Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pronunciations that drive you mad

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Not really pronunciation but when people say "should of" or that something was "robbed" when they mean stolen

I never heard any one say something was "should of" when it had been stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

then you must be in your 90's, and lived on a road with the black and tans

So you have had personal testimony from Milk & Honey and myself who have modern day connections with Irish defence force personnel, you have also been given up to date Irish TV and Radio clips with "Leftenant" as the pronunciation, yet you still say that its Loo-tenant, what can I say :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

delricyo wrote: »
    My father (very different generation) insists that the Irish pronounce the letter R incorrectly. He says we should not be saying arrrrr like pirates :) It should be closer to the way the Brits say it - ahhhh
    Actually up until the fifties a lot of British people pronounced it as we do. It's the original pronunciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Not really pronunciation but when people say "should of" or that something was "robbed" when they mean stolen
    I never heard any one say something was "should of" when it had been stolen.

I do apologise for confusing you. I of course meant those who say 'should of' instead of 'should have'. Hope that clears it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

On a related note: the difference between "borrow" and "lend". Example:
    "Can I lend some money?"
    "Of course you can. I'd like to borrow €10, please".

(Don't get me started on the difference between "can I?" and "may I?" ...)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

bnt wrote: »
    (Don't get me started on the difference between "can I?" and "may I?" ...)

Woah there.

I know exactly what you are saying BUT, modern day grammar texts will advise you that CAN as usage for permission (as in the more traditionally correct MAY) is now regarded as acceptable.

True.

A relatively recent phenomenon I think (early 90s or so?)

BUT, I doubt the users you refer to know this, so it still counts as an annoying error. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Ruralyoke wrote: »
    Woah there.

I know exactly what you are saying BUT, modern day grammar texts will advise you that CAN as usage for permission (as in the more traditionally correct MAY) is now regarded as acceptable.

True.

A relatively recent phenomenon I think (early 90s or so?)

BUT, I doubt the users you refer to know this, so it still counts as an annoying error. :p

I remember having an absolute tool of a substitute teacher in primary school who, when I asked "Can I go to toilet," adopted a smug expression and replied "No, not until you ask properly!" and made me ask over and over until I figured out that he wanted me to say "May I..." instead.

The only thing worse than a stupid person is a stupid person who thinks he's smarter than you.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Ninap

If we're into general misuse of English, then two rather frequent errors on Boards (and elsewhere, of course) are 'discrete' when the writer means 'discreet', and 'compliment', when the individual really intends 'complement'.

Pip pip

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Gbear wrote: »
    Not pronunciation but does it piss anyone else off when Brits go on about Eire? You don't say Italia or Deutschland - it's Ireland you gob****es. :mad:

Little harsh poster !

Whats on all our stamps ?

What is on all our coins ?

Eire !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Most of the sh1te posted here is past redemption....just suck it up !

Here's another one

"I got it off him"

"I got the lend of a tenner off him"

It's FROM him pal ...I got it from him...

Even the Knobs in AAAARR TTEE EE say OFF.

Must be right so ...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Solair wrote: »
    RTE artificial forced pronunciations:

Portlaoise - Pohrt-Laoisha (Nobody says this except RTE)

//

Ask anybody from Portlaoise and they don't pronounce the E at the end of Portlaoise.

Only RTE do this.

And yeah, what's the story with every gobsh1te GAA commentator saying the word tremendous as tremenjous. Aggggghhhhh :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭nessy382

some girl i know say's waaaaaaaaaaat real dopey like it wrecks me head its suppose to be WHAT now waaaaaaaaat lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

LordSutch wrote: »
    So you have had personal testimony from Milk & Honey and myself who have modern day connections with Irish defence force personnel, you have also been given up to date Irish TV and Radio clips with "Leftenant" as the pronunciation, yet you still say that its Loo-tenant, what can I say :(

That they're pronouncing it incorrectly?

