released after 15 years. In fact it's very likely that he won't. It means he cannot apply to be released until 15 years have passed.

The other two clowns can apply for release after 8.5 years.

You're right that technically he could be released by a parole board after 15 years and the other pair be refused parole and serve a full 17 years, but that doesn't make it a harsher sentence.

His sentence actually hangs over his head for life, even if he is released. Commit a crime on parole, he's back in for the rest of his life. For the other pair once their 17 years are up, then any crimes won't automatically land them back in jail.

I see why you'd think he got an easier sentence, but he didn't in reality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

see how smart he is when arrives in prison

totally, he'll get his comeuppance there.... pure evil scum

• Registered Users Posts: 33 raxor

Delighted he finally got the Big House he was always lookin for....

Fuckin piece of shit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

see how smart he is when he arrives in prison

I'm sure at some point in his life sentence he will feel the cold steel of a homemade knife in his back. Child killers are the most hated inmates in prison after rapists. He will have to watch his back or his life could end painfully. What a shame he could not have been sentenced in Saudi Arabia or that other bastion of democracy Texas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

How is LIFE the shortest sentence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

I'll bet a tenner that the woman gets off lightly and gets a daft sentence like 5 years.
    They'll get a light slap on the wrist, only a few years at the most for what they did.

Wrong!

Great to see long sentences handed down, should be pretty obvious from the Judge's remarks that he will never be getting out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Airitech wrote: »
    This happened because he wasn't enough of a man, he was a lazy, pathetic bully.

Society needs to encourage men to be more assertive, confident and resilient. Emasculation takes that away.

I don't know what your comment about same sex parenting is supposed to mean but you are fairly grasping at straws to take a dig at someone.

Children, particularly young men, need a strong male role model in their life but that doesn't necessarily have to be a parent so its no obstacle to same sex female couples raising children.

It's fairly well accepted that absent, abusive or otherwise deficient fathers contribute a lot to delinquency.

The idea of strong, swaggering, macho males repulses me. But maybe he was raised in an equally abusive environment?

We'll never know the full story, which is a shame because it might just help to understand tragedies like this, rather than the cries for the death penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭wordsmithi

He will be 71 when the 15 years are up. His wife will be 40 when half of the 17 yrs are up. I don't know about the other guy. I haven't heard much about him and he didn't testify in court at all.
    Why do they even bother to mention 17 years when they tell the criminals they will serve just a mere half of it?

Can't understand the sentencing at all. Justice????

Imagine actually dousing the petrol knowing that there are six children asleep in their beds upstairs. Your very own children apart from anything else?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Horrible, Horrible people.

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    What a shame he could not have been sentenced in Saudi Arabia or that other bastion of democracy Texas.

:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Airitech

old hippy wrote: »
    The idea of strong, swaggering, macho males repulses me. But maybe he was raised in an equally abusive environment?

We'll never know the full story, which is a shame because it might just help to understand tragedies like this, rather than the cries for the death penalty.

So why are you trying to shoehorn a dig about gay marriage into the thread?

You seem to buy into the stereotype of an alpha male. Do they intimidate you or something?

There is nothing wrong with strength or toughness, but real men, unlike this sad excuse for a person, don't feel the need to swagger or project any macho bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

I
    Philpott could be released after 15 years thanks to the parole board, s.

not. a. snowballs. chance. in. hell.

They're going to let him rot

And proper order too

Airitech wrote: »
    So why are you trying to shoehorn a dig about gay marriage into the thread?

You seem to buy into the stereotype of an alpha male. Do they intimidate you or something?

There is nothing wrong with strength or toughness, but real men, unlike this sad excuse for a person, don't feel the need to swagger or project any macho bs.

Define "real men"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Airitech

old hippy wrote: »
    Define "real men"

The qualities my father has. How would you define it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement