Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(UK) Man loses 5 of his kids in a fire

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Airitech wrote: »
    The qualities my father has. How would you define it?

I wouldn't. There's no such thing as a real man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

old hippy wrote: »

Time for me to unfollow this thread methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The qualities my father has. How would you define it?
    I think you've unwittingly illustrated old hippy's point exactly. What you consider to be a "real man" coincidentally has exactly the same traits as your strongest male role model.

Another person may consider Philpott with his terrified wife and "two bitches" comments to be a "real man".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Airitech

seamus wrote: »
    I think you've unwittingly illustrated old hippy's point exactly. What you consider to be a "real man" coincidentally has exactly the same traits as your strongest male role model.

Another person may consider Philpott with his terrified wife and "two bitches" comments to be a "real man".

These are the qualities I believe a man should hold.

Confidence
    Assertive
    Hard working
    Fair
    Faces up to problems and deals with them
    Looks after his family and those who need help
    Stands up for his beliefs
    Believes in action not talk

That's what my father is like, what he taught me to be and what I will be teaching my son.

My last post was abrupt because old hippy is using this thread to try to score points against people he doesn't agree with; Daily Mail readers, gay marriage opponents etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Wrong!

Great to see long sentences handed down, should be pretty obvious from the Judge's remarks that he will never be getting out.
    I was quite glad to read the report of the sentences this morning... he got what he deserved.

• Advertisement

I was quite glad to read the report of the sentences this morning... he got what he deserved.

I'd like to have seen a longer minimum sentence for all of them, but realistically Mick Philpott doesn't stand any chance of getting parole after 17 years.

These are the qualities I believe a man should hold.

Confidence
    Assertive
    Hard working
    Fair
    Faces up to problems and deals with them
    Looks after his family and those who need help
    Stands up for his beliefs
    Believes in action not talk

That's what my father is like, what he taught me to be and what I will be teaching my son.

My last post was abrupt because old hippy is using this thread to try to score points against people he doesn't agree with; Daily Mail readers, gay marriage opponents etc.

No. I was posting that tangent because I'm constantly amazed by the idignation and hubris on boards on some topics. How one should conduct oneself socially, how one should fit it and what happens when people stray from the "norm" be it in a violently criminal way or just not adhering to the herd.

You yourself have just asserted a set of rules that makes a "real" man. How do you feel when people deviate from them? Are they not "real"?

No. I was posting that tangent because I'm constantly amazed by the idignation and hubris on boards on some topics. How one should conduct oneself socially, how one should fit it and what happens when people stray from the "norm" be it in a violently criminal way or just not adhering to the herd.

You yourself have just asserted a set of rules that makes a "real" man. How do you feel when people deviate from them? Are they not "real"?

Don't get too hung up on a single adjective I used, that's the sign of
    pedantry. Try to understand the concept, a man who deserves respect, a role model.

You didn't answer why you needed to use his tragedy to make some unclear point about gay marriage? You have already been called out on this thread by other posters for your mock outrage to score points. I'm guessing this is more of the same.

I posted a list of traits I respect and society would generally feel desirable in a man ( and woman) too. They aren't rules, but they will earn my respect.

Don't get too hung up on a single adjective I used, that's the sign of
    pedantry. Try to understand the concept, a man who deserves respect, a role model.

You didn't answer why you needed to use his tragedy to make some unclear point about gay marriage? You have already been called out on this thread by other posters for your mock outrage to score points. I'm guessing this is more of the same.

Guess away, so. I made the comment because some out there will bleat on about "proper" parenting or hetero marriages. How we should aspire to such. There's no such thing as "proper".

I've never expressed mock outrage in my life. I think you're mixing me up with someone else.

• Advertisement

Guess away, so. I made the comment because some out there will bleat on about "proper" parenting or hetero marriages. How we should aspire to such. There's no such thing as "proper".

I've never expressed mock outrage in my life. I think you're mixing me up with someone else.

Quote: old hippy
    I guess all the DM loving anti-benefits crowd will be barely able to surpress their glee over this

Between that and your gay marriage comments its clear you have an agenda to push.

You'd swear he was caught without a tv licence. People were shocked by a callous murder, you were just upset that it might lend weight to your opponents arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I watched the BBC documentary last night on it, shocking stuff.......

I was bemused at how Philpot and his wife said in secret recording how the couldn't figure out how the fire caught hold so quick and spread..........fcuking thicks.........Petrol (an accellerant), on a man made carpet, at the base of a upvc front door, at the base of a stairwell.........ignorant vermin scum.....

I hope they never get out...........ever .........

Can I watch the documentary online anywhere?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

What do you be smoking.

Can I watch the documentary online anywhere?

BBC iPlayer, Panorama programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Here was me thinking all men were real:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I'm disappointed at the sentences, particularly Philpott's. If "whole of natural life" in prison is available as a tariff for manslaughter in England, why was it not used? There is no-one I can think of more deserving of such a sentence.

There may be the torture for him of believing he will get released on licence (I pray he won't) but you never know.

I guess he'll be straight into a secure segregated prison somewhere to live out his life with the insect-type cockroaches for company. I just hope some big macho jail-house stud doesn't take it into his head to end Philpott's misery early.

Did anyone hear were there recommendations for the care of the other 11 children and mothers who had fallen under Philpott's thrall? I'd imagine extensive periods of detoxification and de-programming from Philpott's malign influence as well as their siblings' violent deaths would be provided for. Too late as usual to prevent the actions of this monster, maybe the Social Services in England can now intervene to help prevent more tragedy and misery in the future.

mathepac wrote: »
    I'm disappointed at the sentences, particularly Philpott's. If "whole of natural life" in prison is available as a tariff for manslaughter in England, why was it not used? There is no-one I can think of more deserving of such a sentence.
    The UK's system is very similar to ours. Even if "life without parole" is an option open to the judge, the defence can make an appeal against the sentence on the basis that it's too harsh.