Note the lack of an 'f' sound in these words.
    Just because a nation got it wrong, or based it off an old (out-dated, even to the French) spelling doesn't mean you should continue the mistake.
    Either revert to the very old spelling, where it would make sense, or keep the new and pronounce it properly.
    Unless you think 'Cobh' should be pronounced 'Queenstown'?
    I mean, it's spelled differently now, but it used to be pronounced that way, right?
    Heaven's to Betsy, what should we do?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BattleCorp wrote: »
    And yeah, what's the story with every gobsh1te GAA commentator saying the word trememdous as tremenjous.
    Another Hiberno-English thing IIRC BC. Again IIRC(and Irish scholars look away:)) as Gealige you don't get the hard D in the middle of a word like that the way you do as Bearla, it's more a G/J sound. Another one is "Garjian" for Guardian.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

grindle wrote: »

Just because a nation got it wrong, or based it off an old (out-dated, even to the French) spelling doesn't mean you should continue the mistake.
    Either revert to the very old spelling, where it would make sense, or keep the new and pronounce it properly.
    I mean, it's spelled differently now, but it used to be pronounced that way, right?
    Maybe, though tradition counts too IMHO. If people have gotten* used to saying "Left" in lieu of... Sorry :o:)) then fine. Yes it's history is a bit arseways, but again the fact it's "wrong" is part of the fossil record of language and culture. The very fact it was changed from the French tells us of the history of the why.

*"Gotten" you tend to hear/read less I reckon these days. I' use it a fair bit, but I'm odd.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Little harsh poster !

Whats on all our stamps ?

What is on all our coins ?

Eire !

And German stamps? It's the native language of the country! Wowzers! But do the english say Deutschland? No.

It's just gob****ery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Three of my pet hates are theatre pronounced as thee-ate-r and column pronounced colume - favoured by Matt Cooper and Enda Kenny amongst others and vehicle or ve-hi-cle as pronounced by some members of the gardai. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

tree-a-tee (treaty)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Wibbs wrote: »
    *"Gotten" you tend to hear/read less I reckon these days. I' use it a fair bit, but I'm odd.

OUCH!
    I guess I've gotten used to saying 'got' in the incorrect situation (all of the situations: I've gotten lazy), and you're correct to point it out.

Excellent catch, Wibbs.
    I'd doff my cap but I'm usin' it to knob me bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Maybe, though tradition counts too IMHO. If people have gotten* used to saying "Left" in lieu of... Sorry :o:)) then fine. Yes it's history is a bit arseways, but again the fact it's "wrong" is part of the fossil record of language and culture. The very fact it was changed from the French tells us of the history of the why.

Gotten went to America and stayed in use there while falling out of use in England and Ireland. I don't think there is much point in complaining about American pronounciations, English is a global language which keeps changing all the time. And it is a very strange language.

http://www.spellingsociety.org/news/media/poems.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Patsy down the road died, did you hear?

Yes I heard he died of a Thursday

When is the funeral?

It's of a Sunday

Excellent catch, Wibbs.
    I'd doff my cap but I'm usin' it to knob me bird.
    :pac::pac::pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mtnh

HIGH-undai for Hyundai.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

mtnh wrote: »
    HIGH-undai for Hyundai.

Isn't that how they pronounce it in their own ads?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mtnh

Gbear wrote: »
    Isn't that how they pronounce it in their own ads?

Yes, which is even more annoying.

The "Y" should not be pronounced as a vowel. Pronouncing it as a consonant would be the correct Korean pronunciation. I have no idea why they insist on HIGHundai.

I think to be even more pedantic the correct pronunciation is hyun-day and not dye, but that doesn't bother me as much!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Current Super-Valu ice-cream ad: the guy on it says "We represent two tousand dairy farmers, and our relationship with Super-Valu is important to every one of dem."

I know those pronunciations are common enough in Ireland, but it really grates when I hear him say that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

People in Britain don't say 'gotten' and technically 'gotten' is wrong, but pretty everyone I come across in Ireland does. I say it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭CorsetIsTight

That small arboreal rodent with the bushy tail...?

Whether it's red or grey, it's a squirrel.

There's no such animal as a skwurl.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

That small arboreal rodent with the bushy tail...?

Whether it's red or grey, it's a squirrel.

There's no such animal as a skwurl.

That just reminds me, I remember reading somewhere (Spanish phrasebook or guidebook), that you shouldn't be hesitant about speaking Spanish; just open your mouth and speak... and if anyone Spanish laughs at your accent, just ask them to say "squirrel". :D

Anyway, back on topic... there's one girl here in work who pronounces "everything" as "Everton". :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

There is no reason to suppose that pronunciation should change because spelling changes. Many words have a pronunciation which differs from the spelling. Cobh was once Cove then became Queenstown before becoming Cobh. When know as Queenstown it was not pronounced as Cove or Cobh.

Advertisement