Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pronunciations that drive you mad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

CahLENder.
    Usually said by the COMitty people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Cokeistan wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned here or not but...

I hate it when people say "Scon" instead of "Scone", drives me mental!!!!

If you're looking for precedent on how to pronounce it you can look at gone rhyming with scon or alone rhyming with scone.

English is a stupid language with rubbish grammatical rules that don't work but that's another thread entirely.

I think "scon" is technically correct but I think it sounds stupid so i say "scone".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Gbear wrote: »
    If you're looking for precedent on how to pronounce it you can look at gone rhyming with scon or alone rhyming with scone.

English is a stupid language with rubbish grammatical rules that don't work but that's another thread entirely.

I think "scon" is technically correct but I think it sounds stupid so i say "scone".

Both are correct.

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=scone&submit=Submit

I asked the maid in dulcet tone

To order me a buttered scone.

The silly girl has been and gone

And ordered me a buttered scone.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

"Cum" as in Come

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

that fella pat spillane from kerry saying 'ermegh' for armagh:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Frada

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Frada

:confused:

So this pronunciation annoys you... but for the benefit of those of us who can't read your mind, what's the actual word being pronounced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

I'll get it. I'm working on it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

The expression *WILL i get you some apples from Tesco?* *WILL I put the cat out?* *WILL I bring it in to you* What is wrong with should I,shall I, can I ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Patsy down the road died, did you hear?

Yes I heard he died of a Thursday

When is the funeral?

It's of a Sunday

Was that Patsy O'Hara from down Drisheen way ?

I never knew he was gone....poor Patsy..well liked ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Lon.C

A girl I know calls Paris... Paaaris. It really gets me. And she seems to say it an awful lot.
    How the fook can someone always get Paris into conversation!!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

People pronouncing Lidl as ''lih-dil'' or ''l-eye-dil''. IT'S PRONOUNCED LIKE ''LEE-DIL''.

See;
    http://www.rightpronunciation.com/details.asp?id=3709&id2=23

Annoys me so much. And because so many people pronounce it wrong (mostly ''lih-dil'' from what I hear), they generally refuse to believe that the majority of them have been pronouncing it wrong the whole time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Funny, it's one of the pronunciations that I don't give a toss about as I despise all supermarket chains. I have always wrongly (?) called it Lid-dyl and will proudly continue to do so. Good for cheap organic milk though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

People pronouncing Lidl as ''lih-dil'' or ''l-eye-dil''. IT'S PRONOUNCED LIKE ''LEE-DIL''.

See;
    http://www.rightpronunciation.com/details.asp?id=3709&id2=23

Annoys me so much. And because so many people pronounce it wrong (mostly ''lih-dil'' from what I hear), they generally refuse to believe that the majority of them have been pronouncing it wrong the whole time.

In fairness, most people can't pronounce any other words in german either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

"inshular" for insular.

"inshulated" for insulated etc.

I have always wrongly (?) called it Lid-dyl and will proudly continue to do so.

Yeah that's my point, no matter what you tell people, they still just continue to pronounce it the wrong way haha whatever suits though

BattleCorp wrote: »

My point was just that it annoys me when people learn the proper pronunciation but still pronounce it the wrong way, not whether people should automatically know which way to pronounce German words

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

It has probably already been said but when the most senior professor who presides over an entire university faculty and seemingly cannot tell the difference between "Specific" and "Pacific", I have to fight the urge to launch a chair at their head!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Database, there are a few others too can't think of them off the top of my head though. There are two ways of saying it but some people say it one way or the other. date-ah-base which I don't like too americanny prefer data-base! as in its a database made of data!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

That spanner Matt Cooper trying to pronounce "Theatre".
    "Thhey-atra"

What a ****in spanner...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

BattleCorp wrote: »

My point was just that it annoys me when people learn the proper pronunciation but still pronounce it the wrong way, not whether people should automatically know which way to pronounce German words

To be fair, no one knows how to pronounce German words automatically. Even Germans have to learn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Loanwords are an awkward subject, because there's no rule in English for dealing with them. In French, for example, almost every borrowed word is prononced as if it were a French word (except Playstation for some reason!), and it's the same with a lot of things in Spanish.

So technically, you're entitled to pronounce loanwords as they would be pronounced in your native language. It would be wrong if they were speaking German and said "lih-dil", but not so much if they're speaking English, French, Spanish, Turkish, Swahili, etc!

(Having said that... I hate when people pronounce the J in "fajitas", but that's because it sounds vaguely dirty in English :pac: - reminds me of vajazzle :P)

Loanwords are an awkward subject, because there's no rule in English for dealing with them. In French, for example, almost every borrowed word is prononced as if it were a French word (except Playstation for some reason!), and it's the same with a lot of things in Spanish.

So technically, you're entitled to pronounce loanwords as they would be pronounced in your native language. It would be wrong if they were speaking German and said "lih-dil", but not so much if they're speaking English, French, Spanish, Turkish, Swahili, etc!

(Having said that... I hate when people pronounce the J in "fajitas", but that's because it sounds vaguely dirty in English :pac: - reminds me of vajazzle :P)

haha well jees your name fairly suits the topic at hand anyway lol but ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

grindle wrote: »
    OUCH!
    I guess I've gotten used to saying 'got' in the incorrect situation (all of the situations: I've gotten lazy), and you're correct to point it out.

Excellent catch, Wibbs.
    I'd doff my cap but I'm usin' it to knob me bird.

'Gotten' is wrong in ALL situations, in this neck of the woods anyway.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/gotten

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

When people pronounce nuclear as nuke-u-ler insytead of new-clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Sea Filly wrote: »

'Gotten' is wrong in ALL situations, in this neck of the woods anyway.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/gotten

Re-read your link.
    The form gotten is not used in British English but is very common in North American English, though even there it is often regarded as non-standard

British English might be the de facto standard, but I can see the use for 'gotten'.
    Although, your post backs up my previous assertion, so SCREW YOU, WIBBS!

Bloody word-tyrant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

grindle wrote: »
    Re-read your link.

British English might be the de facto standard, but I can see the use for 'gotten'.
    Although, your post backs up my previous assertion, so SCREW YOU, WIBBS!

Bloody word-tyrant.

You're right, of course, but I don't think 'gotten' could ever be considered more correct than 'got'.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Gotten seems to be present in some Hiberno English. I've noted older people of different backgrounds(in Dublin anyway) using it. I didn't lick it from a stone anyway and I would generally not use that many American English expressions/words. It would make sense if it was present in HE. It's an archaic usage and we have other examples of that in HE.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

mtnh wrote: »
    Yes, which is even more annoying.

The "Y" should not be pronounced as a vowel. Pronouncing it as a consonant would be the correct Korean pronunciation. I have no idea why they insist on HIGHundai.

I think to be even more pedantic the correct pronunciation is hyun-day and not dye, but that doesn't bother me as much!

Funny thing is I used to work for Hyundai and was once in a 3 day seminar in Seoul with representatives from all the oversea markets and at the end of the seminar one of the organisers of the event took to the pedastal and said he had heard MANY pronunciations of the word Hyundai over the event and would like to inform people that the correct pronunciation is actually hee-un-day and would like us to at least take this piece of wisdom away from the 3 days. He said it with a smile but it was oobvious it had p*ssed him off listening to the word being mispronounced in probably at least 20 different accents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

On their ads in America, it's pronounced Hoon-day (sort of rhyming with "one day").

Advertisement