There's then a risk that another judge will reduce the term to something like minimum ten years.

This judge would use her experience to try and determine what's an appropriate sentence that is least likely to be overturned on appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

While in custody Philpott was still clinging onto the deluded hope that he and wife might still be released with his lawyer explaining to the judge that ''since the time he stabbed his ex girlfriend and her mother he had changed and become a loving father to his kids '' ... of course the judge wasn't having any of that shyte .How any lawyer would even want to represent this pile of piss is shocking and the idea that he may be released sooner or at all is abhorrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I doubt we have heard the last from this piece of s**t yet.
    The guy is a media whore - probably planning his book now... he might build himself up a nice little nest egg for his release, on the back of his crimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I doubt we have heard the last from this piece of s**t yet.
    The guy is a media whore - probably planning his book now... he might build himself up a nice little nest egg for his release, on the back of his crimes!

That can't be done in the UK, can't be paid for interviews or receive fees or royalties for anything in relation to the crime.

• Advertisement

That can't be done in the UK, can't be paid for interviews or receive fees or royalties for anything in relation to the crime.
    Only in relation to the actual crime, as it falls under the proceeds of crime.

I'm sure there are plenty of PR bloodsuckers gurus lining up to advise Philpott and his wife on the best way to produce a compelling biography.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Latchy wrote: »
    While in custody Philpott was still clinging onto the deluded hope that he and wife might still be released with his lawyer explaining to the judge that ''since the time he stabbed his ex girlfriend and her mother he had changed and become a loving father to his kids '' ... of course the judge wasn't having any of that shyte .How any lawyer would even want to represent this pile of piss is shocking and the idea that he may be released sooner or at all is abhorrent. How any lawyer would even want to represent this pile of piss is shocking and the idea that he may be released sooner or at all is abhorrent.

Barristers don't get any choice in the matter, if your name is next on the list and you get 'Philpott (Defence)' as your case then you are sworn to do the best by your client.
    Try to get it thrown out on a technicality, if not then try to get them found not guilty, and failing that try to get the sentence mitigated.

Quote: old hippy
    I guess all the DM loving anti-benefits crowd will be barely able to surpress their glee over this

Between that and your gay marriage comments its clear you have an agenda to push.

You'd swear he was caught without a tv licence. People were shocked by a callous murder, you were just upset that it might lend weight to your opponents arguments.

I'm saddened but not shocked at the depravity of mankind. How upset do you want me to be, exactly? :confused:

The UK's system is very similar to ours. Even if "life without parole" is an option open to the judge, the defence can make an appeal against the sentence on the basis that it's too harsh.

There's then a risk that another judge will reduce the term to something like minimum ten years.

This judge would use her experience to try and determine what's an appropriate sentence that is least likely to be overturned on appeal.

We have had similiar issues here with life sentences for rape being overturned, like Christy Griffin:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/sex-abuser-griffin-has-sentence-reduced-to-15-years-26779763.html

"Griffin (42), of Ridgewood Green, Swords, Co Dublin, and formerly of Canon Lillis Avenue in the north inner city, learned from his prison cell that his bid had proved successful as Mr Justice Nial Fennelly found the trial judge had erred in imposing a life sentence on two counts of rape.

The three-judge Court of Criminal Appeal (CCA), with Mr Justice Fennelly presiding, said the trial judge, Mr Justice Paul Carney, appeared to have treated Griffin's criminal record, described as "horrendous", as including "so-called extraneous events" relating to "some form of feud" when he handed down the life sentence."

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Abracadabra99

BBC iPlayer, Panorama programme.

Is BBC iplayer available in Ireland? Whenver I try to use it, it usually tells me I cannot watch it in my region or something.
    Can you access it from here?

I'm saddened but not shocked at the depravity of mankind. How upset do you want me to be, exactly? :confused:

Just enough to lay off the cheap digs for one thread, I wouldn't have thought it was hard to not try and capitalise on a tragedy like that so you can get one up on people you don't agree with.

You must have very little in your life to cause you to be such a small petty man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Barristers don't get any choice in the matter, if your name is next on the list and you get 'Philpott (Defence)' as your case then you are sworn to do the best by your client.
    Try to get it thrown out on a technicality, if not then try to get them found not guilty, and failing that try to get the sentence mitigated.
    Many evil people get lenient sentences as a result of good defence by barristers of course .It's just a pity that it doesn't apply as to how the defendant should spend his time in jail ie, breaking rocks in a quarry, or some cosy rehabilitation which will have zero effect ? .

Only in relation to the actual crime, as it falls under the proceeds of crime.

I'm sure there are plenty of PR bloodsuckers gurus lining up to advise Philpott and his wife on the best way to produce a compelling biography.

This article expands on this a bit .http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2303659/Mick-Philpott-Jeremy-Kyle-How-TV-helped-create-Shameless-Mick.html

I fcuking hate the JK show to .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Would their fellow inmates be informed as to who they are and what they've done?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

KKkitty wrote: »
    Would their fellow inmates be informed as to who they are and what they've done?

I would give it 2 minutes before they are recognised

• Advertisement

KKkitty wrote: »

I don't think the inmates would be told explicitly but they have newspapers and TVs so everyone would know who the three are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement